Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Couple questions from an old EQ player about to try the trial

Hello, played EQ way back in the day, tried some other mmorpgs, going to try the sequel since I've never played it. I have a couple quirky questions.

1. Is there a good FAQ/guide website? I'm having trouble finding good info online on all the classes.

2. Humans. I heard that after the start race choice does not matter besides aesthetics. Most games seem to give humans bad abilities, even EQ I made them unremarkable (with bucket helmets). Infra/ultra vision was also a big deal in the original, am I going to have that irritating sight problem?

3. My three big classes were enchanter/shadow knight/monk. I hear that all classes can solo well in this game. I know there are two enchanter type classes now, can anyone give me the lowdown on what they're like? Can you still charm things, and is it long term or do I have to incessantly recharm or nuke the 'pet' to stay alive?

4. Do monks have to keep their weight under a limit again?

5. Are there RP servers? I like RP servers. If there are, can you recommend one or are they all pretty good?

Comments

• CeohaiCeohai Member Posts: 305
    Originally posted by Sawtooth

Hello, played EQ way back in the day, tried some other mmorpgs, going to try the sequel since I've never played it. I have a couple quirky questions.

1. Is there a good FAQ/guide website? I'm having trouble finding good info online on all the classes.

eq2.allakhazam.com  is about as good as you're gonna get for EQ2 I think, not a lot of good fansites out there.

2. Humans. I heard that after the start race choice does not matter besides aesthetics. Most games seem to give humans bad abilities, even EQ I made them unremarkable (with bucket helmets). Infra/ultra vision was also a big deal in the original, am I going to have that irritating sight problem?

Races matter, they determine starting stats as well as racial abilities (though at this point only fae get anything outstanding). Infra/ultra vision are not a big deal, they're both in the game but they're both rarely used(unless you want them on)

3. My three big classes were enchanter/shadow knight/monk. I hear that all classes can solo well in this game. I know there are two enchanter type classes now, can anyone give me the lowdown on what they're like? Can you still charm things, and is it long term or do I have to incessantly recharm or nuke the 'pet' to stay alive?

Shadow Knights don't solo all that well (when it comes to higher end heroic content at least). The two enchanters are coercer and illusionist, coercers charm pets while illusionists have their own created pet. Their attacks/buffs/debuffs are somewhat similar for the most part, with some major diffrences (e.g. coercers buff DPS while illusionists buff atk speed). Charmed pets are defiantly useful, with each charmed pet lasting a set ammount of time (max of 8-30 mins depending on the tier of the spell) and the charmed pets have a chance of breaking charm from time to time (upgraded spells = less chance of breaking). Illusionist pets are just like summoner pets, and stay as long as you want them to.

I don't think monks have any sort of extra weight restrictions on them.

5. Are there RP servers? I like RP servers. If there are, can you recommend one or are they all pretty good?

Yes there are some RP servers, I would recommend Antonica Bayle because I think it actualy has a fairly decent pop. Venekor would be your only choice if you wanted a PVP RP server.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Originally posted by Sawtooth

Heres a link with all the class spells and abilities

http://www.eq2ref.com/abilities/

Doesnt matter one bit what race you pick.  Sure stats differ initially but with the right gear later on a gnome could potentially have more strength than an Ogre.

Not sure on the chanter types, the above response answered it well.

Nope, the only restriction as to weight allowance, like everyone else is based on Strength

Like the above answer, Antonia Bayle is probably your best choice