Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Practicality

SWGforrevaSWGforreva Member Posts: 194

The basis behind my argument is practicality; can the game be played to its full potential in the goal of having fun? Can you actually make authentic roman armor and use it? Do legions at least look like real roman legions? If so why not? Does it take immense amounts of time to gather resources exp. Ore? If so how long, is it practical so smiths can make armor at a reasonable rate? Did the devs want a succesful game or not lol jk jk 
Well its sad, very sad, I’ve always wanted to be a roman, live like a roman, look like a…eh nm.. Well at least I’m immersed right? I mean my fellow legionaries cannot be distinguished when compared to barbarians, or centurions had more to wear then a tunic when running into battle right? Eh it’s a joke, there has to be a line between realism and gaming, I mean I’m all for realism but come-on for the sake of emulating history its just not PRACTICAL! This game has been out for a long time yet nothing has really changed…very disappointing

Comments

• ImpacatusImpacatus Member Posts: 436

There are a couple types of Roman armour and shields.  The armor's not exactly cheap or easy to make though.  That's why in the real world the legions were made up of the upper classes during the Republic I guess.

As far as the crafting, I think it's fine.  The jobs are certainly big, but I don't think you're meant to do them alone.  That's why everyone keeps saying to join a guild.   As far as mining, that's very fast, but the mines are quite far away from the towns. 

I think the game does a good job of recreating the world of the time, if not the social structures.  Soldiers don't get a loan to pay for their armour, people don't have slaves or apprentices to do the dirty work, and the powers of the government are limited.  However, as the game goes on I think the players will work something out.  You said that there's been no change, but I disagree.   At first everyone fought naked with spears.  Now that the economy has grown somewhat, we're seeing much more helmets, bucklers, and other varieties of weapon.  I imagine that eventually body armour will become more affordable.

If you want to save money, make sure you buy from other players.  The NPC merchants are way overpriced.  Still, I'll admit the crafting times and prices can be daunting.   As the economy gets more built up, and new features are added to help crafters, I expect it to be less and less of a problem.  This is all just my opinion.

If you're building an mmorpg, or if you'd like to share ideas or talk about this industry, visit Multiplayer Worlds.

• shane910shane910 Member Posts: 359

This is exactly what I complain about. It just seems like it's too much to ask for them to lower prices and times to reasonable levels.  That would turn it arround and atleast make it bearable for the time being. As it is you deal with the few bugs that are left the disconnects and the long times plus high prices just too much to ask for a game...

Its hard to imagine the community building up at all with the prices and times like they are, so I dont see how the prices will natural go down. Its gonna have to be a intervention on RB's part by caping them at levels they feel is acceptable,(for average players)and for all items.

They need to look at the max ammount of verm you can buy, and set the prices in game so that you can buy everything you need to survive for a whole month of playing on that verm, and still probably have some left over if your conservative.   So a player verming is like the upper class right off, players that arent will be the lower class. If you stop verming you will use up your reserve cash, once gone you would be reduced to lower class untill you verm again.   Their will always be players that dont want to verm, cuz they dont like the game enough, or players that cant afford or dont have a way to.  They should be the lowerclass but still be a usefull member in combat and crafting they should be the front line or the harvesters.  The game can be balanced just needs some changes.

Combat gear is gonna be the main concern for price lowering IMO, since once you have fair prices you could do full loot.  And if the grind for skills were lower, players could actualy participate sooner and not feel as though they were not getting anywhere.  Anyways this game dosent need a grind(wasnt supposed to be one anyway), because their is no end game like most MMO's.   The difference in the players would come from actual skill and the stats that you picked in the begining(like it is), no need for a level difference too.  That way at any time you felt your char is under powered or you wanna try something different you could reroll you char and start your new carreer right then, and not get overwhelmed because you have to grind him again. In a situation like that now, if I want to reroll my char I would just quit cause I would be throwing away weeks of grinding that wasnt fun the first time.....

And again its just not needed in a game that has no monthly fee or end game.  It just needs to be fun, so people want to verm.

And I want people verming so RB can get funding and I can have the experiance I thought I would be having when I first read about the game.  It is amazing RB, and I give props where they are due, but I also speak up when I feel strong about something. I  just hope you listen and atleast give it some thought.

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Impacatus

There are a couple types of Roman armour and shields.  The armor's not exactly cheap or easy to make though.  That's why in the real world the legions were made up of the upper classes during the Republic I guess.

Are you telling poeple the roman army was built solelly out of the nobility? Have you not confused a roman footsoldier legion with the medieval knights?

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• shane910shane910 Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Harafnir

Are you telling poeple the roman army was built solelly out of the nobility? Have you not confused a roman footsoldier legion with the medieval knights?

I dont think thats what he's talking about.  I think he means for the slaves. They wouldnt have given their slaves all they needed to successfully turn on them durring the battles.  And you can bet that they had their slaves in the front lines, with their heavily armed troops right behind em to keep them in line. Also probably kept them their by telling them that they could earn their freedom by fighting for them, thats a good incentive.  

They wouldnt earn it tho untill they paid taxes(vermed), then they would be a respected citizen. 

Thats where they need to go from here.  Start making it fun and less of a chore. Make it flow instead of drag on with grinds.Make it so if you verm monthly you have no worries and if you dont you must work for others, instead of ses not lasting at all if you want to buy stuff and do verm.

I thought the verm was supposed to be for players to play the game with no monthly fee, and if they start liking it they can verm.  If they just kinda like it and dont verm they would still be usefull and can play the game since it is free and actualy still be usefull in the game and add to it being so great,  just by being part of the community.  (since thats what make this game so great)

Right now it is just a money pit that gets you nowhere unless you invest hundreds of dollars and thats not good.  Not when average MMO's cost 15 dollars a month.   If you dont have hundreds to blow(and thats probably everyone that left long ago) you just dont verm, and mooch off who ya can...    RB cant expect to make a profit like that.  And they cant expect people to play a game that they dont have a chance in hell of ever being effective or on par with others, for very long.

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099
    Roman soldiers were (excluding auxiliary and mercenaries) both Roman citizens and property (land) owners.

And the game is set up to encourage you to spend real money on in-game items. That is how they pay the bills. If you want something in-game, cough up the "real" cash.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• SWGforrevaSWGforreva Member Posts: 194
    Originally posted by Keogh

Roman soldiers were (excluding auxiliary and mercenaries) both Roman citizens and property (land) owners.

And the game is set up to encourage you to spend real money on in-game items. That is how they pay the bills. If you want something in-game, cough up the "real" cash.

I'm sorry this is just plain wrong, the whole point of a game or more so mmorpgs is to escape reality, how can people play a game where their rl economic status represents their in game one..this really makes no sense at all

• siredmondsiredmond Member Posts: 122
    Not quite. If you know what you are doing you don't have to cough up the cash as it stands right now.

Verm is to supplement what you manage to make in game.

What Shane is proposing is, that you cough up the money to have the class and social attribute.

Verm becomes a tax.

Impacatus we are in the empire right now. But there is still a social class requirement you join the legion I.E. be a citizen and own land, but eventually the land requirement gets abolished. And you would join the Auxiliary if you didn't meet the requirement.

During the Republic it actually was reflected on where you stood in the battle line.
    Originally posted by siredmond

Not quite. If you know what you are doing you don't have to cough up the cash as it stands right now.

Verm is to supplement what you manage to make in game.

What Shane is proposing is, that you cough up the money to have the class and social attribute.

Verm becomes a tax.

Impacatus we are in the empire right now. But there is still a social class requirement you join the legion I.E. be a citizen and own land, but eventually the land requirement gets abolished. And you would join the Auxiliary if you didn't meet the requirement.

During the Republic it actually was reflected on where you stood in the battle line.Can you plz use practical refrences so i can keep you..because when i saw movies like Gladiator, and old time Spartacus i saw legions well equipped but of course there was differences in rank when you saw officers, centurions, or generals equipment changed big time..but when you look at your regular foot soldier the common armor was segmenta, a tower shield, pilum, and gladius right?
    Lets see...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_legion

Maybe the wiki can do a better job then I can, not really sure how to begin.

So basically everyones these guys right now:

Velites (light infantry): The velites were mainly poorer citizens who couldn't afford to equip themselves properly. Their primary function was to act as skirmishers - javelin-throwers who would engage the enemy early in order either to harass them or to cover the movement of troops behind them. After throwing their javelins they would retreat through the gaps between the maniples, screened from the attack of the enemy by the heavy infantry lines. With the shortage of cavalry in the army of the early to mid Republican army, the velites were also used as scouts. They did not have a precise formal organization or formation.

Since we don't have the system to pay for a professional legion, yes. However we don't have range weapons anyways.

Ideally we would have imperial legions, if you read further down you see that.

should note that a roman legionary during the early imperial time was paid 1000ses a year.
  • HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Still nothing about "upper class" or nobility or anything else other than "citizens" of the roman empire, for a fullfledged legion. and conscripts, normally from the vassal states as a lower mob and fleshwall. I am not trying to argue here, just that its was a real strange thing to say about a roman army. One thing that has in all times been kind of a trademark of the "upper class" and the nobility, is that they let ordinary men do the heavy work, like walking, carrying and dieing, and themselves, gladly use a horse, carriage or other ways of transportation to the battlefield. Cavalry i gladly agree on. Chariots as well. But spearmen? The early armies were built pretty much on free will, you want to serve Rome, then take what weapon you can afford, and join in with the fun boys. If you owned a hut somewhere in a roman suburb and all you had to eat was a daily sprout, you could still take a piece of leather and some rocks and join in. Later it became more organized, but war was not a weekend pasttime only limited to the rich and mighty.

Anyway, I will leave you to it. Just remember.. War has always been the one thing in history where ordinary village folk has been able to make a difference with their lives, to change the course of history with their blood. To bellitle their sacrifices and efforts and give the credit even for this to the rich on their thrones and on their banquets, is a terrible wrong against all people of all times. The upper class controlled the army and the history books... But it was the people that fought.

I will leave you to it...

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

I believe he was talking about the republic legion, which has clear social class structure in it. Where as the Imperial Legion was a professional one.