Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Addiction?

I just recently watched a news report on how computer games are addicting and they happend to use WoW as the computer game the kids were addicted to... I was wonderin if anyone else thought its addicting and if its really  a problem... I have played it about two weeks and it seems like it could be very addicting. But, i dont really see a lot of a problem unless someone throws thier life away to play it...but people do that with everything...ex: any kind of sports/thier career/drugs/treasure hunting/ect. i dont think its a problem...

*??)XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX(??*
?.•??.•*??)?.•*?*•.?(??*•.??•.?
(?.•? (?.• MEAT_BAG0 •.?) ?•.?)
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Comments

• Tommy43Tommy43 Member Posts: 2

im not addticted to WoW what are you taking about  >.< ,

Well it is a addicting i have no idea why maybe its the graphics, maybe there brain washing us!

• ferofaxferofax Member Posts: 82
    ...from what i can remember, usually its a combination of the gameplay, the whole graphics/animation/over-all-look package, and the community itself. see, a game might not be that impressive on the graphics side, but if you've got a lot of friends there, then that could get you addicted. as for WoW, i personally think its a great game, although i try not to get too addicted to it.

---------------------------------
    be a sweetheart, help me dominate the world...

• kaskuskaskus Member Posts: 105
    as just the poll says..addicting games depend on who is playing with it..they are making reasons for some problems they've  doing actually it is all their responsibility...it is up to the player if he skips lunch, dinner or even school just to play the game...you must be responsible enough to have your duties done and not affecting other responsibility...
  • TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078
    Most MMOs are a timesink - the more time you put in, the more you advance.  People are naturally competitive, and thus want to advance as quickly as possible and outdistance the competitiors.  I'm not really sure I'd call the addiction to MMOs...more, I'd say it's an addiction to winning.  Games like soccer or football have an end where a winner is declared, but in the massively multiple online universe the winner is whoever spends the most time.

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• meat_bag0meat_bag0 Member Posts: 94
    Yeah they were comparing mmo's to drugs like crack and heroin and stuff....it was really harsh...all i know about it is that it was on youtube if anyone wants to watch it.

• xenodudexenodude Member UncommonPosts: 21

i think he's a noob
    addicting things like cracks and drugs and whatever things that might be bad for your health is not comparable to this game...

we must be thankful that we are addicted to a such game than other unworldly things..i that reason i thank this game for it.
    Yeah i am a noob thanks for noticing

• laffncrylaffncry Member Posts: 92
    maybe they call it "addicting(which i define diff from others)" is because of some people tend to make the game live for them than the other way around..they skip important things in their life just to play and i know for sure that is not good. playing games is fun but it's not right to make it your LIFE!
  • w175jabw175jab Member Posts: 239
    Originally posted by Taera

Most MMOs are a time sink - the more time you put in, the more you advance.  People are naturally competitive, and thus want to advance as quickly as possible and outdistance the competitors.  I'm not really sure I'd call the addiction to MMOs...more; I'd say it's an addiction to winning.  Games like soccer or football have an end where a winner is declared, but in the massively multiple online universe the winner is whoever spends the most time.
    Agreed.

However in the real world: Time = Money

Advancing towards what is the question...

We're in a power struggle for more appealing strands of binary code?

That's sweet @$$
  • xenodudexenodude Member UncommonPosts: 21

not you meat bag... the kid in the video :D

forgive me for not making my self ver clear.

Originally posted by meat_bag0

Yeah i am a noob thanks for noticing
    oh i thought you were talking about me xeno but i really amsomewhat of a noob. i just played a trial account to a lvl 20 lock and i think a lvl 7 hunter or somethin. but i really did just start playin so technically i am a noob. lol im not really offended anyway because of the fact that i really am new but thanks.

• KillikKillik Member Posts: 33

The problem with wow I find is that high lvl instances take so long to do and when you do finsh them u don't get exactly what you want. For example: You deside that u want to an instance, well first you have to find or create a group of people who are the right classes and levels to blance the party then once the party is complete you all have to travel to that instance and most of the time the party members are on opposite ends of the world so they have a long distance to travel. While they're on their way to the instance they have to stockup on items and repair, once thats done they have to start traveling either on foot, mount, flight, or zeplin. On the way they could: miss then zeplin, get killed by a mob or another character (pvp servers), not have enough money for a flight, and or go afk. Once  they do reach the start of the intance they have to get past all the mobs inorder to enter it and depending on their; skill, class, lvl, gear, instance, and # of party members with them, that can be sort of a hassle/time muncher aswell. Finaly when all the party members do make it into the instance getting though it can take anyware from 2-6+ hours just to clear it depending on; skill, class, lvl, gear, instance, party cooperation, argo management, people leaving the group, how much of the instance they want to do, deaths/wipes, people going afk, and general knowledge of the instance. Even when a party finshes the instance, the main reason why the party did the instance was to get good items that are only avaibile in that instance and you don't always get what you were hoping for from the drops and maybe not anything at all so you pretty much could have just wasted a couple hours of your life (unless u had a shit load of fun getting nothing). So since you didn't get what u wanted, you feel that u must do it all agian to try to get the item(s) u wanted.

WoW is the funnist MMORPG I've ever played, but I find I just don't have anytime to play it due to school, work, and my social life.

My spoon is too big -_-

• laffncrylaffncry Member Posts: 92
    that's right man..gamers should still maintain their social life an at the same time enjoying WOW, see yah!!
  • talkinggoattalkinggoat Member Posts: 26
    The honest truth is that if you have an addictive personality and you are horrible at managing your time you are probably going to get addicted to SOMETHING, and maybe its an MMO. This is not the games' fault. It is your fault. If you are bad at time management it means other things too, like, say, your ability to succeed in the workplace or hold on to a girlfriend. People (and MMORPG haters) tend to latch on to the wrong parts of the equation. It is not the game, its the person playing it and their inability to cope with real life and/or inability to get their proverbial stuff together in a general sense.
  • VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by kaskus

addicting things like cracks and drugs and whatever things that might be bad for your health is not comparable to this game...

we must be thankful that we are addicted to a such game than other unworldly things..i that reason i thank this game for it.

Are you aware there are 2 types of addiction yes? physical and mental. Physical addiction come from substances, like tobacco or alcohol. Mental addiction from from your psyke.

But it doesn't matter who you are, mentally addicted people rarely wanted to end up like that... their life is a wretch and is REALLY hard to get off it.

So, please, do not underestimate a problem that could be serious. Surely WoW is not the only form of mental addiction around, most MMorpg could become one, but it surely amplified the problem about 8 millions time.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

I think it's time intensity is more the concern. For instance, if you were playing a flash game which was 'addictive' then its not much of an issue, however, couple with that with time intensity and you have a problematic combination for some people.

• SinuousSinuous Member Posts: 58
    This is nothing new........started back in the day with EQ.

Thats when this gem of an organization was formed:

www.mavav.org/resources/

• WakunahumWakunahum Member Posts: 15
    I really don't think you can call it an addiction.

Playing all the time can be problematic and really mess someone's life up but it's still not an addiction.  Let me explain.

If you were to take 1 gram of crack everyday for 2 months, you would be addicted.  100% of anyone who did this to themselves would have an addiction for crack.

Some people have played warcraft and didn't like it.  Some played everyday for a few months and really didn't have any desire to play more.  Some people play a few hours here and there while others spend all their time on the game.

Unlike crack, some people show addictive behavior with warcraft while others do not. 

It's not theoretically addictive since not everyone who plays has the need to be playing the game each day.  Crack would force someone to have need for it daily while a video game doesn't have the same effect on people.
    i rather play world of warcraft than to be inclined to some sort of bad thingy...
  • VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by Wakunahum

I really don't think you can call it an addiction.

Playing all the time can be problematic and really mess someone's life up but it's still not an addiction.  Let me explain.

If you were to take 1 gram of crack everyday for 2 months, you would be addicted.  100% of anyone who did this to themselves would have an addiction for crack.

Some people have played warcraft and didn't like it.  Some played everyday for a few months and really didn't have any desire to play more.  Some people play a few hours here and there while others spend all their time on the game.

Unlike crack, some people show addictive behavior with warcraft while others do not. 

It's not theoretically addictive since not everyone who plays has the need to be playing the game each day.  Crack would force someone to have need for it daily while a video game doesn't have the same effect on people.

*points to my own posts couple posts higher* Yeah, crack has a physical addiction. Your body demands more and you physically feel bad for it.

Mental addiction, however is also a problem. The human brain is the most complicated organ of the whole world and we, humans, can barely understand how it works. So certain people does not have the problem and others do. It is easy to throw it away saying "they had problems before" or "they were nutcases anyhow" until it happens to you or some of your friends.

Then you would be all "how the heck did it happens?" And you have no idea but everytime you try to explain it to your family or your friends they are not very supportive while instead threat you like a drugged bastard "told you so! now it is your problem, deal with it" "just stop! how hard it could be?"

Well ask any smoker how hard it is to quit smoking. Yes, tobacco does causate physical addiction, but the mental one is by far the strongest of the two as tobacco band aids can help you reduce your physical addiction with no problems.

So why they do not stop even if they tell to your face they want to and they know it is bad for their health? do that mean all smokers out there that cannot stop are somehow psychos or nutcases? geez, the world must be a mental hospital then...

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• WakunahumWakunahum Member Posts: 15
    My point is about the % rate of being becoming addicted.

Take 100 random people and make them smoke for 3 months.  95%+ would be addicted (wether physical or mental).  These 100 people would struggle to stop smoking because it's an addiction.

Take 100 random people and have them play warcraft for 3 months.  There would be substantially less who felt a compulsion to play the game.  Some will like the game and some won't.  Some will think about it all the time and some won't let it cross their minds until they do play.  Some would continue to play after the 3 month test period while others would walk away from the game and play something else or do something else.

While some of these warcaft players might struggle to stop playing, most wouldn't struggle like the smoking group.  The smokers would have a terribly hard time not smoking.  Most would be fine day to day without warcraft while smokers would not be fine day to day with no cigs.
  • MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    WoW is not addicting. Addiction is a physiological process that involves changes in the body's chemistry.  People can (and do)  form a psychological dependence on the game, but addiction? No.
  • iddmitriiddmitri Member UncommonPosts: 671

Originally posted by MortisRex
    WoW is not addicting. Addiction is a physiological process that involves changes in the body's chemistry. People can (and do) form a psychological dependence on the game, but addiction? No.

Dumb ignorant, do some research before posting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_addiction

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Yes it is addicting, WOW or any MMORPG, but WOW is very good at it because of its pleasant feeling about the controls and smoothness. It's all about reward. You get:

1-reward after every hit or spell

2-reward after every kill

3-reward after quest completition

4-reward after leveling

*go to 1*

Same with crafting.