Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are MMORPG's getting too power hungry ?

Seems that all new betas (and in fact released solo games) are asking for top range Graphics cards nowadays and faster, bigger  processors, memory and drive space.  This has even gone as far as listing maybe 3-4 cards that you must use in order to play.

How far do you want to see this taken ?

Comments

• UnKn0wNUnKn0wN Member Posts: 59

I just recently bought a 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro. It was pretty expensive around 250$, But it's been doing it's job just fine lately.

But there are some games out there coming out, for example WoW, which has it's own style of graphics, somewhat cartoonish, but beautiful still. And i heard it's pretty easy on graphics so if that's true, then theres 1 game. Frankly i'm just hoping Guild Wars doesn't blow my comp up. hehe

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    War Doesn't Determine Who's Right, War Determines Who's Left.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• DemonShockDemonShock Member UncommonPosts: 5

It seems nowadays games are mostly graphics with little gameplay.

• GnarledGnarled Member Posts: 566

Like any technology, if you catch the cards just behind the bleeding edge (say FX 5600's) right now, you get a really good card at a decent price, and it should last you 1-2 years. At least the games are scalable now, it used to be you either met the requirements or you didn't.

This is a very weird time in mmorpg history, I dont think the constant wave of new games can be sustained.

"I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest sword. If, on your journey, you should encounter God. . .
    . . . God will be cut."
    - Quentin Tarantino, Kill Bill

EQII
    Requiiem, Templar
    Neriak

• bsherlockbsherlock Member Posts: 491

I think that games are becoming more and more power hungry, although with the constant requests for greatr graphics that is the price we have to pay. I for one do not mind if a game has good graphics or not. I prefer a game where the character and gameplay are central and anything else, such as graphics are just added on the side. I run a (lowly) radeon 7500 and i seem to be just on the lower edge of what todays games need.

i do not want to upgrade but fortunately i shouldnt have to for about a year or so.

Muahahahahahahaha

2 stars sucks :( i want my 5 stars back!

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

• UnKn0wNUnKn0wN Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by bsherlock

I think that games are becoming more and more power hungry, although with the constant requests for greatr graphics that is the price we have to pay. I for one do not mind if a game has good graphics or not. I prefer a game where the character and gameplay are central and anything else, such as graphics are just added on the side. I run a (lowly) radeon 7500 and i seem to be just on the lower edge of what todays games need.
    i do not want to upgrade but fortunately i shouldnt have to for about a year or so.

I here you Bsherlock, i've had a radeon 7500 64mb card for over a year, and just recently is when i upgraded to the Radeon 9800 124mb Pro which so far has been worth the purchase. I can now actually play some games on high settings! image

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Any MMOG released today was likely conceived 5 or more years prior, and will be outdated in 6 months.

If you do not start with high requirements for graphics then you will be instantly outdated on release. That's an inauspicious start for any game, let alone one that is intended to last for years.

Originally posted by ianubisi

Any MMOG released today was likely conceived 5 or more years prior, and will be outdated in 6 months.
    If you do not start with high requirements for graphics then you will be instantly outdated on release. That's an inauspicious start for any game, let alone one that is intended to last for years.

I kind of agree, because people do tend to be hooked on graphics these days.

BUT, my Radeon 7500 can handle pretty good graphics, although not as good as todays top cards. And as long as the game is great to play and has character customisation, gameplay, story and player base etc, i do not see why they cant be made to just have such graphics.

I for one dont really care if i get glare in my visor when the sun rises, or if i can see ripples when it rains. And on some games people even turn the graphics down to long grass etc doesnt get in the way when trying to fight.

Yes hardware is continually getting better and better and games need to push the boundaries, but i dont want to have to buy a new PC each year to buy a game. Sometimes good should be good enough, without needing to push into exceptional.

Muahahahahahahaha

3 stars sucks :( i want my 5 stars back!

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

I won my graphcs card image

thanks MMORPG.com image

Originally posted by MurtBijani

I won my graphcs card image
    thanks MMORPG.com image

Lucky Sod image

Muahahahahahahaha

3 stars sucks :( i want my 5 stars back!

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

• LrdHadesLrdHades Member UncommonPosts: 164

Having a 128 mb card is pretty standard for games these days.  The rest of your computer system should still be good for another couple of years. PC's are cheap, so people have to develop games that cater to the largest audience possible.

I'd be more concerned with watching what the minimum specs are, and then seeing how far away from that your gaming rig is.

Not much out there requires 1.5 ghz or better.

Guildmaster
    Lords of the Dead, LotD

Supreme Leader Hades
    The Imperial Aces
    Discord: https://discord.gg/CjBP4dc

• LotariousLotarious Member Posts: 85

while I have an ok system capable of running anything out there currently, for the most part I really don't care about flashy graphics.

No matter what game I'm playing, I'll play the first day with graphics at full so I can ooo and ahh at the graphics. Then starting day 2 graphics are turned down to the minimum.

Performance > Graphics in my book.

I always turn the darn music off too! I swear I don't understand why people get worked up about music in games. Again cool maybe the first time you hear it, after that it's just annoying and taking up system resources. If I want to listen to music while I play I'll pop a CD in the stereo.

---------------------------------
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand
    by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally
    treasonable to the American people."-Teddy Roosevelt

• I got a Xabre 400 Ultra...its made by SiS and its a 128DDR/8xAGP/TV Out card with its own cooling fan

Now, dont laught yet..its really a outstanding card at a very good price..I paid 81.00 total (shipping too)

Just use google (or what ever you use) and read up about it...Ive been playing SWG with it and it looks great and no hangups

• TaskyZZTaskyZZ Member Posts: 1,476

Originally posted by Hellbilly
    I got a Xabre 400 Ultra...its made by SiS and its a 128DDR/8xAGP/TV Out card with its own cooling fan
    Now, dont laught yet..its really a outstanding card at a very good price..I paid 81.00 total (shipping too)
    Just use google (or what ever you use) and read up about it...Ive been playing SWG with it and it looks great and no hangups

Looking at TomsHardware.com, the Xabre 400 rates in about the range of a GeForce 2 Ti, or a Geforce4 MX. Above a Radeon 7200 but lower than a Radeon 7500.

Now, I don't know how long ago you bought it, but at today's standards you could have gotten a lot more for $81.

• FlipmodeFlipmode Member Posts: 224

Graphics to be good for a reason, If its to make the game more enjoyable, like adding camouflage for for strategic combat, then I find it's ok to go the extra mile. If its to add 15 more pixels in a spell that takes 5 monitors to see it, we have to draw the line there.

fire ze missilez!1111

• darkmandarkman Member UncommonPosts: 767

it indeed get's frusterating when my Ge4 is barely holding me up, and probably in a year, I will have to upgrade again (upgraded last year) to meet the standards. It does annoy me, I don't have a mass amount of money, at the moment probably a $100 I guess, so I can't constantly spend money to upgrade my video cards. I've been trying to save up money so I can just buy a high end GFX card so I don't have to worry for a few years, but With the price announcement of the GE 6800 Ultra at $499, I don't know what kind of high end graphics card I can get in the future.

New PR rep for the North American Version of RYL
    www.planetwidegames.com

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

The unix comments are out of line. What do you think they came up with X for?

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
    John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• AdrealAdreal Member Posts: 2,087
    I would only upgrade if my current card blew up.

Really, I think it's more along the lines of...buying a new card, installing it, failing to dl the game properly, running out of hard drive space when you do dl it, ironically getting sent a free cd of the game, and once put in your drive smoke starts to spew forth from it. When you press the eject button, it drones evily for 20 seconds until it decides to shoot out and then withdraw suddenly as you go to take it out of the drive. By some show of fate, you finally get it installed with enough space on your drive after the smoke clears, and then once you run the game it freezes up for 15 minutes straight and then your screen goes black as your card explodes.  -_-

"Put your foot where your mouth is." - Wisdom from my grandfather
    "Paper or plastic? ... because I'm afraid I'll have to suffocate you unless you put this bag on your head..." - Ethnitrek
    AC1: Wierding from Harvestgain

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I'm a gamer. I've played computer games since the late 1970's when I overheard there was a game on the college's mainframe computer.

Games have always pushed the hardware. I hope they always push the hardware. That first game was a text parser but, it was pushing the hardware then. It's output was only text. But when the only way to get that text is on 136 column wide computer paper? That's a lot of wasted paper!. Monitor workstations didn't arrive for another 2 years.

Nvidia's new card coming out at the end of May is already poised to make the current bleeding edge cards look like GeForce 2s. And CPU speeds will probably be pushing 10ghz well before the end of 2006.

One day I may well end up in a nursing home, but that nursing home better have one hell of a LAN party going!

If you are going to continue to game, you are going to continue to upgrade whatever system you use to game with. Be that a PC or a console. Get used to it.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • RegusRegus Member Posts: 489

You are right but we don't have to like it because it uses a lot of money and not everyone has or is will to pay so much just to play.

I like to have a good graphics card but i want to do some other stuff too and not invest all my money in one thing.

One day all will die, surely you but never I.

"One day all will die, surely you but never I." Wheel of Time

• in my opinion , mmorpg rely more on ram than video card . Let's take a look on Everquest 2 requirements...512 ram minimum and 1gb recommended , they forgot to add...and 2 gb for smooth play
    ::::02::

• TaskyZZTaskyZZ Member Posts: 1,476

That is why there is always the option of turning the resolution down, or setting the graphics detail lower. You can still play on your older hardware, but the people who are willing to spend the money get to have better graphics.

Lets people from both sides of the market play.