Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OHH GAWD MY LIFE IS COMPLEEETT... WarHAmmer 40k MMORPG ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!

methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6166560.html?tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot3

THQ forging Warhammer 40K MMOG

Publisher extends deal with Games Workshop to include a massively multiplayer online title from Austin-based developer Vigil Games; Q&A inside.
By Andrew Park, GameSpot
Posted Feb 28, 2007 4:04 pm PT

Video game publisher THQ and tabletop game publisher Games Workshop have already enjoyed great success since 2004 with Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War, the popular real-time strategy game based on the gritty and brutal Warhammer 40,000 sci-fi universe. The game has given rise to two expansion packs, the most recent of which won GameSpot's award for Best Expansion Pack of 2006 and remains a popular title with strategy enthusiasts.

This is proof that there is a god.... AND ITS FROM THE MAKERS OF DAWN OF WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's your Wu Name?
Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
"Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
<i>ME<i>

Comments

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701
    Concept art i guess?

What's your Wu Name?
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• HocheteHochete Member CommonPosts: 1,210
    omg... OMG.. is this true?!
  • RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

"Hope is the first step on the road to disapointment" The Librarian. WH40K Dawn of War

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• I..I think I just had a guy moment. I need a smoke, and I don't smoke.

That picture is existing artwork from the tabletop game.

I knew my prayers to the Emperor would be rewarded!

With the purity of the flamer cleanse the mutant.

We shall cleanse.

With the shells of the bolter purge the alien.

We shall purge.

With the might of the Emperor kill the heretic.

We shall kill!
  • xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587
    I just broke out in sweat... my heart is pounding... i swear if you are lying I will KILL YOU! OMG i am so happy and on the verge of tears...

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

OH MY GAWD

seriously, I am extremely excited about this....YES YES YES

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

Originally posted by Razorback

"Hope is the first step on the road to disapointment" The Librarian. WH40K Dawn of War

touche....

"suffer not the Razorback to live"

-Grey Knights.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

As an avid Indianapolis Colts fan, I approve this image

Originally posted by methane47

Concept art i guess?

"Why have you tasked me with this, father? Why have you forsaken me? Why? It is too hard. It Is too much. Why did you leave me to do this on my own!?" -Horus the Warmaster

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

"No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear!" --Battle Cry of the Black Templars

I have three words: FOR THE EMPEROR!

Originally posted by xpyrofuryx

For the greater good!!

I actually prefer Tau to the other races, they are more my style...but if they aren't playable then my next choice will most definitely be the Space Marines, wouldn't it kick ass if players could make their own chapters in the Space Marine army?  They could have their own home planets and all sorts of history and lore behind them...omg i need to change my pants.

Originally posted by Draenor

For the greater good!!

I actually prefer Tau to the other races, they are more my style...but if they aren't playable then my next choice will most definitely be the Space Marines, wouldn't it kick ass if players could make their own chapters in the Space Marine army?  They could have their own home planets and all sorts of history and lore behind them...omg i need to change my pants.

Clans could be Space marine chapters...  :D

Hopefully the game will have frickin awesome clan support and bonuses to huge clans.... Like in order to make a chapter you need 20 people ...

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

For the greater good!!

Hopefully the game will have frickin awesome clan support and bonuses to huge clans.... Like in order to make a chapter you need 20 people ...And be able to create their own banners that players can carry into battles!!!  With customizable symbolism for their armor, like shoulder decals and color schemes

For the greater good!!

Hopefully the game will have frickin awesome clan support and bonuses to huge clans.... Like in order to make a chapter you need 20 people ...And be able to create their own banners that players can carry into battles!!!  With customizable symbolism for their armor, like shoulder decals and color schemes

omg... yep... i just peed a little....

I have typed like three different things that I would like to see from the game, each of which is rediculously ambitious and somewhat akin to planetside, I would love to see a planet's worth of "strategic points" that players could fight over for rewards and rank within their respective faction, rank could give awesome rewards that could be both asthetically cool as hell, and be helpful on the battlefield(can you say orbital bombardment?)

There are just so many possibilities here...everyone start posting your ideas!!

For the greater good!!

omg... yep... i just peed a little.... And customizable colors and themes... Like the lunar wolves have the wolf pelts on their backs... IT would be frickin awesome if clans could have a "thing" like that...

Like The Ultra MaWiins can all have enamel white armor and use enamel white nunchucks (2 of em)

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

• mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747

everything sounds better on paper but when it is actually displayed it becomes a big disappointment. I have read and got into the lore and stuff of other MMORPGs and when the game came out it did not live up to the expectations

Originally posted by mbblade

everything sounds better on paper but when it is actually displayed it becomes a big disappointment. I have read and got into the lore and stuff of other MMORPGs and when the game came out it did not live up to the expectations
    Shut Up!

Originally posted by mbblade

Shut Up!

QFT!!

So I was thinking about some rewards that players could get with rank, or maybe classes have different ranks that they get different stuff at.

The classes would be cool and they would fit in with the warhammer 40k world...the only problem would be limiting the number of players who would have access to things like dreadnaughts and land raiders...so what I would propose is that these heavy support items would be given out by individual chapters(guilds) and it what rewards the faction could give out would be dependant on the number of players in a chapter...IE 15 members yields one dreadnaught, and every additional 30 after that yields another dreadnaught(players would take command of the dreadnaught, and it would be a reward given out by the chapterleadership) at 50 members a chapter would gain access to a predator, and at 100 members the chapter would gain access to a land raider...this would eliminate the risk of having 20 land raiders at every battle, and no ground troops

In addition to the vehicles, leader type units would be given to players who have amassed a large number of points, points would be gained by fighting and killing enemies and would be calculated based on things like kill/death ratio, number of points captured, etc.  The number of leader players that could be playing on any server would depend on the number of players on that server...and leadership positions would not be permanent, a rank system would be in place so as to insure that the most active players got to be leaders.  While this might exclude the more "casual players" from being things like librarians or force commanders, it would make sure that a particular faction is never without leaders due to former leaders quitting the game.  In addition to powerful leaders like librarians and force commanders, individual groups could have seargants, the highest ranked player in a group would be the seargant(though not necessarily the group leader) a seargant would be privy to certain benefits to things like morale, players close to the seargant would be able to use those benefits to their advantage, making it advantageous for groups to move together, rather than doing the lone wolf thing.

other ideas? 

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Could of sworn they tried this already.. Oh well probally just getting old.

I highly doubt we'll see it though, alas the fan base while strong ; probally won't make a whole lot of money out of this.

How can I say this you must ask?

We all love warhammer, and 40k years?! HELL yeah!

However.. damper time...

They've already tried to bs us with those warhammer online shots long ago with 40k rts shots. I remember them all too vividly.

I highly doubt this will go far, however if it does?!

I'm so there.

I just don't think we'll see it past vapor. The fanbase isn't as large as Warhammer's original campaigns

(And I'm a 40k fanboy to the next level, since 1993 baby!)

Originally posted by Astropuyo

I highly doubt we'll see it though, alas the fan base while strong ; probally won't make a whole lot of money out of this.
    However.. damper time...
    They've already tried to bs us with those warhammer online shots long ago with 40k rts shots. I remember them all too vividly.
    I'm so there.
    I just don't think we'll see it past vapor. The fanbase isn't as large as Warhammer's original campaigns
    They said in the interview that 40k has a larger playerbase now than Warhammer...and I don't remember a 40k MMO being in development prior to this...there was anther warhammer game, but not a 40k game.

other ideas? 
    Yeah here's my AWESOME idea..

There are NO Chaos Space Marines at the start of the game...

Each Space marine has the chance of turning to chaos depending on his actions throughout the game... And at a certain point in the game when you've amassed enough evil points a mini game will start where you have to fight yourself... in maybe a dream world or while you are in a trans... and if you win you stay a space marine if you lose you become chaos and you can never return...

All players will have an evil count... and it will be possible to redeem those points at a cleric or something or rather through prayers and gifts to the emperor... but it wont be cheap....

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

Originally posted by Astropuyo

However.. damper time...
    I'm so there.
    They said in the interview that 40k has a larger playerbase now than Warhammer...and I don't remember a 40k MMO being in development prior to this...there was anther warhammer game, but not a 40k game.

To be honest, I don't feel like digging intot he stratic's archieves, but it was supposedly based on 40k.

Perhaps some archieve work is in order (if I cared deeply enough) but I am absolutely sure they talked of the future of warhammer and not that of the past series, they even used much of the RTS screenies.

Since when has 40k been popular? I can understand the "new" rts helping a tad but from all the tournies I ever saw I only saw the past series being played. That may of been a couple of years ago; but I highly doubt 40k is as popular as the original series simply based on the fact that I can't find a damn piece that isn't 10 years old in a card shop (and god knows I have, yeah I'm a nerd..but I admit to it)

I have buddies who play 40k and they can't find any models as well, while the fanbase on the net may appear strong I'm going to doubt that it is in the real world simply based on the supply of the items we seek out.

Anyrate, the warhammer mmo previously displayed itself as 40k that much I know.

I was waiting and waiting on this game, but then I got it. It was dawn of war, i'll be damned.. same look and all.

other ideas? 
    Yeah here's my AWESOME idea..

There are NO Chaos Space Marines at the start of the game...

Each Space marine has the chance of turning to chaos depending on his actions throughout the game... And at a certain point in the game when you've amassed enough evil points a mini game will start where you have to fight yourself... in maybe a dream world or while you are in a trans... and if you win you stay a space marine if you lose you become chaos and you can never return...

All players will have an evil count... and it will be possible to redeem those points at a cleric or something or rather through prayers and gifts to the emperor... but it wont be cheap....

Problem, much of the chaos was already interwoven as is from 1000's of years ago, while corruption is possible (though rare) without the emperor's forces, it was not even remotely common, many chaos were that of houses that were long established as chaos.

If we are sticking to lore.

The marines have no choice in what they do, they bend strictly to the emperor's will, so if a commanding officer said "Go kill that guy" the emperor could directly say "No" and the marine would listen, all this is due to the holy power of the empire as well as cybernetic links implanted in each members head.

The only houses able to break from the empire were ones that had conspired with chaos through only the most secret means.

/fanboy