Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I lost all interest in the game

Here’s why I lost all interest in World of Warcraft:

What I like about a mmorpg is building a character.  Spending time and effort to make him stronger and stronger.  I spent months raiding every weekend  and some week nights to get epic items.  I spent a lot of time, effort and gold to get a legendary weapon.  And after all this time and effort, BC comes out and Blizzard push a little "reset" button so that I feel that everything I did was for nothing.

Don’t get me wrong, doing a new expansion in which more powerful items exist is a good thing.  The problem is that the new items are so powerful that they make all old content obsolete, which is a bad thing.  Before reaching level 70, you will have replaced most of your epic items by greens and blues.  While I don’t mind replacing an epic item by a better epic item, I really feel cheated when I replace it by a green or a blue.  I spent so much time, money, and effort to get a legendary weapon and by level 70, you can get a better green sword for 10g from a vendor.  How could a green vendor sword be better than a legendary weapon?  How do you think I feel about my legendary weapon being good for trash?

That being said, I don’t see how I could continue to invest time playing and raiding if, in a year or 2, another expansion will come out and Blizzard will push the little “reset” button again.  I would feel like I spent all this time for nothing...and I would have.           

Comments

• laffncrylaffncry Member Posts: 92
    well that's kinda sad to hear. you're right about that, i've been wondering about that too. why is it that when the expansion came out the leg items seems weak. i don't really get that!
  • ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318
    How you couldn't predict this from happening is beyond me, I myself, stopped raiding months before BC because I knew that I would be replacing them with blue's and greens, however, most people kept on going because they felt it would be easier to level up with top end gear. Even today, people with lvl 70 characters are still using their legendary weapons, especially tanks with their thunderfury.
  • AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by neocortex
    I would feel like I spent all this time for nothing...and I would have.

If you enjoyed the time you spent getting that gear, then it wasn't wasted time.

If you were only doing it for the items in the first place, then you're being superficial and should take another look at WHY you play these games in the first place.

Personally, I think the whole thing is hilarious. Players made such a big deal out of being able to raid dungeons, and the shallow players followed around the big guilds (who treated everyone else like dirt, usually) in the hopes of receiving whatever scraps were leftover. Now my own guild has a chance at getting the tier sets and I laugh at all the players who thought they were so much better than me for suffering through the abuse of the "good guilds."

Having said that, I want to experience the new content for what it really is (new storylines, new dungeons to explore) and not for what players want it to be (new epicky goodness).

• mwbreurmwbreur Member Posts: 84

I agree in a different way,

To me TBC was like a 'lock' on the 'old world' , it's like 'gone'..

I was just starting to do ZG/MC/AQ20 (1 item from ZG, 1 from AQ) and had the feeling i was making 'progression'. The guild i was in was fairly new some newbies and some more experienced players and i was having fun. Then TBC came and everyone was like 'who needs instances when TBC comes, all items will be better anyway' and that put a stop to the raiding and everyone went to battlegrounds (on a freaking PVE server ffs) to me TBC left a gap, i've never been to the last boss in AQ20, never seen AQ40/naxx, in MC i 'saw' major domo, and in ZG we came as far as the tiger boss. Then when i came into TBC and done my 1st few quests i was like 'DAMN so much XP and such good items already, after doing the 1st 2 instances ?hellfire-citadel? i got some amazing items also'

Then there was the 'world' which was quite shocking (and i don't give a #$%@ what the lore says) but giant glowing mushrooms? alien like creatures? a big ass robot walking around? come on.....

But the game wasn't in balance with the 'old world' the quest XP was way to high, the mobs gave 1000 to 1200xp rested, then there was that news from some french guy getting lvl 70 in less then 28 hours in a lame way, and me being lvl 62.

This all added up to me not liking WoW anymore (also because most nerfs come from PVP whiners who screw up the PVE) i stopped playing at lvl 64 for most of those reasons. To me WoW has lost it's 'magic' back to playing WC3 again.

• AhilesAhiles Member Posts: 414
    well cya have fun bye bye, have fun on another dead mmo, mu sugestion try vanguard, i hear its suppsed to be the next gen of all mmos,lmao.  Wow wont miis your whining.  Like i said you leave, and probably another 100 people to take your place.
  • mwbreurmwbreur Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Ahiles

well cya have fun bye bye, have fun on another dead mmo, mu sugestion try vanguard, i hear its suppsed to be the next gen of all mmos.  Wow wont miis your whining.  Like i said you leave, and probably another 100 people to take your place.

I tried V:SoH and no thanks, i'm starting on LOTR:O now.

And why is giving an opinion 'whining' ?

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Hello little hamster.  I see you've opened your eyes a bit.  Yes...yes, you're in a wheel.

What's that you say little hamster?  You ran and you ran and you thought you had gotten somewhere?

No, I'm sorry little hamster, it's just a wheel.  It goes 'round and 'round.  Our goal is not to let you go anywhere, our goal is to keep you running.

You say you want off the wheel little hamster?  That's fine.  You go take a rest for a while.  We'll get another shiny new wheel prepared for you when you're ready to start running again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the sarcasm, but seriously was WoW your first mmorpg?  Every game that depends on progression to keep people hooked will be like this.  I predicted this sort of thing happening in WoW before it was even released.

• iddmitriiddmitri Member UncommonPosts: 671

Originally posted by Neanderthal
    Hello little hamster. I see you've opened your eyes a bit. Yes...yes, you're in a wheel.
    What's that you say little hamster? You ran and you ran and you thought you had gotten somewhere?
    No, I'm sorry little hamster, it's just a wheel. It goes 'round and 'round. Our goal is not to let you go anywhere, our goal is to keep you running.
    You say you want off the wheel little hamster? That's fine. You go take a rest for a while. We'll get another shiny new wheel prepared for you when you're ready to start running again.
    Sorry for the sarcasm, but seriously was WoW your first mmorpg? Every game that depends on progression to keep people hooked will be like this. I predicted this sort of thing happening in WoW before it was even released.

100% true. /bow

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

Hello little hamster.  I see you've opened your eyes a bit.  Yes...yes, you're in a wheel.
    What's that you say little hamster?  You ran and you ran and you thought you had gotten somewhere?
    No, I'm sorry little hamster, it's just a wheel.  It goes 'round and 'round.  Our goal is not to let you go anywhere, our goal is to keep you running.
    You say you want off the wheel little hamster?  That's fine.  You go take a rest for a while.  We'll get another shiny new wheel prepared for you when you're ready to start running again.
    Sorry for the sarcasm, but seriously was WoW your first mmorpg?  Every game that depends on progression to keep people hooked will be like this.  I predicted this sort of thing happening in WoW before it was even released.

Great post!

Bonus points for using a hamster analogy.  :)

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

i have to agree with this..i mean we can't control everything that happens in the game. whether blizzard decides to do this and that, the only thing we would have to do is to follow. even after you quit this game and switch to a new one, one way or another this would happen to you again. that's how MMO's goes!
  • kaskuskaskus Member Posts: 105
    i have tried some MMORPG but  nothing compares to w0w, i've hooked up since the fist day that i started playing it..beside of the game, i am deeply attached because of the friends that i have in the game that continues to encourage me to play this game..anyhow playing the game depends on the person in it..but i'll just continue playing the game ehatevr happens
  • thirdechelonthirdechelon Member Posts: 110
    Im an Officer and Main-Tank for my guild and i've come to hate playing wow. My guild used to clear MC every week, down Ony and clear ZG and AQ20 frequently, after awhile i stopped doing all those 5-man petty crap instances occassionally, did ubrs to attune ppl did PVP in my spare time, level some alts. In comes the burning crusade and get to 70 all my epics gone with blues and greens, running 5-mans 2-4 times a day getting people attuned to karazhan and gearing up.

i hate running 5-mans, they take too long,  they are hard, everyone needs to grind the rep to do heroic mode...heroic mode is harder making the farming even more fustrating cause you can only run it once a day!!. Theres just so much grinding to do, in the old days you could gear up alittle bit and then start on MC, they never forced us to do scholomance 20 times + stratholme 20 times + lower blackrock spire 20 times + upper blackrock spire 20 times and get revered with 5 factions just so we could start end-game.

blacksmithing is crap, they provide barely any recipes a few BoP epics that take days to farm for. every decent recipe is a 1 in a million drop that you'll probably end up buying in AH for 500+g. the mats, they force you to grind instances and go mining for hours to get the materials for these epics.

the only reason a used to play wow is for the Raids, i loved getting our raid setup 40 strong, tackling huge instances downing huge bosses getting epics for everyone Ragnaros, Onyxia those bosses used to be the highlight of the week, i loved tanking them, i loved the teamwork, the rewards, even the ZG and AQ bosses were fun too they werent extremly difficult and they had some nice gear. Blackwing lair was great too we only got the first two bosses down..i remember my first Razorgore kite..... and tanking Vael was heaps of fun :)

but wat has become of WoW to me, everytime i log-on - time to grind 2-4 more 5-man instances today(which i hate)....probably wont get any loot either(hate this too)...do this 5 times a week then get creamed in Karazhan down a couple of bosses, trash mobs hitting me for 4.5k(hate this so much).....a 10man raid with a weekly cooldown(wtf its a 10man)...where the epics are only a tiny bit better then the blues we have(its true and absolute bullcrap)......

oh and they're gonna nerf alot of our lvl 70 blue items!!!!! why? to make karazhan loot more appealing....................

/rant off
  • helleluyahhelleluyah Member Posts: 28
    I do agree... but for me no reason to stop playing,
  • protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042
    Its not even like that, Itemization is so poor in BC that T3 is often still superior then what purples you find at 70.
  • damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Its called expanding the game moron.  Im sure when u quit there will be another 1000 people to take your place.  Have a good time waiting for darkfall to come out,lol:)

what the...

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

I've never been intrested in raiding.

I went to my first raids a few days before BC launched.

I had all the kit from all the instances and some home made stuff beside.

But it was immensley boring. Nothing for me to do. I needed all purples or to just hang out at the back for a year or two and hope for some drops noone else needed. All of this takes about 8 hours of my day to complete.

Whoop de do. Character development has slowed to an incredibly slow pace. Upgrades found weekly if not monthly.

I was pleased to see that right fromt he beginning of BC the gear was flowing and it was good gear. I didn't have to wait 5 levels to find something better than my purple axe. We were rolling again.

What's more, I wasn't the charity gimp at the back anymore I was a useful member of the team. With a role and a purpose.

Now I'm back to the old time sink game. Grind up my blacksmithing, raid or grind matrials and rep. All the quests done. All the instances too.

95% of what's left to play is best achieved by a level bot. My input isn't even required.

So er.... goodbye. It was great again. See you all for the next expansion.

• crusher143crusher143 Member UncommonPosts: 198

Its called expanding the game moron.  Im sure when u quit there will be another 1000 people to take your place.  Have a good time waiting for darkfall to come out,lol:)
    You are the moron. You can expand a game in different ways, but blizzard has really no ideas so they are just working on raids and nothing else. Boring imo.

Look when you had the T2 set and T3 came, it wasnt so bad cause T2 still was good. But now all old items are useless there is a big difference.

You also could invent new items but maybe not necessary more powerwul, just different maybe better for other specs, other set bonus, diferrent looks etc ...

Burnung crusade is such a flop in my eyes ... what they gave us new ? nothing, arenas ? yea ok but what else ? just more raids and grind for reputation ? lawl. Why not like 5 new bgs, REAL outdoor pvp, more professions, revamp the old professions to make em alot better they are still just an expensive hobby nothing more. Instanced housing like in EQ2 ? Revamp skill animations and graphics for em ? Cause they r poor. Sure there is nothing really wrong with em but if you played maybe like once Everquest2 you know what I mean.

Iam sure you could think of more things, but thats really not my job its blizzards job but they r so fuckin clueless they r just working again on a new raid, lol ? Iam sure guilds doesnt even got thru all the raids yet but already working on a new raid ? Wow lol thats a joke really ... give us already somehing new to do.
  • casharcashar Member Posts: 20

What I like about a mmorpg is building a character.  Spending time and effort to make him stronger and stronger.  I spent months raiding every weekend  and some week nights to get epic items.  I spent a lot of time, effort and gold to get a legendary weapon.  And after all this time and effort, BC comes out and Blizzard push a little "reset" button so that I feel that everything I did was for nothing.
    Don’t get me wrong, doing a new expansion in which more powerful items exist is a good thing.  The problem is that the new items are so powerful that they make all old content obsolete, which is a bad thing.  Before reaching level 70, you will have replaced most of your epic items by greens and blues.  While I don’t mind replacing an epic item by a better epic item, I really feel cheated when I replace it by a green or a blue.  I spent so much time, money, and effort to get a legendary weapon and by level 70, you can get a better green sword for 10g from a vendor.  How could a green vendor sword be better than a legendary weapon?  How do you think I feel about my legendary weapon being good for trash?
    That being said, I don’t see how I could continue to invest time playing and raiding if, in a year or 2, another expansion will come out and Blizzard will push the little “reset” button again.  I would feel like I spent all this time for nothing...and I would have.           
    agreed and they fcked my mage(not top dps anymore and forced to arcane power build) too then i canceled sub...
  • AntMMOAntMMO Member Posts: 33
    this all sounds more like "BC made me lose me epeen from epics" posts to me

ohnoes your epics are gone, i thought i was about "character progression", not "character progression ONLY if the item is purple"?

none

• swede2swede2 Member Posts: 975

Thats so true a good expansion compliments the exsisting game not replaces it
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I wonder, what the hell did you think would happen when TBC came out? Of course your old equips would become yesterday's news! How long did you expect them to be the ultimate equipment? Till lvl 70? 80? Let's say that Blizzard releases 3 more expansions, raising the lvl cap by 10 each time. Did you think your old lvl 60 stuff should be the best equips when you hit lvl 100? Just because you spent sooooooo much time getting them? And it really doesn't matter how early or late into TBC your equips became outdated, if it was by greens or anything else. You HAD TO KNOW it would happen, if not... well, then you're not very bright!

I don't see why you're whining about this. All the time spent earlier, when you got those epics, were features in the game, added so that ppl should have something to do, and have fun, after reaching max lvl. TBC is no different. Same will be with EVERY new expansion they might release later. And if you only did raids etc earlier to get the epics, instead of doing it for fun, then I really don't see why you play this game.

When you reach max lvl in WoW, the game changes to be almost completely instance/raid oriented. So was it before TBC, and that's probably how it always will be. Next expansions will have new raid instances and new epics. Therefor, your efforts in getting epics in TBC will be "wasted" at some point in the future.

If this is unacceptable to you, then WoW really isn't the game you should be playing! Move on and find another game instead. We who still plays WoW, and ENJOYS playing it, does not want to see whiners like you in-game, ruining our time of fun!

I'm tired of all this WoW-whining on this site. It's time for you to realize how things work: Blizzard / Wow has 8 mill ACTIVE subscibers. You may whine as much as you like here, but as long as Blizzard keeps getting more and more customers, their couldn't care less about ppl like you. Your opinions doesn't matter, as long as the majority gets what they want! That's the facts, either if you like it or not!

Originally posted by Netspook

I wonder, what the hell did you think would happen when TBC came out? Of course your old equips would become yesterday's news! How long did you expect them to be the ultimate equipment? Till lvl 70? 80? Let's say that Blizzard releases 3 more expansions, raising the lvl cap by 10 each time. Did you think your old lvl 60 stuff should be the best equips when you hit lvl 100? Just because you spent sooooooo much time getting them? And it really doesn't matter how early or late into TBC your equips became outdated, if it was by greens or anything else. You HAD TO KNOW it would happen, if not... well, then you're not very bright!
    That's right!! look at this way, the expansion comes out without new equips..you had you way and your equips are still the best one..after a few weeks then what would happen?? you would wish that there would be new items to look for and there would be soooo much more things to do..what would you choose? this scenario?? or the one we have right now??
  • hypersanhypersan Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by swede2

Thats so true a good expansion compliments the exsisting game not replaces it

Okay how many more expansions do you think WOW has planned. I heard rumours that they would attempt to push for six monthly releases. I highly doubt that will be the case. I think one yearly is the best blizzard can do due to the amount of polish they require. However the core values of blizzards game will never change from what it is now. The aquisition of a few new items that are more powerful than the ones before in order to attempt to do new content that has been rebalanced for the new more powerful items. This results in no increase in player power relative to the environment (content). So in effect despite the number of expansions you will actually not get more powerful. Your power will remain the same. What about level you ask. The leveling curve is so easy that eveyrone almost instajumps to the max level so once again the playing field has been leveled.  What about PVP, well evidently MEANINGFUL pvp can only be carried out on a level playing field. If it is overly influenced by items then its not skillbased.

I just feel that WOW is a cute but very limited game when you put all of that into perspective.
  • cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094
    Lol reminds me of when Naxx came out with T3 set, people on the forums /crying because they spent 3 months getting full T2 set only for that set to no longer be the uber set.  A game needs to expand, you knew playing WoW that WoW was gear focused so stop bitching.

And I hate exgagerations, replacing a legendary weapon with a green bought from a vendor... come on stop talking crap. 

My T2 set lasted me till lvl 68 and which point I started to replace it with the dungeon set, at no point were greens and blues dropped from 60-68 better than my T2 (expect for weapons, trinkets and rings), if you wanna bitch at least put some truth in it.

As for legendary weapons I agree, they are damn hard to get and less than 0.5% of players ever get them and I think blizz should of put in a quest chain that lets you upgrade a ledgendary weapon.

Other than that, get over it and either quit or play on.

• huxflux2004huxflux2004 Member Posts: 730
    wow is to mmorpg's what britney spears is to music. Extremely popular, extremely low quality. the masses like this stuff