Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried a buddy key and after 10 minutes all I have to say is ...

thepatriotthepatriot Member UncommonPosts: 284
What a POS in every single way.  From the moment the music started and the character selection screen came up it ran like crap and I have a decent system.  I also felt like I had been transported back in time to EQ.  I've already played EQ and honestly, EQ ran 1000 times better and looks better.  I was expecting some pretty eye popping graphics but this has to be the worst looking MMO since Shadowbane.  What exactly is supposed to be 3rd generation in this game?  The budget maybe but sure as crap ain't anything else.  Well the good news I'm done on these forums because honestly, anyone who is willing to go thru the pain of trying to play this game is no one I'd want to communicate with. 

Comments

• LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680
    agree this game is a pos.. :D

Playing: Everthing
    Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
    I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

• PraxusPraxus Member Posts: 266
    Wow, looking at your posts in january,  you were criticizing the game and 'vanboys' left right and center; but you just actually tried the game now? WTF?

Aside from that, your 10 minutes of trying the game makes you a real credible authority. Oh wait, your criticisms long before even trying the game  already means you have no credibility.

However there's a nugget of goodness in your otherwise worthless post; and that's that you're leaving the forums.
  • treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by thepatriot

What a POS in every single way.  From the moment the music started and the character selection screen came up it ran like crap and I have a decent system.  I also felt like I had been transported back in time to EQ.  I've already played EQ and honestly, EQ ran 1000 times better and looks better.  I was expecting some pretty eye popping graphics but this has to be the worst looking MMO since Shadowbane.  What exactly is supposed to be 3rd generation in this game?  The budget maybe but sure as crap ain't anything else.  Well the good news I'm done on these forums because honestly, anyone who is willing to go thru the pain of trying to play this game is no one I'd want to communicate with. 
    In ten minutes you could have literally done next to nothing.  Next how bout you post your system specs, simply saying I have a good system and having a current system are two different things.  Third how much of the graphics could you have observed and what settings(this goes back to what your system is like).  As far as not wanting to communicate with anyone that plays the game and post here, good for you, your attitude is enough for me to realize that i have no interest in you posting here to begin with but whatever one less person talking out their ass just to bash the game.

Don't let the door hit ya on the ass,

Peace
  • Well, there actually are some decent graphics in this game.  I was able to snap off some pretty screen shots once I got out of the newbie starter area.  From what I noticed, it was scenery views that were the best because of the extreme available viewing distance.  Also, the clouds would move and the nighttime sky was very neat, so I will give some credit for this. 

However, there can be little doubt that the newbie areas are pretty much trash.  Even the cities that people claimed as beautiful seemed very subpar to me.  In the area where I was at, the structures looked very rickety.  I guess the graphics have been discussed in some detail, so there's no need to rehash all that, but in general even if the graphics engine was great, it seems like the developers were either very bad or went way too far in trying to make things look "old".  I hate to criticize artwork, because there's always the person who created it who feels bad and put a lot of effort into it, but I just can't find much beauty in a lot of this game.  I deliberately went out to explore when I beta'd this game, and although I didn't see much in the way of leveling (only got to 12), I did see at least a third of the available landmass available in the game (and this game is not even remotely as large as some people try to make you believe).  So it's not like I didn't give the environment a chance.

In the end, the bottom line is that you need to catch your players from the very start of the game.  Now, for most MMO players, nothing is much new anymore.  I played Vanguard, and said hey, the interface is like wow (of which I understand wow's is similiar to other predecessors).  Next, I played LOTRO, and said hey, the interface is like wow.  I played Vanguard and said hey, the quests and gameplay are like wow.  Then, I played LOTRO and said hey, the quests and gameplay are like wow.  See the point here?  Nothing is very much new anymore.  We've already done the quests, just in a different setting.

So if new games are in essence rehashes of existing content, shouldn't the basic content be created relatively quickly (and soundly, as it has been well developed over the course of a decade), with primary focus then on graphics, new features, and other innovations that set your MMO apart from the crowd?  I think it is in this area that Sigil failed miserably.  The game in its entirety may be great, but if you can't grasp your customers at the very beginning (since there are so many substitutes out there), I think that you are seriously hurting your chances of success.  In the end, Vanguard simply didn't grasp people from the very start, especially in regards to questing and graphics. 

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433
    Originally posted by Praxus

Wow, looking at your posts in january,  you were criticizing the game and 'vanboys' left right and center; but you just actually tried the game now? WTF?

Aside from that, your 10 minutes of trying the game makes you a real credible authority. Oh wait, your criticisms long before even trying the game  already means you have no credibility.

However there's a nugget of goodness in your otherwise worthless post; and that's that you're leaving the forums.

Actually, this guy was defending Vanguard and flaming me not long ago.

I would have deem him as a Vanboi, before reading this message.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• DeadJesterDeadJester Member Posts: 499

LoL 10 mins   what a troll
  • BullhypeBullhype Member Posts: 10
    If it brings the trolls out to bash, there must be something good in there. LOL
  • felorefelore Member Posts: 222
    i have a very low end system and it plays great =)   sempron 1.8 ghz
  • ntcrawlerntcrawler Member Posts: 329
    Bye
  • ShadrakShadrak Member Posts: 375
    well according to the inside cover of the game manual Keith Parkinson was the art director sadly he died mid development of the game.. maybe they just couldnt finish or implement what Keith started? Maybe the art development stopped when Keith passed?
  • thepatriotthepatriot Member UncommonPosts: 284

Actually I'm not a troll, I am a potential customer who had an extremely painful first 10 mins with the game.  This is a legitimate issue with any game.  Don't give me hardcore crap, if a game doesn't run it's like throwing away money.

I was determined to try and get this game to at least run so that I could judge it based on content.  I updated my video drivers.  Didn't work.  I ran the system test to see if my computer can run it.  I exceeded the minimum but didn't make the recommended on a few points.  Fine then, it should still run okay as I know someone else who has almost an identical system and it runs fine on his computer.  I hit the technical support message boards and found a reference to AA causing NPC name display issues which was one of the problems I was having.  I check to make sure AA is turned off in the game settings but it still won't run.  I then check my graphics card settings and sure enough, I had AA hardwired at 8x as well as some other option turned on.  I changed them both to Application Controlled and viola, the game ran and the graphics actually looked really good.  It runs and looks pretty good.  Now I can actually check out the game play.

That being said I'd like to appologize for calling the game a POS just based on the my technical problems.  However I do feel that such problems with just getting the game running will turn many away as it almost did to me.  I would hope that Sigil will work diligently to improve the ease of installing and deal with the apparent technical roadblocks to enjoying the game.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Actually I'm not a troll, I am a potential customer who had an extremely painful first 10 mins with the game.  This is a legitimate issue with any game.  Don't give me hardcore crap, if a game doesn't run it's like throwing away money.

I'm not going to call you a troll, not really my thing but I am curious.

Reading these posts yours:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1183351#1183351

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1183337#1183337

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1162402#1162402

All posts where you act as if you've played the game extensively enough to know certain spheres and certain gameplay elements of the game. But now, you're telling us that you've only just tried a 10 day buddy pass.

To be honest, I'm a little confused. While I do suspect can get a general idea of the game within 10 days, I don't see how someone could thoroughly play through everything as you claim to know.

Personally, I really don't care, you don't like the game, neither do I tbh but I really don't buy you even tried to game really which makes this whole thing moot.

• InvidiousInvidious Member CommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by Anofalye

Originally posted by Praxus

Actually, this guy was defending Vanguard and flaming me not long ago.

I would have deem him as a Vanboi, before reading this message.

Having just perused his past posts, gimme a break. He hurled the word "vanboy" at everyone else though.
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Originally posted by Shadrak

well according to the inside cover of the game manual Keith Parkinson was the art director sadly he died mid development of the game.. maybe they just couldnt finish or implement what Keith started? Maybe the art development stopped when Keith passed?

Damn never knew he died.

He did some art work for EQ1 and i think was even one of the founders of sigil

edit- hmm checking website he died well over 1 year ago too.

• KcissemKcissem Member Posts: 276

so basically since you only tried for 10 minutes you barely got past the character select/creation screen.  10 minutes does not justify an actual try at the game. so sorry better luck next time, maybe you will try for 20 minutes in the next new mmo and decide you actually like it to learn that after you put hundreds of hours that in those 20 minutes was just candy covering but in the middle was a POS.

VG may be rough or in your words a POS on the outside but in the middle is where it's candy is at. takes a few licks to get there.

• unixpanixunixpanix Member Posts: 15
    A few licks to get to what? Another level to more to a new zone to kill a spider with the name of  "Massive Spider" for 60 more hours? The Engine is crap, they took an amazing engine and decided to recode the entire thing in html with javascript for quests.
  • TithrielleTithrielle Member Posts: 547
    10 minutes? Glad you gave it a fair trial...
  • VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

Whatever you base your gaming criteria on, there is no denying that character creation and customization are important aspects to a RPG.  He is certainly justified in his decision even if it was only 10 minutes into the process.  We all have our lines set on what is acceptable in a game or not.  If he doesn't like the character creation process, then there is no point in continuing.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal