Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AO - Neocron2

VanaaBegraVanaaBegra Member UncommonPosts: 24
I looked at the screenies, and I thought, whoa, man that looks like Anarchy Online.

Comments

• fisch0rfisch0r Member Posts: 30
    looks a bit like AO. But the difference gets much bigger if you compare the atmosphere ingame of both games. even as it is the same genre.

Life is a bad MMORPG.
    But with good Graphics 0_0

• VanaaBegraVanaaBegra Member UncommonPosts: 24

Originally posted by fisch0r
    looks a bit like AO. But the difference gets much bigger if you compare the atmosphere ingame of both games. even as it is the same genre.
    In what way?  Not trying to sound sarcastic as I have not played N 2.  I might try it except the horror stories about the payment system.  I have played AO for years and only recently dropped it in favor of the free acount (I have severe alt-itis and I do not seem to ever get to the "end-game").

TIA

• theomega5000theomega5000 Member Posts: 22
    I played both for around 2 years, 4 years total.

THey are indeed alike.

Both make you want to come back and play.

Both have more potential then they are.

Each game made a mistake in advertising and paid for it.

AND LASTLY AND WHAT SUCKS MOST, both games failed to bring in customers
    by making bad starter areas to level. Whether it's NC killing roaches,
    bugs, rats, or Mutants. Or AO killing rollerrats, spiders, and bots.

BOTH GAMES are worth the money, both games are worth pissing people off.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Outside of the fact they are both sci-fi, the two games have very little, if anything, in common. Stick with AO. You'll thank me for it.

Originally posted by VanaaBegra

In what way?  Not trying to sound sarcastic as I have not played N 2.  I might try it except the horror stories about the payment system.  I have played AO for years and only recently dropped it in favor of the free acount (I have severe alt-itis and I do not seem to ever get to the "end-game").

TIA

1. it isnt free like the basic version of AO, so dont expect that much players.

2. Because of the many empty streets and deserts in NC2 you feel more like a survivor. Of course there are enough players to make a group and beat the shit out of whatever you see when you walk around.

3. The characters in Neocron dont look that much different as in AO. At the beginning you can choose different faces and clothes, but just because theyre skins looks better, it wont change the fact that most of them only run around with theyre Power armors. image

4. Correct me if im wrong but last time i saw AO ingame ive seen commercial streams in it. Another difference. Most of the commercials in NC2 are for ingame products, for example "Preachers choice" whisky (with the exception of alienware advertising in the sex zone pepper park image)

5. I might say the graphics are better than in AO without addons.

Last but not least its the cool PvP which keeps many players in NC. The PvP is like the ones in ego shooters. You can choose first person or third person to burn the ass of te enemy. Actually you have to find it out yourself if you like it.

well atm i cant remember more differences because it was damn long ago since i played AO for some weeks sorry. Maybe someone else who played both could move on.

Maybe some ingame informations can help you.

4 Classes (Tank, Private Eye, Spy, Psi Monk)

The skillsystem is separated into 5 areas (Intelligence, Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Psi)

Every class has its own caps in those areas (a Tank for example has 20 Intelligence [dumb one image], 100 strength, 100 constitution, 70 dexterity, 10 psi)

jobs: Researcher, Constructor, Barter, Driver, Recycler, Poker, Repairer, Hacker, Droner, Pistol user, Rifle user, Heavy Combat user, Agressive PSI or/and Passive PSI user

Vehicles: bikes, trikes, quads, jeeps, a troop carrier, a tank, gliders, a carrier, a bomber

2 big citys (nc city and doy), trading and military bases, outposts for clans to fight for, hacknet and other stuff like caves, racetracks or arenas

Weapons: pistols, rifles, cannons, some vehicles, drones, spells, knives/swords and tools like stealth tool.  3 kind of weapons: normal ones, rare ones and woc.

11 Factions: 6 pro NC, 1 neutral, 5 Pro Doy

that should be enough.

One word to the payment system: a bunch of players had problems with click2pay especially the thing with cancelling and reactivating. Dont know what the people of click2pay doing along the day, but ive never had problems with that payment system

Kick me im a german with average english knowledge image

Life is a bad MMORPG.

Originally posted by theomega5000
    I played both for around 2 years, 4 years total.

THey are indeed alike.

Both make you want to come back and play.

Both have more potential then they are.

Each game made a mistake in advertising and paid for it.

AND LASTLY AND WHAT SUCKS MOST, both games failed to bring in customers by making bad starter areas to level. Whether it's NC killing roaches, bugs, rats, or Mutants. Or AO killing rollerrats, spiders, and bots.

BOTH GAMES are worth the money, both games are worth pissing people off.

roflz0r /signed image

The more you play them the more you want to quit image

There are quite a lot of games which gives you that kind of feeling.

Life is a bad MMORPG.

• theomega5000theomega5000 Member Posts: 22

Are you Terra or Mars?

Terra and mercury image

Life is a bad MMORPG.

• ShaikuraShaikura Member Posts: 61

AO was a great game in the early days. I just can't say that now. The espansions have really ruined the core game. The economy is the worse in any mmo out there now. And the new player will not make it,unless he or she joins a large guild to survive. Hopefully a rich one at that. Most of the low lvl players you see are alts. A friend and i played this back in 2001. We both hate whats happened to Rubi-ka. This game could have been still good,if they just worked on improving what they had instead of doing what they did. The real beauty of the game was all the different weapons and armor players were using at the higher lvls. Now they all look the same and carry the same weapons.

Now all this does is make Neocron 2 look better and more newbie friendly. The gameplay is the best and i  like the cool cyber punk game world too. And with the new payment option, You are seeing more players running around now. The new update sounds really good too. I just reactivated my account because of the updates and payment option. It still needs work but its more fun than AO right now. The new items and content in the update are really going to change the game for the better. It will and should be one to watch in the coming months.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Shaikura

The espansions have really ruined the core game.
    No, they haven't. This is a matter of your opinion, not fact.
    The economy is the worse in any mmo out there now.
    Sorry, I give that honor to FFXI and Lineage 2.
     And the new player will not make it,unless he or she joins a large guild to survive. Hopefully a rich one at that.
    Again, your opinion. Anyone who doesn't bother to sit in their ass and do nothing but beg for credits will find ways to make them. Missions, quest, dungeons, etc.
    Most of the low lvl players you see are alts.
    So then, there must be a lot of really stupid high level players playing "alts", considering the barrage of questions you get in the chat channels.
    A friend and i played this back in 2001. We both hate whats happened to Rubi-ka.

This game could have been still good,if they just worked on improving what they had instead of doing what they did.
    Again, your opinion, which is fine as such but don't state it as fact.
    The real beauty of the game was all the different weapons and armor players were using at the higher lvls. Now they all look the same and carry the same weapons.
    This I will agree with to an extent, but there are those who use the wide variety of skills/options to wear what they want.
    Now all this does is make Neocron 2 look better and more newbie friendly.
    Again, opinion. My opinion is that the core community consist of mainly a bunch of elitist asshats. And the reason it's more "newbie" friendly is that you don't really need alot of thought processes to play it. Again, MY opinion.
    The gameplay is the best and i  like the cool cyber punk game world too. And with the new payment option, You are seeing more players running around now. The new update sounds really good too.
    Since you knocked AO for it's expansions and content, why don't you tell us how much content and/or expansions have been added to Neocron 2 in it's lifetime? Not much.
    I just reactivated my account because of the updates and payment option.
    It took an update and a change of payment services (which was asked for repeatedly since the games inception) to get you to play? Guess the game wasn't THAT great, now was it?
    It still needs work but its more fun than AO right now.
    Opinion again.
     The new items and content in the update are really going to change the game for the better.
    When your adding to something that far down on the pole, it doesn't take much to change mediocre to better than mediocre.
    It will and should be one to watch in the coming months.
    Lots of people are watching it. Fewer people are playing it.
    As a finale, the devs are some of the most arrogant and untalented people in the industry. And while you may attribute this to my opinion, you'll find that opinion is shared by many who used to play the game.
  • ShaikuraShaikura Member Posts: 61
    Those may have been my opinion,but your replies sound like yours. Thats ok with me. We agree to disagree with each other. And thats fine . I will agree on your thoughts about Dev's though.
  • ArdentArdent Member Posts: 4

Just two more days until Neocron 2.2 starts with a 30 day free play for all (not include permanently suspended) game accounts! 

Try it for yourself with it starts more patches will be released during the next weeks, so no one really know how it will be and how the new rebalancing will be. One thing is for sure PvP will be different and active again! 

So, new things to learn for both new and old players...  

• DX_IntruderDX_Intruder Member Posts: 65

Hmm Ive played Neocron 1 for about 3 or so years, and the trial of AO for about a year total (in times off and on), and I can say they are two very different games.

Since NC2 Im no longer a Neocron fan, but I think Neocron's realistic atmosphere made it more appealing and immersive and I really think NC's environment is way different from AO's.  Humans looked realistic yet low-poly in NC and the maps were more or less well put together (in NC1).  I found AO to be more fantasy-based and less realistic, (I suppose the way towns were laid out) with somewhat awkward environments.  Like the way that they zoned the game into different areas, how you can only leave certain zones in certain places and there are invisible walls everywhere else (the zone Borealis is in for example), and i disliked how exploring in AO usually turned up nothing, because any cave or building you find is not enterable unless you have some sort of quest.  In Neocron you could explore everything and enter any building or cave that you wanted, but you might just get yourself killed in doing so -- so if you enjoy exploring you may find Neocron more fun in this certain aspect.  Maybe I'm just not a fantasy guy, but I didnt enjoy how playermodels looked in AO either, there were humans who were very large and tall and you only are as tall as their waist, but you have exactly the same playermodel as them lol.  If you want to take a break from fantasy elements like that, and explore a neat 3D city in first person (i also find this more realistic and therefore more immersive), then you might find NC fun for a while.

Anyways the atmosphere of Neocron is a little more realistic... think of Half-Life 2 environments with Unreal Tournament 1 or Deus Ex quality graphics.  Pretty neat if you like FPS games or sci-fi environments

(looks at previous posts)  Er and this entire post is all my opinion so please dont do that thing where you quote all my sentence