Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP, Monster play. Details

2»

Comments

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077
    Originally posted by Demz2

You do realise mosnter play is not PVP?
    Lotr has no pvp what so ever, and to name mosnter play as pvp is darn right scandalous, and is misleading to many players.

Actually monster play does allow PVP... it's not pure PVP though.   But yes, a player in 'monster form' can attack and kill normal players in the monster adventure areas.  As a matter of fact monsters get the best 'experience' for advancement by killing players.

So yes it's a form of PVP.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• Irish003Irish003 Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Greek_Matt

If ever there was a world suited to a PvP-style of game, it's Tolkien's Middle Earth - not only is there the classic clash between Good vs Evil, but within these groups there are constant references throughout his lore to conflict and mistrust between the different races, and even the different kingdoms. Hell, that was the whole reason why the Fellowship was so remarkable to begin with - it was a group that would ordinarily be at each other's throats putting aside their differences for a common goal. To artificially restrict this tension and animosity to text RPing and a few cheap emotes is pathetic and unnecessary. In Tolkien's world, if a human wandered into the Elven forests he could reasonably expect to be killed out of hand, as would an Elf in a Dwarven stronghold etc etc. Forcing everyone to be ghey Hobbits holding hands in the Prancing Pony greatly diminishes what otherwise sounds like a great game with loads of potential.
    I hope this is what they are going to do. Make LoTR the best they can to attract as many people as possible, that means take some pointers from WOW, by that I mean creating a polished game. A game that runs smoothly and is buggless as possible, and sticks to the lore of that peroid. Let us all hope they succeed, because if they do they will be able to make the next game, which would be centered on the time period of The Silmarillion. They could do this game to meet the needs of the hardcore lore & RP camp and the hardcore PvP camp. During this time period even elves are killing their own kin. If done right it could be the best fantasy game ever. Add in the stuff that creates community like player housing, beefy crafting, and sea travel. Another thing and this goes for all mmo's, you can't please everyone everytime so stop trying, build a deep game for hardcore players and they will come. Tell me if you think The Silmarillion would make a better game, just wanted to hear what everyone thinks.

Rebel Col. Moshi Manawitz-Master Commando/Master Smuggler/Master Pilot-Pre NGE Vet.-Server:Chilistra-
    RIP April 04-Jan 06

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• RalsarRalsar Member UncommonPosts: 305
    The events in the Silmarillion offer many great possibilities for a game.  Alas Turbine doesn't have the rights to the Silmarillion.
  • thinkingbearthinkingbear Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Scy22

Just because you're too much of a pussy to handle such a system doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.....you're a fucking coward.
    You are a small person if you equate certain styles of gameplay with cowardice.  Not everyone likes the same kind of thing, how hard is that to understand?  And please explain how stomping weaker players in a computer game makes you some kind of macho he-man stud.  Now if you want to pick up an assault rifle and head to Iraq then maybe you would have some room to talk about cowardice, but barring that you are just some punk whiner hiding behind his keyboard.
  • Mars505Mars505 Member Posts: 623
    Originally posted by Ralsar

The events in the Silmarillion offer many great possibilities for a game.  Alas Turbine doesn't have the rights to the Silmarillion.
    i'm sure if they can get some of the dragons modeled and show the licensing they mean business , they very well could get it going. Keeping the non-cartoon look is the best decision they could make, cause I was looking at 2 other br titles for the summer and they both went with cartoon look. LotRO is a salvation for players who dislike the cartoon feels to mmo's, and monster play when given to the pvp minded players will be awsome, I'm hardcore pvper and once i get the the basic down I will be ripping humans left and right :D

who me ?

• KemenlithKemenlith Member Posts: 263

Yes,  I want a game that has the balls to actually implement a good PVP system along with a good overall game.  This could have very well been it.

Just because you're too much of a pussy to handle such a system doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.  You're the type of player I camp until you quit.  Because you dont have what it takes to survive in an environment where big brother isnt holding your hand.

You missed the part where it clearly,  in capitalized red letters said to keep walking.  This type of thing isnt for you.  Its for people who a shred of competitiveness.  Those of us who want human competition, as opposed to grinding on the predictable MOB all day long.

I'd eat your lunch of I could,  but from the looks of it, you'll never be in my league,  so we probably won't cross paths.

Player conflict wouldn't cut it in LOTR?  You spew this shit as if you have a clue.  This game would thrive in a system like this.  Just because the story ends with the good guys winning,  doesn't mean there couldnt be a system in which there are warring factions without a defined resolution.  If you want something so predictable,  just go watch the movies again.

That seems to be what you're after.  Someone telling you exactly what to do,  in order, so that the game ends perfectly as designed by the lore.  What the fuck is the point in that?  A MMO should be dynamic.  Players should make an impact on the game.  What you propose is some communistic take on how the game should be run in a linear fashion.

It's people like you who ruin what could be a great concept,  you're a fucking coward.
    Gee... and I'm the immature 16 year old? Get a grip man. If I wanted to play PvP I'ld play EVE Online or Counter Strike, Halo, or any FPS for that matter. I understand the red letter part, and all I can say is it would be inhabited by the angry peeps like you who just want to beat up a virtual representation of someone for pissing you off. I like LOTRO for the strengths it has, and I dislike it for its weaknesses. Yes, I agree that PvP could have been done better, but PvMP works. Now stop flaming those who like the game, trolling the LOTRO forums, and being a dick.

Using the word "fuck" in any way online really doesn't help keep your maturity level on par with your age. Not all games are going to be to your liking. If you want to PvP me then lets go duke it out in Battlefield 2142 or Halo CE.

Like I've repeatedly said before if you want to ply a more 'dynamic' MMO, then choose one that isn't based on a IP, as they usually already have endings that need to be conformed to. Ok? So if I were you, I'd watch out for WAR, AoC, and HJ (If it doesn't prove to be vaporware).

Oh, and how could I ruin the concept? I had nothing to do with the creation of the game.

On a final note, I'd suggest you don't personally attack others online. Not a good thing to do unless you can back it up, which is pretty hard to do through a computer screen.

So see you around, and I hope you'll act more mature.

Currently: Playing EVE Online
    Previous: FFXI, Dragonrealms, sad little stint in WOWland.
    Awaiting: Fallen Earth, Hero''s Journey, Tabula Rasa, Age of Conan.

• KemenlithKemenlith Member Posts: 263
    Originally posted by thinkingbear

Just because you're too much of a pussy to handle such a system doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.....you're a fucking coward.
    You are a small person if you equate certain styles of gameplay with cowardice.  Not everyone likes the same kind of thing, how hard is that to understand?  And please explain how stomping weaker players in a computer game makes you some kind of macho he-man stud.  Now if you want to pick up an assault rifle and head to Iraq then maybe you would have some room to talk about cowardice, but barring that you are just some punk whiner hiding behind his keyboard. Thanks for that backup. Hard to believe people would act like that.

Currently: Playing EVE Online
    Previous: FFXI, Dragonrealms, sad little stint in WOWland.
    Awaiting: Fallen Earth, Hero''s Journey, Tabula Rasa, Age of Conan.

• Irish003Irish003 Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Mars505

Originally posted by Ralsar

i'm sure if they can get some of the dragons modeled and show the licensing they mean business , they very well could get it going. Keeping the non-cartoon look is the best decision they could make, cause I was looking at 2 other br titles for the summer and they both went with cartoon look. LotRO is a salvation for players who dislike the cartoon feels to mmo's, and monster play when given to the pvp minded players will be awsome, I'm hardcore pvper and once i get the the basic down I will be ripping humans left and right :DI forgot to add that only certain areas should be instanced, and that should only be done  if absolutely necessary (ie...spawn camping, ect..). Make it as sandbox as possible and just set back and them come.

Rebel Col. Moshi Manawitz-Master Commando/Master Smuggler/Master Pilot-Pre NGE Vet.-Server:Chilistra-
    RIP April 04-Jan 06