Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what do you think about "twinks"?

What is a twink? a twink is someone who maxes out a low lvl charcter to its maximum potential to use only in battles and duels so they have an advantage. (or so i have heard) lol

I was just wonderin what you guys/girls thought about these "twinks" just as some entertainment.

*??)XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX(??*
?.•??.•*??)?.•*?*•.?(??*•.??•.?
(?.•? (?.• MEAT_BAG0 •.?) ?•.?)
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Comments

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

actually, your definition of "twink" is incorrect.

A Twink is a relativly low level character that get geared up in top-level gear, ie stuff that "normal" characters would never have, because it is an Alt of some level 70 that has thousands of gold and doesn't mind sending 2-300 of that to his alt.

So the level 20 guys is fully geared in blue armor, each piece costing on AH 10-30 gold. Normal chars rarely have that kind of gold.

I honestly do not mind that much. Yes, it is "unfair" in the sense that a normal guy will not have the same gear, but is it so important? The guy has got the money somewhere and there isn't really much you can do to avoid him using that money. At least level-limited items make sure you do not see level 40s in super tier 4 epics....

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• meat_bag0meat_bag0 Member Posts: 94
    Ah, i see ok i was told thats what they were though so i went with it lol. im still somewhat new to WoW so i thought the person telling me knew what they were talkin about...but yeah, i suppose that what you said is a pretty good point. its true that anyone can spend their gold however they want as long as its in compliance with the rules of the game. but i still think its not very fair to newer players...i suppose either way its all how you look at it. yeah its great that there is some kind of level limit to armors and weapons cuz then new players would probably get owned more than usual...

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Actually Twinks in WOW are not that bad (and yes I have a few).. Go play a game like Anarchy Online and come back to me and talk about 'Twinks'.

When a level 20 character can SOLO a instance like say the Van Cleef Dungeon (havent played in a while if that is how you say it) then you have a problem.. Making a level 20 in AO that could solo a instance Dungeon was not really that hard, in WOW it is impossible.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• brokenneedlebrokenneedle Member Posts: 100
    Voted: Don't Mind.

It CAN be frustrating for sure.  I think the most brutal forms of it is lvl 19 rogues with fiery enchants - when that procs - BOOM dead.  But I never get too worked up in Battlegrounds.  I play em for fun.  And sure, losing sucks, but if you know how to play your character and do the best you can, there you go!  Plus I've seen plenty of crappy twinks get owned, and thats always more satisfying.

imageimage

• ZerocydeZerocyde Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Actually your all wrong. The battlegrounds are seperated by level. 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, ect. A twink is when someone levels a toon to the max level for a battleground level range, (19, 29, ect..) and equips it with the best gear for that level that exists in the game, no matter the cost. (twinks are general funded by their max leveled main.)

The problem with twinks is two-fold. Firstly, they make the battlegrounds COMPLEATLY unfair to anyone who isent a twink. Twinks in general are capable of dealing and taking up to 10 times the ammount of damage that a non-twink could. And secondly, prices for level 19, 29, ect. gear sky rockets. As an example, the other day I saw a level 19 sword on the AH for 25 gold, and a level 20 sword for 70 silver. Its rediculess.

Now, most people say, if you dont like losing to twinks in the bg, why not twink out your character? Because, normal people are trying to level their toon up. Why would we wanna spend like, hundreds of gold to buy the best level 19 gear when in an hour we will be level 20?

Twinks ruin battlegrounds for non-twinks, and create insane prices for low level gear.

"It is in your nature to do one thing correctly; Before me, you rightfully tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe." ~Francis Dolarhyde

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486
    I LOVE THEM! Unfortnalately I don't have the money to get one. Personally I love to play with a twink and pwn all others. It doesn't require that much skill because u usally don't have that many spells. Really funny imo.

• IpcryssIpcryss Member UncommonPosts: 169
    My favorite part of WoW was Battlegrounds.  I played Warsong Gulch the first day it went online and played it alot with several different characters.  I started playing a character in BG at lvl 15.  lvl 19 Twinks, named Twinkees, Twinkster, Stwink or some other alteration were always nasty and sometimes seemed unfair, especially if there were multiple of them on the other team.  However, the most rewarding matches were those where we were "outtwinked" and won anyway.  I loved having my warriors hamstring them again and again while we all swarmed them.  So, I think twinks are somewhat unfair, but not unbeatable.

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951
    They are not doing anything wrong. How can "maxing out" your char be wrong when it's all the game is about anyway? If you dont like it just go ahead and farm more!! :D

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by DuraheLL

They are not doing anything wrong. How can "maxing out" your char be wrong when it's all the game is about anyway? If you dont like it just go ahead and farm more!! :D
    Because someone playing their first character at  level 19 can't outfarm a level 70 no matter how hard they try! People pvp because it is fun. Endless farming would take the fun out of the event and would probably take you out of the level bracket you were pvping in anyway.

Personally I don't twink my characters, and normally do pretty well in battlegrounds. Twinks are definitely killable, especially when faced with a combination of a skilled opponent and/or concentrated fire.

It just seems sad to me - the fact that people feel they need to acquire unfair advantages in order to compete.

Also I'm surprised no-one has mentioned enchants. Most twinks come with heavily enchanted equipment which is normally only available to characters of much higher level e.g. the other day I pvp'd alongside a level 39 warrior with savagery on his weapon (requires level 60+ components and a level 60+ enchanter). Respect to him, he not only had twinked gear, but at least some skill, and consistently knocked me into second place on alliance killing blows.
  • NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    Twinks 19-39, sure, I understand; cheap..but I understand.

Twinks 49-59. No skill whatsoever, it's not even "zomg I killed that noob so fast" at this point it is just "wow I suck so much; i'm going to get dual crusader just to keep up with people who actually have some skill".

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Fear not!

Blizzard recently announced that they will be adding a Battlegrounds "Matching" System to group twinks with twinks and normal players with other normal players, to make the Battlegrounds more fair for new players, but not limit older players in their ability to twink. It won't be perfect, of course, but it should significantly improve your chances of enjoying your Battlegrounds matches.

Link to the report from Curse-Gaming.

In any case, the battleground matching system is currently still on target for release with the next major content patch. The system is intended to match players by gear and organization, and while it's not going to perfectly match all teams so that you'll never see a twink or premade again, it should work towards separating players fairly well.
    i think its a good idea to separate twinks from normal player although there should also be a BG that twinks can still play with normal players. i just think that newer players shouldnt be totally crushed by twinks. i think that if new players could play with other normal players then they could actually have a fair chance for some honor points. but i think its also good if a newer player could have a twink on their team so they could have someone to learn from whos well experianced in the whole scenario. it can really go both ways as far as the viewpoints. just depends on how you look at it i suppose and the circumstances.

• KiLLeRCoBRa0KiLLeRCoBRa0 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know how it's going to work, that new system but it's easy to avoid.

People could put on trash gear and join the Battlegrounds and then swap their gear in the battlegrounds.

Hope blizzard already thought of that.
    yeah good point...maybe they could check you bags also before you start? and if theres anything that is "twink" gear then they go to "twink" battleground? it might work that way...or maybe go by total honor points overall? even if you spent it it keeps track of them for you or somethin? and if you have had a lot then you go to a battleground that has higher honor points? im sure not as many people are going to start new characters every few days just to do battleground as a twink...and even if they did maybe it could add the bag check thing as well... i dont know...

Can't see a gear matching system working. As well as the equipment in bags issue, here are a couple of other problems:

i) Queue times for battlegrounds will increase. What if there are 4 twinks and 8 normal characters waiting to play WSG? No game can start. People will complain lots.

ii) Someone will take the time to figure out the scoring algorithm Blizzard is using and word will pass quickly round to other players. You will start seeing characters optimised to be as powerful as possible without being officially labelled as "twinks".

Remember - just because Blizzard says something is going to happen doesn't mean it actually will.
  • ferofaxferofax Member Posts: 82
    ...true. the only really feasible option is to basically expect a couple of twinks here and there, while no real solid matching system exists. however, when that good matching system becomes real, no one knows.

---------------------------------
    be a sweetheart, help me dominate the world...

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by Antipathy

Can't see a gear matching system working. As well as the equipment in bags issue, here are a couple of other problems:

i) Queue times for battlegrounds will increase. What if there are 4 twinks and 8 normal characters waiting to play WSG? No game can start. People will complain lots.

ii) Someone will take the time to figure out the scoring algorithm Blizzard is using and word will pass quickly round to other players. You will start seeing characters optimised to be as powerful as possible without being officially labelled as "twinks".

Remember - just because Blizzard says something is going to happen doesn't mean it actually will.

Ifind the complete opposition of your last sentence and your signature FF character to be very ironic.

1) queue times? what queue times? with the battlegroups set up, i have not been in a queue for more than couple seconds.. so it might improve to a few seconds... few minutes? still, it is a honest price to pay for a as fair setup as you can get, i think

2) might be. But again, this is a complete pessimistic view of the thing, weren't you supposed to be the optimistic dude here? have some faith and let's check this out when it actually get released instead of spelling doom and gloom before it is even implemented.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

Ifind the complete opposition of your last sentence and your signature FF character to be very ironic.
    1) queue times? what queue times? with the battlegroups set up, i have not been in a queue for more than couple seconds.. so it might improve to a few seconds... few minutes? still, it is a honest price to pay for a as fair setup as you can get, i think
    2) might be. But again, this is a complete pessimistic view of the thing, weren't you supposed to be the optimistic dude here? have some faith and let's check this out when it actually get released instead of spelling doom and gloom before it is even implemented.

Heck - in real life I'm actually quite cynical. It's just how I cam out on the FF poll. There may be some truth to it though. People say cynics are nothing but disappointed romantics.

1) Queue times depend alot on level range, battle group and playing time. I've been playing 30-39 AB recently and 10 minute waits are not unusual mid-afternoon on a weekday.  Removing twinks may make these queue times significantly longer.

2) I was speaking about things like heroic classes etc which were promised at release. Blizzards marketing department tends to run a little ahead of the development folks.
  • nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

In any case, the battleground matching system is currently still on target for release with the next major content patch. The system is intended to match players by gear and organization, and while it's not going to perfectly match all teams so that you'll never see a twink or premade again, it should work towards separating players fairly well.

Though I no longer play the game, I do hope this comes reality. Twinks completely ruin low level bgs for new players.

• JaskipJaskip Member Posts: 31
    I do not see twinks as a problem in WoW at all. It is not very hard to level up and there is no point in doing battlegrounds at a lower level anyway. They do not affect many people and certainly not for long periods of time, it is just not a big deal at all.
  • I think they are a symptom of inherent design flaws.
  • desnowdesnow Member Posts: 390
    Originally posted by gestalt11

I think they are a symptom of inherent design flaws.

• LordKarlLordKarl Member UncommonPosts: 14

I think Twinks are a nice way to pass the time between raids! I played a lvl 60 hunter for a year but never had fun like when i play my lvl 19 twink hunter in pvp! It's fun and simple, require a bit of patience to get all the best gears and enchants but then its only fun! The players that think it's unfair are those that are doing pvp along their lvling. All Twink pvpers would accord to say that those people are just complaining of beiing raped and owned by us twink!!

Tirepois

-Kael'Thas- TWINK hunter

• golthangolthan Member Posts: 24
    cant stand alts so i dont know!