Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE - walking in station a reality - video link

We have finally got some footage of the work that EVE's developers have been putting in to introducing an 'out of ship' mode...

I have to say that I personally think it looks great. The shot where the characters walk into the docking bay reminds me of epic sci-fi movies... it even better when you realise that the ship pictures is only a Zealot (a cruiser class vessel)... Can't imagine how huge a battleship, dreadnought or carrier will look...

Anyway, view for yourselves here:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=485

Also some additional new EVE news on this link...

http://www.gamersinfo.net/index.php?art/id:1598

The majority view on the EVE forums is that this looks real nice, of course there are always people who don't like change and complain that the developers should be focused on other things (a reasonable point). Personally however I think this will add a whole new level of depth to EVE especially as one of the consistent complaints about the game is that 'ships' are hard to love as Avatars (though I personally always love looking at my Archon in dock)

Amarr Victor

Comments

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094
    Looks sweet, im no EvE fan never made ot passed the tutorial (bored the hell out of me) but this looks like a nice addition and will add more appeal to the game for MMO vets.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

So you mean that now besides getting cheats from the developers my character can actually walk around the station and RP being just as useless as he was since beta?

Right On!.. I'm going to sleep...

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    We can walk freely or is it like Freelancer?
  • HardinHardin Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Precusor

We can walk freely or is it like Freelancer?

Walk freely I believe...

There will be a variety of areas to visit and interact in in each station...

Amarr Victor

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

I've always liked the idea of Eve, I'm not one for arcade type flying sims but the times I treid to play Eve I thought it was really well done.

My main issue was always that it was impersonal and cold, which made the game boring for me. Adding avatars and social locations would without a doubt bring me back for another try and would go a long way to holding my play time in game. That being said, there has to be a point to it, just being able to out of ship just stand around and look at your pretty character would just be silly.

I think it's a great opportunity for CCP to bring in some social skills and put them into gameplay. Thoughts of being able to live on a space station doing some kind of work, trading or shop owner's get me really excited. Although I'm sure that's not what they're looking at.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    Heh, size only gets you so far before all you're looking at is a freaking wall.

Not to rag on it of course, I love this.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by shae

I've always liked the idea of Eve, I'm not one for arcade type flying sims but the times I treid to play Eve I thought it was really well done.
    My main issue was always that it was impersonal and cold, which made the game boring for me. Adding avatars and social locations would without a doubt bring me back for another try and would go a long way to holding my play time in game. That being said, there has to be a point to it, just being able to out of ship just stand around and look at your pretty character would just be silly.
    I think it's a great opportunity for CCP to bring in some social skills and put them into gameplay. Thoughts of being able to live on a space station doing some kind of work, trading or shop owner's get me really excited. Although I'm sure that's not what they're looking at.

Well it definately looks nice.

I'm in the same boat as you Shae. I've tried this game so many times its not funny. It just feels to removed or something. No matter how you slice it, it just feels like half a game. Maybe with this it will flesh it out. I see it merits but its just not a good match for me I guess. To slow, to mello, and a few "baggage" things I don't want to get into here. I use to run EVE and mine while running my Lineage II shop & craft SS at the same time. One of the low points of my MMO career. It worked though, I was rich in both games. It only cost me about 1/3 of my braincells from the damage the boredom did.

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646
    This looks awesome. Really looking forward to this.

And the graphics are awesome. Awesome to see the actual size of a ship, they always feel alot smaller than they really are.
  • shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509
    Originally posted by Torak

Originally posted by shae

Well it definately looks nice.

I'm in the same boat as you Shae. I've tried this game so many times its not funny. It just feels to removed or something. No matter how you slice it, it just feels like half a game. Maybe with this it will flesh it out. I see it merits but its just not a good match for me I guess. To slow, to mello, and a few "baggage" things I don't want to get into here. I use to run EVE and mine while running my Lineage II shop & craft SS at the same time. One of the low points of my MMO career. It worked though, I was rich in both games. It only cost me about 1/3 of my braincells from the damage the boredom did.

LOL Yeah that's not good at all Tor. You know you've gotten into a slump when your playing two MMO at the same time, doesn't say much for those games either.

Back to Eve though, I really do like alot of it's mechanics, I really love the PVP system, I like the resource collectin/minning, it's always intrigued me but as you said, there's just no soul to the game. It's hard for someone like me that counts more on feeling than actual gameplay to get me into the world to play.

Like I said though, I hope they make it more than JUST a walking around session and something people can spend time at, enjoying themselves and being part of the world.

• Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

Everyone is soo busy ogling over the Ambulation video that they missed this clever little snip from the GamersInfo.Net article.

In addition they are looking at introducing several new clients in the upcoming months including a Linux Client (in around 3 weeks) and a Mac client sometime this summer.

CCP has been saying forever that they would not do a Linux version of the client and only recently expressed interest in a Mac version after mentioning a discussion with TransGaming about their Cider API (Windows apps on Mac). Now out of the blue they will have a Linux client released within 2 months and a Mac version slightly after that. WTF, but Awesome news!

//insert sig here
  • PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    They are very very very very very very talented Devs, now if only they did not act like a Chicago mayor

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    Originally posted by heartless

So you mean that now besides getting cheats from the developers my character can actually walk around the station and RP being just as useless as he was since beta?
    Right On!.. I'm going to sleep...

damn trolls

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• HardinHardin Member Posts: 70

Apparently players of the game will have the option to turn off the 'walking in stations' element if they don't want to participate.

Also according to a recent dev blog the stations element will be hosted on different servers so shouldnt impact the traditional aspect of the game. Indeed if all the people who spend half their lives afking in JITA (the main market system) actually switch to the 'walking' servers it could arguably spread the load on the servers...

Amarr Victor

• faseleifaselei Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Ooh wow. After all these years it might be worth trying it out...

You know the real reason i never played? I KNOW i will get hooked.
  • LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    This is a MUCH needed addition imho. There's just one problem I can see, and that's that if you can walk freely in any station, the majority will probably be deserted considering the size of the universe...

If only I could get Eve to work It crashes every time I click create char
  • ApocalypticaApocalyptica Member Posts: 491
    Nice, I will definitely play a little EvE again when that is out. Before it always bugged me having nor real char. Video looks cool.

------------------------------------------------------
    Do I ever sleep?

• derf26derf26 Member Posts: 123
    This is good to see.

I've recently stopped playing Eve after 3 years because I tried everythign out, but I'm thinkign that this could add a new Roleplay dimension for me, and I might start some roleplay corp or somethign when this comes out...

Good going CCP
  • outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I wonder if  they will have like crafting stations.  I was an avid player of Earth and beyond.  You could trade with each other and equip your ship in the station.

The only thing they couldnt do is sit on chairs and stuff. Oh, You could never see other player ships in the station, only yours.

You could actually walk around your ship and see the missle launchers and weapons. 

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Originally posted by Hardin

Apparently players of the game will have the option to turn off the 'walking in stations' element if they don't want to participate.
    Also according to a recent dev blog the stations element will be hosted on different servers so shouldnt impact the traditional aspect of the game. Indeed if all the people who spend half their lives afking in JITA (the main market system) actually switch to the 'walking' servers it could arguably spread the load on the servers...
    It would be nice to reduce the load on the afk spammers if the primary trade systems were moved to a different server due to people standing inside the stations.
  • LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    Originally posted by daeandor

It would be nice to reduce the load on the afk spammers if the primary trade systems were moved to a different server due to people standing inside the stations.

Yea that would be good.

• seanseanseansean Member Posts: 119
    I've subbed and cancelled 3 times in the last year, I love the game, but it does seem impersonal as others have posted. This might make me try it again and stay.
  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

So if you can "turn it off" what exactly is this bringing to the game? A pure RP feature and no utility? Thats fine, I'm just wondering is all.
  • LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    Torak its basically just a social feature a way of giving people to immerse themselves in eve for a change, While it adds little to the main game one day i think it will and even if it doesant its another semi-free feature.

• coldlazcoldlaz Member Posts: 2
    Hardin you ol slaver you

i watched the vid and i was impresed with the holo map in the "boardroom" i can see the FC's aranging battles and waypoints there
  • WARCRYtmWARCRYtm Member Posts: 875

EVE is the best mmo you can find

Wen this commes to live

EVE will get thousands of new players