Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I made a priest and now I hear nerf....

I made what I intend to be a .shadow Priest, main character and only been at this game about two weeks. I went to the Priest forums and they are *screaming* about some bad nerfs. Is this going to affect me and how badly, I don't understand any of the jargon and numbers they're talking about.

Comments

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

World of Warcraft PTR Patch 2.0.10

Priests
    • The base healing percent from "Vampiric Embrace" has been reduced to 15% from 20%. In addition, this ability can no longer get critical heals.
    • "Silent Resolve" no longer reduces threat generated by Shadow spells.
    • Prayer of Mending now has a 20 second cooldown.
    • If a targeted enemy has a magic effect granting immunity to spell or physical damage, “Mass Dispel” will now always pick that effect as its target.
    Full patch notes: www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/test-realm-patchnotes.html

I think they are screaming about is the first point "Vampiric Embrace", this is spell used by shadow spec priests (DPS spec), with this whenever the priest does damage to the target he heals the raid for a % of that damage. 

A shadow priest is a DPS spec a holy priest is a Healing spec, currently a shadow priest can solo heal a good group through a 5 man dungeon almost souly using the "
    Vampiric Embrace" spell, I dont think this was the intention blizzard had so they have reduced the healing effect from the "Vampiric Embrace" spell.

Prayer of Mending had no cooldown previously It now can only be be used every 20 seconds.

You'll need to get used to this, every patch some come out and start to cry NERF (some refuse to adapt), also in this patch Warriors got a BUFF.  In the future priests will get a BUFF and so it goes on.. the endless Balance issue.  dont worry about it.

• spikenogspikenog Member Posts: 283
    Yes, priests (as well as other classes) are getting a "nerf".  While it does affect you, since you are a priest, I do not think you need to worry.  MMOs always have nerfs...they are a constant reworking of game mechanics to make things "balanced".  Whenever any class gets a nerf...however small or great, the WoW forums explode into a whinefest that can easily discourage a new player, such as yourself.

Two facts...

1. All MMOs have nerfs, and they happen often.

2. You've chosen the role of  a healer, healers are always needed to defeat instances and large group quests.  They are one of the two more important classes, with the other being "tanks".  You will often see..."Looking for one more, need healer".

Don't get discouraged.  If you like the priest, continue with it.  If you want to try something else...go for it.  The WoW forums have moadwe more than person quit their class, people get taken in by all the negative things.  Just remember...Nerfs are a promised and constant part of all MMOs...and which ever class you decide...it will probably be nerfed so how, some way, somewhere down the line.
  • AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    If you go on the official forums for almost any of the classes you will find constant complaints about nerfs and class balance. Except warlocks. For some reason warlocks seem to be happy with the way things are...
  • GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486
    Originally posted by Antipathy

If you go on the official forums for almost any of the classes you will find constant complaints about nerfs and class balance. Except warlocks. For some reason warlocks seem to be happy with the way things are...
    Well, if ur the only class that hasn't got a nerf since the start of the game I wouldn't whine. Warlocks was one of the most crappy classes in the start of WoW, but since it's boost in, patch 1.11 or something, they have been one of the most overboosted classes. Warlocks are one of the hardest classes, which means that many give up warlocks fast. Does who still play it tho are more mature and they can play their class and therefore pwn all others.

• RuthgarRuthgar Member Posts: 730
    Blizzard has ignored Priests for a long time. They aren't the best healers in the game.

I have a level 70 Priest and I don't play him any more. I'm sick of the lack respect that Blizzard has given Priests.
  • SyndicateXSyndicateX Member Posts: 20

I wouldn't worry about the nerf for levelling a priest, it won't effect you till you're in your 60s anyway I don't think, when you're starting to notice some difference in your damage :)

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466
    Continue with the Priest.  When the patch hits test how it effects your soloing.  I think you'd be surprised how little it matters considering that most of the changes only hurt raiding shadow priests and pvp holy/disc priests.  The changes aren't going to really change your leveling abilties considering the amount Vamp E heals is pretty nice regardless of 5% being sheared off the top.

I play a 70 shadow priest.  I specced shadoweave tailoring for my dmg.  I am worried, but a lot of the PTR stuff may be changed before launch.  If all else fails you could always level shadow and respec heal for end game.
  • Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902
    I think its funny that when I stopped playing back in dec. 2005, locks and hunters were the two worst classes for PvP.  however, they had always both been my favorite and now I feel like a bandwagon jumper for playing them

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • Run for the hills!
  • laffncrylaffncry Member Posts: 92
    well...it would affect you in one way or another. that's just normal with mmo games coz' they try to balance the game tough it isn't always in favor with players esp. with the players whose char is getting nerfed.