Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another VISTA Problem

GrimOwlGrimOwl Member UncommonPosts: 8

Hi PvP fans,

I've fired up a brand new computer with VISTA, and my first to-do was launch sb.  I've been playing on and off for a couple of year, and anxious to get back in game.

I downloaded the free file from file planet.  I unzip the file, and have the InstallAnywhere file ready to go.  I launch the InstallAnywhere, which proceeds to extract to 100%, then bombs out with a cryptic java error.  I've tried running the InstallAnywhere as administrator and under compatability with xp, 2000, 95, etc.  Same java error everytime.

Folks on the official forums are saying the best work around is to obtain a copy of an installed sb.exe from an xp machine, and just copy  it onto my Vista machine.

I don't have a second PC to work with, so I'm in  bind.

Anyone know of another workaround to this java error?

Anyone know of where the full sb.exe might be hosted for download? 

Thanks!

Comments

• lauxeslauxes Member Posts: 88
    vista doesnt support SB, just like many other games, vista is mainly for your regular computer needs, not gaming....they are in the works for  vista to work with gaming!
  • elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

I"m not quite familiar with what InstallAnywhere is but it sounds like its not compatible have you tried obtaining and actual disk for the game?   Most games will run under Windows Vista don't listen to the poster above me.  If the game runs on Direct X 9 it'll run because Windows Vista does support it.  But there's alot of 3rd party stuff that Vista won't support sounds like InstallAnywhere is some sort of 3rd party installer since vista supposedly won't let you install a game just anywhere anymore, am i right?  Make sure your java is updated as well. 

Thats the best I can give you since..I'd rather cut my own arm off than have vista on my machine before hardware updates and service packs are sorted out.

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

"Most games will run under Windows Vista"

ROFL - yeah, right...

"If the game runs on Direct X 9 it'll run because Windows Vista does support it."

What on earth have you been smoking?? DX isn't the only compatibility factor!

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Try setting the shadowbane.exe to windows xp compatibility. I do not have vista, but i know I used to have the same problem back in the day when xp came out, and I had to set all my games to win 98 compatibility.
  • lauxeslauxes Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by elvenangel

I"m not quite familiar with what InstallAnywhere is but it sounds like its not compatible have you tried obtaining and actual disk for the game?   Most games will run under Windows Vista don't listen to the poster above me.  If the game runs on Direct X 9 it'll run because Windows Vista does support it.  But there's alot of 3rd party stuff that Vista won't support sounds like InstallAnywhere is some sort of 3rd party installer since vista supposedly won't let you install a game just anywhere anymore, am i right?  Make sure your java is updated as well. 

Thats the best I can give you since..I'd rather cut my own arm off than have vista on my machine before hardware updates and service packs are sorted out.
    lol yea dude your smokeing something, let me in on it ..you need to read more up on vista
  • GrimOwlGrimOwl Member UncommonPosts: 8

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm running all of my other games without a problem.  Here, my problem isn't the game, just the installer.  The installer tries to execute something in Java, and bombs out.  I've loaded and reloaded the most current Java version.  Tried running the installer as "Administrator" and under compatablility of every possible O/S.  I've even tried setting all of the Java program ojbects to run as Administrator and under different compatabilities.

The official shadowbane boards report succes running the game on top of Vista...but no one seems to be having the installer problems I have.

Might check the sale bins for some original CDs.

Thanks for theinterest,

GrimOwl

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628
    I did a search on ebay and I saw the game new in the box going for like 3 and 4 dollars plus shipping. You should probably buy it from there, cause it will cost more to purchase it from a store. Hope you work your problem out and I also hope to see you in game!
  • GrimOwlGrimOwl Member UncommonPosts: 8

An update:

I loaded shadobane on an xp machine, copied the entire shadowbane folder to an external harddrive, and then copied the folder to my new computer.

Game runs perfect.

Thanks all!