Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Shadowbane good?

gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

Ok, please post here, even if you think this game sucks because I want everyone's opinion. Here are some questions:

Is the town/ house building system customizeable?

Is the character template customization customizeable?

Is it an all PVP zone, for example Fellucca In Ultima?

Is it fun?

Is it worth the money?

Thanks guys I really  need to know this stuff before buying the game thanks alot image

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there

Comments

• TaskyZZTaskyZZ Member Posts: 1,476

You can buy this game for $4.99 and play for one month free.

There should be no need to ask, just try it out. I downloaded a free trial and 2 weeks free when I tried it. I did not play for long though. The PKing gankfest is way out of control in this game...

• LrdHadesLrdHades Member UncommonPosts: 164

In Shadowbane its important that you get into a decent guild before you finish all your newbie levels (before lvl 35). To find a good guild, simply use the Shadowbane forums. Use the policital or recruitment forum for the server you play on, and then get yourself into a decent guild.

Yes you will be ganked from time to time, but its not so bad on you if you belong to a guild.

Supreme Leader Hades
    The Imperial Aces
    Discord: https://discord.gg/CjBP4dc

• LypheusLypheus Member UncommonPosts: 82

It depends ... if you ever wanted to feel like one of the Orcs or Humans in a Warcraft game - this is your chance ;) ... Shadowbane has the best balance I've seen in a game like this, it also has a very cool political motif that changes daily. Very cool game, though I'll admit its feeling a bit long in the tooth of late ... what can I say - I like some eyecandy!

• McygeeMcygee Member Posts: 76
    It used to be kind of fun, if you could get past the treadmil leveling that was the same everywhere.  I went back to give it another try, and now it just sucks alltogether because there is nobody in the game anymore.  Finding a group is hard if not impossible to do.  And since they made the game non-solable, there really is no point in playing anymore.

"Getting it is easy. Filling it with illegal substances and sending accross the border is not."
    -Ignignokt

"Getting it is easy. Filling it with illegal substances and sending accross the border is not."
    -Ignignokt

---Playing---
    Asheron's Call

• sir_matthewsir_matthew Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by gargantroo

Ok, please post here, even if you think this game sucks (nope it don't) because I want everyone's opinion. Here are some questions:

Is the town/ house building system customizeable?

Yes, up to some level. Interiors are customizable in terms of furniture, NPCs etc. Then the city itself is customizable for example by how you place the buildings etc., however I can't tell you that much as I haven't build any myself yet image

Is the character template customization customizeable?

Definitely yes. I'd say that it's hard to find 2 person who look the same on a closer look, and if yes, they have different clothing/armor. Also the models of the character grow following their abilities. For example as you raise STR, body of your character will start to be more muscular. As this varies by proffesion, it can be a huge difference in the end.

Is it an all PVP zone, for example Fellucca In Ultima?

Yes, there are kind of "non-PVP" safe zones in an NPC cities and on the newbie island. Rest is only PVP.

Is it fun?

Can't tell generally, it's very specific based on what do you like. But personally, I'm having fun already 2 months and not loosing it yet image To be really honest, I'm kind'a missing crafting from UO or Horizons or the "keyboard-virtous" combat style from DAoC, but it's definitely the best PVP I've ever played and it's fun.

Is it worth the money?

It's one of the bigger, player-proved MMORPG. If DAoC is worth the money, if AC is worth the money, then Shadowbane is worth it too. But I'd suggest to first try the 2 weeks free trial and you'll see more.

Good luck !

• BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Mcygee
    It used to be kind of fun, if you could get past the treadmil leveling that was the same everywhere.  I went back to give it another try, and now it just sucks alltogether because there is nobody in the game anymore.  Finding a group is hard if not impossible to do.  And since they made the game non-solable, there really is no point in playing anymore.

Treadmil... that's new for SB, last time I played I could of swore I got to level 35 in one dayimage

• AnsheAnshe Member Posts: 16

It is a fun game if you like to play as part of a guild, with friends, and like strategies and intelligent enemies (= players).

It will not be for you if you are a loner, anti-social or need lost of pre-fabricated content to keep you engaged. It is not your character or your own house that matters, but the guild and the guild's town as a whole. If you are anti-social then people will shun and even kill you and you can really just quit the game. Mmmm, yes. Interestingly exactly the kinda grieving nasty folks that people in PvE games usually associate with PvP action have a really really hard time in SB ;-) But, yes, SB is lacking PvE content, quests, dungeons and such, so you should all be thrilled by the prospect of guild wars, politics, siege and such or you will feel bored.

Get on my friends list by entering "Anshe Chung" as referal when you sign up to SecondLife :-)

If you sign up to SecondLife entering "Anshe Chung" as referal adds you to my in game friendslist :-)

• GrettirGrettir Member Posts: 40

Shadowbane can be a very good game if played with good friends but keep in mind its a pure pvp game. People that play SB generally have little interest in longterm monster bashing. Its all about the guilds/kindoms and alliances. Politics is what shadowbane end game is all about.

Personally I think Shadowbane has every right to be out there with the mmrpgs finest, it surely has added some nice features to the mmrgps. And hopefully future rpgs will learn from its strong points and faults.

You dont want shadowbane if you like crafting, questing, monsterbashing or soloing. Trading system is not very good imho.

You might however like it if you like pvp, leadership, pking, big sieges and politics.

Making a good template in shadowbane takes practise and if you find some good people to play with then you might end up making a character just for one group of friends.