Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why People Hate Vanguard

2»

Comments

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043
    Originally posted by Thamoris

I have figured out who hates Vanguard and why. The break down into categories on these forums....Trolls, WoW victims, Crtitical and cranky old men, Ego maniacs. SoE haters,

I've been thinking about this because Vanuard is truely a fine game and can not understand why some here are soooo vocal and passionate about their dislike for the game.
    Trolls ~ I don't have to talk much about these folks. They simply post whatever to create a reaction from people. They make zero effort to check facts and don't care if they are right or wrong.

Solution ~ Don't feed them. Learn to recognize the troll and do not respond. They leave for greener pastures.
    WoW victims ~ These people started playing mmo's a couple years ago and know only the WoW way of life...OR...have played mmo's for a long time BUT have been brainwashed by the WoW mind control device. I think some coming from WoW ..thinking they are hot stuff because they are high level in WoW..have all the uber gear..ect and get smaked down hard by the complexity of gameplay in Vanguard. The lack of hand holding in Vanguard combined with the fact that you actualy have to be a GOOD player to be successful consistantly is a rude awakening for these WoW victims. I feel for them..it's not their fault. Transition from one MMO to another can be harsh in any case. A transition from WoW to Vanguard is especially harsh. Take into consideration too..that they often run around in the game like they did in WoW cept they are now not uber lv 60 Hunter..the are noob lv 5 Ranger ..getting their butt kicked. The can't trash talk effectively. For many of the WoW players trying to transition to Vanguard..this is their first major mmo transition and difficult to handle. It's much like one leaving the first girl they loved and trying to love another. All they see is the faults of the new girl and only remember the best parts of their old girlfriend.

Solution ~ No fix for this..they simply have to play more mmo's to come to the understanding that WoW truely is a very easy, watered down mmo. My 7 yr old son can max level in WoW. Anyone that can read can max level in WoW.  It's a fun game..but not much of a challenge. Doesn't have to be...just the players need to realize that before going around like they some Vet mmo player.
    Critical Old Men ~ These are just your jadded gamers trying to recapture their glory years of EQ1 and UO. Much like an adult trying to recapture the joys and wonderment of youth in real life. They have not come to terms with the fact that they will never again recapture that first mmo addicted feeling where they want nothing more than to log into their happy place forever. Rushing home to get 20 minutes of gameplay during their lunch break to get their " fix ". This upsets them and with each mmo launch they think.." maybe this will be the one ' and are all pissed off when it's not. Resulting in terrible and unfair bashings on the boards here...mostly just to vent. They feed off eachother by responding to eachother...and thus..validating their points of view. I think Vangaurd had a large percentage of these " old timers " thinking this game would be THE ONE . well..let it go yall...it's never going to happen again for yall. Take these games at face value or be miserable for the rest of your life. Your choice. Your expectations are too high.
    Solution ~ Be gentle with these folks...the man no harm. Gently guide these folks ...respond softly to them and often they will settle down. Often their years of knowledge can be very helpful once ya break through the cranky barrier. Lower your expectations when starting in a new mmo..... TIP ! ...keep a pocket full of hard candy...they LOVE hard candy.
    Ego Maniacs ~ I see this from two angles. Your WoW egos...see WoW victims....and your " I have a killer rig " egos. Now ..I understand there are some issues with Vanguard  and it's performance no machine can overcome. I have also seen alot of egos smashed by people who THOUGHT they had a killer rig that crawled and begged for mercy at the hands of Vanguard.  I think many of these folks are younger...have more of a console type mentality. They think that with such a killer rig..bought only a year ago..should be able to play anything for years to come. That simply is not so. As a computer gamer for over 15 years...adult gamer for over 15 years...I have had to upgrade my cpu every 1-2 years depending on what games I wanted to play. This has been a fact and a sore point for cpu gamers since the beginning of cpu gaming. Is it fair ? no...is it right? no... will it change? no...so get used to it. A year from now you will be able to upgrade your cpu for under $200 well enough to play Vangaurd on its highest settings..combined with continual optimization of client and servers....with great 40+ fps..probably more.
    Solution ~ Do not attach your self worth to your rig. It's the same with cars..many do that with cars too. Do not buy top of the line gear..it will be half price 6 months from now anyways. It's the absolute worst investment of money you can make. Very few things in life lose their value faster than computer hardware....my exwife for example...she lost her value realy fast ..but thats another story for another time. So the solution is...get used to upgrading AND tweaking yur cpu or stfu......bottom line.
    SoE haters ~ Once and for all ! ....Lucas Arts messed up your precious SWG...NOT ...SoE !  Lucas Arts keeps very tight control over its licsenses...based on what I've read..that is my conclusion. Let It Go ......... SoE just wants to make money..they know they must have happy customers to do so. Usually this works in our favor...I think it will in Vanguard case...so give it a rest.
    So whats the point of this post ? ....to point out why so many people hate Vangurd. The fact that it can stirr so much controversy proves it is having major influence among the mmo community. 
    Tired of reading all the slams on Vanguard because it is really...a great game..that will only get greater.
    Summary: Hi, I'm a Vanboi. If you don't believe Vanguard is a good game, there's something wrong with YOU, NOT the game.

I just saved a everyone a long, boring, painful read.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• mechermecher Member Posts: 71

What's funny is that the OP thinks LA made the NGE when infact it was actually a SWG dev team member(who no longer works there hahaha) that came up with the idea and made the push to develop it. LA did not come up with it.

The reason why people who played SWG won't play another SOE game isn't the changes they made, its how they made them.

The CU came with no survey about what the players wanted, which was a combat balancing upgrade not a complete change in the combay system. Then after when the NGE came out most of the SWG didn't even know about it, there was talk on a CU patch about the next patch including some things for SQUAD LEADER, the same profession which cessed to exist 3 weeks later when the NGE came out. Not to mention a expansion pack came out almost the same day the NGE did.

The fact is that SOE does not care about it's consumers, smed can not run a company. They wanted SWG to as popular as WoW or close to it, now SWG is as popular as Hitler, popular for all the bad that it is.

Thank you, but I win as you can not dispute the facts.

Oh and cymdai, your a insecure geek. The fact is Vanguard is like every MMO out there. Oh look levels! Oh look epic loot! The only orignal MMO I've played was SWG, no levels, no epic loot you got in raids (sure there were uber loot but that was super rare as I didn't know it exist until I stopped playing after the CU and I played since patch 9.). Not to mention the economy was fully player based, the only thing you could really get from a NPC was drinks from the Canatinas.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    17GB of hard drive space for a bugy beta that SOE have got their hooks into, then what thirty quid and nearly ten a month? Sorry you have to be kidding!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Quite honestly, amongst my top 3 reasons I dissliked Vanguard and decided not to re-sub at the end of my 30 day trial, along with the rest of my guild:

People like you.

There's an air of superiority with you people and your post is one of the best examples of this. Don't worry, you're not alone though, there's TONS of it going around on this forum.

I actually found a great many things that were positive about Vanguard, moments I would have actually stayed and grown in the game and even though the Customer Service both from Sigil and SOE's end was horrible and the game riddled with issues what really took me off the middle of the fence was the aweful community.

Such a negative force you all are on such a grand scale, I mean look at yourself. "WoW Egos?" "WoW victims?". You don't even see it, do you? Or worse yet you think your that much better than everyone else BECAUSE of it.

/sigh

It's to much hypocrisy for one girl to take.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    I think OP was supposed to be taken in a humorous way... I think. Am I right?

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• SynexisSynexis Member Posts: 37

Critical Old Men ~ These are just your jadded gamers trying to recapture their glory years of EQ1 and UO. Much like an adult trying to recapture the joys and wonderment of youth in real life. They have not come to terms with the fact that they will never again recapture that first mmo addicted feeling where they want nothing more than to log into their happy place forever. Rushing home to get 20 minutes of gameplay during their lunch break to get their " fix ". This upsets them and with each mmo launch they think.." maybe this will be the one ' and are all pissed off when it's not. Resulting in terrible and unfair bashings on the boards here...mostly just to vent. They feed off eachother by responding to eachother...and thus..validating their points of view. I think Vangaurd had a large percentage of these " old timers " thinking this game would be THE ONE . well..let it go yall...it's never going to happen again for yall. Take these games at face value or be miserable for the rest of your life. Your choice. Your expectations are too high.
    I believe a lot of people that fit into this category felt that Vanguard (originally) was being designed specifically for them. I remember the Vanguard hype from years ago with people saying: "FINALLY! A game that will bring back "hardcore" EQ1 style gameplay!" These people begged for huge death penalties, slow leveling and big challenge. As you stated, OP, they felt that Vanguard was going to bring back that long, lost feeling they once had. When Vanguard didn't bring that feeling back (because no game ever will, as you said) they felt betrayed and then went on the offensive.

It has never been a secret that the "hardcore" crowd is a relatively small segment of the whole gamer industry. WoW proved that there are far more "casual" players out there than people who want to play 18 hours a day.

Furthermore, many of the people who use to play 8, 10, 12+ hours a day back in 1998 are now grown up and have jobs and families. Even if they wanted to play that much, they simply can't afford to anymore. The "new breed" of younger MMO players started with games like WoW and they like that style of game. Not 8 hour raid events 5 nights a week.

~Synexis

• earthhawkearthhawk Member Posts: 247

I have figured out who hates Vanguard and why. The break down into categories on these forums....Trolls, WoW victims, Crtitical and cranky old men, Ego maniacs. SoE haters,

I've been thinking about this because Vanuard is truely a fine game and can not understand why some here are soooo vocal and passionate about their dislike for the game.
    Trolls ~ I don't have to talk much about these folks. They simply post whatever to create a reaction from people. They make zero effort to check facts and don't care if they are right or wrong.

Solution ~ Don't feed them. Learn to recognize the troll and do not respond. They leave for greener pastures.
    WoW victims ~ These people started playing mmo's a couple years ago and know only the WoW way of life...OR...have played mmo's for a long time BUT have been brainwashed by the WoW mind control device. I think some coming from WoW ..thinking they are hot stuff because they are high level in WoW..have all the uber gear..ect and get smaked down hard by the complexity of gameplay in Vanguard. The lack of hand holding in Vanguard combined with the fact that you actualy have to be a GOOD player to be successful consistantly is a rude awakening for these WoW victims. I feel for them..it's not their fault. Transition from one MMO to another can be harsh in any case. A transition from WoW to Vanguard is especially harsh. Take into consideration too..that they often run around in the game like they did in WoW cept they are now not uber lv 60 Hunter..the are noob lv 5 Ranger ..getting their butt kicked. The can't trash talk effectively. For many of the WoW players trying to transition to Vanguard..this is their first major mmo transition and difficult to handle. It's much like one leaving the first girl they loved and trying to love another. All they see is the faults of the new girl and only remember the best parts of their old girlfriend.

Solution ~ No fix for this..they simply have to play more mmo's to come to the understanding that WoW truely is a very easy, watered down mmo. My 7 yr old son can max level in WoW. Anyone that can read can max level in WoW.  It's a fun game..but not much of a challenge. Doesn't have to be...just the players need to realize that before going around like they some Vet mmo player.
    Solution ~ Be gentle with these folks...the man no harm. Gently guide these folks ...respond softly to them and often they will settle down. Often their years of knowledge can be very helpful once ya break through the cranky barrier. Lower your expectations when starting in a new mmo..... TIP ! ...keep a pocket full of hard candy...they LOVE hard candy.
    Ego Maniacs ~ I see this from two angles. Your WoW egos...see WoW victims....and your " I have a killer rig " egos. Now ..I understand there are some issues with Vanguard  and it's performance no machine can overcome. I have also seen alot of egos smashed by people who THOUGHT they had a killer rig that crawled and begged for mercy at the hands of Vanguard.  I think many of these folks are younger...have more of a console type mentality. They think that with such a killer rig..bought only a year ago..should be able to play anything for years to come. That simply is not so. As a computer gamer for over 15 years...adult gamer for over 15 years...I have had to upgrade my cpu every 1-2 years depending on what games I wanted to play. This has been a fact and a sore point for cpu gamers since the beginning of cpu gaming. Is it fair ? no...is it right? no... will it change? no...so get used to it. A year from now you will be able to upgrade your cpu for under $200 well enough to play Vangaurd on its highest settings..combined with continual optimization of client and servers....with great 40+ fps..probably more.
    Solution ~ Do not attach your self worth to your rig. It's the same with cars..many do that with cars too. Do not buy top of the line gear..it will be half price 6 months from now anyways. It's the absolute worst investment of money you can make. Very few things in life lose their value faster than computer hardware....my exwife for example...she lost her value realy fast ..but thats another story for another time. So the solution is...get used to upgrading AND tweaking yur cpu or stfu......bottom line.
    SoE haters ~ Once and for all ! ....Lucas Arts messed up your precious SWG...NOT ...SoE !  Lucas Arts keeps very tight control over its licsenses...based on what I've read..that is my conclusion. Let It Go ......... SoE just wants to make money..they know they must have happy customers to do so. Usually this works in our favor...I think it will in Vanguard case...so give it a rest.
    So whats the point of this post ? ....to point out why so many people hate Vangurd. The fact that it can stirr so much controversy proves it is having major influence among the mmo community. 
    Tired of reading all the slams on Vanguard because it is really...a great game..that will only get greater.

I think the main reason why some people hate Vanguard can be summed up by this post; it seems to examplify the typical Vanguard player. This post does nothing but slam people who choose to have a different opinion, or choose not to play the game. Unfortuantely it's post like this, and the game itself, that confirms why I should not play this game. I applaud you sir, for doing what most poeple who play this game do: keep others from playing, and there by growing the game you love to rant and rave about. Bravo!