Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ATI's tiny R600 gpu

bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

Some picture and pictures of ATI's R600 270watt drawing dx10 gpu (1GB dragon's head xtx, 512MB cat's eye xt.)

Consider external gpu in your future ... especially in MS's 2009 OS

Now just need something on the R700 (wpkiva.)

Comments

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

"ATI is preparing for the release of its high-end graphic chip, the R600, with the chip expected to hit the market between the end of March and beginning of April, according to Taiwan-based graphic card makers.

The R600, which will compete head to head against Nvidia's G80, is manufactured on 80nm node, supports DirectX10 and features DDR4, the Taiwan makers added.

The R600 will come in four models targeting different market segments. The high-end part will have power consumption of 270 Watts and target OEM partners, such as Dell, sources said. Earlier reports listed Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) as the foundry partner.

The other models (including XTX, XT, XL) will target channel markets and will have a power consumption lower than 240 Watts, added the sources.

Nvidia, on the other hand, may launch its G84 and G86 at the upcoming CeBIT show, with the parts targeting the mid-range and entry-level markets, respectively, the motherboard makers said."
    link

• 8299482994 Member Posts: 99
    damn i gotta get me one of these how much they gonna cost?
  • bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

I think this R600 is just WAY to long to fit into most desktop tower PC.

Comparison between the R600 and the GF 8800gtx.

Specs leaked ?
    *64 4-Way SIMD Unified Shaders, 128 Shader Operations/Cycle
    *32 TMUs, 16 ROPs
    *512 bit Memory Controller, full 32 bit per chip connection
    *GDDR3 at 900 MHz clock speed (January) (canceled)
    *GDDR4 at 1.1 GHz clock speed (March, revised edition)
    *Total bandwidth 115 GB/s on GDDR3
    *Total bandwidth 140 GB/s on GDDR4
    *Consumer memory support 1024 MB
    *DX10 full compatibility with draft DX10.1 vendor-specific cap removal (unified programming)
    *32FP [sic] internal processing
    *Hardware support for GPU clustering (any x^2 [sic] number, not limited to Dual or Quad-GPU)
    *Hardware DVI-HDCP support (High Definition Copy Protocol)
    *Hardware Quad-DVI output support (Limited to workstation editions)
    *230W to 270W TDP PCI-SIG compliant

edit: processing power
    *105,000,000,000 SOps (Shader Operations Per Second) 105 G SOps
    *2,000,000,000 TCps (Triangle Calculations Per Second) 2 G TCps
    *28 GTps (Gigatexels Per Second)

edit2:
    pic and benchmark from march CeBIT, btw they are hoping for 240W @ 65nm instead of 270W @ 80nm process soon... also think they are adding a sound card on the gpu.
    still nothing on the r700.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

this is one of the main reasons I went with a 8800 GTS 640 MB one its $200 cheaper than the GTX 768 MB flavor and secondly andmore importantly with the R600 coming with those given specs, I will be getting a major jump on the DX10 bandwagon anget some worth while performance.not to mention nvidia is going to becoming out with the 84, 86 flavors that offer solutions to the mid range, and entry level markets so there is no options for me there. with the R600 and being the second line up in DX10 series of cards we will see a considerable jump in performance.

i figure since my nephew needs a nice PCI-E card imight as throw it to him, get some money back and put it towrads my ATI/AMD R600 card :P. crysis will truly rock with that card. and march/april time frame isnt that far away guys, so save your money. and get ready to battle me on in CRYSIS!

oh yeah hopefully by april vista will a bit more stable, and DX 10 patched to a more stable platform to actually use.

CYA ON THE BATTLEFIELDS!!

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• plutieplutie Member Posts: 19
    Well, i know this will be avalible beacuse it was in a magazine.

And i dont think the price will be under .. lets say 900$ maybe it will be more expensive.

I wouldnt but this card

// Plutie ;D

• neorockeneorocke Member Posts: 4

Not that I'm right, but I've been following info on this card for awhile.  I heard that the OEM version is the long one that you see in the pictures and will be longer than the 8800GTX.  Yet the retail version is shorter then the 8800.  Just what I've read.  

Plus with amd and ati working together expect to see rumors and maybe info about increased performance between amd / radeon chipsets... well at least we can hope right?