Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does this compare to Voyage Century Online?

Greets.

How does this compare to Voyage Century Online? VCO is a free-2-play generic "Pirates!" clone of sorts - with some interesting elements.

How much of a clone is PotBS to the original "Pirates!" (by Sid Myer I believe)? I played the C=64/CD32 versions in the "golden days" of computing. :)

Thanks.

PS. Anyone have a spare Beta key? Thanks. :)

Comments

• pschumac2pschumac2 Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by ssnautilus

Greets.

How does this compare to Voyage Century Online? VCO is a free-2-play generic "Pirates!" clone of sorts - with some interesting elements.

How much of a clone is PotBS to the original "Pirates!" (by Sid Myer I believe)? I played the C=64/CD32 versions in the "golden days" of computing. :)

Thanks.

PS. Anyone have a spare Beta key? Thanks. :)

Well think of drinking a nice glass of wine then think of drinking spoiled grapejuice.  Thats about the difference between VCO and POTBS.  They have 3+ years worth of dev logs for you to look through and see all the differences between the games.

All naval games set in the same time settings can be somewhat considered a clone but none of them really are.  They use the same time setting and yeah they are at sea but what makes a game is a whole lot more then just that.

If you even remotely enjoyed VCO (or afking while your avatar did something) you will probably crap yourself when you play POTBS.

• KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450
    Couldnt have said it better myself.
  • TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
              I guess it all boils down to how you like to have fun. There are so many styles of players. Some people are methodical multi-taskers who have plans for the week. Such as plotting that expedition on your way to accra while dropping off that ivory you bought then farming in Madeira on the way. Meanwhile some other players feel more like sitting down, having some sea combat and gobbling up gobs of missions in a short period of time. There are even the power grinders which like to sit and do dozens on missions or one HUGE mission in a 8 hour period of time.

Depending on what your play style is VCO really appeals to the RTS players it seems. Farming, Mining, Crafting and trading in VCO definitely takes some long term patient planning. Sure you can finish it in stints of play but its a LOOOooooonnng task usually. Missions tend to be spread out and relatively rare. So VCO just feels slower and relaxing almost.

Potbs is a TOTALLY different beast. Right off the bat you get the sense the worlds alive. The environments are simply stunning. Theres alot of missions as the recent article on Potbs say. Its simply a more serious game. Not that all people want to have a serious game. Alot of people like to log in and have the game just be there and not really take all there attention.

I think in the end Ill probably play both games because some nights I like to relax and do some naval duties on VCO and then farm for the guild. I can see the long term and its a bright future! On Potbs I cant wait to see whats around the next corner! I love exploring the islands! I LOVE the graphics! It feels my need to get my blood moving. Not to mention the SHIPS! THE SHIPS ARE AWESOME!

Well thats my analysis so far
  • SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111
    VCO has item shops. Stay away from games with item shops.

The item mall has barely had any affect on the overall pvp scene so far. Reveant, SeaEmpire, Blackhands and the various power guilds are to unorganized to be any threat and generally dont even use Item mall items. Not to mention all of the high level items are player made. At best the item mall items just let you catch up a bit faster. As for grind, thats a personal choice. Ill repeat that over and over. You decide to grind. Hunt what you want. See the sites you want to see. Dont let any artifical goal inhibit your progress because in the end youll get your level 10 ship the same as everyone else and those City battles will be waiting for ya. Enjoy yourself on the path to power. OH and a big word of advice, SHARE! For the love of pete! If one of the super guilds would put a resource sharing policy into place like my guild wed see athens owned already!
  • BlindGraveBlindGrave Member Posts: 7

VCO is just another Mindless Grinder MMO. It is based on a world map but has only 41 ports. no ports in North america, or south america, or any of the poles,or australia and 10 ports in Africa. Not only does it only have 41 ports in a world map, but also the language is incorrect for it is filled with spelling errors, the quests are very bugged, not to mention the crummy PvP system that noone can figure out.

In PotBS you will not have to grind your way through lvls. Instead you will have to do some of the 1000s of quests that they have made.The combat will be unique and the ships on PotBS will be historicly accurate.The Graphics will be way better then VCO. PotBS actually has character customization while VCO has you choose a character and then you choose a hair style, thats all. I was also reading over a interview with one of the devs of VCO and he just about lied about evrything on it.  He said that PotBS will hav no exploring but only pirates and VCO will have merchants, exploring, and navy sure they have those but they are filled with bugs. PotBS has evrything plus way more. Not to mention that they will have more than 100 ports in the caribbean while VCO only has 41 in the world.

So to compare the two here it is.

VCO : PotBS= A lump of coal : A dimond

• stickmstickm Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by BlindGrave

VCO is just another Mindless Grinder MMO. It is based on a world map but has only 41 ports. no ports in North america, or south america, or any of the poles,or australia and 10 ports in Africa. Not only does it only have 41 ports in a world map, but also the language is incorrect for it is filled with spelling errors, the quests are very bugged, not to mention the crummy PvP system that noone can figure out.
    In PotBS you will not have to grind your way through lvls. Instead you will have to do some of the 1000s of quests that they have made.The combat will be unique and the ships on PotBS will be historicly accurate.The Graphics will be way better then VCO. PotBS actually has character customization while VCO has you choose a character and then you choose a hair style, thats all. I was also reading over a interview with one of the devs of VCO and he just about lied about evrything on it.  He said that PotBS will hav no exploring but only pirates and VCO will have merchants, exploring, and navy sure they have those but they are filled with bugs. PotBS has evrything plus way more. Not to mention that they will have more than 100 ports in the caribbean while VCO only has 41 in the world.
    ya because a historically accurate game would have ports in north america.... LOL. What are the ports called in north america in potbs?
  • fastback67fastback67 Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by stickm

Originally posted by BlindGrave

ya because a historically accurate game would have ports in north america.... LOL. What are the ports called in north america in potbs?

New Orleans off the top of my head. I'd have to look up the rest.

• -Thraxor--Thraxor- Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Interesting reading from those who actually provided information about the differences between the two games.

VCO is actually pretty fun and interesting due to the fact it's something different than the standard orc n elves fantasy games or the few assorted FPS ones.

VCO won't set the MMO world on fire but for a free game its interesting and a nice alternative from the rest of the MMO norm.

Now if I could only score a Beta Key for PotBS I'd be more than happy to point out the advantages/improvements from a fee based MMO over a free one with similar gameplay
  • skunkheadskunkhead Member Posts: 6
    i'd like to hear from a beta tester too, about how potbs is better.all i keep hearing how better it looks......VC is great for a free game.pvp is good too as its open.starts once u hit lvl 31 or a lvl 4 ship.which is easy to get.only grind is the melee combat,rest of skills are easy to lvl.oh theirs a jail system too hehe.so if all potba is better than vc for its looks , think i'll stick with the free game for my pirate needs
  • ZebraFinchZebraFinch Member Posts: 27
    stop comparing VCO to POTBS .. they both stil in betas !!
  • lanningjlanningj Member Posts: 2
    VCO is running a total scam.  Their forums are censored communist-style, their "free game" has an item mall, and their GMs can't speak English, to name a few issues.  Their biggest claims to fame are being the "first nautical MMO", which they actually weren't, and being free, which it isn't.

For PotBS obviously it's speculation at this point, as closed beta continues.  Get involved over at their forums though (flyinglab.com/forums/index.php), and you will begin to notice a tremendous difference between the games already.
    The Dapper Finch ARRIVES! Welcome to Mmorpg. If any of you are from VCO you'll know hes a great fellow

In anycase as much as I love VCO, I think hes right. The games shouldn't be compared at this stage.

To be honest we who enjoy the nautical mmorpg's should be overjoyed with the sudden release of some many

games with the theme. It only gives the genre a better chance to progress. We as gamers have a great oppurtunity

to show that mmorpg's dont have to be just sci-fi shooters. They can inspire entirely different environments.

Anywho I cant wait to get into Potbs. I really would like to pilot a few sloops I saw being designed in the UC department

on the POTBS forums. In particular the flying dragon. Just beautiful!
  • The+BanditThe+Bandit Member Posts: 21
    I hope PotBS is alot better then VoC or w/e its called because I played it for a while and just hated it. It isn't a very newbie friendly game and it doesn't point you in the direction to any quests, i hated it. Hopefully PotBS is alot better.

Want to be a powerful knight?
    >>>Click Here<<<

• MogwaMogwa Member Posts: 36
    Im sure the differance will be that PoTBS will have people playing it :)

M
        The Quest system is city/level Teired. You can access the Guild leader tasks in the beginner cities from level 1 to 300. These cities include Istanbul, Beirut, Athens and Alexandria. After you get a total of 301 levels you can access missions in many other cities. As your total levels progress you gain more missions. Pretty simple eh? As for being newbie friendly, for me it was very newbie friendly. Then again I was asking people questions and got answer.

I honestly think POTBS is going to have at least a stable 50k of subscribers within a year of release. Maybe a bit more. Respectable to say the least. Hopefully it will just keep growing like Eve has. Heck even VC has at least around 10k of players, not including alts.

The question arises, will it keep its subscribers? THAT is the real question!
  • RobbHoodRobbHood Member Posts: 58
    Voyage was very arcadish.  I could never get use to the click a spot to move  idea.