Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Profession for a Druid

XeratixXeratix Member Posts: 130
Whats the best Profession for a druid?

Professions and Secondary skills.........?

Comments

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

It's a really tricky question because there really is no ONE better profession for any class. It really comes down to what you want from said profession, do you want a money maker, do you want something more utilitarian or do you want cool toys, maybe something that will help you guild over time?

If you want straight cash cow (don't get angry Taurens) then two harvesting profs will do you will. Herbalism/Skinning, Mining/Skinning are good examples as Herb and Mining have a search that will pop nodes on your overhead map and skinning you just take off of whatever you kill. You then take everything you get and sell on the open market or AH. I made a ton of gold this way and you'll even pick up contract from players looking to buy certain amounts of specific resources, heavy/thick leather, green scale and the like.

Utitliy, as a druid you wear leather so Skining and Leatherworking is an option, just keep in mind that you most likely wont wear your own creations very often as most of the time you'll pick up armor that's just as good if not better.

Herb/Alchemy is a great option as potions can be a powerful tool in both PVE and PVP, you can also sell them on the AH also but admitedly, you wont make TONS of coin right away doing this. Later on though, Healing and Mana potions sell for some 3 to 5 gold on good servers and even more on bad ones.

Hope that helps as a first step to professions.

• Pipboy2000Pipboy2000 Member Posts: 44

Yeah im going to pretty much agree with what shae said here but you could also do - ( if you have the expansion i assume you do, i assume everyone that plays wow now pretty much would )

Mining / Jewelcrafting - You can create nice rings/ trinkets/ necks that at low levels pretty much till abot 20 for rings 30 for necks and 40-50 for trinkets would be empty otherwise you can fill up levells sooner and really help yourself out. Its also offers alot of money in that you can sell them, that is unless your server is flooded with jewelery, which it might be.  It also offers unique helms specifically catered to your class that will benefit you, you can look into that aswell. Then ofcourse later on in the 50-70's you'll be able to cut gems for people and make nice ones.

Mining/ Engineering - This adds even more versatility to the druid ( as if you even need that hehehe). With this you can make bombs, potions, trinkets. The only issue people seems to run into with this is the fact that ( when i was playing you couln't use poyions, bomb/ trinkets in forms) they may have patched this but i dont think they did.  Anyways they are still every useful when popping out to use a heal say a you have 500 hp and your bear and mage is casting up a pyroblast at your face, you pop out hit your fire reflecter own the mages face then go right back to healing your pretty little or wait maybe big furry self i dunno.  In the later areas of the game 70 or so with mining / enigeering you have the largest mote acess which means good farming. You can mine motes from gas clouds with engineering tools in the outlands and then ofcourse you have all the stuff from mining.

Hope  i helped

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Good call Pip,

I never think about Mining/Eng, mostly because its' never really intersted me much, but I've had friends say it's a hoot to play around with and I've always liked when someone pops out a repair bot during a raid, immensely usefull.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    One thing that makes a huge difference, imo, is whether this is the first character you take up on a given server.  My first character on a server is always a skinner/ miner or skinner/ herbalist.  This is especially important if it's your first serious character ever.  

Why?  If you go with a pure gatherer, you will be able to keep yourself geared with the best greens for your level that the AH has to offer, easilly afford to buy potions, food, and water, and even on a server with a sluggish economy you will have little trouble getting the 100 gold you need for your mount together by 40. 

Production professions can make that kind of gold, but it takes several things a new player won't usually have: 1. access to resources in and recipes in zones that are way over your level, and a good idea of where they can be found, 2. Experience with the auction house and your particular server's economy, 3. enough gold to quickly grind up to the few recipes that can make money, and a good idea of which recipes those are (see 2).  In other words, production proffession tends to be much easier and more rewarding if you have a higher level character with lot's of gold (and also ideally a related gathering proffession) already. 

That said, if this druid is the alt of a level 60 that your just playing up for giggles in your spare time, pretty much any porffession will be fun and rewarding.  Hybrids are funny that way.  I wouldn't bother with blacksmithing or tailoring, but as mentioned above skinner/ Leatherwoker, herbalist/ alchemist, miner/ jewelere, and miner/ engineer would all be fun and usefull.

PS: In terms of secondary skills, I would have to say fishing and cooking are really solid for a druid.  Fishing helps you bring in a bit of extra money, as well as a green item once in a blue moon, and it also helps you level cooking.  Cooking allows you to make your own food (and drink to a lessor extent), pluss you can very easily make "super food" that gives you various bunuses such as extra Stamina or Mana regen.  I'm not sure how much use a druid would get out of first aid (since you can, you know, heal yourslef), pluss you'd be giving up a lot of gold you would get from selling the cloth on the AH. 

My advice would be to level up fishing first and then cook all the fish (you'll have to look around to see who sells the rceipes to cook low level fish....it's usually a fishing supplier). Voila! you are a skilled chef and skilled fisherman and have spent nary a dime.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Hi,

Overall for your first character, dual gathering professions are a good choice. If you are a Horde druid then you will be a Tauren, which has a racial bonus for herbalism. Hence I would recommend herbalist/skinner. Other good choices are skinner/miner herbalist/alchemist and skinner/leatherworker.

Here is a more detailed description of some of the more common choices:

Dual gathering - Skinner/herbalist, Skinner/miner or miner/herbalist. These are the best money makers. As a skinner/herbalist, my priest  had 400gp at level 40 when most people were struggling to acquire the funds to buy a mount.

Skinner/leatherworker - A druid will be able to make his own armour. However most of the armour you use will be drops from monsters and/or quest rewards. Most leatherworkers will only wear roughly two items they have made themselves.

Skinner/tailor - these two work well together. They allow the money to be generated from skinning and provide all the material needed to make bags, which are a steady seller.

Tailor/enchanter - enchanting is one of the most in-demand professions at high levels and can make huge amounts of money. However it costs alot of money and effort to raise the skill. Tailoring makes this slightly easier by providing a ready source of green items that can be disenchanted in order to make enchanting components. Due to the cost of increasing the skill, I would not recommend this for a first character.

Herbalist/alchemist - this is a steady money maker. Some potions, such as free action and haste, are valuable to high level PvPers and will sell for good prices, despite being relatively easy to make.

Miner/blacksmith - This is not recommended for a druid, since you will not be able to use most of the items created.

Miner/Jeweller - May be good, although I don't have alot of experience of the profession. Due to the number of people currently levelling this choice, many jewels are very expensive on the auction house. Hence this may not be a good choice for  a new player.

Miner/Engineer - This was the profession of choice for anyone serious about PvP. However it doesn't make alot of money, so I'd suggest  starting with skinning/mining until you have enough money for your mount, then switching. You should also be warned that this profession was seriously nerfed by the Burning Crusade expansion (very few new gadgets and alot of existing gadgets will not work on high end opponents). Blizzard has acknowledged the problem, and has promised the profession will be revamped soon. Until then, engineering is probably the weakest profession at high levels.

Trader - not strictly a profession, but a good money-maker nonetheless. Take a look at the auction house. Work out which items have a steady demand and buy low/sell high. Travel to vendors in far off places, buy limited availability recipes and then place them on the Auction House at a large profit.
  • laffncrylaffncry Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Xeratix

Whats the best Profession for a druid?

Professions and Secondary skills.........?
    you can try any of this..

Skinning and Leatherworking - Druids can create Leather armor for themselves or sell it to others.

Enchanting - Druids can enchant their equipment to make themselves more powerful.

Herbalism and Alchemy - Druids can create buff potions or healing potions.