Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warning : L2 Does Not Support Microsoft Vista

MishtalMishtal Member Posts: 45

Hi Everyone,

I recently upgraded my computer and ended up getting Windows Vista installed since i figured you know.. time to upgrade... Well to my lovely surprise Lineage 2 does not run on Vista...

First.. when you run the game you get an error message about something not initializing (im at work so i dont have the message with me now..) If you leave the error message on the screen and run L2 again.. then you get in without the error message... but it doesn't end there...

Once you're in.. you can see the familiar Login screen but instead you get a message Error ID:610 from gameguard. Saying that you are using a hacking tool.. Looking at the NCSOFT website you are suggested to turn off any firewall.. anti virus.. and to the extreme if that didn't work.. then uninstall them... so i did... because you know.. it be fun to play my BladeDance and use the 3 months i have left on my PAID subscription.... no luck.. then i tried to delete the gameguard folder and let it "update itself" when doing the file check.. but sadly no luck...

So here i email NCSOFT support... quick reply... i'll give them that.. but their official answer "Vista not supported.. can't help you".

So unless someone can help.. (i can post DXDIAGS and screenshots later) or someone fixed this.. then i'm retiring from L2... sad.. i really enjoyed the game...

Comments

• leowyattleowyatt Member Posts: 129
    Wow bad news man but thank you for the heads up.  I was going to buy vista this weekend after payday.  I don't know enough about compies to help with a dxdiag so I hope someone comes along to help u out but I do appreciate the info on vista.
  • KirithiaKirithia Member Posts: 18
    Nope and your troubles wont end with L2 I'm afraid. Do a Google search on "Vista Problems" and you'll get a whole list of hundreds of native XP and older programs that won't run under Vista. My best suggestion to anyone thinking of upgrading is don't....pure and simple. You'll find that a lot of your existing programs are not supported by Vista. It took Microsoft and software companies over a year and a half to get a lot of programs to run under XP when it first came out and Vista will be no different. Actually there are a lot of Win98 programs that still wont run under XP. All I have to say to anyone thinking of upgrading to Vista is...I wish you lots of luck because your gonna need it.

• phaydeephaydee Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Mishtal

Hi Everyone,
    I recently upgraded my computer and ended up getting Windows Vista installed since i figured you know.. time to upgrade... Well to my lovely surprise Lineage 2 does not run on Vista...
    First.. when you run the game you get an error message about something not initializing (im at work so i dont have the message with me now..) If you leave the error message on the screen and run L2 again.. then you get in without the error message... but it doesn't end there...
    Once you're in.. you can see the familiar Login screen but instead you get a message Error ID:610 from gameguard. Saying that you are using a hacking tool.. Looking at the NCSOFT website you are suggested to turn off any firewall.. anti virus.. and to the extreme if that didn't work.. then uninstall them... so i did... because you know.. it be fun to play my BladeDance and use the 3 months i have left on my PAID subscription.... no luck.. then i tried to delete the gameguard folder and let it "update itself" when doing the file check.. but sadly no luck...
    So here i email NCSOFT support... quick reply... i'll give them that.. but their official answer "Vista not supported.. can't help you".
    So unless someone can help.. (i can post DXDIAGS and screenshots later) or someone fixed this.. then i'm retiring from L2... sad.. i really enjoyed the game...

that sucks man...  sorry to hear that.
  • ginfress01ginfress01 Member Posts: 203
    Yup installing vista means no more l2.
  • BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821
    It was working perfectly when I used the 32bit version of Vista, 1 month ago.

But since I have upgraded to Vista x64 it is not working anymore.
  • DestroyeronDestroyeron Member Posts: 79
    Dual boot...dual boot.  
  • ChoniclesChonicles Member Posts: 54

Please do some research before you post about stuff you know nothing about. The error you are getting has nothing to do with Vista. It is Gamegaurd NC has been having an issue with GG since a update they put out about a month ago. This problem has hit XP users as well. Some get the error some don't and no one knows why. To work around this start client as normal then when it errors go to l2.exe located in the lineage system folder and run it. the game will run as normal then.

Once again Nice job NC for Game Gaurd slows systems, errors system and does not stop bots.

"EDIT" If you do not beleave me look at the L2 forums under support also I use have been running Vista. Plays great just make sure you have 1 gig or more of ram.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by Chonicles

Please do some research before you post about stuff you know nothing about. The error you are getting has nothing to do with Vista. It is Gamegaurd NC has been having an issue with GG since a update they put out about a month ago. This problem has hit XP users as well. Some get the error some don't and no one knows why. To work around this start client as normal then when it errors go to l2.exe located in the lineage system folder and run it. the game will run as normal then.

Once again Nice job NC for Game Gaurd slows systems, errors system and does not stop bots.

"EDIT" If you do not beleave me look at the L2 forums under support also I use have been running Vista. Plays great just make sure you have 1 gig or more of ram.

Such a harsh reply.... its understandable that the OP assumed he was having a Vista compatibility issue since he did not experience the issue until he upgraded.  Especially since you state its a "magic" problem, ie. root cause still not identified. (and obviously not all that well known either)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AbolithAbolith Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Chonicles

Such a harsh reply.... its understandable that the OP assumed he was having a Vista compatibility issue since he did not experience the issue until he upgraded.  Especially since you state its a "magic" problem, ie. root cause still not identified. (and obviously not all that well known either)

Harsh reply?  What are you smoking?  The reply states that the problem is not with Lineage 2 and Vista, it is in FACT Gameguard that is causing the game to not run since Vista picks it up as "spyware" or as a malicious program.  Do you not know what Gamegaurd is?  Please learn to comprehend what you've read before making comments like this.

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Try opening up the app properties on the shortcut and set the system to run in 'XP Compatibility' mode.

That might allow it to work.

Sound, however, may still be a problem.

• BiZzXBiZzX Member Posts: 19
    Well Windows Vista kinda Copied Some things in Mac OS10 or whatever, so i don't care for it. not a  mac fan, but ill use anything just aslong as i can play L2. NO Vista!
  • JukanJukan Member UncommonPosts: 325
    To tell you the truth, if you aren't going to be playing games that use Direct X 10, I would just play them on Windows XP. Vista uses lots of resources, and you would be better off using XP to run pre DX10 games. So a dual boot system is the way to go. Esspecially now that Vista still has some driver issues, etc. etc.

It will probally be a matter of time when a Vista patch is made, maybe when vista seems more "complete" and people actually decide to start switching over to it more readily. I would say within the next 4 months or so L2 will be playable on vista.

But like I said, you you are just playing DX9 games, just use XP and save those extra resources for actually running the game.
  • Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 395
    of course it doesnt support it ....only god knows how old that game is....they might make it compatible with a patch or something but right now i dont see the need of purchasing w vista at all