Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what do you think about "twinks"?

Comments

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by LordKarl

I think Twinks are a nice way to pass the time between raids! I played a lvl 60 hunter for a year but never had fun like when i play my lvl 19 twink hunter in pvp! It's fun and simple, require a bit of patience to get all the best gears and enchants but then its only fun! The players that think it's unfair are those that are doing pvp along their lvling. All Twink pvpers would accord to say that those people are just complaining of beiing raped and owned by us twink!!
    Tirepois

-Kael'Thas- TWINK hunter

not that i care THAT much, but doesn't it get old to kill people that have no chance to fight back? wouldn't it be more fun if there was some sort of challenge to it? Yeah, feeling like god surely can be fun.... but for how long?

then again there are always been newbie killer and that is about the same...

realize though that you are having fun at the expense of other people. that is NOT very nice.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493

OP, twinks are a way for some players to get some added replay value out of a game.

• mrdoublerrmrdoublerr Member Posts: 269

here's a twinked level 29 warlock pvp video

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/stream.php?id=35937

• BlueOcean23BlueOcean23 Member Posts: 5
    I think this post is mainly referring to PvP. I play WoW on a PvE server and I don't PvP at all. I hate PvP infact. However...I have been playing since release, and my boyfriend and I have 2 accounts with 4 lvl 60+ chars on them between the 2 of us. I busted my ass to get my first char to 60, and stupidly took enchanting as my tradeskill so I made literally no money at all being the guild leader I did all the enchants for my guild mates for free. I would never charge a friend or guildie for any service or armor. If I have it, and someone can use it, it is theirs.

Now, I am leveling a rogue up, and I see nothing at all wrong with using my other high level char on my boyfriends account to spoil my alt a little. Sure, I have plenty of money now on my mains especially with the release of BC but I refuse to buy items off the AH for ridiculous prices to fill someone else's greedy pockets. I do however run my rogue through dungeons if there is a certain piece of armor or a weapon I want. And I did give her money to buy her mount when she hit 40 considering I didn't even get a mount until almost 60 on my main. And yes, I enchant her gear and weapons if they are worth enchanting because why wouldn't I? I got my skill up on my main for a reason....to use it. I don't pay for anything, infact between our 2 accounts there isn't much we would have to pay for. The reason I can do that is because I put in my time and effort on several other chars to be able to "twink" my alt now.

I can see how some people think that twinking is unfair, especially in PvP...but the way I look at it is that I pay for my account, I worked very hard to get my main up there and struggled every step of the way being broke, so I am entitled to a little spoiling.  Do I really want to play from the ground up again, with no money and crappy gear? Hell no.

I don't know why people complain so much about twinks. Unless they are buying money online to support a char, chances are they worked for the money on their main and are entitled to spend it however they see fit.

The only certainty in life is death

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by mrdoublerr

here's a twinked level 29 warlock pvp video
    http://www.warcraftmovies.com/stream.php?id=35937

I  prefer videos that demonstrate skill. That one was pretty boring.
  • AstaresAstares Member Posts: 37

I don't mind twinking it gives a game longevity cause once you cap out a character or more, it becomes old fast. Having a twink is a good diversion.

It becomes an accepted aspect of any mature MMO. People have money and want to use it on something, why not spend silly amounts on making the ulimate twink. WoW has some decent  twinking and I must admit it makes the BGs at least the low ones terrible sometimes for the average player. However as mentioned WoW is pretty basic twinking compared to games like Anarchy Online, spreadsheets are used for twinking in that game, multiple calculated steps to fully optimise the character. AO though was a heap of fun twinking, working it all out and gathering all the pieces was a great diversion.

Just be glad WoW has level reqs it really helps to cut down on the twinking and puts a ceiling on how far the twinking can go.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    Hehe, I see them as rich spoiled brats of Wow.

• FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

Well it also depends on how seriously you take it all.

Don't forget that twinking or not hasn't got súch a big impact on a BG.

1. Level is more important. If you go to a BG as lvl 31 and you fight mainly lvl38-39s you're lost anyway, whether you're twinked or not

2. Teamwork is more important. As most of you know, BGs aren't 1 vs 1 areas, 2 vs 1 will almost always win.

3. Class differences. Generally warlocks and hunters are rather overpowered compared to many other classes.

Only then twinking comes into play. Yes, I admit that in 1 vs 1 situations the twink has a better chance, but I hardly see it as a big problem that largely decides how the battle turns out, especially since both sides have a few, in general, and it's still mainly a team game. And what's a twink? 3 blue items and top notch enchantments? All? Or everything that a first character can't possibly have?

• KerikaKerika Member Posts: 33
    I think that twinks are a good idea, because it helps people that aren't very good have a chance to have fun in this game.
  • nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

2. Teamwork is more important. As most of you know, BGs aren't 1 vs 1 areas, 2 vs 1 will almost always win.
    Sorry but I'm going to say you haven't had much experience versus twinks. I've seen a situation where a twink has had 44 kills 0 deaths and 6 people trying to kill him. Of course teamwork factors into it, but I'll try to explain this: if you have to commit more people to killing one person you weaken yourself elsewhere.

Yeah, you can still win BGs, especially when laughably I've come across so many twinks who just don't care about the flag and just care about getting as many kills as they can. But, have a twink who plays the game and it can be a walkover.

I have no beef with twinks, in fact, in another mmorpg I twinked and it was enjoyable outfitting a character with your own selected equipment. However, when it comes to pvp, I think twinks should face twinks not new players and this matchmaking system is a very welcome change. Though, really, as someone stated earlier in this thread the whole system is kind of flawed from the start.

Most people who play twinks are actually quite crap. I currently play a non-twinked 39 hunter in the 30-39 battlegrounds. I have no enchants, but over half my equipment is blue (dungeon rewards and pvp rewards). I kill twinks all the time, often in 1v1 situations. Unfortunately given my average teamate is less skilled,  has worse equipment and is probably below optimal level (39), the twinks walk all over them. And there's no way I can do enough by myself to stop a horde team with multiple twinks from winning.

Only thing that really scares me 1v1 in battlegrounds is a twinked warlock. Anything else is very killable.
  • damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by meat_bag0

What is a twink? a twink is someone who maxes out a low lvl charcter to its maximum potential to use only in battles and duels so they have an advantage. (or so i have heard) lol

I was just wonderin what you guys/girls thought about these "twinks" just as some entertainment.
    i laugh every time i see the word 'twink' in wow; because of what the word means, not the wow adaptation of it.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• meat_bag0meat_bag0 Member Posts: 94
    yeah it is kinda funny now that i think about it. they could have definatly gone with a different name or something...it make WoW seem very..."happy" maybe call them something else...its probably not a good idea to look up "twinks" in any search engine images...trust me... it wont bring up WoW....

*??)XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX(??*
    ?.•??.•*??)?.•*?*•.?(??*•.??•.?
    (?.•? (?.• MEAT_BAG0 •.?) ?•.?)
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

• SinitassuSinitassu Member Posts: 67
    C'mon if a game is based on making the über character without any thought on appearance or anything else for that matter. Twinks just do what the game is made for. Can you blame them for anything?

Personally I don't like the fact that WoW (BC) has those über items that make standard chars (even with good players) almost useless in battle. but thats the way they made it and thats the way  you have to play it.

- Tassu

"Lick My Weapons"

• project8sixproject8six Member Posts: 271
    wow is a pretty lame game for twinking since there are minimum levels for everything you put on.

skill based games (thinking anarchy online) its more involved and fun.

twinks can be(if you twink and suck you still suck) annoying in BGs yeah but ppl play them less since there is something to do... get all your alts to 70 now woo hoo.

there is nothing you can do about it or that is going to be done. best thing you can probably do to a twink is ignore them.

die. <3

• MoreanderMoreander Member Posts: 14

I personally despise twinking, it's not that it doesn't require skill... There are some really skilled twinkers out there that do amazing things with their characters, and that entitles them to a certain amount of respect.

Having said that, I think it takes all the fun out of PVP, and for me it's the main reason I don't get involved in PVP much.

Obviously I'm not a twinker, but I know it's a lot of work (I have tried it in A.O., and yes WoW twinking is extremely simplified compared to A.O.'s). Why did i try it? Because I was told it was a lot of fun, but I just don't think it's worth the trouble. I don't like not being challenged (and being challenged means that I like a fight where things can go both ways, like a fight where I die just as I strike the finishing blow, that's a perfect challenge to me)

anyways that's my 2 cents worth

Have fun twinking (or not)

• blaamblaam Member Posts: 111
    Originally posted by Tinybina

Actually Twinks in WOW are not that bad (and yes I have a few).. Go play a game like Anarchy Online and come back to me and talk about 'Twinks'.
    When a level 20 character can SOLO a instance like say the Van Cleef Dungeon (havent played in a while if that is how you say it) then you have a problem.. Making a level 20 in AO that could solo a instance Dungeon was not really that hard, in WOW it is impossible.
    Well i havent played AO for a few years now, but twinking back then was a real headeack, first find the right gears. Then find the right combo so you could equip the highest implants posisble etc etc

i remmeber twinking a engineer lvl 20 so he could use lvl 100/150 nanospells (beacon warp!) took me about  48 hours of /played to do so... was eazyer to twink a pvp ( yea low lvl pvp in AO was actually the funnyest and less laggy back then) since the templates were pretty much known but still was really intersting.

it was everything but eazy since it included to have lot  "buff huntig", calculations and  perfect lvl gears... and some medicine against headacks !

I personnally did a lot of twink back in the days in AO and it was probably the funnyest part of the game.. being able to solo missions that were 50/100 lvl higher than you was fun :p. Even in pvp since most of the people pvping at that lvls were twinks.. fight lasted forever and we all had tons of fun.
  • nimativitlumnimativitlum Member Posts: 48
    first to limit some spendings , i have to calculate first the weapons and gears to be used by my toon..in that case i'll know the best gears that'll help my to0n.
  • damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by Astares

I don't mind twinking it gives a game longevity cause once you cap out a character or more, it becomes old fast. Having a twink is a good diversion.
    It becomes an accepted aspect of any mature MMO. People have money and want to use it on something, why not spend silly amounts on making the ulimate twink. WoW has some decent  twinking and I must admit it makes the BGs at least the low ones terrible sometimes for the average player. However as mentioned WoW is pretty basic twinking compared to games like Anarchy Online, spreadsheets are used for twinking in that game, multiple calculated steps to fully optimise the character. AO though was a heap of fun twinking, working it all out and gathering all the pieces was a great diversion.
    Just be glad WoW has level reqs it really helps to cut down on the twinking and puts a ceiling on how far the twinking can go.

why aren't you talking about this game being fun.  twinking is a diversion, but it's not fun?  why play a GAME, if your'e not having fun?  this is the thinking i'm just not understanding. 

if twinking let's someone have fun, feel powerful, whatever, more power to them.  seems to me that they're bored with a GAME, and instead of finding something that's FUN to PLAY, they just keep trying to figure out a way to justify that $15/month they're wasting.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844
    man... people make such a big deal about twinks yet i really dont care if there there or not..
  • alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    I don't give 20 gallons of spit for them.  They are nothing but a bunch of prima donnas.  They have very little to with guild teamwork unless tha guild is a PvP one. They're just basically worthless! 

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Once you level a character to max level, it is natural to want to level your next character as a twink.  It is human nature to equip your "child" as best you can.  Personally, I have enjoyed twinking in all the games that I've played that allowed it.
    Originally posted by damian7

if twinking let's someone have fun, feel powerful, whatever, more power to them. 

The problem is that in the process they remove fun from other people. Whilst alot of people enjoy competing against similar strength characters in a close fight decided by skill and tactics, very few people enjoy being repeatedly snuck up on by a twinked rogue and killed in 2-3 hits.

Less twinking = more total fun.
  • crusher143crusher143 Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Its Blizzard fault, you cant sue / blame ? or how do you say the twinkers. But I dont like em, its blizzard time to fix it.

I like to play in low brackets without premades, wihtout just farming the others, getting farmed or getting 1-2 shoted, low bg is so much more fun cause of that but twinks ruin it. Simple as that. They just create the same problem we had at 60.

Mostly Iam lvling up a toon and stay for like a week at 18,28,38 etc cause in general its fun and I want the BG rewards so I never would spend 500g+ If I know I will lvl up anyways in a week.

Where the fuck is the problem, just put in a check so ppls with hi lvl enchants play with themselves and "normal" ppls dont need to bother with em anymore.

But Iam 100% sure, the twinkers would cry then the loudest cause they would have to play only vs. other twinkers, no easy kills anymore. I would bet most twinkers would quit then.
  • crusher143crusher143 Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Originally posted by Jaskip

I do not see twinks as a problem in WoW at all. It is not very hard to level up and there is no point in doing battlegrounds at a lower level anyway. They do not affect many people and certainly not for long periods of time, it is just not a big deal at all.
    You are so wrong. Maybe there is no reason for you to do PvP in low lvl. I just play the game for the PvP part and I mostly enjoy it in the low brackets.

- No mounts

- No 1-2 Shot anyone

- No Farming others for honor

- Not getting farmed by premades

- Getting good items is faster than at 60 / max. lvl ( I dont care if ppls get the best equip at their lvl, but hi lvl enchants are just a diff. story)

- Ppls want to win and not like in the endgame, like ah let em win they will win anyways so we getting our marks faster blah blah ...

its just so so much more fun than for example the old 60 BGs but twinks ruin it.

I had a 3 month break, just started to play again cause my brother told me he isnt playing anymore EQ2 cause he was bored so he started with WoW, so what I reactivated my accouint and started a new toon with him. But now its really no fun anymore in low lvl brackets, its not like there is just 1-2 twinks in game, no there are now like 5-8 always. And weird Iam playing on Horde side and there are rarely twinks. Maybe alliance got sick of losing always cause of to less skill ? I dunno I just know in my battlegroup there are rarely horde twinks.

If matchmaking becomes true, it would be really nice but I doubt i will continue playing after this month there are just to many other problems with wow, endgame sux, professions sux etc ... well thats another story ... those fixes are just comin to late if they come which I somehow doubt ...