Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OHH GAWD MY LIFE IS COMPLEEETT... WarHAmmer 40k MMORPG ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701
    Originally posted by Astropuyo

Anyrate, the warhammer mmo previously displayed itself as 40k that much I know.
    I dont know about any previous 40k MMO... but the previous Warhammer Online game was warhammer FANTASY... i even have the E3 video still on my computer showing the old Fantasy world... and has a demon laughing at the end and stuff... it was Fantasy for sure...

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Originally posted by Draenor

Could of sworn they tried this already.. Oh well probally just getting old.
    I highly doubt we'll see it though, alas the fan base while strong ; probally won't make a whole lot of money out of this.
    How can I say this you must ask?
    We all love warhammer, and 40k years?! HELL yeah!
    However.. damper time...
    They've already tried to bs us with those warhammer online shots long ago with 40k rts shots. I remember them all too vividly.
    I highly doubt this will go far, however if it does?!
    I'm so there.
    I just don't think we'll see it past vapor. The fanbase isn't as large as Warhammer's original campaigns
    (And I'm a 40k fanboy to the next level, since 1993 baby!)
    They said in the interview that 40k has a larger playerbase now than Warhammer...and I don't remember a 40k MMO being in development prior to this...there was anther warhammer game, but not a 40k game.

To be honest, I don't feel like digging intot he stratic's archieves, but it was supposedly based on 40k.

Perhaps some archieve work is in order (if I cared deeply enough) but I am absolutely sure they talked of the future of warhammer and not that of the past series, they even used much of the RTS screenies.

Since when has 40k been popular? I can understand the "new" rts helping a tad but from all the tournies I ever saw I only saw the past series being played. That may of been a couple of years ago; but I highly doubt 40k is as popular as the original series simply based on the fact that I can't find a damn piece that isn't 10 years old in a card shop (and god knows I have, yeah I'm a nerd..but I admit to it)

I have buddies who play 40k and they can't find any models as well, while the fanbase on the net may appear strong I'm going to doubt that it is in the real world simply based on the supply of the items we seek out.

I was waiting and waiting on this game, but then I got it. It was dawn of war, i'll be damned.. same look and all.

There was a place near where I used to live called Hobbytown USA and they always had warhammer/40k models in stock...maybe I just lucked out with that.  I recommend using the store locator that is on the website, that's how I found out about hobbytown.

I like the idea about space marines being able to fall to Chaos...that opens up a whole new set for chapters and stuff, larger factions would be able to summon stuff like the blood thirster, and the demon lord...can you immagine watching from a first person perspective as a giant demon with an axe bigger than a man slices through 5 players at once?

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

I highly doubt we'll see it though, alas the fan base while strong ; probally won't make a whole lot of money out of this.
    However.. damper time...
    They've already tried to bs us with those warhammer online shots long ago with 40k rts shots. I remember them all too vividly.
    I'm so there.
    I just don't think we'll see it past vapor. The fanbase isn't as large as Warhammer's original campaigns
    They said in the interview that 40k has a larger playerbase now than Warhammer...and I don't remember a 40k MMO being in development prior to this...there was anther warhammer game, but not a 40k game.

To be honest, I don't feel like digging intot he stratic's archieves, but it was supposedly based on 40k.

Perhaps some archieve work is in order (if I cared deeply enough) but I am absolutely sure they talked of the future of warhammer and not that of the past series, they even used much of the RTS screenies.

Since when has 40k been popular? I can understand the "new" rts helping a tad but from all the tournies I ever saw I only saw the past series being played. That may of been a couple of years ago; but I highly doubt 40k is as popular as the original series simply based on the fact that I can't find a damn piece that isn't 10 years old in a card shop (and god knows I have, yeah I'm a nerd..but I admit to it)

I have buddies who play 40k and they can't find any models as well, while the fanbase on the net may appear strong I'm going to doubt that it is in the real world simply based on the supply of the items we seek out.

I was waiting and waiting on this game, but then I got it. It was dawn of war, i'll be damned.. same look and all.

There was a place near where I used to live called Hobbytown USA and they always had warhammer/40k models in stock...maybe I just lucked out with that.  I recommend using the store locator that is on the website, that's how I found out about hobbytown.

I like the idea about space marines being able to fall to Chaos...that opens up a whole new set for chapters and stuff, larger factions would be able to summon stuff like the blood thirster, and the demon lord...can you immagine watching from a first person perspective as a giant demon with an axe bigger than a man slices through 5 players at once?

You hella lucked out and I am jealous =D, no really...Every shop I've checked int he past "forever" only carries the old campaign stuff. Sucks but thats how it rolls here in the valley.

Anyrate if they are sticking to lore like I previously said, while neat; it would go against all that a marine would be, they cannot be corrupted as they do not think for them selves, they feel, feed, and fight for the emperor, nothing else matters to a marine.

It's a kin to talking about the one you truely love, if you speak passionately your eyes kinda well up (I'm talkin true love here)

A marine knows only love and devotion for the emperor and would sooner die than become chaos.

The few that have fallen have been those who could truely weild the powers a psyker could.

A marine is not that, they are essentially robots who love nothing but to fight, and to fight for the emperor.

Edit: It will take some digging on my part, but I will find the old stories on this "old" warhammer, and it clearly depicts a standard space marine firing down on a ork, I know it was a RTS shot but they were portraying the game to be in the era.

Edit 2: I spoke with a friend on this matter and he recalls the same screenies I do, while It may of not been 40k universe that's how they showed them as, I'm still looking into this as I actually want to know if I am just being crazy, I highly doubt I am but until I get back up or proof it's moot eh?

No worries my anti-social psychotic journalist skills are hard at work searching every single old news article I can. It's a pity many sites I used have since removed alot of the old Warhammer mmo stuff, so I am forced to search dead-sites or archieves of many years back.

Someone back me up on this (lol).

However.. damper time...
    I'm so there.

You hella lucked out and I am jealous =D, no really...Every shop I've checked int he past "forever" only carries the old campaign stuff. Sucks but thats how it rolls here in the valley.

Anyrate if they are sticking to lore like I previously said, while neat; it would go against all that a marine would be, they cannot be corrupted as they do not think for them selves, they feel, feed, and fight for the emperor, nothing else matters to a marine.

It's a kin to talking about the one you truely love, if you speak passionately your eyes kinda well up (I'm talkin true love here)

A marine knows only love and devotion for the emperor and would sooner die than become chaos.

The few that have fallen have been those who could truely weild the powers a psyker could.

A marine is not that, they are essentially robots who love nothing but to fight, and to fight for the emperor.

Edit: It will take some digging on my part, but I will find the old stories on this "old" warhammer, and it clearly depicts a standard space marine firing down on a ork, I know it was a RTS shot but they were portraying the game to be in the era.

Edit 2: I spoke with a friend on this matter and he recalls the same screenies I do, while It may of not been 40k universe that's how they showed them as, I'm still looking into this as I actually want to know if I am just being crazy, I highly doubt I am but until I get back up or proof it's moot eh?

No worries my anti-social psychotic journalist skills are hard at work searching every single old news article I can. It's a pity many sites I used have since removed alot of the old Warhammer mmo stuff, so I am forced to search dead-sites or archieves of many years back.

Yeah I wasn't aware that the Space Marines who fell were psyker quality marines...but how is their army so massive then?  Because it happened centuries ago in the lore, yet they still have huge armies...certainly such a large number of space marines couldn't have posessed psyker abilities that were going unused.  And they took Land Raiders and other Space Marine equipment with them, who drives that stuff if not the gruny chaos space marines?

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

However.. damper time...
    I'm so there.

Yeah I wasn't aware that the Space Marines who fell were psyker quality marines...but how is their army so massive then?  Because it happened centuries ago in the lore, yet they still have huge armies...certainly such a large number of space marines couldn't have posessed psyker abilities that were going unused.  And they took Land Raiders and other Space Marine equipment with them, who drives that stuff if not the gruny chaos space marines?

I have a correction: (in otherwords my ignorance pwnt me)

While speaking with a buddy (who is so much more hardcore) I have come to understand this.

There is a certain "illness" that breaks the link with the emperor.

Chaos can actually break the link using powerful psykers to take legions into their grasp. In the game mechanics this is next to impossible to do to an opposing army, however in lore  a powerful "Demon" is used to actually ravage the "Holy" light in the marines in order to control them.

I stand corrected.

Marines can be corrupt.

Edit: Man I love 40k! It's so damned deep, the workshop made a true masterpiece.

Great so evil points aren't really that far off...but I think that it would have to be ultimately up to the player whether or not they turned to Chaos...nobody would like to work on a character for a year only to have him fall to Chaos because of stuff that he could barely help...it has to be more of a choice than a job to keep your character on the side of good.

And stop putting the Emperor's holyness in quotation marks, the hand of the emperor guides all.

I have to!

I play chaos personally it's the evil in me ;).

That and you never know when some crazy guy will pop up with...

"You people call a game holy..blah blah blah"

I'd hate to offend a zealot.

Yeah it would suck to put all that time into making a bad ass marine and BAM your are a chaos.. "wait wtf?".

I'd hope it would be a factional tree, much like how wow works talens. Now that'd be near.

Then again I hope it doesn't work like that as I want this game to be completely original.

If it was available, I would play Tau, next choice would probably be space marines, followed by Chaos as a close third...In Dawn of War I was always best when playing as Chaos, until they made them totaly lame by taking away all abilities to destroy vehicles, then I became a Tau guy...but for the purposes of an MMO, I think it might be best to just stick with the Chaos and Space Marine factions, having too many armies would make the population too much in favor of the Space Marines, since they are by FAR the most popular army in the Warhammer 40k universe.

I'm not sure where you get your Lore from but ALL entities are suceptible to the evil of the Warp eye.. and the closer you get to the warp the stronger the evil force pulls... Psykers are ESPECIALLY attracted because in order for space/war ships to travel the vast universe they have to train their third eye to listen to the emperors song through the warp eye... Because of this constant interaction with the warp psykers can be turned faster/easier than others... but EVERY single person is susceptible to the warp.....

For example.. my good friend Horus the Warmaster says hi... The favorite son of the Emperor and the first Warmaster in that he was the first of the Emperor's sons to become leader of all the human forces (as in ALL) in the empire.... HORUS turned... and horus was only second in power and strength and intelligence to the Emperor himself... And Horus turned... And In turning mortally wounded is OWN father...

That being said... If HE could turn... ANYONE can turn..

ALSO I do know that most of the Chaos space marines in reference now are the same space marines that crossed sides 40 thousand years ago... since they are now immortal... But that doesn't mean that new people aren't able to turn to chaos as well...

Edit: More info from Wiki

Chaos represents the classic theme of Man vs. Himself, with the fantasy twist of giving these psychological struggles a physical form and influence. In both settings, Chaos is seen as a seductive force, capable of corrupting any who follow it; even the most strong-willed and goodly-inclined follower will gradually be corrupted and become another follower of Chaos. This corruption is not just spiritual, but also physical- followers of the Chaos Gods frequently find themselves being mutated by their masters.

What's your Wu Name?
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

No doubt on the space marines ruling the population.

But I think they may be able to rig up a system of alliances.

( I hate to say it but like how WoW did with the various races.)

The chaos/orks/Trynnids

Order....hmmm theres the problem I guess, maybe Order could have multiple houses like they do in the game/series.

Truthfully I am hoping this is a true thing because that would give me something to look forward to as WAR is already starting to seem fuzzy to me in terms of game play styl.

Originally posted by methane47

I'm not sure where you get your Lore from but ALL entities are suceptible to the evil of the Warp eye.. and the closer you get to the warp the stronger the evil force pulls... Psykers are ESPECIALLY attracted because in order for space/war ships to travel the vast universe they have to train their third eye to listen to the emperors song through the warp eye... Because of this constant interaction with the warp psykers can be turned faster/easier than others... but EVERY single person is susceptible to the warp.....

For example.. my good friend Horus the Warmaster says hi... The favorite son of the Emperor and the first Warmaster in that he was the first of the Emperor's sons to become leader of all the human forces (as in ALL) in the empire.... HORUS turned... and horus was only second in power and strength and intelligence to the Emperor himself... And Horus turned... And In turning mortally wounded is OWN father...

That being said... If HE could turn... ANYONE can turn..

Hello,

Kindly read my correction.

Thanks have a wonderfulday.

Hello,
    Kindly read my correction.
    Thanks have a wonderfulday.

sorry i didn't see that..

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

I think "order" would be Space Marines, and Imperial Guard.

Nobody else would really be willing to ally with eachtoher in the lore though, Chaos is pure concentrated evil, Orks are just morons who fight for the sake of fighting, Eldar are bent on spreading the "gift of the eldar" and trying to survive as a race, dark eldar are bent on killing things to appease their dark gods, Tau are obsessed with the "greater good" and the necrons just plain want to kill everything living.

There really isn't any basis for an alliance anywhere in there, even a supposed temporary one that would be seen in the game.  The only alliance in the game seems to be between the imperial guard and the space marines, since they both worship and fight for the emperor.  I think that it would be best to stick with two factions, people would complain, but in the end it would be better than having half the population be night elves, and the other half being spread throughout the other 7 races.

edit: I meant to say "having half the population be space marines"...I don't really think I need to tell you why I made that error lol

Methane,

Hehehe

Cheers mate.

Drae,

Chaos uses many "lesser" races to gain advantages of panic amongst the common wealth the most popular of recent was in Dawn of War.

Though I do agree my alliance theory is completely weak due to chaos being as chaos is.

I hadn't even thought of the Imperial Guard though, good thoughts on that.

I always forget them since they were not really used in the core game back when I was starting my journey to geekhood.

Hey Astro what do you think about the Eldar and Dark Eldar though?

I wonder if they would be playable at all... I mean.. the whole lore and everything behind those two groups is almost secretive... Greenskins too at an extent.... but how do you think they will incorporate the Eldar?

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

I think "order" would be Space Marines, and Imperial Guard.
    Nobody else would really be willing to ally with eachtoher in the lore though, Chaos is pure concentrated evil, Orks are just morons who fight for the sake of fighting, Eldar are bent on spreading the "gift of the eldar" and trying to survive as a race, dark eldar are bent on killing things to appease their dark gods, Tau are obsessed with the "greater good" and the necrons just plain want to kill everything living.
    There really isn't any basis for an alliance anywhere in there, even a supposed temporary one that would be seen in the game.  The only alliance in the game seems to be between the imperial guard and the space marines, since they both worship and fight for the emperor.  I think that it would be best to stick with two factions, people would complain, but in the end it would be better than having half the population be night elves, and the other half being spread throughout the other 7 races.

edit: I meant to say "having half the population be space marines"...I don't really think I need to tell you why I made that error lol
    Well if you think about it most of the time the Orks are always being used by Chaos.... So that could be a master/slave type alliance...

Then Space Marines/ Imperial Guard ofcourse ally..

Then the two Eldar Groups could come together in a tumultuous relationship (Very unlikely but hey..... why not?)

Then the Tau and Necrons are the wildcards... they can be the system pirates... just going from place to place attacking everyone (included each other)

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

I honestly think the Eldar in whole should not be allowed into play simply due their "neutral until chaos gets out of hand ways".

I've never really heard of the Eldar meeting chaos head on like the Empire does.

I could be wrong (as I was on the corruption)  though.

The dark Eldar is really something I know so little about I can't quite get deep into.

While the Eldar would be awsome (My favorite if I couldn't be a Marine House) I can't quite consider them yet, perhaps if I learned alot more of their lore and exactly how they worked I think I could probally figure a way into using them...

Actually as I write I think.. "Why not?"

The Eldar could enter the conflict due to the growth of the warp (as it seems in recent lore to be growwing in both power and size) so perhaps the Eldar actually join the fray in order to preserve the balance.

The dark Eldar as I understand use the warp right? Perhaps they meet in the conflict because they know the advanced tech/spirituality of the Eldar can actually turn the tide of the conflict like they did in the past.

Thats just my thoughts.

Whatcha think?

• COAgamerCOAgamer Member Posts: 190

Bah! Space Marines? Tau? Eldar? Heretics and Xenos!

Into the breach once more you dogs! -Commissar from DOW

Forward warriors of the Guard, and die like the heros you are! -Sargeant Kint

Give me a long-las, some frags and a tank and Ill show you what a human in the 40K can do. I hope they steal from SWG and let us buy and own tanks and planes. Can you say BANEBLADE?! I know I can!

Modjoe86- Gambling is a sin.
    Laserwolf- Only if you lose.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waiting for= PSU, WAR

Well don't get me wrong, I love fighting as an underdog, I played Horde exclusively for over a year, and generally stick to the factions with the lower populations...But for a game that I feel like should hinge on players taking control of areas, a major faction imbalance would be horrible to try to play with.

As for the eldar vs dark eldar thing...I think they could probably come up with some kind of twist in lore that had them temporarily allies, maybe the Dark Eldar put aside their "must kill to appease gods" ways for awhile in order to further the survival of the race on whatever particular planet or planet's the game covers.

Orks and Chaos make sense I guess...since as you said, Chaos continually use the Orks to do their dirty work.

Necrons would make a kick ass NPC faction though, I don't think that they would really work as player characters, because they are rediculously slow moving, and don't really have any character to them...but maybe they could sometimes appear during great battles and be that X factor that is always present.

Tau are interesting though, I think that they could possibly make a great addition to the game, I'm just worried about not enough people playing them...and who their allies would be, maybe the Tau learn to harness the primal nature of the tyranids, like the Terran tried to do with the zerg in Starcraft...it's a stretch, but I'm looking for allies here lol.

Originally posted by COAgamer

Bah! Space Marines? Tau? Eldar? Heretics and Xenos!
    Into the breach once more you dogs! -Commissar from DOW
    Forward warriors of the Guard, and die like the heros you are! -Sargeant Kint
    Give me a long-las, some frags and a tank and Ill show you what a human in the 40K can do. I hope they steal from SWG and let us buy and own tanks and planes. Can you say BANEBLADE?! I know I can!
    I'm just worried about everybody on the server going to battle in their Baneblade's, Land Raiders, and Hammerheads...it's something that needs to be avoided, heavy support should be extremely powerful, and only a few of each type should be present at a given battle, it shouldn't just turn into a battle of tanks and rocket launchers.

• Okay here's my class ideas for Space Marines, as I salivate and engage in conjecture.

First level, assuming you can maybe play as normal humans for inquisitors or other such tihngs as well, you start as a young normal human. About recruitment age, on a noobie starter zone planet. You can enlist in the IG, somehow join a roving inquisitor, or prove yourself to a Chaplain in the area to get accepted into the Space Marines.

The marines only have one main class, marine. They are flexible and depending on equipment  can do whatever they want. But they also have secondary classes.

At a certain point you get a secondary class, distinct but tied to the main one. There are several trees you can join. You can join the officer corps and move your way up through sergeants/captains/etc. This tree gets party buffs and other odd skills. You can join the Apothecarys and heal things in combat, as well as other less passifistic actions (nerve gas!). If you have psychic powers manifesting you join the librarians. You can also join the techmarines and get cybernetic abilities and piloting powers. The end result will be full fledged Chaplains, Force Commanders, Dreadnoughts (one of the big techmarine abilities).

Quests can be designed around the achetypes and well as general quests. If you become a techmarine you have to go to Mars and train into the mysteries, etc.

The problem with that is, lore wise, space marines are not regular men, they are clones of giant super humans, each chapter has what is called the "gene seed" and they protect it like it's a holy relic, because it pretty much is.

I think your idea is cool for the imperial guard, but it goes against the space marine lore, and what makes space marines, space marines.

Also, Dreadnaughts are not techmarines in giant armored suits, they are heroic space marines who fell in battle and have been placed inside of the dreadnaught in order to give them another chance to fight for the emperor...I realize that I said that dreadnaughts could be given to chapters to distribute to their members, but that wouldn't be directly against the lore, because it could be said that those who become dreadnaughts(as long as the chapter lets them) had fallen and were given another chance at battle from their chapters

I'm not trying to be super critical of your ideas, I just think it goes against the lore a little too much.

Originally posted by Sawtooth

Okay here's my class ideas for Space Marines, as I salivate and engage in conjecture.

First level, assuming you can maybe play as normal humans for inquisitors or other such tihngs as well, you start as a young normal human. About recruitment age, on a noobie starter zone planet. You can enlist in the IG, somehow join a roving inquisitor, or prove yourself to a Chaplain in the area to get accepted into the Space Marines.

The marines only have one main class, marine. They are flexible and depending on equipment  can do whatever they want. But they also have secondary classes.

At a certain point you get a secondary class, distinct but tied to the main one. There are several trees you can join. You can join the officer corps and move your way up through sergeants/captains/etc. This tree gets party buffs and other odd skills. You can join the Apothecarys and heal things in combat, as well as other less passifistic actions (nerve gas!). If you have psychic powers manifesting you join the librarians. You can also join the techmarines and get cybernetic abilities and piloting powers. The end result will be full fledged Chaplains, Force Commanders, Dreadnoughts (one of the big techmarine abilities).

Quests can be designed around the achetypes and well as general quests. If you become a techmarine you have to go to Mars and train into the mysteries, etc.

Please apply to the company making the game.

Simple yet awsome.

The problem with that is, lore wise, space marines are not regular men, they are clones of giant super humans, each chapter has what is called the "gene seed" and they protect it like it's a holy relic, because it pretty much is.
    I think your idea is cool for the imperial guard, but it goes against the space marine lore, and what makes space marines, space marines.
    Also, Dreadnaughts are not techmarines in giant armored suits, they are heroic space marines who fell in battle and have been placed inside of the dreadnaught in order to give them another chance to fight for the emperor...I realize that I said that dreadnaughts could be given to chapters to distribute to their members, but that wouldn't be directly against the lore, because it could be said that those who become dreadnaughts(as long as the chapter lets them) had fallen and were given another chance at battle from their chapters

I'm not trying to be super critical of your ideas, I just think it goes against the lore a little too much.

He is right on that, it's much like mechwarrior's clanner "Seeds".

2nd thread ever that I will subscribe to on purpose.

Okay so here is what I have for the game as far as classes go

Every faction has its basic foot soldier, no matter what it is, or which factions get put in, Space Marines-space marines, Orks-slugga boyz/shootah boyz, Tau-fire warriors, kroot, Tyranids-genestealers and termagant broods, Imperial Guard-Imperial guardsmen, Eldar-Eldar Guardians, Chaos Space Marine- Chaos space marines, Dark Eldar- Warriors

Other than these basic foot soldiers, there would be specialist options for each faction, every faction in 40k has both melee and ranged troops, and players could choose between the two...high ranked players would be able to bring heavier weapons to the battles, such as plasma rifles and upgraded weapons for the various factions...Players could also use their rank to bring things like rocket launchers to battle, but in doing so they forgoe their weapons that would be better for infantry combat...no all purpose weapons here...troops are specialized, just like in the real 40k universe...everyone has their place, and everyone can contribute in an important way.  The different heavy weapons gained with rank wouldn't be dominant on the battle field, it would just add a dimension to combat that players would have to account for, combat would be skill based, not stat based.  Different weapons would be suited for different things, you aren't going to kill a dreadnaught by zerging it with small arms fire, and you aren't going to be able to hit infantry with rocket launchers, unless you are right on top of them.

My idea still stands for elite/heavy support type stuff...things could get very interesting on the Imperial guard side of things, it would be intersting to see how such a defensively oriented faction would fight in a game like this, especially given that they rely so much on heavy armor.