Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game creating

Does anyone know a good tool or program to learn how to make games?

Comments

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461
    READ THIS!

If you don't have the attention span to read this then you'll never make a game that's wort the disc space it consumes.
  • mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747

LMAO this first poster is clueless obviously. First off, they want to make a game huh so just a insanely basic C++ game or what. So i guess your making a crappy 2-d game. Well if you want a Game with graphics and such i would also say to work with MAYA

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

It all depends if the engine is actually in existance.

If not as a novice ... good luck really.

If the engine is out there it is as easy as learning the scripting language the engine uses.

I suggest perhaps basic understanding say.. RPG maker and from there after you have hands on with switches and variables to going onto nwn, after all it;s as basic as it gets.

If you are looking for true learning, such as learning you'd get in school? Go to school.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586
    Free stuff:

Game Maker 6 - This has been around awhile some really interesting stuff has come out of the community supporting it.

RPG Maker 2000 - For the making of olde skool SNES style RPGs

RPG Toolkit - This also makes RPGs, but you have a lot more flexibility in what you can do. (real time, turn based, chunky sprites or pre-rendered graphics like Diablo)

Sauerbraten / Cube 2 - More of an FPS engine, but created for ease of use rather than lightening speed.

Quake 3 - I'm still amazed at all the things that people can do with this engine after all this time. There are several variations of the source and all kinds of resources on how to build your own stuff with this engine.

Stuff you pay for:

Torque Game Builder - 2D game maker with Torque engine network code built in.

Torque Game Engine - This is the engine that was originally used to make Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes 2. Very Powerful stuff and not for newbies. There's also the Torque Game engine Advanced (formerly Torque Shader Engine) that's closer to the graphics in Half-life 2 and Doom 3.

Blitz 3D and Blitz Max - This is about as easy as  you're gonna get for 3D game development. It ain't pretty, but it's excellent if you just want to experiment.

Dark Basic - Like Blitz 3D, but cheaper and slightly uglier. If you're just learning to make 3D games, this or Blitz 3D is your best bet.

Tools you will need.

Blender - This is a professional level 3D modeling program that's just as powerful as Maya, but free

Milkshape 3D - the default modeler of most modding communities. This works with most model formats and it's only $20

QuArK - The infamous Quak Army Knife. If you plan on building 3D levels, or you don't like the editor that came with the engine that your using, you're going to need this.

Code::Blocks - This is a programming IDE for MinGW. Translation: A C++ compiler for Windows that's free.

Dev C++ - Same as above, but more commonly used.

FreeBASIC - QBASIC with a gcc front end that will compile the code and allow it to run pretty close to it's C++ counterparts. Excellent choice for coding newbies. Did I mention that it can use OpenGL, OpenAL, and Direct X?

That's all that I can think of right off the top of my head. Hope this more along the lines of what you need. God knows that actual answers are always more valuable than the glaring negativity of assholes.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    What a nice guy =D
  • MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461
    Originally posted by mbblade

LMAO this first poster is clueless obviously. First off, they want to make a game huh so just a insanely basic C++ game or what. So i guess your making a crappy 2-d game. Well if you want a Game with graphics and such i would also say to work with MAYA
    God you're stupid. Maya is just a modeller. If one really wants to create games then they're bound to start with "crappy 2D games" because that's basically how you learn the necessary programming skills. Even if you end up in the industry (hahaha) as a modeller or an artist you should know at least something about the mechanics behind the magic.