Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jesus Family Tomb Believed Found

outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Hmmmm

What do you think?

New scientific evidence, including DNA analysis conducted at one of the world's foremost molecular genetics laboratories, as well as studies by leading scholars, suggests a 2,000-year-old Jerusalem tomb could have once held the remains of Jesus of Nazareth and his family.

The findings also suggest that Jesus and Mary Magdalene might have produced a son named Judah.

LINK

Additional LINK.......very interesting

Comments

• Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855

I think religion was invented because there wasn't any technology to cure people or keep us safe back then. People would prey and hope for a higher power to keep them safe and the Bible was just a story wirrten by various people and made up lol. Have we seen any evidence of a "god" no.... is there any evidence of any religion? no.... There might have been a Jesus who helped people and the bible was based on but the rest was made up... Faith? Thats just a way to control people into believing but never seeing any proof lol.

In a way Religion was good for us back then because it kept everyone calm and much happier + boosted morale and things liek that. However now we have Technology to live by and in a way that's like our new religon, if we can cure it why do we need to prey for a God that'll do nothing? Even if there was a god why would god save people anyways? We have free will and godn't do anything because it would cause unbalance lol.

Anyways all religion has ever done is caused War, it's bad for us and goverment laws should throw various religions to stopping making decisions. A goverment should set the rules for everyone and not be influenced by religion.

Like is you have a bad mental illness or something and living is too much pain and you want a leathal injection from the hospital, then you should be allowed to have it done. Religion shouldn't say "we say you cant so its against the law" stupid IMO.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by Veiled_light

I think religion was invented because there wasn't any technology to cure people or keep us safe back then. People would prey and hope for a higher power to keep them safe and the Bible was just a story wirrten by various people and made up lol. Have we seen any evidence of a "god" no.... is there any evidence of any religion? no.... There might have been a Jesus who helped people and the bible was based on but the rest was made up... Faith? Thats just a way to control people into believing but never seeing any proof lol.

I guess over two Billion people who believe Jesus is the son of God and that Jesus is not only God’s son, but he is God are wrong?

Although he was a human, historical figure, Jesus is God come to earth in human form.  

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    Originally posted by outfctrl

I guess over two Billion people who believe Jesus is the son of God and that Jesus is not only God’s son, but he is God are wrong?

Although he was a human, historical figure, Jesus is God come to earth in human form.  

Hold up. The same exact argument can be made for every single major religion on earth, including but not limited to:

Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Budhhism, Shinto, Confusianism, Daoism, and Sikhism

By your very same arguments, the above religions, most of which have exceptionally conflicting viewpoints, cannot be wrong simply because so many people follow them.

BOT: I think it might be possible if unlikely. What seems more likely to me is that they skipped over one or more details and these poor fools will end up a laughingstock.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Yea, but look at these stats.  I posted this awhile ago in another thread.  Christianity is by far the most followed religion. 

Yeh but Jedi almost became a official religion on the UK census, if a certain amount of people said they were Jedi under religion then it woulda been official. I'm not sure if it made the target but i heard nothing on the news about it so i guessed not.

In the UK it's hard to find anyone whose religious anymore, 90% of people i know do not believe in god or anything like that and think it's aload of crap : Only people that are religious tbh are people from india and iraq and all them countries that now live over here and bought it with them.

I've got no problem in what people want to believe but however i do have a problem with people trying to "convert" me or forcing it in my face, which the Goverment laws are doing every day.

• EggFteggEggFtegg Member Posts: 1,141

Yeh but Jedi almost became a official religion on the UK census, if a certain amount of people said they were Jedi under religion then it woulda been official. I'm not sure if it made the target but i heard nothing on the news about it so i guessed not.
    In the UK it's hard to find anyone whose religious anymore, 90% of people i know do not believe in god or anything like that and think it's aload of crap : Only people that are religious tbh are people from india and iraq and all them countries that now live over here and bought it with them.

I've got no problem in what people want to believe but however i do have a problem with people trying to "convert" me or forcing it in my face, which the Goverment laws are doing every day.

Which laws specifically are you referring to here?

The Jedi consensus thing was an arranged joke....why would someone lie about whether they were Christian or Muslim?

I was going to point out some disagreements I have with your first post, but it's just the same debates we've had go round before. Maybe you didn't read any of it. Anyway, it's kind of like my post on Belgium: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/107917/page/5

btw. have you ever actually looked into the evidence behind any religions?

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Yea, but look at these stats.  I posted this awhile ago in another thread.  Christianity is by far the most followed religion. 

Ah, so then you are arguing that the religion that has the most followers is correct?

Ok then, so untill about a millenium ago, Christianity was never correct, it was always something else, Judaism was never at the top either, so the Christian god apparently didn't ever come into existance untill then. Ooh, come to think of it that means that Osiris the original Goldmember is still knocking around somewhere.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

Originally posted by EggFtegg

The Jedi consensus thing was an arranged joke....why would someone lie about whether they were Christian or Muslim?

I was going to point out some disagreements I have with your first post, but it's just the same debates we've had go round before. Maybe you didn't read any of it. Anyway, it's kind of like my post on Belgium: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/107917/page/5

You have your views i have mine, we don't need to start a argument about it, just state your view and leave it as that. We'll never know truely who is right or wrong but it's my belief that i'm right in that all the gods and that don't exist. It's hard for Humans to get their head around that this is it and once your dead your dead, impossible actually... but i believe it's true..... scary thought yes.

Also yes i have, we did do RE for like 10 or so years when we went to school.

• freeidfreeid Member Posts: 92
    Billions also believe in Santa. BIllions believed the world was flat, Billions believed the earth was the centre of the Univerce. Millions believed in the greek/roman gods and for a great deal longer than modern religions have had their gods. Number of followers does not lead to fact.

Nuff said.

You have your views i have mine, we don't need to start a argument about it, just state your view and leave it as that. We'll never know truely who is right or wrong but it's my belief that i'm right in that all the gods and that don't exist. It's hard for Humans to get their head around that this is it and once your dead your dead, impossible actually... but i believe it's true..... scary thought yes.

Also yes i have, we did do RE for like 10 or so years when we went to school.

I don't have any issue with you stating your views that you don't believe there's any god. If you don't want an argument, you should follow your own advice instead writing of some of the fairly offensive and ignorant things you posted earlier in this thread.

You said the Bible was just "made up" by various people and included a "lol". You say there's no evidence for god when what you mean is "proof", saying there's no evidence is just asking for someone to point out that there is. You say there's no evidence of Religion, which is just a weird thing to say, because we know religions exist. You suggest that technology has made us happier than religion  and cures mean there's no longer a need for people to pray (you found a cure for death then?). Then you say that the only thing religion has ever done is cause wars.

Besides all that, your rant wasn't even particularly relevant to the thread in the first place....it was like someone mentioned something to do with religion, and you just went off on one.

• LostGraceLostGrace Member Posts: 380

The reason, there are a lot of Christians is because they were either forced to become one or they would have been killed way back in the late classical age to the early midevil period.

• SlickinfinitSlickinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 1,094
    Muslims are seen as the extremists now but 100's of years ago it was Christians who were the crazy extremists who killed and fought wars in the name of god and because they won and conquered alot of land the majority of people today in the western world and beyond were raised as Christians. Its very rare for a child to choose a differant religion then their parents influence them with and imo all religion is, is a control tool and something families use to pass down traditions. Jesus was real and his mother had sex to have him, he did not walk on water and he did not resurect himself and thats just my beliefs but I really think they are correct and more grounded to logic and reality.

{(RIP)} SWG

Originally posted by LostGrace

The reason, there are a lot of Christians is because they were either forced to become one or they would have been killed way back in the late classical age to the early midevil period.

What you're referring to, I assume, are the inquisitions. Mostly people weren't killed except in extreme cases, but there were punishments. This happened in a few parts of Europe. It probably had very little effect on the spread of Christianity. It was only by the fact that Christianity had already spread through Europe that the Catholic church had the power to do this in the first place.

The spread of early Christianity happened under threat of arrest for being Christian...and this often meant death, and usually by some sick arena entertainment. Considering it started with just a handful of guys, and they had enemies in authority, it did pretty well as a religion and the suggestion that it only spreads through children really holds no water when you look over history.

The huge numbers today happened mostly after the period you refer to.

There's an interesting flash map here that shows how religions spread.

What you're referring to, I assume, are the inquisitions. Mostly people weren't killed except in extreme cases, but there were punishments. This happened in a few parts of Europe. It probably had very little effect on the spread of Christianity. It was only by the fact that Christianity had already spread through Europe that the Catholic church had the power to do this in the first place.

The spread of early Christianity happened under threat of arrest for being Christian...and this often meant death, and usually by some sick arena entertainment. Considering it started with just a handful of guys, and they had enemies in authority, it did pretty well as a religion and the suggestion that it only spreads through children really holds no water when you look over history.

The huge numbers today happened mostly after the period you refer to.

There's an interesting flash map here that shows how religions spread.

No, I am refering to the forced conversion of ancient peoples. First the romans changed the enforced religion to Christianity. Then later, with the help of many germantic tribes, the rest of europe converted. Not because they wanted to but because they were forced to. Indeed, it does hold merit. Telling children that something is absolute and should not be challanged is how the religion was spread from generation to generation.

• Mr.Man_7Mr.Man_7 Member Posts: 224

In a way Religion was good for us back then because it kept everyone calm and much happier + boosted morale and things liek that. However now we have Technology to live by and in a way that's like our new religon, if we can cure it why do we need to prey for a God that'll do nothing? Even if there was a god why would god save people anyways? We have free will and godn't do anything because it would cause unbalance lol.

Anyways all religion has ever done is caused War, it's bad for us and goverment laws should throw various religions to stopping making decisions. A goverment should set the rules for everyone and not be influenced by religion.

Like is you have a bad mental illness or something and living is too much pain and you want a leathal injection from the hospital, then you should be allowed to have it done. Religion shouldn't say "we say you cant so its against the law" stupid IMO.
    LOL! Is that all yo have to say? I'll i ever hear from you non-belivers is "Not real , no prove , he doesnt exisist." Stop making stupid excuses , if saying there is no prove of a lord and that's your excuse , back it up. I have had more prove in my life then i'll ever need. All i hear from you Atheists is that there is no god and we can't prove it. Look around you i'm pretty damn sure that no evoloution could create such a beauty such as earth. We could prove it spirtually. Find another excuse , well you?

==============================
    He's not dead... he's electroencephalographically challenged.
    ==============================
    Currently waiting For:
    1st.WAR
    2nd.AoC
    3rd.GnH's
    4th. Sword of the New world: Granado Espada

• mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747

LOL so they say they find something that has a name on it so it has to be what it says. Whats the funniest is taking a dna test and run it again what???? Some how all of a sudden jesus and marys DNA is on file.

• freethinkerfreethinker Member UncommonPosts: 775

interesting...so you acknowledge  that 67% of the world - read MOST-  are non christian. And, that the christian part of the pie graph also represent catholics, non denominational, etc..

Now let's address your point.... Argumentum Ad Populum....once most of the world once believed the world was flat...they were wrong.

(by the way, since you want to use this argument....you must conceed that MOST of the world is going to hell...a place of eternal torture and punishment....what a morally devoid religion...)

where is your god now? 

==========================

• freethinkerfreethinker Member UncommonPosts: 775

not to mention the hundreds of thousands in 3rd world countries who believe from the missionaries who come over and feed them and provide them medical care.

if i were starving/sick and some charismatic guy with a band of followers offered to feed myself and my  family...yea, i'd say whatever he wanted me to say.

lable me a christian...now pass the pork chops.

==========================

Originally posted by freethinker

not to mention the hundreds of thousands in 3rd world countries who believe from the missionaries who come over and feed them and provide them medical care.

Advancements made only after the decline of the catholic church.

Anyone else see a connection between the renaissance and the decline of the catholic church. If you cant, you're blind.

No, I am refering to the forced conversion of ancient peoples. First the romans changed the enforced religion to Christianity. Then later, with the help of many germantic tribes, the rest of europe converted. Not because they wanted to but because they were forced to. Indeed, it does hold merit. Telling children that something is absolute and should not be challanged is how the religion was spread from generation to generation.

So are you saying that if a conquering force took over your country and forced their religion on you, you'd tell your children that this religion was truth, when you considered it to be foreign codswallop?

Are you also saying that if your parents told you something as fact, but later you found nothing in it, nothing to back it up and no benefits, you'd still consider it to be fact anyway and pass it on to your children?

...and unless all present day Christians are direct decendants of the diciples, then we can't say that Christianity only spreads through offspring.

So are you saying that if a conquering force took over your country and forced their religion on you, you'd tell your children that this religion was truth, when you considered it to be foreign codswallop?

Oh yea, definitly. They had no choice. If they were found to be preaching anything else they would be killed, and so would their kids.

Are you also saying that if your parents told you something as fact, but later you found nothing in it, nothing to back it up and no benefits, you'd still consider it to be fact anyway and pass it on to your children?

Yes they did this. Like I said, they had no choice.

...and unless all present day Christians are direct decendants of the diciples, then we can't say that Christianity only spreads through offspring.

For one, I did not say it only is spread through offspring. I said it is spread generation to generation by parents saying it as the absolute truth of all things. Also, what do you mean by only if they are direct decendants of the diciples? I cannot argue this till you interpret it to me.

• iddmitriiddmitri Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Wow tomb found, is there dead mummy? /scared

About religion, everything came from one source as we "know" the crazy ass prophets that wrote everything Jesus did and told them. After a while some people forget and started thinking differently and decided to make different bibles and called them torah new bible old bible who knows how many of these books were written and there were other dudes that though all of you are crazy ass mother fuckers and I hate you all and they wrote kur'an while all dudes and motherfuckers messed with each other some punk in asian thought it was fun to say "ommmm" 24/7 and made his own religion and called it buddhism. Anyways religion is good and you should chose one or at least know what it teaches.
  • d_sk12d_sk12 Member Posts: 130
    SWEET JESUS OF NAZERATH!

Theres an evil monkey in my closet hes gone BANANA'S!!
    help me!

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

nothing is proven by number of believers.  I myself am not religious, but i tihnk the idea behind religion is a good one.  It was made in the days before a police system and was an effective way of keeping people from doing things which would harm newly made civilizations.  I find nothing wrong with people having beliefs, but you have to be aware that many people have beliefs other than your own, and that no religious belief can be "proven" so its useless to argue over them. 

Believing in something is good, but taking action against others for it is not. 

More Wars have been fought over religion than anything else.

• AnkuaAnkua Member Posts: 64

Where are you getting your facts? If you think our civilzation is at its technological peak you are wrong. I have some ocean front property in Arizona for you too along with an old unused bridge.  If we are so advanced then why are we not using glass surgery utensiles? Did you know that an archeologist found a set of  thes instruments and even had a set made anew for his own use. These blades are over a 100 times sharper than our current scalpels. Why did Hitler send all those men to Egypt? Why is no one allowed to film inside the great pyramids? Why are the great pyramids built on an ancient structure? How did the great pyramids get built?

A more advanced human society that was decimated by disease or a cataclysm of major destruction (big rock slams earth or something like it). And why we do not know is the current power structure wants it that way. They want us all dependant upon them for all of our knowledge and sustainance. Knowledge is power. Why teach us to fish when they can control us with that same fish?

Ok, I see they have some DNA of some dead guy but where is the controlled sample of Jesus then? How can you ever come to the conclusion it is Jesus when we do not have any DNA from the guy.  Please do not tell me it is recorded in the geneolgy records and we have the known decendants so we can.