Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are Stargate developers gonna avoid a SWG failure?

13»

Comments

• mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747

well the only reason SWG got to be crap was cuz they thought that the game should be easier and such for casuals. Casual players=death to any game and are the devils themselves

• Sorry to break you moral, but movie-license MMORPGs ?. We have already seen the Star Wars Galaxies and the newest The Matrix Online MMORPG. Neither of these titles was a great financial success, probably due to their divergence from the original property.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by AJZ1

Originally posted by JayAdan

Well, I can tell you all that we have a fantastic team working on the game who know and love Stargate. The last thing that they want to do is create a game that doesn't feel like Stargate.

We also listen to our community. Our community forums are quite active and many of the dev team members participate in those discussions. I might also mention that I'm hear and reading these forums as well, but that woulud be redundant.

Keep an eye out. We're going to be providing a lot more details about the game in the coming months and you can judge for yourselves.

BTW if you guys and gals didn't know the personal whos posted I'm quoting here is one of the lead devs at SGW

Don't bother, AjZ1. Once the SWG pre-cu criers smelled blood because of the OP's badly chosen title, real conversation or aknowledgement that a GAME DEV POSTED WITH NOONE NOTICING won't happen. Children must whine, you know.
  • ShadowLordsShadowLords Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Battlekruse

Sorry to break you moral, but movie-license MMORPGs ?. We have already seen the Star Wars Galaxies and the newest The Matrix Online MMORPG. Neither of these titles was a great financial success, probably due to their divergence from the original property.

You are so VERY wrong. SWG WAS the fastest growing MMO in gaming history. It EASILY could have been a HUGE success if the management at $OE had any clue on how to run an MMO. 3 months into the game they started nerfing EVERYTHiNG they could think of . THIS is what started the downslide of SWG. Instead of fixing stuff and tweaking stuff to make it better or to bring professions more into line they NERFED. 

A Developer working on Stargate Worlds said himself that "SWG had the potential to be a GOLIATH" in the MMO industry. But it was mismanage (my words not his). And with a playerbase of about 350K they were making some SERIOUS money .... but it wasn't good enough for $OE and $LA ... they had to be as big as WoW. Even if they ($OE)didn't have a playerbase following one game for 10 years and even if they ($OE) didn't have servers in 13 different countries ... they felt the need to try to compete instead of polishing. Well now look at SWG ... barely 10K people playing ... down from250K preNGE ..... down 300K (or more) from preCU.

Anyways this thread is about how to avoid a SWG failure. Yet I see nothing in your post that is on subject or accurate. You made a statement but offer nothing to explain your point.

• HandsomeRobHandsomeRob Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by mbblade

well the only reason SWG got to be crap was cuz they thought that the game should be easier and such for casuals. Casual players=death to any game and are the devils themselves

Sorry mbblade, but you couldn't be more wrong about the casuals. Being remade stupidfied easy as it's faillure, yes! but this was not due to 'casual players'

SWG- was the first game made for casuals, how else could you explain a Ent leveling up in a cantina? or a Doctor going out in the wilds for a bit, collecting a few resources, then casually heading back to medical, where they spend some time cratfing med's, a bit socializing, and etc..

Casuals don't demand nor whine constantly to balance their class to anothers. Casuals are in game for a bit, doing their thing, at their pace, and having fun with what they do.

SWG failed because $OE started to cater to the babies, and switching this to that and making Flavor of the month builds to balance everything to everything else, but then they had to do it again next month beecause a new re-balancing act had to be considdered.

These cries for everything to be 'fair' was not from the casuals, but the immature hardcores, who didn't want to find how their class excelled at what they do. Now before everyone dives in to rip me a new one... Not all Hardcores are Immature, and I'm not gonna start that arguement here, but listen to why i say immature hardcores...

SWG was complex, and you had to think, and use your strengths to an advantage. a TKM should not EVER win a ranged fight against  vs a Rifleman. This is a law of physics, close ranged weaponry will not work at long range. Think of a Tank vs a high altidude fighter-bomber. TKM's were a 'martial arts flavor-melee based class'  Why then did they need uber strong buffs from Doc's to wear comp armor? They were not designed / supposed to wear it in the first place... Have you EVER seen Jackie chan, Chuck Noris, or Bruce Lee run about in a Knights full plate armor?

And let's not even start the Jedi whine vs Bounty Hunters, and how that went back an forth... But it was Harcores that wanted to put a cyber smackdown on another toon, which by itself was not a bad thing. Competition/ pvp in MMO's is a great thing, and the old GCW, with TEF was fine.... but when people began to Die because they wanted to charge into Bestine and slaughter Stormie's, didn't understand that they stayed flagged,and then died when they went somewhere else began to whine...

But enough about SWG, question is: How will Stargate Worlds not make the same mistake.... Here is how.

A Medic should not be as powerful combat wise as a full on front line trooper. Likewise a Gua'uld should not have the same techno prowess as the asguard. You may call it class interdependancy, but I call it realistic. Stargate never tried to make Jack O'neill smarter than Samantha.  as such SGW should not rebalance a class 2 years into the run, so as to make it 'Even' nor should they introduce an 'Alpha class'  *cough* Jedi * cough cough* such as the Anubas super soldier as a playable race. Then rebalance everything to be on par with the flavor.....

Mankind is not limited by imagination, but the courage to reach....

• Ragamuffin86Ragamuffin86 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by ShadowLords

SWG did ALOT of things right in game.
    Skill based, alot of interdependancy, crafting system was freaking awesome, player housing, HUGE HUGE maps with lots of room, EVERYTHING in game was crafted by the playerbase, space was well done, it never took a REAL long time to change professions if you wanted .. maybe 3-4 weeks, didn't have to start a new toon to change professions, Lots of professions to choose from.
    I can go on and on ... SWG offered more flexibility and versatility than any other MMO in existance to date. It will be this flexibility and versatility that will make any new MMO a success.
    Totally agree with that, SWG used to be a great game that way. The biggest mistake SWG made was dumping all over their veteran base by changing the game beyond nearly all recognition in a vein attempt to draw in new players, and that's any easy mistake to avoid. No other MMO I know of has made it, atleast not as totally, publicly, and embarrassingly as SWG.

MMOs
    Currently:
    None

Formerly:
    WoW - Phiane - Night Elf Rogue of Ragnaros
    RF Online - Reyord - Cora Warrior of Spirit
    SWG - Phiane Reyord - Pre-CU Jedi of Euro Chimaera
    CoV - Iceis - Ice/Dark Corruptor of Defiant

• DeadJesterDeadJester Member Posts: 499
    I also agree if stargate is anything like what SWG was in the past it will be hugeDo what they did in pre-NGE and make it better and ill be playing stargate when it comes out.
  • XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148
    Star trek online seems like it would be a fun game, I have been a ST fan for Years now, Not of of those Geek ass fans knowed as treky's or anything but i like the Movies and Shows.. and i can see tis being a Good game But!

I have been a fan of the SG theme since the Movie came out back in the early 90's hell i even saw the movie in theater 3 times!!!

Have watched the Series on Tv since it was released as well. my first thought was it was going to Blow because Magyver was in it Hehe, But it turned out to be a realy good show. Me and my Wife Talked About SG Should come out with a MMO Long Before there was Any talked about it, And im glad to See Some one else had the same idea.. I will Most Likey Buy this game when it is released, and will Also be up for Playing Beta if i can get in.. My hype meter is a 10/10 for now.. hoping this will be a classic in the future.

• ShadowLordsShadowLords Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by XxjagoxX

Star trek online seems like it would be a fun game, I have been a ST fan for Years now, Not of of those Geek ass fans knowed as treky's or anything but i like the Movies and Shows.. and i can see tis being a Good game But!

I have been a fan of the SG theme since the Movie came out back in the early 90's hell i even saw the movie in theater 3 times!!!

Have watched the Series on Tv since it was released as well. my first thought was it was going to Blow because Magyver was in it Hehe, But it turned out to be a realy good show. Me and my Wife Talked About SG Should come out with a MMO Long Before there was Any talked about it, And im glad to See Some one else had the same idea.. I will Most Likey Buy this game when it is released, and will Also be up for Playing Beta if i can get in.. My hype meter is a 10/10 for now.. hoping this will be a classic in the future.

STO  is made by Perpetual and they are in bed with $OE. I won't go near the game. Vanguard was expected to be HUGE in the MMO industry and was a complete flop. Most people say because they also got into bed with $OE.

$OE is like the worst plague you could ever have .... so people now avoid it like the plague. Stargate Worlds will have a larger playerbase than Vanguard if they stay away from $OE.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by Clackamas

by not allowing SOE to "publish" the game for them.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• phyrehartphyrehart Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by Clackamas

They need to really listen to what we (paying customer) want!!!!!

They need to make sure the game is ready for release and not force us to "pay for beta"

They need to pay attention to the whole series.  They need to watch each and everyone and get their game play from them.  The weapons used, the space craft or lack there of.  They need to use their imagination  to create roving craft that the sieres didn't have because of budget constraints. They need to develop all the characters (npc) to match the series and make it as real as possible.  Nothing is more annoying then playing a game that is supposed to match a certain book, movie etc and think that die hard fans will miss 'just this one" mistake.

They need to include housing and crafting and a brokers,personal vendors or what ever type of selling entity so we can sell our wares.  They need to make crafting viable. Not something that would feel like a complete waste of time because someone just looted something better.   (they could make it where someone could loot a really good/uber/awesome item but a crafter of what ever sort would and could make it unique so the player feels like "they are the only one" that has it.

They need to make our toons very personal.  Make it so we have a ton of hair styles and make up and facial features so we again feel unique and close to our toons.

I loved SWG for their animation the toons could do.  I would love more of them. 

I loved the abiltiy to really find so many new outfits and really personalize my toon.

I loved the micro managing for crafting and the hunt for a good price on items I needed. 

I love feeling like my toon is unique and when I make something for someone or thing my name is on it and I can open a business saying just that.

They need to make it so we could go to other worlds and make a new world our home. 

They seriously need to have a ton of different types of caves, homes, weapons etc that would be  characteristic to that world.  Nothing more annoying to me then going some place new in a game and find it has the same type of caves, dungeons, homes,buildsing, mobs etc.  Get creative!!!!  (WoW has like the same kind of mob with differnt names all over the place. Even in the latest expansion)

I loved in SWG the dancing and parties we used to put on.  I loved doing weddings and having dresses we could make and really building a home in the game.  People actually put on plays and such.. There were theaters that we could use for it.  Though were limited because of names on our heads lol.  I had the script to The princes Bride.  I wanted to do the play but ran into the name problem.  lol.

This certainly does not cover all of it.  They should do an indepth poll of what we want!

They also could even include ingame games for everyone. Maybe even some kind of sport etc.. /shrug not sure about that one just an idea.

I know probably there was a better way to say all this, I apologize for not doing so but its been a long day and I can't even see anymore. lol.

Take care

Phyre

• KaltesHerzKaltesHerz Member Posts: 237
    Originally posted by MuppetHero

while I am not a fan of SWG, i would not call it a failure. Its still going with no plans of stopping. A Failed game it is not. earth and beyond failed. you know a  game that Doesnt play anymore. or Dark and Light. Something so wrong that its rated no more then a 5 by most media outlets. The game is not in the red so not sure how you can call it a failed game. sucky maybe. failed no.
    Actually Earth and Beyond didn't fail.

Electronic Arts was in the process of taking over Westwood, the developers of E&B. When E&B launched EA hadn't taken full control yet.

Over the ensuing  months however, EA got more and more control over the game. Developers were canned, content was put on hold, and eventually the game was strangled by EA that didn't want to invest any time or money into the game. After a year, EA had full control over Westwood. From what I was told by an employee (claimed to be, and from some of the other things I learned from them, I had no reason to not believe him) EA basically randomly canned people in a "trimming the fat" campaign that was not needed.

I say it didn't fail because it really didn't, it wasn't allowed to fail, it was castrated before it even had a chance to fail.

If Earth and Beyond had been left solely in Westwoods hands, it would still be around, and it would be better than any other Sci-Fi game on the market.

Leave it to EA and Microsoft to strangle anything they see fit, especially if they think it's going to horn in on their profits.

Want a taste of religion? Lick a witch.

• AntiheroDAntiheroD Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Just cause SWG is up and running does not mean its not a failure. The game sucks. Sony ruined it with to many nerfs changes and other crap. The fact it went from a hugh(had 2million at one point?) subscription numbers to less then 200k is proof enough.

I figure as long as Sony isnt running the game, It should be fine. I for one will try it and see .. I like the show and so far from waht ive read the game shows promise.
  • Parsifal57Parsifal57 Member Posts: 267
    No Soe/Sigil/Verant involvement
  • IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    • Ensure that a lot of time is spent on the up front design
    • Spend a lot of time on the game system
      • Charachter Development
      • Longevity
      • Variety
      • Flexibility
    • Consider Past MMORPG failure and try to understand these.

Do not pander to the minority

• EichenkatzeEichenkatze Member Posts: 340
    SGW, in order to avoid a deathly downfall as SWG experienced.. needs to hold onto their development team.

SOE fired off the origional galaxies team (most of them anyways) and put a complete business and creative moron at the controls. He drove it into the ground trying to copy face by face WoW with a star wars title. Big mistake.

If the origional developers of SGW do an excellent job. Keep them and the game will continue to prosper.

Alot of people are starting to point fingers at LA for SWG's downfall. Stop. its still SOE's fault. They fired the staff, and they made the changes.

Lucas Arts approved 'changes' to SWG but didn't set a limit or watch on what SOE would do. They trusted SOE. What did SOE do? They fcked it up bad. They screwed around with the entire game and lost more than 3/4 their player base. Then tried to pump it up with hot hair and make it look special again. Didn't work.

Then the Emulators came out. They're still in development and Lucas Arts vs SOE are on opposite sides.

Lucas arts is watching the emulators and is positively interested. They want to see how far this takes off. SOE is dead-set against it. But they're also being ignorant about it. Claiming it wont get far off the ground and they're not worried. Lucas Arts is clapping their hands and watching. Theres a forum posts on the LA forums where a developer stated that the company was interested and was urging it to get completed so they could see the public reaction.

Everquest - 2000 - '02
    Anarchy Online - '01-'02
    Earth and Beyond - '02-'04
    Star Wars Galaxies - '03-'06('07)
    World of Warcraft - '04-'07
    Age of Conan - '08 - shelved.
    -Waiting on-
    Star Trek Online
    SW: The Old Republic

• poser002poser002 Member Posts: 19

Well i would say it is a 2 way road with swg and la.  La did have time limits they were called the movies.  They had stuff to do with teh movies and the game was a huge add.  Also LA gave the rights to a diffrent company to do swg but soe bought them out of u look it up, i belive the game was under diffrent company back in 98-99 something around there was long time ago when i did my checking up on it.

SWG had a diffrent path then what the game started out.  LA had theme's for the movies they wanted to push soe wanted to make money off the movies so that did not help.  SG might have same fate as swg because have read up a few things over the last 6 months one saying they want the game to take place around the shows.  Meaning the end of sg 4th season of sga and the new stargate show that is to start up with in the next 2-3 years if all the work gets worked out,  there is a 3rd show that is looking to be started up by the end of the 5th season of sga.   Then i have read they want to take the game back to season 5 of sg befor alantis and use that as a hgue expansion pack because so much content that would lose jumping 5 extra seasons down the raod.

This i see being major issue when the game goes live that pushing hte game to move to show timeline that can hurt its growth.  If they stay true to teh main idea that will be a major thing to keep the game alive and growning the min they change it will start to die.

Originally posted by Battlekruse

Sorry to break you moral, but movie-license MMORPGs ?. We have already seen the Star Wars Galaxies and the newest The Matrix Online MMORPG. Neither of these titles was a great financial success, probably due to their divergence from the original property.

um, or they're both run by SOE.

games would do well to just go the indie route vs going the soe route.  one day people will learn that if you do the same thing with the same results again and again -- that on the 1,325,675th time you do it, you'll still get the same result as the other 1,325,674 times that yielded the same result.

lucas arts didn't make the devs @ swg ignore glaring issues like 'bugged BH quests'.  swg devs are the cause and source of their own misfortune.   well, plus smedley's lack of genius.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by Eichenkatze

SGW, in order to avoid a deathly downfall as SWG experienced.. needs to hold onto their development team.

SOE fired off the origional galaxies team (most of them anyways) and put a complete business and creative moron at the controls. He drove it into the ground trying to copy face by face WoW with a star wars title. Big mistake.

If the origional developers of SGW do an excellent job. Keep them and the game will continue to prosper.

Alot of people are starting to point fingers at LA for SWG's downfall. Stop. its still SOE's fault. They fired the staff, and they made the changes.

Lucas Arts approved 'changes' to SWG but didn't set a limit or watch on what SOE would do. They trusted SOE. What did SOE do? They fcked it up bad. They screwed around with the entire game and lost more than 3/4 their player base. Then tried to pump it up with hot hair and make it look special again. Didn't work.

Then the Emulators came out. They're still in development and Lucas Arts vs SOE are on opposite sides.

Lucas arts is watching the emulators and is positively interested. They want to see how far this takes off. SOE is dead-set against it. But they're also being ignorant about it. Claiming it wont get far off the ground and they're not worried. Lucas Arts is clapping their hands and watching. Theres a forum posts on the LA forums where a developer stated that the company was interested and was urging it to get completed so they could see the public reaction.

the problem here is that people believe eq to be some super great game.

it never was.  when it first came out, a lot of us hoped it'd be everything UO wasn't.  many people were sorely disappointed.  my god, going from no zones to nothing but zoning (three zones to get from one part of dark elf city to another???)

THEN, it introduced huge timesinks --raiding-- to which weak-minded individuals gave their lives to, to the detriment of wives/husbands/families/jobs/etc.

i've tried everything soe has to offer and have found them all wanting, way moreso than the usual mediocrity which is praised as "wonderful" in the mmo world today.

yes, avoid soe, avoid soe'esque things, and stargate will be off to a strong start.   (and there's nothing in wow that was that original, pretty much all of it came from other games, heck, their big battleground - alterac valley - is a pretty blatant ripoff of 'defense of the ancients' a warcraft 3 ( i believe it's 3) player-made mod that was made/remade a bazillion times.  so copying an unoriginal game (from beta to their expansion) is not a good route to take either.

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    To avoid the errors of SWG .... simple Keep SOE out of the game.

If you like what you have keep it and listen to the players in what they feel is a good idea and a bad idea.

Do not change the whole game one day and not even hint about it (NGE anyone)

The game is meant to entertain not to frustrate the players.

I am looking forward to hearing more about the game and what ideas the devs have in mind .... Sounds like it could be good.