Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

to everyone paying for a game with SOE on it..

Pjay2kPjay2k Member CommonPosts: 260

well I read on these boards about the collectors edition rip off with the 90 days bullshit and all I can say is, its your own fault :)

how many times did Sony Online Entertainement cheat on its customers? well what did you guys expect?

paying for a product with a "Sony" brand on it is a waste of money, no mather if its a game, electronic product or anything else, sony means "shit on you"

something someone told to me and stuck with me ever since was: "you can colorize shit to pink, it looks nice, but underneath the color it's still shit"

remember this next time you consider buying something with "Sony" on it oh and here is a song which pretty much fits this occassion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R98qC0fd_1w

I really hope you guys learn from your mistakes...

SOE and NGE-Star Wars Galalaxies:
Raph Koster: "It's like dumping the girlfriend who has always been patient and loving to chase after the supermodel who probably won't love you back."

Comments

• SceptixSceptix Member Posts: 107
    Some call it good marketting, loyal fans who enjoyed their previous games will be more then happy to jump back in bed with the most wonderfull company in the world.

If prostituting yourself to sony is wrong, i dont wanna be right!

Ravage me Smedly, rawr!
  • Pjay2kPjay2k Member CommonPosts: 260

well I never played vanguard and I never will...

my requirements to a mmorpg are propably too high for todays game companies, but thats just me, so vanguard will never be on my "must checkout" list...

I still got hope in Raph Koasters upcomming projects though, he knows what he is talking about...

Raph Koster: "It's like dumping the girlfriend who has always been patient and loving to chase after the supermodel who probably won't love you back."

To be serious for a second, i dont think vanguards low sales and population in game has much to do with the fact that its not polished.

I bet you half of everyone that saw the SOE logo got scared off, maybe its unfounded, but rep matters in the gaming industry.
    Originally posted by Sceptix

To be serious for a second, i dont think vanguards low sales and population in game has much to do with the fact that its not polished.

I bet you half of everyone that saw the SOE logo got scared off, maybe its unfounded, but rep matters in the gaming industry.

well to be honest yes.

I propably would have at least give it a try, but this is just impossible for me as long as I read "SOE" on that cover of the game...

so you ask me why impossible? please give it a try, why cant you?

well I dont got the ressources to give it a try you know, its just impossible...

swg veterans know exactly what I mean...

so all I can say is **CK YOU SOE, you **it on us? we **it on you, plain simple...

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978
    All right. I never buy collector's editions (ever), so I had no idea what people were talking about. I decided to go to Amazon and see what the whole 90-day fuss was about. Here is what it says (in part) for the special edition features (quote):

Guild Kit, art book, cloth map, soundtrack CD and 3-month Station Player subscription.... (etc)

The relevant part is in bold. There is no explanation of what a "Station Player" subscription is. Now, having had experiences with SOE and other companies in the past that are not entirely forthright (as well as hardware mfgs who are similar), I would educate myself as to just what a "Station Player" subscription is. And upon finding out that it is not a subscription to the game, I would probably think, "ripoff."

However, what they are clearly banking on (both at Amazon, regardless of whatever claims may be made to the contrary, or EB Games, or etc, and at SOE/Sigil), is that people will not read the fine print and will just buy it without realizing. As the old saying goes, "There's a sucker born every minute." (It's not too far from the truth.)

That doesn't mean I think SOE/Sigil are right to be deliberately deceptive (one can take the wording no other way and hold any claim to intellectual honesty). Far from it. I think they should be smacked upside the head for it. This reminds me of those car commercials where they show the car doing something that is computer-enhanced and not actually possible with the actual car shown, but that disclaimer is in tiny unreadable font for 1/2 second at the lower right corner of the screen. Basically, they're as dishonest as they can get away with, and this is one more example.

However, just because car companies advertise BS like this, doesn't mean I'd never buy a car from them. I wish they had to (legally) be more honest and ethical about things, but "caveat emptor" means "Buyer beware" -- and it is especially true in MMORPGs, where so many companies seem to be disreputable (Farlan, SOE, etc). My hope is that people will take a lesson from this, and be more careful about what they spend their money on (game-wise) in the future.

C
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I would like to see your official figures please.

But regardless the fact that you took the figures from an official statement or you pulled them straight out of your ass, I always said that Vanguard would be a niche product, regardless Soe or the polishness of its state.

I always said that this kind of game would be hated by 70% of the player base (2 years ago), regardless the bugs and all other crap.

I don't know why the causal player ever got involved with this game.

They hiped this game so much without knowing what it was about.

And when they discovered it wasn't what they thought it was going to be, they felt betrayed.

Next time when people hype a game they should do a bit more resarch so they don't get disappointed afterward.

jesus, if you read "90 days free" on a collectors edition which you pay a lot of money for, what do you expect of it?

of course you except to have 90 days free playtime...

if you try to rip your customers off like that, sooner or later you get the bill... instead of making them happy, you make them angry and push them away, I just dont understand that, because in the long-term you simply piss them off...

what kind of advantages do you have by treating your customers like that?

sorry but I just dont understand it...

Originally posted by Pjay2k

jesus, if you read "90 days free" on a collectors edition which you pay a lot of money for, what do you expect of it?
    if you try to rip your customers off like that, sooner or later you get the bill... instead of making them happy, you make them angry and push them away, I just dont understand that, because in the long-term you simply piss them off...
    Man it wasn t meant to you, you are right to complain, SoE is crap.

It was meant to all the people the complains that Vanguard didn't lived the hype (which they created).

You will notice that I wrote that regardless SoE and the polish problem, this game wasn't going to be for the masses taste.

Originally posted by ste2000

But regardless the fact that you took the figures from an official statement or you pulled them straight out of your ass, I always said that Vanguard would be a niche product, regardless Soe or the polishness of its state.

I always said that this kind of game would be hated by 70% of the player

And when they discovered it wasn't what they thought it was going to be, they felt betrayed.

Next time when people hype a game they should do a bit more resarch so they don't get disappointed afterward.  The people didint hype the game, the developers did, along with false promises made previously by every other damn company before it.

Some are just too nieve i guess.

The game was supposed to reach 200k to make a profit according to your lover Brad. Good luck with those figures, all the stores here are already selling it for a big price drop. Whether people have bad taste or not, you see the WoW box and you see VG, most are going to pick up WoW based on word of mouth.

And right now, VG is not getting a good rep.

Man it wasn t meant to you, you are right to complain, SoE is crap.

It was meant to all the people the complains that Vanguard didn't lived the hype (which they created)

it wasnt meant for you either, I'm just angry that companies underestimate the power of the customers...

if there is 1 thing they can learn then its the fact that if you treat us like that, we will tear you to shreds...

Well the obvious advantage they get is that you cough up $40 more for the game than you would with the normal edition, and since there is no subscription with it (though you think there is) it's $40 for them free and clear. If they have done their homework right, and estimated that most people will play the game < 3 months ($45, or just slightly more than the extra they get from the CE version), then it is cost effective to sell the CE and rip people off, and have them cancel. Less server load, same money influx for them.

Note, I am not saying they are ethically right -- they are NOT. I am saying that's why they do it. They count beans and this way comes up looking like a better deal for them. (Clearly, it is not a better deal for us.)

C
    Originally posted by ukforze

OMG... 'Fanboi/homo alert'

Claiming Sony are the greatest game company in the world is such a laugh!?

Someone has a good sense of humour?...or tarded?...or maybe daddy is a SOE CEO?

If you HONESTLY BELIEVE that there is at least the slightest respectable crumb of truth in that statement...

Then its a sad world we live in where ppl like you roam free instead of being cared for whilst someone wipes

the dribble from your mouth.

Ggoddamn you fanbois you make me puke
    who? lol :)

SOE is the greatest company on earth.

Think about it, how many games they had that are disasters yet they still make money and people still play the games.

That ladies and gentleman is a succesfull company, like it or not. Not many are allowed to many blunders and still continue to be successfull commercially.
  • MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

I collect collector’s editions of games.

And it did say, right on the box, Station players. Anyone who has played eq2 would know what that was.

But, regardless, this is about reading comprehension, it does not say 3 months of game time or anything of that nature, it says station players.

So, if not reading, and understanding, is a scam...well... more.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

The people didint hype the game, the developers did, along with false promises made previously by every other damn company before it.

The developers started the hype, but the super-gullible, overly-excitable gamer crowd cranked it up 20 or 30 notches above anything the developers tried to do in terms of PR. This site was plastered with player-originated hype, not developer hype, for months and months.

I think a lot of people just lump it all mentally in as "hype", and never separate what the players are saying from what the developers are saying. I'm not saying Vanguard lived up to all the hype the developers created for it, but no game on earth could have lived up to all the hype the players seem to create for most games these days, not just Vanguard.

You're all setting yourselves up for disappointment after disappointment, you know. Look at all the player-generated uber-hype around WAR and AoC right now. It's becoming deafening. "These are the great hopes of the future, etc, etc." I don't care how polished, solid, good, feature-rich, whatever, these games (or any others) are. No game in existence ever has, or ever will, be able to live up to the obscenely over-inflated expectations of this site's audience for WAR and AoC. And so the same people who felt let down by all the other recent games, like Vanguard, are going to feel just as betrayed and let down by AoC, WAR, LOTRO, etc, and flame them just as hard on the forums here. It's ALL a ripoff if you expect the Second Coming from the developers of any game.

People need to get some perspective here.

C

I always said that this kind of game would be hated by 70% of the player

Next time when people hype a game they should do a bit more resarch so they don't get disappointed afterward.  The people didint hype the game, the developers did, along with false promises made previously by every other damn company before it.

The game was supposed to reach 200k to make a profit according to your lover Brad. Good luck with those figures, all the stores here are already selling it for a big price drop. Whether people have bad taste or not, you see the WoW box and you see VG, most are going to pick up WoW based on word of mouth.

And right now, VG is not getting a good rep.

People hype a game, Developers market it, there s a difference.

I am not naive mate, first as I said you don't have official figures, therefore we cannot really discuss on it.

Secondly the developers always said the game was for "Core" gamers, now if people consider core gamers being same as casual then I am not the naive one here, am I?

Plus developers are also business man, and of course they tried to maximise the sale by throwing the odd comment like "you can easily solo in Vanguard" and "you don't have to raid/group if you don't like to", which I have to say it is true, since there are hundreds of solo quest.

But they never lied like saying this game was for casual players, they said they might enjoy it.

It's up to the individual to understand how much truth there is in the hype.

I did, and from the FaQs and the Vision it looked to me as totally the opposite of a casual game, which basically is (except not as hardcore as I thought).

People need to start making their own mind rather than following what the masses say, before everyone was saying how Vanguard was the best game ever (without reading the information available everywhere), now everyone is saying how shit it is (without even playing it properly).

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

Think about it, how many games they had that are disasters yet they still make money and people still play the games.

That ladies and gentleman is a succesfull company, like it or not. Not many are allowed to many blunders and still continue to be successfull commercially.
    LOL You need a nanny or care worker to look after you, You are so nieve its untrue.

Name a successful game?

That hasnt went sour?

or been run into the ground?

or been poorly hosted?

or buggy?

or laggy!?

Ill tell you this SWG should of been the biggest MMO ever & yet somehow despite that they already had

a massive starwars fanboi following behind it cos of the films

Sony STILL managed made a mess of it!!!

IN SO MANY NEW & ORIGINAL WAYS EACH TIME TO!!! ...LOL

You couldnt make a mess of that sort of game if you tried! & THEY DID TRY & SUCCEDED!

Its the only thing ALL SONY companies do well... Screw up & screw customers

I love it when ppl like you still keep them in business, They must laugh at you more thatn us!!! HAHA

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

LOL You need a nanny or care worker to look after you, You are so nieve its untrue.

Name a successful game?

That hasnt went sour?

or been run into the ground?

or been poorly hosted?

or buggy?

or laggy!?

Ill tell you this SWG should of been the biggest MMO ever & yet somehow despite the starwars fanboi following

it already had behind it cos of the films & yet Sony made a mess of it!? LOL

You couldnt make a mess of that sort of game if you tried! & THEY DID TRY & SUCCEDED!

Its the only thing ALL SONY companies do well... Screw up & screw customers

I love it when ppl like you still keep them in business, They must laugh at you more thatn us!!! HAHA

well I think Sceptix was only joking :)

You'd think that being of sound mind & experience of the evils that are the "corporate black plague"

or for the sake of this conversation commonly known as 'SONY'

but his multiple posts claiming there uber1337 & he wants to bumrape smed makes me wonder about him?

Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• bebopdrumsbebopdrums Member UncommonPosts: 168

well to be honest yes.

I propably would have at least give it a try, but this is just impossible for me as long as I read "SOE" on that cover of the game...

well I dont got the ressources to give it a try you know, its just impossible...

so all I can say is **CK YOU SOE, you **it on us? we **it on you, plain simple...

LOL....get over it...seriously....get over it....i did. quickly.
  • ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686

well I read on these boards about the collectors edition rip off with the 90 days bullshit and all I can say is, its your own fault :)
    how many times did Sony Online Entertainement cheat on its customers? well what did you guys expect?
    paying for a product with a "Sony" brand on it is a waste of money, no mather if its a game, electronic product or anything else, sony means "shit on you"
    something someone told to me and stuck with me ever since was: "you can colorize shit to pink, it looks nice, but underneath the color it's still shit"
    remember this next time you consider buying something with "Sony" on it oh and here is a song which pretty much fits this occassion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R98qC0fd_1w
    I really hope you guys learn from your mistakes...

It's been my experience that "Collectors Editions" are ALWAYS a poor value.

This holds true for many aspects of to life. Don't buy collectors editions period.....as a rule of thumb.

You failed to mention what was so bad about it though....oh ya..that's right..you don't care about details. I'm pretty sure there is an exact list of what you are purchasing...doh! details again...my bad

Or maybe you just want to trash VG and the eeeevil  SoE.

Originally posted by bebopdrums

well to be honest yes.

LOL....get over it...seriously....get over it....i did. quickly.

mmm yeh are you like one of those ppl who likes making the same mistake over n over?

Some of us learn from things in life m8 :)

Thus gaining experienece/knowledge!

...Thus moving on in our lives without taking one step forward & two steps back

Played:

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

amazon thread made 37 days ago

M. Johnson says: I found out something that I want to clear up. I discovered that there is rather fine print with this product.

It does not include 3 months of free play. It includes 3 Months of "Station Players" which lets you see you in game stats over the web a feature that should be free given the cost. This is SOEs doing not sigil. You can expect to start paying Monthly after the first free month.

I think this was a cheap shot at slippery wording. I really thought I was getting 3 months of play for getting collectors edition. IU admit I have been had not Job Sony real slick.

If lots of customers think its 90 days then yes it was not clear enough.

CE:s are usually worth it if it has an artbook included (dont care about fancy ingame stuff that I forget about & becomes meaningless the moment I unsubscribe).

I thought that at first?

but his multiple post confirm hes not lol
    To be honest with you, im partially serious, even if my comment was in jest.

SWG had 400 000 subs at once point, im sure that faded fast, but that was a big number for mmo's around the time. The original everquest is still alive, they had half a million subs. And they had other games to compete with at one point like UO, AO, DAOC, yet they still maintained their sub base.

Im just saying, that no matter how many blunders they make. There must be some trick they pull off to keep people coming back to failure of games. Even if its a few hundread thousand, its still a huge success, considering their reputation.

Look at EQ 2, over 250 000 subs. So in all these screw ups, there must be something that makes people go back. I cant explain it, can you? Maybe just maybe, despite the flaws some of these games arent as horrible as they make it out to be? Everquest 2 is a decent game i wont deny that, and i think SOE sucks balls.
    Originally posted by JelloB2000

amazon thread made 37 days ago

M. Johnson says: I found out something that I want to clear up. I discovered that there is rather fine print with this product.
    It does not include 3 months of free play. It includes 3 Months of "Station Players" which lets you see you in game stats over the web a feature that should be free given the cost. This is SOEs doing not sigil. You can expect to start paying Monthly after the first free month.
    I think this was a cheap shot at slippery wording. I really thought I was getting 3 months of play for getting collectors edition. IU admit I have been had not Job Sony real slick.

Sony wrote the book on misleading & sly arse tactics

TBH they hold awards for it !

As where other companies try to acheive awards for products & service,

Sony like to aim at screwing as much money out of ppl.

The funny thing is they can only screw you once before you think "mmm screw SONY"

(unless you a fanboi ...one step forward two steps back)

Played: