Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What made DAOC great is being taken away

kymekyme Member Posts: 411
There has been a trend from almost the start of DAOC to remove the thing which made it so special. This thing is DAOC's unbalanced classes/races. DAOC didn't start out with cookie-cutter characters, but now that is changing. The mauler is now a common class to all realms, the minotuar is a common race to realms.

The lastest update to DAOC is clear and obvious proof DAOC is becoming cookie-cutter. I daresay the biggest and most unneeded nerf occurred to the animist. The animist was a turret placing class and now the turrets are being reduced to 5. The only change they should have made is remove all placed turrets once the animist falls in battle.

I have played nearly every class and I can tell when someone is speaking out of their a55. Some people say an animist can go afk in rvr. Since FnF turrets have a life span of 2 mins and by the time you finish placing them, they begin to fall and you must start over I would like to see that. The turrets can be simple to kill if you know what you are doing. Stand out of turret range, which isn't difficult and use aoe, congrats you just wasted the animists power poll. Even the best animists are fragile, a handful of well laid hits and they are eating ground.

I hate to see the unique DAOC turret class go. It seems some day every realm will have the same classes and races. I hate WOW games. What do you think?

Comments

• karnaktckarnaktc Member Posts: 12
    being insta killed by shrooms is not fun.Hots and damage procs off weapon styles(rag and levi) need to be removed or all classes need to have them.But i guess it is working as intended and thanks for playing daoc.
  • WerppaWerppa Member Posts: 211

Well, It's just much more fun if classes are balanced. It wasn't fun when Warlock could kill people with one nuke and damn I'm glad that they nerfed WL. Same goes for animist, it just isn't right if one class can handle one fg alone. seems than someone had one though 

"I actually cook my meat with nothing but my burning hatred for vegetables"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    I support the efforts to rebalance Animists....they were sorely in need of it..even if they don't feel that way.....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SubrennaSubrenna Member Posts: 31
    Theurgs will be/should be soon...
  • JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357
    Originally posted by kyme

There has been a trend from almost the start of DAOC to remove the thing which made it so special. This thing is DAOC's unbalanced classes/races. DAOC didn't start out with cookie-cutter characters, but now that is changing. The mauler is now a common class to all realms, the minotuar is a common race to realms.

The lastest update to DAOC is clear and obvious proof DAOC is becoming cookie-cutter. I daresay the biggest and most unneeded nerf occurred to the animist. The animist was a turret placing class and now the turrets are being reduced to 5. The only change they should have made is remove all placed turrets once the animist falls in battle.

I have played nearly every class and I can tell when someone is speaking out of their a55. Some people say an animist can go afk in rvr. Since FnF turrets have a life span of 2 mins and by the time you finish placing them, they begin to fall and you must start over I would like to see that. The turrets can be simple to kill if you know what you are doing. Stand out of turret range, which isn't difficult and use aoe, congrats you just wasted the animists power poll. Even the best animists are fragile, a handful of well laid hits and they are eating ground.

I hate to see the unique DAOC turret class go. It seems some day every realm will have the same classes and races. I hate WOW games. What do you think?

Umm Kyme, I have played all 3 realms over the past 4+ years and I still do. Animist were very overpowered and yes I played one and know. Sure turrets can be killed easily and the animist themselves are fragile, but typically the animist is safely behind the walls, in a keep or tower. The Animist can put out enough turrets and keep putting them out to keep the enemy busy. That is too much power for one class to have. Until the turrets have been killed, the enemy force cannot move in. What other class played averagely can hold off a 8 man group or more all by themselves while their comrades flank them? Because of the Animist, the Hibernian realm requires significantly less people to defend a keep or tower than any other realm. This allows the rest of the Hibernian forces the ability to do other things such as flanking, coming from the rear or to attack other keeps and towers in retaliation.

Animists are overpowered...period. People who complain about this nerf are the Animists who simply chose the class for their overpoweredness. The rest of Hibernia, the non-exploiter types, and other realms can see how overpowered the Animists are. If we lose a lot of accounts because of the Animist class nerf, then good. We will get rid of a lot of min/maxers who only roll a class because of their effectiveness in RvR, instead of rolling one because they fit the users playstyle.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• CalinghCalingh Member Posts: 6
    I totally agree to the above post.  I played a warlock before they got hit by the nerf-bat, and I loved every minute of RvR on him, because at 45 I was unleasing two chambers and taking out a level 50 tank.  When they got nerfed, I was unhappy, but I adjusted, and he still does just fine in RvR.  Unlike animists though, warlocks cannot hold off a siege for twenty minutes by themselves.  Noone can but an animist.  I'm glad for the nerf, because I switched back to Midgard because of the overpoweredness of a hib zerg/8-man.  It was just annoying in RvR not being able to have a challenging fight.  Now that I am back in Midgard, I see why the animist needs a nerf.  I was just messing around in the Hills of Claret the other day on my new Spiritmaster, and was defending the keep with 12 other Mids.  Two bainshees, a bard, a warden, and an animist took the keep by themselves.  All the animist did was hole up in one of the towers, and start laying shrooms all over the place.  Because of LoS issues with all these pets, we got wiped in a matter of minutes, and when we tried to get back into our keep to keep defending, we were all insta killed because of the massive amount of mushrooms that were laying out of LoS until it was too late.  The 5-shroom limit should help balance keep defense and such.  I wholeheartedly support the nerf...
  • SubrennaSubrenna Member Posts: 31

Hmmm wonder what this will mean....

Post-nerf animists will soon be getting a special ability to compensate for the new limits on FnF turrets in PVE. "We don't want to make PVE more difficult for anybody," Mythic developers told players at the NYC Roundtable on Saturday night. While they wouldn't go into details, developers said they are working on a strategy that would increase the strength of shrooms so they will do as much damage to epic mobs as in the past. They noted that the new ability won't be exactly the same as Midgard's Call of a Thousand Storms.

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357
    Originally posted by Subrenna

Hmmm wonder what this will mean....
    Post-nerf animists will soon be getting a special ability to compensate for the new limits on FnF turrets in PVE. "We don't want to make PVE more difficult for anybody," Mythic developers told players at the NYC Roundtable on Saturday night. While they wouldn't go into details, developers said they are working on a strategy that would increase the strength of shrooms so they will do as much damage to epic mobs as in the past. They noted that the new ability won't be exactly the same as Midgard's Call of a Thousand Storms.

It is one of two things. A new RA that you can put points into for more PvE fire power, or they are adding some new abilities to you spec lines.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• CalinghCalingh Member Posts: 6
    I really don't think that would be fair to the animists if it's an RA.  I know I wouldn't go out and farm albs or mids to get RA pts to spend on PvE stuff.... it's just kind of worthless imo.  While everyone else is getting their rp's to better themselves in RvR, an animist would need to spend it on skills for PvE, which would make them undesirable in a PvP group, and alot less powerful in RvR as a whole.
  • OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

Good nerf imho.

• SyriSyri Member UncommonPosts: 230
    First of all, i'm in total agreement that something needed doing to Animists to stop them being a one man keep defense. However, I'm of the opinion that the current plan simply takes it too far. yes, by all means cut down on the number of turrets, but I don't see any reason to apply the same restrictions within pve only zones. Also I don't think they need to be quite as drastic in reducing the numbers. maybe about 6-8 turrets per animist, or maybe so many of each type of turret or something.

It kinda reminds me in a way of the smite nerf in days of old. Instead of just bringing smite down to a viable level that was below the power of a wizard, they cut it down so far that a smite cleric could barely solo blue con mobs, and would run out of power in 2 kills. It would be a shame to see the animist go the same way, as while a change is needed, current proposals are taking it a bit far in my own view.

And just for the record, I play hib as a blademaster (I do have an animist but only about level 30), but I also play in Albion, so I know the animist's abilities from both sides of the fence.

------------------------------
    Currently playing: Rift

former player of: DAoC, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, SWG (pre-NGE), WoW, Warhammer online, LotR:O

• VistaakahVistaakah Member Posts: 176

It's actually humorous after not playing for over 2 years to read the same whines. Animists were a PVP problem way back when they first entered the game when their turrets didn't require line of sight to vaporize targets .. They addressed that before i quit playing DAOC. One problem that plagued DAOC in its entirety is whiners. Every class wants and equal opportunity to beat every other class in PVP and the lore behind the classes doesn't support that. Mages used to whine when being one shot by assassins. Hey they wear cloth for crying out loud. Well then came the absorb buff that nearly put them into plate armor  melee resistances. I figure mages do outrageous damage they should be soft as butter. It's the fantasy lore behind unarmored magical classes. They are not supposed to be able to take much damage. That is one of Mythic fallacies. They let the game slip from the original design which was the more realistic. The truth is in games of this genre not every class should be equally strong against every class and IMHO that is what ruins otherwise wonderful games. All classes should have strengths and weakness to use or exploit against all other classes.

Vistaakah

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    Originally posted by Ogrelin

Good nerf imho.
    Yeah, I agree.

It's not the fairest thing in the world to go AFK and still have the power to knock out an entire group.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    It is a huge myth that animists can do a lot of what people claim.  Turets last 2 min.  It takes awhile to cast a full stack.  So you might have 60-90 seconds left when you are caped.  Can you go AFK?  Sure but soon those shrooms are going to fall.  If someone gets to you then you are going to die.

I will say from what I have heard on the archer changes each realm is basically going to have the same archer from now on (or scouts keep shield, hunters keep pets, and rangers get nothing while the other 2 realms get buffs).