Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protection Warrior

Is going all Protection on your warrior advisable?  I heard that it's obviously good for tanking etc, but the only thing I worry about is PvP.  Or is it possible to PvP well with Protection talents?

Thanks. =)

Comments

• supergunnarsupergunnar Member Posts: 90
    Well im running protection on my 70 orc! And i would advise you to do the same , tanking is alot easier, i can pve grind very easily ( using some dps gear with some +hit on it is very advisable! ). I can do fine in PvP, if im not alone, if im alone, well i survive a bit longer, but so does my enemies.

• VeeZarDVeeZarD Member CommonPosts: 93
    If you want to pvp go for dual wield fury for some awsome dps, or 2h arms for huge crits. thers also a 2h fury build but im not sure about it. Prot is for tanking in instances not for pvp. GL and HF
  • AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    You can PvP with a prot spec, although only as part of a team. I've done so at the 30-39 level, so I can't speak much for endgame pvp.

Don't try to get kills - it isn't your job (although you will get some). Concentrate on  getting into the faces of the enemy back line and attracting as much attention to yourself as possible. Run in first. Hamstring, disarm, shield pash and intimidating shout are all your friends. If you can succesfully encourage the enemy to focus their fire on you then your own back line will drop them in record speed. It's useful to have a macro to quickly switch between a shield and 2-hander.

A prot warrior + healer pair also makes an excellent flag carrying team.

However, having said that, prot spec is not needed for dungeons at low levels (IMO below 50). The following are all far more important than a warrior's spec:

- Knowing which skills generate aggro. There are excellent stickies on this subject in the Blizzard warrior forums

- Having good gear

- Being aware of what is going on around you.
  • ferofaxferofax Member Posts: 82
    if you go protection all the way with your warrior, your DPS wouldnt be good enough for 1on1 PvPs... its either PvE tanking for you, or go grab a couple of friends with good DPS.

---------------------------------
    be a sweetheart, help me dominate the world...

• kaskuskaskus Member Posts: 105
    a protection warrior is a great tanker when it comes to pve..but in pvp well, protection will make the opponent  work hard and time spending to kill them..in pvp i have seen a fury protection warrior and surely owned his opponent..it's a touch of offense and a definitely  nice defense for so called killing spree warrior
  • baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Fopr PvP you will own all spell casters one on one. They will never get a spell off. You will frustrate the pants off of all rogues as they won't get much in the way of crits.

The bulk of a protection warrioirs powers is aimed at creating aggro aainst AI. IT's not really geared for PVP.

In fact it's not much fun for PVE either.  But in boss fights....you are the daddy. 

• Jo-GamerJo-Gamer Member Posts: 120

Thank you for your posts everyone.  I like tanking alot, I enjoy PvE and like a little PvP on the side.  Just wanted to know if I could hold my own, I tend to play with a few of my friends anyway.  So I'm happy.

Thanks again.

• iddmitriiddmitri Member UncommonPosts: 671
    For group PvP protection might work but definitely not for solo queueing.
  • supergunnarsupergunnar Member Posts: 90
    I crit from 1000-1300 with Shield Slam on my 70 warrior. .. (Which has 3-5sec cooldown)

• kaskuskaskus Member Posts: 105
    protection warrior is all about tanking and defensing...for a level 70 protection warrior,1000-1300 critical is not bad for a protection warrior...hard to kill nose bleeding protection warrior is big advantage to have a more than 1k crits..you own dude
  • Jo-GamerJo-Gamer Member Posts: 120

I'm almost level 30 warrior, and still all on protection.  I've had quite a few PvP encounters now, and I'm doing quite well.  Most I've won, for some reason I am beating fellow warriors alot.  Typically fury spec, and all around my level.  So I'm quite happy with that, though I seem to be having trouble with mages and hunters.  But I guess that's my limit. =P

But in all I am happy with my performance.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I've been playing a protection warrior for quite some time.

If you want to PVP regularly but stil enjoy/need to tank for instances/raids, there are lots of different build options.

For instance, the "core" of the protection spec is really in the first 15-20 points. Increased armor, defense, threat generation and the Last Stand ability. You can get all of that w/ only 14 points in protection. Though, if you want to be a little more serious about tanking, I'd recommend putting 2 talent points into Improved Taunt, that 2 seconds difference can mean life or death for your party/raid. Also, the talent to retain an additional 15 rage when switching stances is great for a PVP/pve hybrid spec. So with those two you are still only looking at 19 points in protection. This still leaves you 42 points to spend in arms or fury, I say "or" becuase you really can't do both effectively without gimping yourself.

You can easily spend those 42 points in the arms true for some NICE 2h PVP action, I'd recommend speccing into Maces for the stun or Poleaxe for the extra crit chance. Make sure to pick up the talents that make you immune to disarm, which is very useful in PVP and heroic instances, and the talents that lets you regenerate health and rage if you are stunned.

Or, spend the 42 points into the Fury tree, that way you can actually tank while dual wielding and be able to regenerate health, cause massive damage and hold agro well. Obviously, your health and armor will be much lower, however with talent points spent into Commanding presence, you can have increased attack power for PVP and increased health by about 1.3k for tanking.

I mean, I'm 11 in Arms, 0 in fury, and 50 in protection, but I don't PVP much at all.

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Jo-Gamer

I'm almost level 30 warrior, and still all on protection.  I've had quite a few PvP encounters now, and I'm doing quite well.  Most I've won, for some reason I am beating fellow warriors alot.  Typically fury spec, and all around my level.  So I'm quite happy with that, though I seem to be having trouble with mages and hunters.  But I guess that's my limit. =P
    But in all I am happy with my performance.
    Mages will cause problems to warriors - they have too many escapes. You can normally inflict some serious hurt on them when you hit them, but it just isn't often enough. Hunters will kill you if they are played well. Although if you can get in a hamstring that helps alot, as will the intercept skill.

Most warriors will struggle in PvP unless they have above average kit for their level, although one on one they should stand a decent chance against rogues, paladins, shamen and priests. Druids and hunters will be a tough fight, whilst you can forget about beating a good frost mage.
  • baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

As a protection warrior, as long as you get the first strike, a spell caster should never get the oportunity to cast.

It's just one long chain of stuns, interupts, slows and silences until your measly damage finally kills them. 

• nimativitlumnimativitlum Member Posts: 48
    protection warriors are hard to kill most specially the one who are dress in full combat..epic equips?i better go and run that to be sorry..i have no guts to attack a full protection warrior, i am a mage..one warrior connects its attack i can't help to try to give him a damaging cast..i'll end up sleeping on the dust..while watching him go away to my corps..but not all the time i have to eat dust....just make a distance and i'll make sure to cover up those protection warrior of mud..but i am planning to create a full protection warrior and if i end up to be a great warrior handler i'll make it my main..