Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goodbye mmorpg.com...

Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855
Yeh i'm sick and tired of looking for a new mmorpg so i'm leaving the site, it's a sad time for the mmorpg industry IMO. In 2003 there was sooo much hope and promise it was looking perfect, several mmorpgs ruined later or released as utter crap or even disappointments and i'm fed up....

After looking at future mmorpgs atm theres nothing that'll capture my SWG experience back in 2003 until it was ruined by Jedi,JTLS and the CU + the NGE. Games like WAR and that are just boring resrictive level quest grinds and i have no interest in that anymore.

Anyways goodbye people, don't put up with this crap coming from the industry and make a difference by not feeding them money.

Comments

• War_DancerWar_Dancer Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by Veiled_light

Anyways goodbye people, don't put up with this crap coming from the industry and make a difference by not feeding them money.
    Pretty much my plan since the NGE
  • OmrieOmrie Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Just wait a little while longer hehe, I heard square enix is thinking about making a new mmo with the ps3, and the pc, hang in there a bit, and it might be worthwhile.
  • Aikes1Aikes1 Member Posts: 292
    Originally posted by War_Dancer

I have ended all my MMO accounts too. The only thing I have seen that looks like it may be a good thing if it ever get live is www.fallenearth.com/

I keep coming here and other forum sites so that I can keep an open eye out for anything that may perk my interest.

"SWG was a world, now it's just a game" -adamrk-

"When the game was good, you didn't have to ask where the population was, because it was everywhere. When the game was good you didn't have to ask which server had population, because they all did. When the game was good you didn't have to beg friends to give it a try, because they were already playing. " - Salty Pete

• War_DancerWar_Dancer Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by Omrie

Just wait a little while longer hehe, I heard square enix is thinking about making a new mmo with the ps3, and the pc, hang in there a bit, and it might be worthwhile.
    Anything they are working on though is at least a year away and most likely years away.
  • viadiviadi Member Posts: 816
    /agree with the OP i'm getting bored of waiting for something to happen but my own delusion stops me from walking away. its got to the point where i do wonder if we got our beloved Pre-CU back would we really be able to recreate the good old days would it still feel new and would the vets really return? i dont know I'm starting to think maybe its better to want and never get rather than have and not want (if you see what i mean)

Tin Foil hats dont work.. its all a conspiracy

• Ake_GamerAke_Gamer Member Posts: 112

Don't give up on your hobbies, fellas. For sure, vote with your wallet.

The only way devs/publishers are going to adapt is through failures and feedback. We just have to keep critiquing, recommending, arguing, etc.

Plenty of effort is being made globally in this hobby space. Millions are spent monthly by development houses and that will continue. We just need to give them feedback so they can direct their efforts towards what we collectively think is best.

Given the choice of entertainment modes today, I'll opt in for engaging MMOs over boring TV any day.

Dec 20,1999: AC1(DT).Since then:DAoC,SB,AC2,L2,EvE,WoW,SoR
    ====================
    Currently playing: ArchLord - L58 Knight
    LoTRo - L13 Dwarf Guardian

• kano71kano71 Member Posts: 207
    Ya pretty boring scene nowadays and no real hope in the future unless yer into elf's and trolls and all that rehashed fantasy crap being put out for the masses. I miss the old swg a truely great game at one point. all it needed was  some bug fixes and some content added. Instead we got CU and NGE. I still don't understand why it all happened, But one thing is for sure SOE got exactly what the deserved when 90% of us left.
  • DvolDvol Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Aikes

Originally posted by War_Dancer

I have ended all my MMO accounts too. The only thing I have seen that looks like it may be a good thing if it ever get live is www.fallenearth.com/

I keep coming here and other forum sites so that I can keep an open eye out for anything that may perk my interest.

i have to agree Fallen earth looks very promising..at least that dev team still has vision..too bad we have to wait so long to get a good MMO to play..Ive cancelled all games and sticking to Betas and single player games atm..at least with single player games i dont have to worry about someone changing it to something it wasnt when i bought it..
  • DundeeDundee Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by kano71

Ya pretty boring scene nowadays and no real hope in the future unless yer into elf's and trolls and all that rehashed fantasy crap being put out for the masses. I miss the old swg a truely great game at one point. all it needed was  some bug fixes and some content added. Instead we got CU and NGE. I still don't understand why it all happened, But one thing is for sure SOE got exactly what the deserved when 90% of us left.
    Don't forget Pirates. Apparently they are this year's Vikings.

It's the same throughout the game industry: That's why a lot of times it seems like theres nothing but RTS's, FPS, and RPGs.

Weren't even any good RPGs for so long people thought that genre was headed off to join adventure games, 'til Baldur's Gate came out.

There's more innovation on consoles and hand-helds, especially from Nintendo, and the DS and the Wii are online. I think there is going to be some cool there.

Whatever Raph's working on will likely have more "game" and less furry pr0n than SL (just a hunch).

We're going to have an Asia Invasion real soon. They have some crazy stuff.

And Habbo Hotel and Runescape are getting long in the tooth - they just must have been investing some of their bazillions of dollars in updated versions for people who like graphics and gameplay.

I don't think there are going to be too many more EQ clones (what people call WoW-clones, even though it's an EQ-clone). Just as no one competes with The Sims - never making anything even remotely like it, because everyone who wants to play something like The Sims is playing The Sims - we might see the MMO industry cede the field to Blizzard to go play in a different field.

But not if LotRO can break a million. If that happens, they'll just add killer license as a requirement.

Annnyway, the future looks better than it did a few years ago...
    Originally posted by Dundee

Don't forget Pirates. Apparently they are this year's Vikings.

It's the same throughout the game industry: That's why a lot of times it seems like theres nothing but RTS's, FPS, and RPGs.

Weren't even any good RPGs for so long people thought that genre was headed off to join adventure games, 'til Baldur's Gate came out.

There's more innovation on consoles and hand-helds, especially from Nintendo, and the DS and the Wii are online. I think there is going to be some cool there.

Whatever Raph's working on will likely have more "game" and less furry pr0n than SL (just a hunch).

We're going to have an Asia Invasion real soon. They have some crazy stuff.

And Habbo Hotel and Runescape are getting long in the tooth - they just must have been investing some of their bazillions of dollars in updated versions for people who like graphics and gameplay.

I don't think there are going to be too many more EQ clones (what people call WoW-clones, even though it's an EQ-clone). Just as no one competes with The Sims - never making anything even remotely like it, because everyone who wants to play something like The Sims is playing The Sims - we might see the MMO industry cede the field to Blizzard to go play in a different field.

But not if LotRO can break a million. If that happens, they'll just add killer license as a requirement.

Annnyway, the future looks better than it did a few years ago...

See LOTR may break a million but does it have enough to survive the long haul.It is polished its just OK IMO..Nothing that would keep my intrest for very long at all..Now i think the MMO world may revert back to Skills and player choices of what they want to be.Until that time when another ground breaking none-EQ1 clone comes around ill speak with my wallet..The field i want is similar to SWGPRECU and set in a sci fi setting with that kinda game engine..Easy to get into fun to play tons of stuff to do and nothing forced on me..Give us choices polish and something otther than the Level based  kill this loot that rinse repeat, and i think the game will/can succeed..The WoW type of game is old and stale and due to bleed subs as well...Every game tries to be WOW well what part of if we wanted another WOW we'd just play wow dont Devs understand..

Killer license doesnt =success look at SWG..Polish and how one treats the customer and how your game plays is the key..If SWG proved one thing its how not to treat your player base.Then by not looking to your past mistakes not learning a thing from it(CU) and still going through with it(NGE).See gameplay choices and Skill based profession system sandbox gameplay can and did work.Just too bad the bad  bugs and such were never addressed correctly we got 2 subpar game systems..They still think SWG core gameplay was the issue even tho everyone knows different but them..(Look at vanguard also for what not to do)

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393
    oh well...one less crying SWG refugee.
    gunklacker

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,166
    Originally posted by hipiap

oh well...one less crying SWG refugee.

Yeah but there's 1000s more so one down is insignificant. I'm a "glass half emtpy" kinda thinker I guess.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by Dvol

See LOTR may break a million but does it have enough to survive the long haul.It is polished its just OK IMO..Nothing that would keep my intrest for very long at all..

In terms of the rest of the MMO industry abandoning WoW-clones, it doesn't matter how it holds up. If it can break a million, then devs will know that a WoW-clone can break a million, and keep making them.

I'm not saying this is a good thing. I thought making EQ-clones was a bad idea, and making WoW-clones is sixteen-times as bad.

Now i think the MMO world may revert back to Skills and player choices of what they want to be.

Yeah, and more radical designs than that.

Until that time when another ground breaking none-EQ1 clone comes around ill speak with my wallet..The field i want is similar to SWGPRECU and set in a sci fi setting with that kinda game engine..Easy to get into fun to play tons of stuff to do and nothing forced on me..Give us choices polish and something otther than the Level based  kill this loot that rinse repeat, and i think the game will/can succeed..

Your ideas intrigue me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

The WoW type of game is old and stale and due to bleed subs as well...Every game tries to be WOW well what part of if we wanted another WOW we'd just play wow dont Devs understand..

8 million people playing WoW makes dollar-signs cloud reason.

Killer license doesnt =success look at SWG..

Not what I meant: just that they'd take it as a requirement.

Licenses are actually pretty bad for MMOs.

Polish and how one treats the customer and how your game plays is the key..If SWG proved one thing its how not to treat your player base.Then by not looking to your past mistakes not learning a thing from it(CU) and still going through with it(NGE).See gameplay choices and Skill based profession system sandbox gameplay can and did work. Just too bad the bad  bugs and such were never addressed correctly we got 2 subpar game systems..They still think SWG core gameplay was the issue even tho everyone knows different but them..(Look at vanguard also for what not to do)
    Astute. There was so much different, and so much to SWG, that when it altogether did not work, the more alien parts of the game were assigned the blame (but I think lack of content was a more significant factor than bugs).

See LOTR may break a million but does it have enough to survive the long haul.It is polished its just OK IMO..Nothing that would keep my intrest for very long at all..

In terms of the rest of the MMO industry abandoning WoW-clones, it doesn't matter how it holds up. If it can break a million, then devs will know that a WoW-clone can break a million, and keep making them.

I'm not saying this is a good thing. I thought making EQ-clones was a bad idea, and making WoW-clones is sixteen-times as bad.

Now i think the MMO world may revert back to Skills and player choices of what they want to be.

Care to elaborate on what you think those radical designs MAY be?

Until that time when another ground breaking none-EQ1 clone comes around ill speak with my wallet..The field i want is similar to SWGPRECU and set in a sci fi setting with that kinda game engine..Easy to get into fun to play tons of stuff to do and nothing forced on me..Give us choices polish and something otther than the Level based  kill this loot that rinse repeat, and i think the game will/can succeed..

Your ideas intrigue me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

LOL i was rolling on this one good one!!I cant speak for everyone but thats the kinda game id like to play and would purchase..The profession system/states/buffs crafting and the ability to do what i chose to was very appealing for me.Not the here your 1 class grind for 2 months and well your stuck with it till you rinse repeat..

The WoW type of game is old and stale and due to bleed subs as well...Every game tries to be WOW well what part of if we wanted another WOW we'd just play wow dont Devs understand..

8 million people playing WoW makes dollar-signs cloud reason.

Yeah worldwide tho and the game is widely known and the IP has been around a long long time..Doesnt mean i cant play it and a game that plays better and offers more?I find my mood dictates alot of what game i chose to play on any given day.Some days im in the mood for mindless shooters others a deep involving game..But for 2 years i didnt buy much due to the gameplay of SWG keeping my intrest..I bought wow and JTL in that time and enjoyed both..WoW was meh but was fun at times..I just personally found it super boring..

Killer license doesnt =success look at SWG..

Not what I meant: just that they'd take it as a requirement.

Licenses are actually pretty bad for MMOs.

Polish and how one treats the customer and how your game plays is the key..If SWG proved one thing its how not to treat your player base.Then by not looking to your past mistakes not learning a thing from it(CU) and still going through with it(NGE).See gameplay choices and Skill based profession system sandbox gameplay can and did work. Just too bad the bad  bugs and such were never addressed correctly we got 2 subpar game systems..They still think SWG core gameplay was the issue even tho everyone knows different but them..(Look at vanguard also for what not to do)
    Astute. There was so much different, and so much to SWG, that when it altogether did not work, the more alien parts of the game were assigned the blame (but I think lack of content was a more significant factor than bugs).

Personally for me the lack of differnet mob types armor types was one thing..The broken skills in some professions the constant Nerfing a profession because it worked and others didnt.Alot of it worked it just needed alot more Beta time it never got..I will say it had alot more positives than negatives.Content means alot but the quality of that content means more
  • FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

Who's got a killer IP that has 3 Mega hit movies to go with it..other than..StarWars?

Whos IP would compete? Its one thing to have a good fantasy IP, but whose can bring in as many as LOTR? Do they have 3 movies?

So, i kinda disagree there. I dont think anyone would wanna try to compete with WOW and LOTR, unless they have an IP that could. Sure there are alot of great fantasy IP's, but, none as good as, or as popular, or with 3 movies. So why make a wow clone if all of that is a requirement. I personally think LOTR will make companies to start looking outside the gerne because they know they couldnt compete..especially not with the EQ model.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• FrenzFrenz Member Posts: 48
    A Mmo based on the blade movies would be cool if done right.

Just talking off-the-cuff, there: Thinking if character advancement must always be either class-levels or skills... it's like living in a universe with only two colors.  Seems like you could at least mix them.

Off the top of my head, the obvious four first:
    • Classes
    • Skills
    • Both
    • None - the character doesn't advance: it's not that crazy when you consider how many people hit the maximum level and keep playing anyway, with no character advancement. Guild Wars is nearly there.
    • Token-collection: Tangible objects you can collect and trade, or use; which do what skills/levels do now.
    • Character-collection: Rather than leveling-up one character, you unlock new higher-level characters, which don't level-up either.
    • Off-character advancement: You advance in whatever is important to the game (money, faction, sex appeal, mySpace friends, whatever), rather than advancing the skills and abilities of your avatar.
    ...ok, nothing that radical. Heh.

Animal Crossing on the DS is already an MMO: you mostly advance by paying off your debt, completing collections, and playing consecutive days.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by FikusOfAhazi

Who's got a killer IP that has 3 Mega hit movies to go with it..other than..StarWars?
    Whos IP would compete? Its one thing to have a good fantasy IP, but whose can bring in as many as LOTR? Do they have 3 movies?
    So, i kinda disagree there. I dont think anyone would wanna try to compete with WOW and LOTR, unless they have an IP that could. Sure there are alot of great fantasy IP's, but, none as good as, or as popular, or with 3 movies. So why make a wow clone if all of that is a requirement. I personally think LOTR will make companies to start looking outside the gerne because they know they couldnt compete..especially not with the EQ model.

You do realize LOTR does have three movies?

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Yeh i'm sick and tired of looking for a new mmorpg so i'm leaving the site, it's a sad time for the mmorpg industry IMO. In 2003 there was sooo much hope and promise it was looking perfect, several mmorpgs ruined later or released as utter crap or even disappointments and i'm fed up....

After looking at future mmorpgs atm theres nothing that'll capture my SWG experience back in 2003 until it was ruined by Jedi,JTLS and the CU + the NGE. Games like WAR and that are just boring resrictive level quest grinds and i have no interest in that anymore.

One thing ...

How did JTL "ruin" SWG? It's the best expansion that game ever had.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• FrenzFrenz Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by kobie173

One thing ...

It ruined a good part of the social aspect imo.
  • kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by Frenz

Originally posted by kobie173

One thing ...

It ruined a good part of the social aspect imo.

Oh, bullshit. Fine, so people didn't have to wait 10 minutes for shuttles off planet anymore. But when JTL came out, there were still buff lines in the starports, there were still full cantinas, you still had to shuttle to player cities (with the shuttle wait times that everyone seems so fond of).

Hey, I had no problems with socialization -- but everything was not about socialization. And JTL added something fun to the game! How anyone can think that "ruined" anything is beyond me.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    JTL, imo, didnt really ruin swg... but there were some inherent problems with it.  First was that it was never as fun as Xwing vs Tie-Fighter (of course that is a subjective assessment but I think that that 12-15 year old game is still considered in many circles as the very best of the best games ever to have the Star Wars moniker).  Secondly was that the dev team at SOE got confuzzled I think. 

They mistook cause and effect.  People were growing bored with the ground game... there was no content being added to the core game after the project dead-eye and a couple other little story lines.  The development that was being poured into Jedi then into Bounty Hunter made pvp and the gcw in general boring because if you werent one of those 2 professions you didnt stand a chance, the removal of saber tef's etc didnt help matters at all.  Though there were a LOT of very good suggestions on the forums but they kept delaying the new FRS etc. So, the dev's looked at (I am assuming here) where people were spending the majority of their time, space.  Why space?  Well, they (incorrectly) concluded that it was the action style gameplay of JTL that everyone was attracted to.  So, they took that and slapped it onto the ground game.

Nothing anyone wanted, nothing anyone ever asked for.  People had asked for steak and were given tofu :P

But, back on track, there are some promising things coming down the pipe I think.  Age of Conan and Tabula Rasa have my interest peaked.  Not to mention the changes that Mythic are making to RvR, plus I love Warhammer anyway, look to be something at least entertaining at the moment... when I am not playing the Wii :D  Huxley and Aion could end up good games as well.  I have been around since the very beginning of this genre and do not want to leave it behind.  Gods and Heroes could be fun if its handled better than Granado Espanada, but it SOE partially involved :(.  Star Trek Online could also be a great game if they handle the license appropriately.

Then of course there is the 900 lb gorilla in the room, that does a good job hiding in the shadows :P.  Bioware!  They have Jeff Vogel and other UO originals working on the project.  Could there be a new sand box game?  One with Bioware's story telling ability????  We have to wait and see, and probably wont see much for another year or so :'(

I do not think it is time for the death of the mmorpg genre yet.  People have been claiming that PC gaming was going to die like 5 years ago.

I personally think LOTR will make companies to start looking outside the gerne because they know they couldnt compete..especially not with the EQ model.
    We're close to agreement: But I think if it under-performs, then that'll signal the industry: Not even LotR could compete against WoW.

So the safer bet with the next big IP will be to make a different game.

With big IPs - maybe not timeless ones like SW and LotR, but just "hot" IPs - they want to take the least risk.

Right now, a WoW-clone is perceived as being the least risky design.

So if they're going to try something new, they'd do that with a cheap or original IP.

If even LotR can't find its audience being WoW-like, then that'll change and the least risky thing will be to make a different game.

Killer IP doesn't have to be as big as SW or LotR: those two are the biggest. But it doesn't need to be a "timeless IP" like those either. It could just be "hot". The Matrix, after the first movie, was huge. 'Til they killed it with the next two movies. Harry Potter is big. The Sims is still a massive IP, even though TSO under-performed.

They look at things like that: EQ-clones have made it, up to WoW making it bigger than anyone even thought the market was.

Others have either tanked completely, or far under-performed what the IP "should have" done.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Who's got a killer IP (other than lotr) that has 3 Mega hit movies to go with it..other than..StarWars?(they just blew their chance)

You do realize LOTR does have three movies?

fixed so it makes sense.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

Just talking off-the-cuff, there: Thinking if character advancement must always be either class-levels or skills... it's like living in a universe with only two colors.  Seems like you could at least mix them.

Off the top of my head, the obvious four first:
    • Classes
    • Skills
    • Both
    • None - the character doesn't advance: it's not that crazy when you consider how many people hit the maximum level and keep playing anyway, with no character advancement. Guild Wars is nearly there.
    • Token-collection: Tangible objects you can collect and trade, or use; which do what skills/levels do now.
    • Character-collection: Rather than leveling-up one character, you unlock new higher-level characters, which don't level-up either.
    • Off-character advancement: You advance in whatever is important to the game (money, faction, sex appeal, mySpace friends, whatever), rather than advancing the skills and abilities of your avatar.

...ok, nothing that radical. Heh.

Animal Crossing on the DS is already an MMO: you mostly advance by paying off your debt, completing collections, and playing consecutive days.

Wasnt SWG a mix of levels and skills? i recall before the CU a dev stated that the levels were there just hidden?See i dont mind that just how it appears to the gamer i suppose...

*skills-i think your confusing skills with skill points.I rather enjoyed being able to spend those points anywere i wanted..That had alot of content for me when i got bored with my current *Build*skills are in wow ie your back ground weapons and such gain in skill.Let me make sure were on the same page..when we say we want skills i guess we should add skill points to spend as we see fit.But your given x-amount no more no less..i

*Levels-Hmm i just personally think its all in how its used..we have had these systems for ages now..But i guess in the right combo and not to limit me to what i can do within the game..ie have to be level 50 to fight lvl 49 stuff..And i dont want to be pigeon holed into one thing my whole time in a game and be just like everyone else..with SWG type system you had to have the right armor buffs weapon and template..alot of things resisted certain damage types..but even a lowbie could help or do things he just had to be cautious..and i saw many with no masteries in their builds do some things that a level based system wouldnt let them..Have fun at any level and player choices..

*Oh and im not against FPS combat either or a mix of timed like the old SWG..But i think when you over mix genres you either come out as the best game ever or the biggest pile of poo..I think if you had a game with basic professions elite ones then Master proffesions(masters being the Alpha classes shh not everyone wants balance)I prefer being able to be better than anyone else.Not saying i have to be but given the options of it..

*both-hmm if you could answer the first line i think SWG was both?

*none-player wont feel like he accomplished something-None is kinda the shooter fps crowd-Im not the crowd that system is looking for..

I think if a MMO would just sit down and say well we have Professions and you have the choice of being any or a mix of any.It doesnt have to be Scifi i think id actually play a fantasy game if it had that type of system..An example would be say i wanted to become a Slayer of dragons..to get there i would need X parts from warrior trees x from Swordmaster x from Priest then id unlock the Elite Dragon warrior trees..See mucho more options even in a fantasy setting...For the scifi crowd the skill trees would be a advantage cause scifi can mean so many different things to so many different people..I think mixing classes and the only limits are skill points that right their is alot of content..And for petes sake dont balance a game solely on PVP, its widely known 80% of players pve and i swear Balance isnt a problem when each profession has strengths and weaknesses..Simple but no one out there in Dev land can do such a game since wow came along and Dumbed it all back down..Now all the suits Scream Build me a WoWCLone i mean Killer make it so they will come drool and all..

This discussion has been closed.