Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VERY jumpy game scores again now!

Hey everyone!

Yesterday three games were in the top three with 8.1 and 8.2 as scores, among them AO and DAoC, and they have been very stable at that position for quite a while now.

Then suddenly, today, I see that a new game CoH has shot to the 1st place with 8.8, which is all fine and good, cause it will balance itself out later, since probably all the fanbois are rating it higher than it really deserves. Thats not what I have trouble with. My trouble is with the fact that the other games have dropped a WHOLE point, some of them. The 2nd is now at 7.4, and the rest follow behind. I had thought that the rating system had been implemented in such a way that this sort of thing was no longer possible.

Granted, CoH might be great, but when CoH fans feel the need to lower the scores of every other game also (cause that it what has happened), then they need to take a long hard look in the mirror, and have a good look around the house to see if they can find their maturity anywhere.

Nightbrother

Comments

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961
    The issue at the moment is that currently not many votes have been posted for the rating of CoH, as a result it is scoring very highly. The ratings are effected by a curve which yesterday saw some of these higher rated games drop to as low as 6.5. As a solution to the problem Craig put in a system where a game needed a minimum amount of votes. However once that level was reached again it effected the other games. But don't worry over time it will even out. image

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694
    Way to be on ball PT image

"The difference between a millionaire and a ditchdigger is the millionaire thinks different and spends his time doing productive things"

- MMORPG.COM STAFF -

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

Don't worry the rating will go down when the fanbois of other games rate CoH a one out of spite like they always do with other titles.

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

Haha, the problem is that CoH is great at everything they have listed. It has great graphics, it is fun, it has good sound, and even the customer service is top notch. Now, if the listing had things like raiding, end game, crafting, or economy, then it would probably score lower in those areas.

Which gives me a good idea. Why not have a secondary rating which gives people a good idea of what a game is about? It could have people rate things like Soloing, Grouping, Raiding, End Game, Crafting, Economy, PvP... While it wouldn't tell you how fun a game is overall (games can be fun when not high in all those catagories), it would let people better know if the game is good at the style(s) of game play they prefer. You could even have some other ranking lists such as Best PvP, Best Raiding, and Best Crafting games.

image image

• UnKn0wNUnKn0wN Member Posts: 59
    The question should be, who really cares about stats and scores? Sure it may be nice to know, but since the ratings are decided by us, then you really shouldn't take it to the heart image

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    War Doesn't Determine Who's Right, War Determines Who's Left.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

War Doesn't Determine Who's Right, War Determines Who's Left.

• bsherlockbsherlock Member Posts: 491

Originally posted by n2sooners

Haha, the problem is that CoH is great at everything they have listed. It has great graphics, it is fun, it has good sound, and even the customer service is top notch. Now, if the listing had things like raiding, end game, crafting, or economy, then it would probably score lower in those areas.

Which gives me a good idea. Why not have a secondary rating which gives people a good idea of what a game is about? It could have people rate things like Soloing, Grouping, Raiding, End Game, Crafting, Economy, PvP... While it wouldn't tell you how fun a game is overall (games can be fun when not high in all those catagories), it would let people better know if the game is good at the style(s) of game play they prefer. You could even have some other ranking lists such as Best PvP, Best Raiding, and Best Crafting games.

Good idea, there is another post around somewhere with a very long list of things which could well be included and would give people a better idea about the actual game itself, because certain people look for certain things above all others.

Muahahahahahahaha

3 stars sucks :( i want my 5 stars back!

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

• LotariousLotarious Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by n2sooners

This is a great idea! I've always tought the rating were a little limited in the questions it asks.

---------------------------------
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand
    by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally
    treasonable to the American people."-Teddy Roosevelt

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Yes, the list uses a curve.  Without the curve we find that all the games fall in around 4.5-6.0 in score.  Technically, all we do is "zoom" into these scores and stretch things out...but ONLY up.  In other words, all our curve does is ADD to the games scores.  The games at the bottom see the least adjustment and those at the top see the most.

I do like the idea of more review options...but we would need to make sure they are basic enough to not eliminate some games.  For example I see "raiding" and "crafting" as something that might not be in all MMORPG games - so users would give it a 1 which is not really fair.  It is a good idea, but it would take some more brainstorming to make it fit our broad genre list of games.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

Originally posted by Admin

Yes, the list uses a curve.  Without the curve we find that all the games fall in around 4.5-6.0 in score.  Technically, all we do is "zoom" into these scores and stretch things out...but ONLY up.  In other words, all our curve does is ADD to the games scores.  The games at the bottom see the least adjustment and those at the top see the most.
    I do like the idea of more review options...but we would need to make sure they are basic enough to not eliminate some games.  For example I see "raiding" and "crafting" as something that might not be in all MMORPG games - so users would give it a 1 which is not really fair.  It is a good idea, but it would take some more brainstorming to make it fit our broad genre list of games.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

I agree, those more specific items would throw the curve off in games that lack in those areas. I wouldn't factor them into the general score, I would just have them standing on their own merits. Then people could see how people rate the PvP of a game (for those who are into PvP), and pick the best PvP game.

image image

• bsherlockbsherlock Member Posts: 491

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

you could have a not applicable option as well as giving it a score, which would allow you to see at a glance if the game has raiding, and how wel done it is, same for crafting and pvp etc etc.

as long as the categories remain seperate, and are not used to score the actual game (keep the current rating system as the main system) then i dont think these secondary ratings would be unfair to any game.

(back seat admin)

3 stars sucks :( i want my 5 stars back!

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Yes, this is kind of what I was thinking except we would need something in there for each game that says what it supports.  You would not want to allow users to rank a feature not in the game. This would mean we would need to research each game to determine what elements are applicable for each title.

We have some plans down the road for the game list and the site that might make this more feasible :)

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• metagruenmetagruen Member Posts: 9

I don't give much for the rating system in general...

When I first came here I saw that AO was in the TOP 3 of ALL (!) MMORPGs.

I admit that maybe a lot of there players actually have fun, that made me checkout the trial. but the ratings don't take changing qualitiy standards in account.

When I played AO (only 5 or 6 monts ago) and compare the whole game basics (graphics, control) it's ridiculous that it's in such a high position.

the graphic is average at best....the control system was one of the weirdest ones I have ever seen. and it's not very noob friendly.

So don't get me wrong this is not a rant against AO, I believe that it is a good game for the ones that play it. It just points out that the current rating system is not taking into account:

the standard quality level of graphics, usability and overall expectations have grown in the past years

you shouldn't have AC, and AO in the top positions IMHO....

So, what exactly are you suggesting?  That we just delete peoples votes or tamper with the system in some way?

The ratings come from the members...I guess I just don't get what you are proposing we do about it image

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• metagruenmetagruen Member Posts: 9

Yeah, I know that the votes come from the poeple.

It's just the problem with ratings which need adjustment when new titles with a higher qualtity level (although I admit, that "new" doesn't always have to mean "better" :) ) are released.

I will try to make this statement clearer with a comparison to the hardware sector espec. graphic adapters.

2 years ago everyone who bought themselves a Geforce4 Ti 4200 would have rated it "as the best graphic card ever!" or would have given the newly released Radeon 9700 pro "the number one award"
    maybe a average rating of 9.0 points

2 years later we have the Radeon 9800XT available and the Geforce 6800 soon to be released. People will rate the cards the same as the older adapters "greates card ever..."
    again you might come up with a rating of 9.0 points

While in no means the older cards wouldn't have deserved the rating back then, you would not rate them so good TODAY. If you rated them again...compared to the current models you would say:
    "well a nice and fair built card, but the newer models are much better"....average of 6.5 to 7 points.

The only problem with the system here is that most of the people will only judge or rate the game ONCE and then forget about it. I doubt that all the ratings would be the same when everyone would be forced to rate the titles once a month....

So all we have in the rating system now is: YOu can see that at ONE point a lot of users gave a certain amount of points to a game. But it doesn't really show if for instance AO is really as good/loved by the players as DAoC in the most recent time.

And I understand, that this could only be solved if users were forced to varify their ratings once a month OR if you would only take the recent ratings into account...which would be bad cause this would be a disadvantage for older games.

Hope I could make my argument a bit clearer

Yes, that is a valid point.  Not *too* valid quite yet because our ratings are only about 8 months old at the most...and I would say 75% of the ratings are from the past 4 months (our site really boomed from Jan 2004 and on).

We will definately look into "retiring" some of the old ratings once some more time passes...image

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• darkmandarkman Member UncommonPosts: 767

So, what exactly are you suggesting?  That we just delete peoples votes or tamper with the system in some way?
    The ratings come from the members...I guess I just don't get what you are proposing we do about it image- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Can't argue with that logic :P. This is what we think, so you can't really do much to it. Sure, sometimes drastic changes happen in days, but that is because of well, I dunno, neither do I realy care :P. Probably one time posters post once, then they hype/review a game.

New PR rep for the North American Version of RYL
    www.planetwidegames.com

Drastic changes happen because of the curve.  If one game starts approaching a "true" average close to 10, the curve vanishes or gets ver insignificant.

Basically the curve finds the very highest ranked game.  Then it calculates the distance from that score to 10.  Then it finds out what it would need to multiply that number by to reach that point - then it multiplies all the games by that figure...giving them all a boost - but the bigger boost will go to the higher ranked games.  This in effect spreads the scores out - but always increases all the scores.

Example:

Highest game is CoH with a true score of 8.0.

Score halfway from 8 to 10 is 9.

The Coh Score would have to be multiplied by 1.125 to reach 9.  THIS IS THE CURVE MULTIPLIER.

Now multiply all the game scores by this amount.

The top game jumps to 9 (8 x 1.25), a game of 7.5 would jump to 8.4, a game with 5 would only rise to 5.6 and a game of 3 would only rise to 3.4, etc.

As you can see they all go up...so no matter what - all the games actually have a lesser "true" score then you see on the list image

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -