Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARENA TOURNAMENT

AkiraxAkirax Member Posts: 14

Blizzard OE stated:

Arena!

Tournament Preview

We’re pleased to announce our plans for the inaugural World of Warcraft Arena Tournament, scheduled to begin on February 16 in Europe and North America and March 3 in Korea. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade players in these regions who consider themselves to be among the best in the game at player-vs.-player (PvP) combat will soon be able to prove it to the rest of the world. Will you and the rest of your team be up to the challenge? If so, gather your cohorts and begin preparing for the largest World of Warcraft competition ever held.

Ladders

All teams participating in 5-vs.-5 Arena System matches in each battlegroup will be competing for a chance to participate in the qualifiers (see below) for each region. This initial phase of the tournament will last from February 16 to April 15 in North America and Europe and March 3 to April 15 in Korea. Soon after the tournament begins, we will begin posting the rankings for each battlegroup on the regional community websites so players and spectators can track each team’s progress. Determination for the qualifiers will be based on the total number of realms in an individual battlegroup and the number of players in the battlegroup. It’s possible that there may be more than one team selected per battlegroup to compete in each region’s qualifier.

Qualifiers

Following the end of the ladder phase of the tournament on April 15, the top-ranked team(s) from each battlegroup will be selected to participate in the qualifiers, as discussed above. Each of these teams will be copied to a private realm in the corresponding region (Europe, North America, and Korea), where they will compete with the other qualifying teams from that region’s battlegroups. The qualifier round will run from April 20 to May 4 and will utilize the same ranking system as the ladders. At the end of the qualifier round, the top 8 teams from each region will be chosen to participate in live regional events for Europe, North America, and Korea (see below).

Regionals

Separate live regional events will be held for Europe, Korea, and North America. The actual dates and venues for the events will be announced at a later time. As discussed above, each regional event will consist of the top 8 teams for the region, as determined by the final rankings after the qualifying events. The winners of each regional event (more than likely a different number of teams from each region) will be invited to the World of Warcraft Season 1 global finals event.

Global Final Event

A global finals event will be held to determine the best World of Warcraft PvP team in the world. The final combatants from each region will compete against each other in this event, and the team that comes out victorious will be crowned the undisputed world champion of the inaugural World of Warcraft Arena Tournament.

This is defently going to be the best event in World of Warcraft.

What do you think?

"Jack-of-all-trades-Master-of-none"

Comments

• AndoraeAndorae Member Posts: 103
    me and mates of mine have made our team, we are planning reaching the finals and kickass! :D
  • GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486
    Would be really cool to partipacate (misspellt?) in this event, but I'm still lvl 64. Would be cool if u culd meet guys like Vurtne when fighting in the arena. I would probably lose pretty hard if I tried to join tho. Thanx for the post.

Vurtne? whos dat, i guess hes a forumite here? :P

if so, yea you could meet him if you make it to the finals since i believe it was a worldwide competition. :P
  • ajaxxajaxx Member Posts: 476
      Should be interesting to see what the class/race makeups are of the winners.  I also wonder if they plan on streaming matches and having live commentators like WC3/SC tourneys.
  • PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646
    Originally posted by ajaxx

I also wonder if they plan on streaming matches and having live commentators like WC3/SC tourneys.
    I'm pretty sure they will do that with the regionals and the finals.
  • GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by Andorae
    Vurtne? whos dat, i guess hes a forumite here? :P
    if so, yea you could meet him if you make it to the finals since i believe it was a worldwide competition. :P

I see your not a visitor to WCM(=www.Warcrftmovies.com). Vurtne is known as one of the best PvPers ever, he's extremly famous at WCM. Check out www.warcraftmovies.com and search for "Vurtne" and u can watch some of his movies.

Should be interesting to see what the class/race makeups are of the winners. I also wonder if they plan on streaming matches and having live commentators like WC3/SC tourneys.
    http://www.mmorpgforum.com/showthread.php?t=826 Check this post out for, what I think, is an answer to ur question about live commenting. The person who asked is Dopefish, yet another famous player.
    Dopefish is the creator of Nogg-Aholic and is most famous for his movie where he shows some exploits on a private server. Nogg-Aholic is behind many different kind of projects, like making Bighead-mode in WoW. Sadly tho, they quit the community some time ago and therefore they're projects will never be finished.

• sitheussitheus Member Posts: 230
    Just wandering if you have to compete with your current gear or will there be arena gear you receive to use in arenas only  which would allow you to bypass the grinding for gear. It just seems if you have to use your current gear then players will be dungeon crawling like mad to get gear they will need in the arenas to at least be competitive. If that grinding for gear is required since gear and stats attributes to a significant percentage of wining or losing in WoW PvP then probably only teams made up of people like that guy who hit lvl 70 in 28 hrs after buying TBC will become the champions easily since they obvioulsy can literally grind for gear 24/7. Though its a nice idea to have tournaments and global PvP champions, it seems like its another way to keep people grinding and subscribing, but if players are happy with that then so be it. 
    Originally posted by sitheus

Just wandering if you have to compete with your current gear or will there be arena gear you receive to use in arenas only  which would allow you to bypass the grinding for gear. It just seems if you have to use your current gear then players will be dungeon crawling like mad to get gear they will need in the arenas to at least be competitive. If that grinding for gear is required since gear and stats attributes to a significant percentage of wining or losing in WoW PvP then probably only teams made up of people like that guy who hit lvl 70 in 28 hrs after buying TBC will become the champions easily since they obvioulsy can literally grind for gear 24/7. Though its a nice idea to have tournaments and global PvP champions, it seems like its another way to keep people grinding and subscribing, but if players are happy with that then so be it. 
    Ofcourse you wont get free gear to use in arena's, that would be silly. however Gear dont help much in arena's, if you got a team over voice-com and good tactics you can beat anyone, just got my ass handed to me by a warlock yesterday, might also mention he was alone vs me and a friend.

oh, ok Godliest might go check outsometime, but i doubt hes still the best, arena is so different from previous pvp system. :P
  • DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951
    Hmm... while this sounds very nice and all that... is this something that will fit in the game? I really think it feels weird they add stuff like battlegrounds and now this. All I can think of is Guild Wars... which IMO isn't a MMORPG but a good game MEANT for fast paced action and world tournaments and so forth.

I feel saddened they don't focus on THE WORLD of WarCraft and only >WAR<Craft. So I guess we can say that World PvP will be roasted by now and all PvP we will be able to compete in is this? I also thought the expansion would add something great to the world PvP but it turned out just something really really minor that hardly pimped up the World PvP.

I don't know where WoW is heading... but I don't think this is the right way...

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

About the only oppinion I ahve of the Arena is that I find it completely idiotic that you cannot actually "view" a battle, everything is instanced and can only be seen by the people in the fight.

Way to go half assed on this one. How cool would it have been to have teams you could follow, stand around and watch the fight in the arenas along with other people.

Anyways, thought they had a great opportunity to do something different here, so much for that I guess.

OH yes and I still don't get how this has anything to do with the WORLD of WARCRAFT, what happened to this grand war we were promised all those years ago.

well you see, this tournament HAS with the World of Warcraft to do, you see the goblin's of steamwheedle cartel has opened up arenas for the steamwheedle tournament.

and however, you should completely like break it down and stuff shae, just post suggestions and blizz could read it imo, there will most likely come the thing where you can have audience watching the tournament matches, but i dont think they bothered with that now because of the TBC release and all.
  • SpellshaperSpellshaper Member UncommonPosts: 419

Its another try to copy GW, but I think this try is step outside.
    http://www.guildwars.com/competitive/funseason/celestialtournament.php

well you see, this tournament HAS with the World of Warcraft to do, you see the goblin's of steamwheedle cartel has opened up arenas for the steamwheedle tournament.

That's just some fuzz. The thing we said wasen't what REASON the battles are introduced in, but for what PURPOSE of the general gameplay it will serve. I'd say it wouldn't fit it's nature naturally in any way. Instead of focusing on something I bet the audience would like more they implement something so hardcore the previous BG grind looks like a joke...

$OE lies list
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

Originally posted by Spellshaper

Its another try to copy GW, but I think this try is step outside.

http://www.guildwars.com/competitive/funseason/celestialtournament.php
    wow, since when did it become "another try to copy GW" ?? afaik, GW has no copyright whatsoever on tournaments etc etc so stop the bullcrap.

and yea ok, well if you havent played arena, you should, this IS more hardcore than anything else. its freaking hard.
  • sitheussitheus Member Posts: 230
    Arena tournaments..hmm. Well, I think this is the new end game to keep people playing. Its a good move on Blizzards part since lots and lots people quit after getting all their tiered gear or get tired of running simplistic, repetitive, boring raids to get their teired gear. I quit for that reason since it was to easy, shallow, and repetitive at end game. IMO arena tournaments is the final bullet that killed WoW world PvP. Players will stay inside instances raiding to get their gear for arena battles and then spend the rest of their time in arenas trying get to the top of the ladder. But like I said, if players want that and are happy then so be it. It is really to bad Blizzard didn't try to revive world PvP by offering incentives to players other than capping towers in zones for some chessy buff but I guess that is what the player base wants.
  • kraidenkraiden Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 638

Originally posted by DuraheLL

Hmm... while this sounds very nice and all that... is this something that will fit in the game? I really think it feels weird they add stuff like battlegrounds and now this. All I can think of is Guild Wars... which IMO isn't a MMORPG but a good game MEANT for fast paced action and world tournaments and so forth.

I feel saddened they don't focus on THE WORLD of WarCraft and only >WAR<Craft. So I guess we can say that World PvP will be roasted by now and all PvP we will be able to compete in is this? I also thought the expansion would add something great to the world PvP but it turned out just something really really minor that hardly pimped up the World PvP.

Thats seriously the first time I have seen this in print. A person saying Wow focuses too much on pvp and not enough on the game world. Sadly however, there are twice as many quest, and raid encounters as the classic world and the progress towards war can not be felt. There is no war in warcraft. you sit side by side doing quest with elves and orcs just wanting to progress further in the game insted of destroying your much hated rivals and driving them off your land. You talk to elven, tauren, dwarven and blood elven NPC's for quests. Sort of ruins the "feel" of being at war when your a dwarf helping a Troll get revenge on a bunch of Ogres who burried him alive. I dont think the Allies where asking the Axis group "which way is normandy?" during the world war. Contested lands are HARDLY contested, they should be called what they really are "co op" zones.

This is not a war. We do not hate our enemy, we do not take over and destroy cities as we did in the origional game. No goldmine or resources to fight over to improve our armies.
    Its world of raidcraft and world of skirmish craft.... you are not prepared.

Originally posted by kraiden

Originally posted by DuraheLL

Thats seriously the first time I have seen this in print. A person saying Wow focuses too much on pvp and not enough on the game world. Sadly however, there are twice as many quest, and raid encounters as the classic world and the progress towards war can not be felt. There is no war in warcraft. you sit side by side doing quest with elves and orcs just wanting to progress further in the game insted of destroying your much hated rivals and driving them off your land. You talk to elven, tauren, dwarven and blood elven NPC's for quests. Sort of ruins the "feel" of being at war when your a dwarf helping a Troll get revenge on a bunch of Ogres who burried him alive. I dont think the Allies where asking the Axis group "which way is normandy?" during the world war. Contested lands are HARDLY contested, they should be called what they really are "co op" zones.

This is not a war. We do not hate our enemy, we do not take over and destroy cities as we did in the origional game. No goldmine or resources to fight over to improve our armies.

What I meant was that the PvP is sad. And I refered to what many people did in WoW. Battlegrounds that is. Which IMO is the most boring aspect of PvP I have ever seen. WoW PvP could have been MUCH better than it is now. Instead they just threw everything into some battleground where you fight random people for no reason (don't bring me any fuzz on this one!).

Ofc quests and so forth are in the game but you only do them for XP or MONEY. Thus in the end when you are max level what will you then do? Farm instances for gear or now participate in the BG or World Tournament kind-off "new" BG...

Now I dunno how many people who feel fine by that but I for one doesn't because I think the focus should be on the actual world and not on some instanced zone which doesn't change anything for the general gameplay.

Outside PvP there's no carrot to keep anyone going. You can "take over cities", a little fun... but when you notice there's nothing to it you get tired of it. It's pretty much a waste of time. And you can "take over turrets" but that just felt like some Battlefield (TM) stuff.

So no I didn't kinda say WoW "is" about PvP. I say it's about BAD PvP.

$OE lies list
    "

and however, you should completely like break it down and stuff shae, just post suggestions and blizz could read it imo, there will most likely come the thing where you can have audience watching the tournament matches, but i dont think they bothered with that now because of the TBC release and all.

I just don't buy it from Blizzard when they say their going to do something in the future anymore, they've done this so many times, it's insane.

Player housing, hero classes, plant life, pet's, crafting orders. They love to say it's something they'd like to do in the future but I mean really? It wont happen.

Besides that, I see your point about the goblins, I like the way they did booty bay, I've loved the neutral areas like that and gadget since beta. My only issue I was trying to get accross is that WoW was always supposed to be about a grand war, I hate that they've spent all this time, money and resources on a stupid arena system when they actual "War" in world of WARcraft is broken right to hell.

• HubabubaHubabuba Member Posts: 229
    Originally posted by kraiden

haha, its such a horrible game, but yet you continue to play it.  Blizzard is laughing at you all the way to the bank.  Be a man, if the game is so horrible why pay blizzard?  And if you have quit playing, why do you still read the forums?  Do you miss the horrible game so much that you can't stay off the forums?  haha

• Originally posted by shae

About the only oppinion I ahve of the Arena is that I find it completely idiotic that you cannot actually "view" a battle, everything is instanced and can only be seen by the people in the fight.
    Way to go half assed on this one. How cool would it have been to have teams you could follow, stand around and watch the fight in the arenas along with other people.
    Anyways, thought they had a great opportunity to do something different here, so much for that I guess.
    OH yes and I still don't get how this has anything to do with the WORLD of WARCRAFT, what happened to this grand war we were promised all those years ago.
    Only Guild Wars has a feature like this that I know of.  Observer mode pretty damn cool though.  Its like being able to watch a football game anytime you like.  And you can even chat with the other people watching the match. Although it has been in the game for over a year.  Anyway the point is that this is a rather rare feature.

WoW has a serious problem when it comes to PvP, it is almost completely designed to never have good PvP of any kind.  This is mostly due to the fact that is a direct transference of an EQ type RPG.  It is not a simulation game like Eve is.  Therefore "World PvP" presents and will always present many problems.  You can never have a real war is games like WoW or CoX of EQ or Vanguard.  Why?  Because war requires loss.  Loss of life, loss of resources, loss of objectives.  And instiuting losses like interfere with people's PvE.

And so WoW began to go the Battleground route to try to get competitve PvP going.  They know from the WC/SC days that competitve PvP is good and that Blizzard gained alot of fan cache with it. 

But then we run into the other side of their serious problem.  WoW is not tactical/strategic.  There is no pre-game tactics for builds, your characters cannot change their setup and the classes do not have much variation or even particularly different ways of accomplishing their goals.  If we look at Guild Wars there are many many team builds and a 100's of builds even within the same class.  One monk can be built completely different than another monk, even if they both are healers they may heal in very different ways depending on skill selection,  they could even have no healing at all.  Preists in WoW always always have heals.  If you see a preist you know he heals.  Even if he is Shadow specced he has at least 3 or 4 quite good heals.  A smite monk in GW may have absolutely no heals, it could be the case that the elementalist on the team is the real healer that monk was just a decoy smite monk.

So WoW's World PvP is not a real war and never can be, although it may be fun for a little while.  I had fun in the old SS skirmishes.  WoW arenas are doomed to mediocrity since class make up simply is not dynamic and classes are a mile wide and an inch deep.  And yet the people at Blizzard covet the idea of competitive PvP, but their game is completely not designed for competitive PvP of either the match play ot world variety.  But they will still try to pound a round peg into a square hole. 

They really think they can force it IMO, I don't think they really get it. 

Even the excellent step of unlimited temporary repecs 10 minutes before an arena match (ie. you revert to PvE talent spec when the match finsihes and can't leave the respec room until you enter the match) would not really be enough because the talents while nice are still not that big of a difference because priests can always heal very well and rogues can't heal for crap and only mages can blink or AoE etc etc.   As soon as you see a team you know what they will bring and since WoW gameplay mechanics are quite simple the counter will be obvious and unless you have tons of alternates it may take weeks to adequately obtain that counter.

In the end it will be shallow.  Because WoW does not really allow for much varience in tactics.  It is deisgned for tank/heal/spank.  Whereas gamnes like CoX or Guild Wars allows of multiple strategies.  It is often the case in CoX that buffing mitigates much more damage than straight up healing and Guild Wars monks have more tricks up their sleeves than I can put in one post.  This is simply not really allowed in WoW to a significant degree.   A 5 man priest team is virtually unthinkable in WoW.  An 8 man Defender team in CoX kicks major ass if done right.
    Originally posted by Hubabuba

haha, its such a horrible game, but yet you continue to play it.  Blizzard is laughing at you all the way to the bank.  Be a man, if the game is so horrible why pay blizzard?  And if you have quit playing, why do you still read the forums?  Do you miss the horrible game so much that you can't stay off the forums?  haha

I cant stay off the forums because I work here

But besides that, why do we all play wow if we are not more than thrilled about it would make a great editorial I think thats a good question. I myself play because i love online roleplaying games plain and simple and always have. At the moment the majority of my friends play world of warcraft, so it provides me with a way to have fun and communicate with them while doing something interesting. With the high amounts of new content there is renewed zeal in our play, but it still is not a game we are "finatical" about.

I will see alot of games at the comicon this weekend and we will get a better look at upcomming games such as Warhammer online, Pirates of the burning sea, City of heroes/villans (already released), age of conan, Lord of the rings and my favorite Fury (located on our forums)  and it will give me and everyone a few alternatives to blizzards World of warcraft.

-Hasani-

Originally posted by shae

I just don't buy it from Blizzard when they say their going to do something in the future anymore, they've done this so many times, it's insane.

Player housing, hero classes, plant life, pet's, crafting orders. They love to say it's something they'd like to do in the future but I mean really? It wont happen.

Besides that, I see your point about the goblins, I like the way they did booty bay, I've loved the neutral areas like that and gadget since beta. My only issue I was trying to get accross is that WoW was always supposed to be about a grand war, I hate that they've spent all this time, money and resources on a stupid arena system when they actual "War" in world of WARcraft is broken right to hell.

hehe, yea the war isnt there anymore imo aswell, but you have to think of it like this, before BC came the war was against the alliance and horde, but now that the burning legion is trying to invade they are working together to stop them, as you can see on the stairs at the dark portal in hellfire peninsula.

and btw, blizzard do take our suggestions, they are gonna implement a guild bank soon. :p

Warcraft was always about

Build your town

Bolster your army by getting Resources

Pushing back the enemy from border and contester resources

Destroying the enemy town!

So to me to make wow true to what it should be the best weapons inthe game should be legendary Orange quality weapons and armor droped by PvP Raid Bosses from the Main cities.

All purples should be gained by gathering massive amounts of resources. this way... horde and alliance are always outside fighting in the streets over resources and thus bringing war to eachother.

Contested lands should actually be contested and the loser in the zone would lose the zone for their faction. Like If Ashenvale , which is between the barrens and The nightelves, happens to fall to the horde, trees then are cut down like warsong lumber yard, roads turn to dirt and the sky becomes a hazy stormy evil night... at all times. If the alliance win the zone it becomes  "alliance terratory" and you see more fireflies, more trees, roads  are paved ectect.

There should be pvp objectives/waypoints in each zone just like they have now. If you win these pvp objectives you get a bonus for the zone. The "waypoints" should also have a questing or resource gathering way of winnning them. such as gather more leather and more iron to supply the NPC army to attack the orc outpost and help your faction sack it!"

all contested lands should also  have "hubs" or small village/outpost of each faction, if you take over the 2 outpost/villages you lose control of the zone. Your "hubs" are strong unless the waypoints in the zone are taken.

So the ultimate goal of the game would be gathering resources, doing outdoor quests and sacking cities. which is EXACTLY what warcraft and warhammer (which warcraft is based on) have always been about. The feeling of walking into a town and talking to humans and doing quests next to alliance and never being able to knock over their cities or any want to kill thral just baffles me.

Just my 2cents

-Hasani-

hehe awesome ideas, but WoW is a game for PvE Players, not PvP Players so if they'd make such drastic changes imo, wow will lose pretty much of its player base.

but i love how you think, and i also think it should be like that.

why noone wants to kill thrall is easy, hes kick ass, sexy and hard, not to mention the whole horde will help defend him, so it wouldnt be that fun :P

hehe awesome ideas, but WoW is a game for PvE Players, not PvP Players so if they'd make such drastic changes imo, wow will lose pretty much of its player base.

but i love how you think, and i also think it should be like that.

why noone wants to kill thrall is easy, hes kick ass, sexy and hard, not to mention the whole horde will help defend him, so it wouldnt be that fun :P

Sorry, I COMPLETELY dissagree with that. I'm just curious (not being rude here) but have you ever actually played any Warcraft game at all?

It's ALWAYS been about PVP, it's always been about War. You know, the 1st War, the 2nd War, the preparation for the 3rd war. PvE, while a big part of WarCraft, was always meant to support PvP through gear.

I'll admit that, unfortunately, over the last 2 + years that idea has become more and more skewed but if you look at the building engine, at the combat control and beta notes, WoW was always meant to be a PvP centered game, as were all the past Warcraft games. Go look at battlenet and look for anything PvE related there, I promise you wont find any.