Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yes you can solo in EQ2!

eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Ok I read in a lot of threads and reviews and one common reason people say they do not like EQ2, is too group oriented and not for those that solo a lot, WRONG! EQ2 has both tons of solo content and tons of group content. I solo a lot in mmorpgs. In EQ2 I have a lvl 70 hunter (not an easy class to solo) He has solo'd 90% of the time all the way to lvl 70 (lvl cap). He also has a top mount, lives in a huge expensive manor house (filled with the most rare collectables in game) and has top armor.

EQ2 is a great game for those that solo a lot but also makes grouping fun and easy when you want that experience. I do not feel I miss out on to much high end gear or content by soloing. That was not the case in WoW. In WoW solo players get locked out of the best stuff. Sure there are somethings you need a group to get in EQ2. However what you get by soloing does not leave you craving for that high end raid gear. EQ2 has balanced that very well. So if you are prone to solo play EQ2 offers lots and does not make you feel you are missing out on much.

Comments

• AmatalAmatal Member UncommonPosts: 184

Originally posted by eccoton

In EQ2 I have a lvl 70 hunter

Did they add a new class to the game while i was sleeping?
    hehe
    But seriously, i mostly solo through the quest lines liking the challenge and not splitting the rewards (i am greedy and cant help it). But there is a LOT of dungeons for wich you should really get a group (and those are not hard to find at all seeing that chat is level based and there is always someone shouting for a group to somewhere).
    Also the part of the thing is knowing what you are capable of soloing. Unlike most other mmorpgs out there the difficulty of the mobs varies greatly depending on their rating at the same level. So you have normal mobs and heroics and then you devide then by difficulty by adding ^^^ to their names, and that is not even mentioning group encounters.
    The one thing to remember is NOT ALL CONTENT is ment to be soloable.
    It would be rather pointless to make a MMO in wich you can solo waltz through heroics never needing a group. I know some poeple would like that (especially ex wow hunters :P) but it is not a development option i would ever like implemented for any game.
    Other thing to take under consideration is class choice. Fact is some classes can solo much faster then the others (and i am not saying better, cause how good you solo depends really on your skill). If you want to solo through the game why on earth would you choose a defiler? ( I did read a rewiev of a person complaining how difficult it was for him to solo anything at higher levels with that class- go figure it is a healing debuffing class....)
    Third and final thing is the gear- game is set with Apprentice IV/handcrafted as the difficulty settings. every spell upgrade and gear upgrade above that will give you a big boost to effectivnes, solo or group wise.
    Anyway to finish it off, just like in most other modern mmo's yes you can solo and be quite effective in EQII

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Sorry Ranger, I was playing WoW this weekend to try out BC.
  • AmatalAmatal Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Bad kitty!
    Bad!
    :D
  • lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810
    There is lots of great solo content, but it’s a little thin in places as well. There isn’t quite content to carry you through 50-70 strictly through solo questing. There is also a thin spot around 20 in EoF. You can fill this in by heading to TS and Nec, but you shouldn’t have to.  

Solo xp is slower and drops tend to be more limited, but I’ve had at least 3 fabled chests drop from solo mobs in my career not counting the solo named in clefts back when they dropped lots. To balance that solo play tends to yield better coin and if you are up to the challenge solo farming of green/blue ^^^ named is the best way to get master I spell drops and can yield some nice legendary/low end fabled gear as well.  
  • fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003
    I soloed my wizzy to lvl 70 with little problem tbh but yes its a great game just a shame the sheep who play the "other" game cant see it
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    People are nuts. Pretty much all I do is solo. Those people that say you can't solo are the people that are trying to do things that are wayyyyyy above their current level.
  • NiberNiber Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by eccoton

Ok I read in a lot of threads and reviews and one common reason people say they do not like EQ2, is too group oriented and not for those that solo a lot, WRONG! EQ2 has both tons of solo content and tons of group content. I solo a lot in mmorpgs. In EQ2 I have a lvl 70 hunter (not an easy class to solo) He has solo'd 90% of the time all the way to lvl 70 (lvl cap). He also has a top mount, lives in a huge expensive manor house (filled with the most rare collectables in game) and has top armor.
    EQ2 is a great game for those that solo a lot but also makes grouping fun and easy when you want that experience. I do not feel I miss out on to much high end gear or content by soloing. That was not the case in WoW. In WoW solo players get locked out of the best stuff. Sure there are somethings you need a group to get in EQ2. However what you get by soloing does not leave you craving for that high end raid gear. EQ2 has balanced that very well. So if you are prone to solo play EQ2 offers lots and does not make you feel you are missing out on much.
    The reason a lot of people said EQ2 is too group oriented is because it  use to be.  They've been dumbing down the game to compete with WoW since launch.
    Originally posted by Niber

The reason a lot of people said EQ2 is too group oriented is because it  use to be.  They've been dumbing down the game to compete with WoW since launch.
    Many “group” mobs were changed to solo mobs in overland zones shortly after release, but most people were already soloing those mobs as a matter of course.  

For most classes the solo mobs out there today present more of a challenging to kill then the group mobs you refer too. Overland group mobs at launch were lone ^^ heroics with little social aggro facing characters who could get both defense and avoidance close to 100%. Typical solo mobs were single down arrow non-heroic. Today’s typical solo mob is a single up arrow pathing near other similar social mobs, while player defenses are capped at 75% and they are typically much lower. 

Remember, a player with 75% mit and avoidance takes 25X as much damage as one with 95% mit and avoidance, and it wasn’t uncommon for people to reach these levels back when overland heroic mobs were much more common.
  • FunkyLasagneFunkyLasagne Member Posts: 339
    Originally posted by Niber

I totally disagree with that statement.  I've been playing since launch and am much more of a solo-oriented player than a group oriented player.  I've never had any real problems soloing or finding somewhere to solo.  There is a lot of rubbish talked about the soloing ability in EQ2 - past and present.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

You could always solo in EQ2.  From release until now ive been doing it.  Granted though that it is slightly easier now than what it was in the early days.

Solo quest content dried up for me mid 60's so i struggled a bit to level and it took me a lot longer.  But with EoF theres no worries now and i was able to get a ton more solo content to help me get my first character ever to the level cap.

• WantsumBierWantsumBier Member Posts: 1,079

I have a monk and a necro and solo about 99% of the time.  I have had few problems along the way. The Necro seemed to lvl really quick compared to the Monk, but now I seem to be having some problems.  I think it is just trying to adjust from a fighter to a mage.

My monk is around lvl 40 and the necro is 24 ish.  Both are a blast to play!

I shoot for the curve... anything above that is gravy.

• FinduilasFinduilas Member Posts: 377
    It's "technically" possible to solo to max level with any class in EQ2 due to a variety of solo content.

It depends what you mean by solo. Some classes can solo far better than others, thus can hunt in more places and achieve more.

My ranger could solo "solo" content, and group, or heroic, once it went seriously green. But my conjuror burns through solo content without breaking a sweat and can take on green group content, with a little concentration. My ranger struggled against named heroics, my conjuror can kill them fairly easily. My ranger had to steer clear of most indoor zones, since they are full of group mobs, and aggro issues made it impossible. My conjuror can "survive" there, although only when the mobs are green, and even then it can be tough, due to aggro.

Much of the content is just not available at the level where you get XP and loot because of mob crowding, aggro, and the difficulty of soloing more than one triple herioc mob at a time.

If, like me, you like to solo, you can, but pick class that is good at it, and expect to be limited even so in what you can do.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I'm thinking of moving from WoW to EQ2, I solo most of the time... As I'm not that knowledgable about EQ classes, what would you reccomend as a good starting class... In WoW, I have a Warlock, Hunter and Rogue, Warlock being my favorite.
    If you like Warlocks in WoW and you like to solo you should play either a necro or a conjurer. Both are pet classes and excellent for solo play. 

Another possibility is a Coercer, for solo play they have charms which allow them to turn a mob into a pet. It’s a little riskier, due to the possibility of the charm breaking mid fight. You also need a good quality charm spell and Master I charms are very rare, but if you charm the right mob your charmed pet is more powerful then the conj or necro pets.    

Rangers are kind of like hunters with more DPS but without the pet. Along with their cousin the Assassin they are probably closer to the WoW rogue. They both have a number of positional attacks which slows their DPS a lot in solo play. You also have Brignads and Swashbucklers who don’t have quite the same DPS as Rangers/Assassins but have more utility. They bring great debuffs, group stealth, and a little tanking ability. 

All four do ok solo but are not really in the first tier. If you want to solo a melee type try monk, bruiser or maybe shadowknight. 

The other top soloer are the root&nuke types. Wizards, Wardens and to a certain extent Warlocks. They get a lot of attention because they can solo group mobs 3-4 levels above their own, but like many things it isn’t quite as easy as it sounds.  Killing a mob isn’t that hard, but getting him away from potential adds is a serious challenge and it’s slow because you only use a couple of attacks. They also tend to be late bloomers because they need the better roots and nukes that don’t come until later levels.