Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone noticed Smedley doesn't even play this game?

2»

Comments

• FrenzFrenz Member Posts: 48

Yeah I agree but getting a new job that pays enough to cover his financial obligations and doesn't require him to uproot his family might not be so easy.

Might be why he has left now?

• BogdawsonBogdawson Member Posts: 202
    i blame all the swg staff for it, first when the powers that be say do it , you should had said well we have 36 professions now and you want to give them 9, hello that might make people mad. second when they told them to put it live someone should had said well smed, torres i think you should play it first cause it's fucked. At my job when something isn't working, guess what, I tell my boss and i give him solutions and even if he doesn't go with any of my ideas the problem gets fixed, because we work out the best solution. that's how stuff gets fixed, find the problem and fix it.
  • iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143
    Originally posted by Dundee

Originally posted by iskareot

Yeah but Jeff you have to admit the "Once bitten twice shy" part is somewhat fair.
    While "Cat" is as harsh as I am sometimes he is also serious and or being realistic in saying that there is alot of people that rightfully so will steer clear from projects involving people that did what they did to SWG.
    Problem is, you don't know who did what.

Understood BUT since we saw some vocal points made on the boards, also I know sure as Hell whom said what to me at the Summit meetings...  I can honestly say that it does not matter like it was said in this thread.

For instance, Grant actually came forward and said the "Free Jedi" debate was a rough one... he seemed more "cannon" himself... in fact if I had to bet on it, I think he was one that did not like the idea of free Jedi just from his comments made at the Summit.

However, I also think he had no choice and his voice was over ridden with the marketing team and the "Carrot" of free Jedi to get people to stick it out or play into the NGE... when I found out at the Summit that this was a major reason Jedi was given away without effort it was a dissapointment to us there, so much that the entire crowd roared at this choice and pretty much let the team know how they felt about this as they hung thier heads down on this one.

None the less...  I think we know enough to be dangerous.    I know that the team (Of course being told what to do) made this happen.

That is, the risk they take (such as yourself) putting your name behind a product just like everyone else in the world does with other products will of course be part of the fallout or damage done.

While I agree it sucks... I also guess the only thing left to do is what your doing now and talk about it some explain what you can so people can understand it better and move on some.

Nothing wrong with being gunshy over this though at all..   BUT using logic, somthing tells me you won't see somthing like this done ever again from SOE at least..lol

Herpes...lol and the NGE.... ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT HERPES!

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

Yeah, we gave them hell in Indianapolis. And the Devs there did not have much in the way of good answers to any tough questions.

I spoke to Grant 1 on 1 for a considerable amount of time, and the impression I got was that he more or less felt the way I did about the NGE but was forced to go that way anyway.

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249

• ShiloFieldsShiloFields Member Posts: 252

The NGE impacts SOE/LA credibility a couple of ways:

1.  It was developed in secret, with the knowledge that at least a substantial percentage of SWG players would hate it, and in an attempt to attract a different market segment.  (if no one else, crafters and pre-NGE Jedi).  Essentially, by developing the NGE in secret, SOE/LA got the benefit of several months of subscription dollars from player they had decided to abandon.  For example, had SOE/LA annouced the general outlines of the NGE when development was started, I know I would have cancelled on the spot.   Yet, since it was developed in seceret, I didn't cancel until November 3rd, or whenever the story finally leaked.  I fell confident that SOE/LA knew that many players would do this also and that is primarily why the NGE was developed in secret.

2.  The NGE did the unthinkable in a MMO--it completely invalidated the acheivment of a large segment of its players.  MMOs are in large part about acheiving things.   If you cannot trust a MMO developer to honor your in game acheivment, why acheive anything in game, and if you don't acheive anything, why play.

Some changes the NGE made, while stupid, don't necessarily bear on SOE/LA's credibilty, but these two things the NGE did are just down right dirty. 

I just don't see how SOE/LA can repair its credibility with former SWG players.  If they are willing to do these things, how can we every trust them in the future.

• MrArchyMrArchy Member Posts: 643
    Originally posted by ShiloFields

The NGE impacts SOE/LA credibility a couple of ways:
    1.  It was developed in secret, with the knowledge that at least a substantial percentage of SWG players would hate it, and in an attempt to attract a different market segment.  (if no one else, crafters and pre-NGE Jedi).  Essentially, by developing the NGE in secret, SOE/LA got the benefit of several months of subscription dollars from player they had decided to abandon.  For example, had SOE/LA annouced the general outlines of the NGE when development was started, I know I would have cancelled on the spot.   Yet, since it was developed in seceret, I didn't cancel until November 3rd, or whenever the story finally leaked.  I fell confident that SOE/LA knew that many players would do this also and that is primarily why the NGE was developed in secret.
    2.  The NGE did the unthinkable in a MMO--it completely invalidated the acheivment of a large segment of its players.  MMOs are in large part about acheiving things.   If you cannot trust a MMO developer to honor your in game acheivment, why acheive anything in game, and if you don't acheive anything, why play.
    Some changes the NGE made, while stupid, don't necessarily bear on SOE/LA's credibilty, but these two things the NGE did are just down right dirty. 
    I just don't see how SOE/LA can repair its credibility with former SWG players.  If they are willing to do these things, how can we every trust them in the future.

/QFE x 1000

great points ShiloFields, I especially like the clarity with which you make your second point.  Great post.

To Mr. Freeman,

While I don't agree with everything you say or have (purportedly or admittedly) done, I will concede that by coming here and standing up for your principles and past actions in a very hostile environment you have at least earned a few measure of grudging respect from me.  Thank you for being one of the very few who are willing to take one in the chest in the manner you have.  While I will remain hostile to a degree to $OE, SWG: NGE, and the devs who are generally perceived as being the culprits behind the NGE, I will at least try to be a bit more open-minded about such in the future.  I only wish some of the others similarly involved with this NGE fiasco would follow your example.

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
    NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
    Now Playing: World of Warcrack
    Forum Terrorist