Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Warrior Class? Best Tank Class?

EzrydyrEzrydyr Member Posts: 49

I started off trying the dark elf warrior - figuring they would be the most heavy duty offensive powerhouse class this gama has.  The dark elf does pretty good, but is tied to magic and specials a lot.  In order to take out a tough MOB, I often found myself changing weapons three times (minimum) and using a boatload of magic points to use the specials associated with each weapon type.  Add in, that mortal blow is chancey, at best, and the dark elf becomes an iffy damage dealer, in my opinion.

I then tried the orc warrior.  I found that the orc warrior with gloves was taking out MOBs more easily than the dark elf, with half the muss and fuss.  I mean, it was select enemy, attack, use your fist special, watch the MOB get pummeled.  And, the MPs I used mostly replenished during the fight. 

So,  it looks like Orcs may be a pretty good offensive powerhouse, while the dark elves seem to be a bit more chancey.  Now, both are really just damage dealers, becuase neither one has a higher level special to pull hate. 

So, I am wondering the following:

1.  What have other folsk experiences been with the various warrior races and classes?

2.  What is the best damage dealer race/class?

3.  What is the best tank race/class?

image Ez image

EZ

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history -- with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila" --Mitch Ratliffe

Comments

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

1.  Dark Elves are huge on damage but it depends on class, level, and choice of weapon.  As Palus Knights (the mid level warrior class) they do indeed get hate skills which they can level up quite a bit.  On the negative side they dont really make good tanks since they have the lowest hp of the races.

2.  Dark Elf Abyss Walker is in most circumstances the highest damage class in the game.  There is debate about damage over time since they depend on MP a lot to keep their damage high but when it comes to quick massive amounts of damage nobody can really match them.  As a rogue class they of course do a great deal more damage in a group then solo.

3.  From what I have seen and read Humans make some of the best tanks in the game.  They have a great deal of hp and decent ability to create hate.  Orcs also make great tanks in PvE since some of their classes are the top hp in the game.  Against pvp their speed can be a little limiting but not bad.

• Rad_RooferRad_Roofer Member Posts: 153

I'm an Orc Warrior....Raider....using a blunt weapon and shield.

In PvP battle, we are very even with all the other classes I've faced.  The only one that consistently beat me was any freakin' mage with stun, or ice, or anything that slow my running.  The Orc is already the slowest character in the game, and this just kills me!

In PvE battle, we are by no means the top.  We do tank very very well, but our down-time is increased just that much.

Just a little note on Orcs.

http://www.simulatedsports.com

http://www.hattrick.org

---------------------------------------------

• DakkanonDakkanon Member Posts: 289

Best Warrior class would be either Orc or DE. High Elves are weak, but fast, which at end are weak. DE's are powerful, in which they dish out more dmg and able to handle themselves well. Same goes with Orcs. Human Warriors are smack dab in the middle of High Elves and Dark Elves. They aren't as fast as high Elves, and not as powerful as Orc or DE, but they make decient melee dmg dealers.

Tanks wise, Human Paladin. You alone can tank, have the HP and armor buffs to withstand an assault. How long is the question. DE Knights lack HP, as misti mentioned, but with matters is armor. Get the best possible P.Def. They do dmg, but no where near a warrior would. in PvP, a Knight may out last a warrior one on one. At least I have so far.

http://lineage2.universalrealms.com/forum/download.aspx?id=195&MessageID=37737

-Dakkanon
    LineageII Knight of Dark Lotus

-Dakkanon
    Paradigm, an Accretia Clan

• wystanwystan Member Posts: 68

i believe the dmg dealers go somthing like abyss walker,gladiator, any archer(will be nerfed soon, and tyrant(very slow)

and tanks would have to be orc desroyer,  paladin and maybe dark aveng, temple knight and shillian night

• DakkanonDakkanon Member Posts: 289
    I was led to believe that DE Elf and Human knight classes were the only classes with hate, not Orc

-Dakkanon
    LineageII Knight of Dark Lotus

-Dakkanon
    Paradigm, an Accretia Clan

• EzrydyrEzrydyr Member Posts: 49

That is correct.  According to thje skill list on Warcry, Orcs do not have a hate skill.  But, dealing damage, in and of itself, does build hate.... image

image Ez image

EZ

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history -- with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila" --Mitch Ratliffe

EZ

• ArleonenisArleonenis Member Posts: 69

Best tank human knight than either paladin or dark avenger (paladin have bonus to fight undead but avenger skills imho are better balanced)
    Orc isnt a tank class but damage dealer and he is good in sieges, he cant tank becouse he dont have hate and if mage is in trouble (to quick on spell) he cant help him as he cant do enough damage in short enough time to kill mobs, especially when mage is smart enough to run, orc cant be fast enough to catch mob
    Orcs are from begining very easy to kill by mages, when they slow them down even speed potion dont help them and they should always have at least one (they arent cheap)
    Dark elf and elves are not good tanks at all to small number of hp
    Dwarves could tank theoretically but lack of hate could be deadly as with orcs, they are good with spears in sieges and battles (hit multiples enemies)

DE blade dancer is damage dealer that is needed in party (his boofs) only fighter profession of de that is really usefull
    Human warior -> gladiator, lots of damage, pure damage dealer (he work on mp strictly so in longer fight he could be in trouble if he dont use mp wisely); warlord is not better than dwarve in pure combat, and dwarve have good cash makeing abilities;)

mages: de and elven, human only bishop is usefull (buffer)

archers: de and elves, human archer is a laugh

about dagger users i dont know much never tried them, and i will not (i stoped playing l2, to boring for me (read: repetitive))

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

Arleonenis, can you name for me a MMORPG that is not reptitive? Because I really don't know any. image
    Even Planetside is repetitive and thats a FPS. All MMORPGs to date do require the killing of countless monsters to gain level in order to get to the end game appeal. (We are excluding The Sims in this because there is no killing at all and no levels) It would be nice if they would come up with alternative ways to level. Like better quests that give more XP. Or perhaps a job system that would give you XP. But yes, all MMORPGs are repetitive, if you know one that is not. please inform me. I would love to play it.(Guild Wars dosn't count, its not out yet)

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

DE blade dancer is not a damage dealer period.  They do enhance a groups damage as a whole a great deal with their buffs but their own damage is not significant next to classes like Abyss Walker.

Human gladiators are great for damage but they dont really compare to Abyss Walkers who have multiple skills that do more damage then the gladiators hardest hitting ability.

As with most fantasy mmorpgs the rogue/dagger classes are the damage leaders when in groups.

• Rad_RooferRad_Roofer Member Posts: 153

I don't think Guild Wars is even appealing!  You'll have no interaction with anyone else besides YOUR GROUP when your questing.

You can interact with others at the main city....but that is it.  And it isn't an attractive PvP setting!  It goes back to the challenging to a duo concept!

---------------------------------------------

• EzrydyrEzrydyr Member Posts: 49

Well, based on the previous discussions, it looks like a lot of these classes are pretty well balanced. 

Still, every seems to be saying orcs are too slow.  Now, maybe it's just a low level thing, but when you figure in the multiple attacks that an orc can get with gloves, and their gloves related combat buffs, doesn't that make up for a lot in combat speed?

Or, is everyone talking about foot speed?  As in "Naah! Naah! You can't catch me! You slow lumbering Orc freak of nature!" image

image Ez image

EZ

EZ

I was talking about foot speed.  Overall I think they are very well balanced.  Orcs make up for their plodding movement with tons of hp and some great skills.

• MaxxxMaxxx Member UncommonPosts: 389

Best tank is the Temple Knight in Chronicle 1!

The cubics AI is fixed.
    Shields are based on DEX = lots of blocking
    Life Cubic = UBer!

Maxxx - Sieghardt - 3x Elf Scout - Lineage2