Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When the T20 scandall came out howdid you react?

LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Thats basically what im asking how did yuo reactt o the revelation's all those weeks ago?

I personally was uninterested mainly because i just read the beginings of te main posts and assumed it was just another Guildwars alt making flame wars on the forums. Then later when i found out the full story......HACKER HACKED UNOFFICIAL FORUMS AND UNCOVERED AN OLD SCANDALL I READ ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO....... I have to admit i was VERY angry, i love eve its the only true sci-fi sandbox mmo i like...in fact it is the ONLY mmo liked and here it comes out that BoB was cheating the whole time it made my blood boil.

So for a while i joined in the hate posts on the official eve forums venting my steam, And now well the anger ahs gone tho it is still there in the background but in the end i love eve and as there is no other game like it ill stay with eve till ana lternative that i like comes around unless Eve really improves and procedures are shown to be put into palce to amke sure this doesant happen again.

Comments

• ArcticblueArcticblue Member Posts: 270

Well I first did not think much about it but I have actually read the whole 106 page thread about it, and more on the net elsewhere and the final straw was the attempt to silence the forums by deleting and locking threads everywhere.. and the more I did read about it (on the 106 page thread) the angryer I did get.

In the end before I had read it all I just went on (this was after a few days) and canceld both my accounts, now yesterday one ran out of the subsciptionperiod and the other one is done 12th this month ...

I spent some time in the game to say goodbye to some friends there, hand over the control of the corporation I have spent 2 years to build up and loads of isk into it... with like 2 battlecruiser bpo's and lots more.

Anyway gave the CEO role to a friend of mine there, all my items that are like 10 battleships (including one Nightmare faction battleship), lots of faction ships in general, both cruisers and frigates... lots of other items, 2 battlecruiser bpo's (Myrmidion and Prophecy), cruisers bpo's and many many more ... even 2 tech 2 bpo's I have been lucky winning in the lottery (ammo bpo's) I keep... it also include something like 360 million isk as well and I don't know how many millions in minerals.

All this I kept, because after all ... who knows, maybe the devs find out that maybe... just maybe they acted in the wrong way and starts to correct their mistakes.

Then, and only then I will return to the game... I wrote a goodbye eve post on the forums and people went mad on it, claiming I have not contribute to the forums in any other way than whining ... (wich is totally wrong because I have done alot to help people and only time I have whined on the forums are this incident and back in the days when Macrominers where alot there).

So now I have bought me a copy of World of Warcraft and is playing a Blood Elf Paladin ... so far almost to lvl 30.

Worse part is that I actually do love EVE-Online, but I feel that if we ever are going to be able to get the Dev's to correct their mistakes then we got to hit their wallet... and well maybe too few are thinking the same and actually do it but I know I will do it (and have done it) then it is up to the rest of the playerbase to act the way they feel are the correct way.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Having been involved in the development/GM side of games before (obviously not EVE, no way in hell would I live in Iceland) I honestly felt, and still feel, that the community blew this way out of proportion.  I do agree with most that the company should have delt with this initially rather than trying to quietly deal with it in house and not tell folks what was going on.  They did, in the end, take adequate steps to remediate the situation.

Was I upset at the devs?  No, I was upset at the devs who caused the mess and the management that initially didn't seem interested in fixing/addressing the issue.  But was I ever ready to quit?  No because I knew it was a  bad apple making the Dev team look bad.   Note:  There were several devs OUTED but only 1 ever did anything wrong as far as we know.  To me this screams over-reaction by the playerbase.

They have stated that they've put measures and tools into place that will prevent a recurrance... so... unless there is a recurrance I'm willing to take that at face value and continue to enjoy this wonderful game that has no peer.  EVE is a game apart... and unless/until someone else comes along in the sci-fi odyssey genre I really don't think it'll ever really have a rival.

I'd still LOVE to see the EA/Origin/Mythic team ressurect a very old title from Origin, Privateer, and make it into an MMORPG... or see a Freelancer MMORPG type game (very similar to privateer). 

But will I be leaving EVE?  No... was I ever as furious as some of the hyper-reactive folks were?  No.  I think, in the end, CCP did a fair job of dealing with things.  I just wish they hadn't needed so much nudging.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• CCCnodeCCCnode Member Posts: 6

*XXX*

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    Originally posted by CCCnode

Stuff
    I ddi ask for people to say how you reacted i didnt ask for a comprehensive explanation on how CCP is evil.

• lowradslowrads Member UncommonPosts: 200
    CCP have always had favorites.  I've known this since beta when I used to hang out with the "pillars of the community" on IRC.  Most of the really old, well organized corps have had significant interaction and cooperation with devs and GMs.   Face it, the people who others willingly surround and obey are absolutely to the success of a corporation dependent upon a subscriber base.  Those are typical alliance leadership cores.  EVE started out as a very small, niche mmog, so it had to have close involvement with the players.  99% of the time, they remain aloof though.

CCP toned down the teacher's pet thing when they started getting bored with the game two years ago and the EVE IRC community kinda died.. or at least migrated to more private realms.   Most of those old timers involved with CCP are usually bug hunters or RPers, or involved in some other way.   CCP are more indifferent now.  You could tell by the wording of their posts that they were burned out on the whole EVE project till they hired on more professional community reps who are paid to be chipper. 

All in all, it didn't affect me much.  I play the game because of the other players, and for the most part, the vast majority of them can only bend the rules as much as the next guy. 

People just hate/love BoB because they are a typical mmog top guild.  They attract all the energetic pvpers and npcers that can't organize themselves independently.   BoB doesn't really do anything all that interesting for the most part.  They have a few good web apps, some smart technical people, and have popularized the 0.0 renter scheme.  That's about it though.  They are still a humdrum NBSI complex-whorin alliance at the end of the day, no different from all the others.

It's still a good game.  As it grows though, people just have whinier and more demanding hoops for the DM to jump through.
  • Ashton692Ashton692 Member Posts: 138

When I first heard the news about T20 I was shocked, not that this type of thing happened in Eve, but that it was T20 - I liked that guy.  We all make mistake I guess - but it was a bitter pill to swallow.

My initial shock turned to disbelief, anger, and betrayl as I CCP fumbled through handling it.  I will say it again, the incident itself didn't sour me as much as the reaction.

There was a brief ray of hope with the appointment of the IA guy.  But then when I perceived that all the tough questions in that thread went unanswered... well... bummer.

Now I'm in the ... crap... stage... every day I hope that some magical Dev blog will make it all better... but with CCPs track record of handling it.. well... meh...

So at this stage I have gone from Fanboi to Critic.  It's funny actually - I have seen other people make the journey from fanboi to critic before... and I always think "wow, dude, get over it." ... but now that it happened to me.  Damn.

Don't think I'm past the point of no return though - because if I was why would I bother posting in this thread and readin about Eve?  But I haven't logged in since the week after it happened - all my accounts have been cancelled.  I want to enjoy it - I just don't trust them to handle these things going forward when they do happen.  They will happen.  And I don't want to have to rely on the Kugs of the world to be CCPs moral anchor.

Cheers.

• LasraikLasraik Member Posts: 170
    I closed my accounts and uninstalled the client.
  • TaniquetilTaniquetil Member Posts: 214
    Not really that bothered , I dont like playing in alliances anyhow.
  • Rod_BRod_B Member Posts: 203

I wold rpeferably have kicked t20 in the head for his stupidness.

Originally posted by Rod_B

Thats suprising considering it was your alliance that he helped out

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Pissed.  MMORPG devs expect us to sign EULAs and screw us over with them on a drop of a dime, I expect for that "legalese screwing over" at least a little professionalism.

Mostly, my reaction has been to poke fun at CCP and BoD though.  I'm still a n00b to Eve and CCP has not screwed me anywhere near as much as SOE has....   But I am watching CCP closer now  CCP vets are Eve's core though, their opinion is more important than mine.  They dedicated their time to this "game," and created the community that made this "game" attractive.

BTW-I don't buy into that BS MMORPGs are just "games" and many psychologists don't either.  MMORPGs are communities first and games second.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• AedosenAedosen Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by Taram

Was I upset at the devs?  No, I was upset at the devs who caused the mess and the management that initially didn't seem interested in fixing/addressing the issue.  But was I ever ready to quit?  No because I knew it was a  bad apple making the Dev team look bad.   Note:  There were several devs OUTED but only 1 ever did anything wrong as far as we know.  To me this screams over-reaction by the playerbase.

They have stated that they've put measures and tools into place that will prevent a recurrance... so... unless there is a recurrance I'm willing to take that at face value and continue to enjoy this wonderful game that has no peer.  EVE is a game apart... and unless/until someone else comes along in the sci-fi odyssey genre I really don't think it'll ever really have a rival.

But will I be leaving EVE?  No... was I ever as furious as some of the hyper-reactive folks were?  No.  I think, in the end, CCP did a fair job of dealing with things.  I just wish they hadn't needed so much nudging.
    Pretty much how I felt aswell. Also I might add that the people you describe as "hyper-reactive" have probably annoyed and amused me more than anything else in  this matter.
  • JowenJowen Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Lasraik

I closed my accounts and uninstalled the client.
    Ditto.

I needed the space on the harddisk to install the Brain Computer Interface development software.
  • Rod_BRod_B Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by LordSlater

Originally posted by Rod_B

Thats suprising considering it was your alliance that he helped out

Not really. We would have preferred it greatly if he had played fair.

Like the meazly few second rate bpo's he spawned made any impact at all on the collective ability of BoB ... We probably have over a hundred t2 bpo's that individually are worth the same or more then any of the ones he spawned himself. We run/ran hundreds of pos. We control half a dozen 10/10's and about 20 lower ranked complexes. We control three cosmos regions, multiple dozens of abc ore holding systems and about 40 stations. Do you think the few billion isk he might have contributed made any impact at all, assuming he contributed any isk at all ?

We would have much preferred CCP to have retained the lost credibility. And for the coalition to have found a better way to motivate their members for their bandwagon attack (its not like we haven't tried giving them one in the last year or so).

I think whats getting to most of us is that there was little in the way of punishment at all.

• Whiskey6Whiskey6 Member Posts: 58
    I cancelled one account to show my displeasure with how the Devs are showing favortism, of course I'll start it back up again once the training time for the skill I started is up
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

How did you react ?:

I was very angry when I heard about this because it was clear to me that the power balance in EVE has been massively changed by unsanctioned dev influence. Not by the few BPOs he gave one alliance, but by the information that was selectively leaked and resulted in a massive imbalance in the distribution of the BPOs - the money printing machines of EVE - and by stuff that entered the game via events (like motherships).

I have observed first hand numerous irregularities and it was never clear if this was just a glitch or paranoia or the real thing. With this scandal being brought to light it was clear that these REALLY WERE the cheats and exploits I suspected.

I personally moved out of 0.0 space as there is currently no point in playing the alliance game with all this metagaming, hacking, node crashing, bugs, exploits, unknown "features" (like shooting through POS shields). I moved back to the empire for some PvE solo gaming until CCP cleans up its act. I have cancelled a second triple cyno character account (as I dont need it anymore and to send CCP a message they feel in their wallets).

Have fun

Erillion

• StrayStray Member Posts: 15

I was disappointed. I vented my disappointment on the official thread and waited to see how CCP responded. I was angered when all they did was lock the thread after having it run all weekend, then they started the deleting of threads and banning of people trying to continue to voice their concerns when there was no avenue left. Obviously, the players were not satisfied with how it was handled and CCP decided to put their heads into the sand.

So, I sold off all of my goods, equipment, etc, took my main character in a cloaked ship out to 0.0, found a gate camp, and let them blow my ship up as well as pod me. lol. It was the first time in the years I've played Eve that I was killed by a player.

I gave all of my isk to my corp, the isk I had left over after being pod killed I gave to the person that laid the final blow, deleted all of my characters from my 2 accounts, and canceled both subscriptions. That's to insure I would never go back. Too much work to get a character that far.

- Stray