Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anime

I realise there's been threads like this before, but i couldnt find any to help me here so...:

I'm relatively new to the anime scene, my only real exposure being cowboy bebop (which i love, i have the perfect sessions), trigun (dont really like), and gundams wing and 8th ms team (liked both, might get one gundam series). anyway, i recently got rid of my ps2 to get a digital camera, and now my family is finally getting a dvd player. so what other anime would you reccomend? id like to get at least 1 gundam series. im getting band of brothers eventually and some older war movies for cheap as well (paton, longest day, tora! tora!). just do you dont have to tell me to get more than just anime ::::35::

--------------------------------------

Comments

• SonorisSonoris Member Posts: 54

ok First off the newest stuff out in Japan is the best so I reccommend you find some fansubber (websites that take the newest animes and subtitle them so we english speaking people can understand them) you can try them all out and all it takes is some bandwidth....

BUT I HIGHLY RECOMEND "NARUTO" long story but fun and inspirational.

Here are some links to get you started... They all require bittorrent so your gona need to download that (its worth it)

http://www.suprnova.org/

http://anime.mircx.com/

http://www.the-easy-tiger.net/ -- Great site dont get anything they say "great get this" but the ones with stars are good

http://www.brainfart.org/naruto/anime/anime.htm -- for Naruto, latest episodes require the second site

http://www.animenfo.com/index.php --for good advice on next series you choose

happy hunting

• ChronicRickChronicRick Member Posts: 569
    Well I recommend PUNI PUNI POEMI!!! image But that's just me. Robotech is teh roxor too. The first chapter though...the second is retarded. You know what else is good for a novelty laugh? Lupin. Good funny stuff. And some old school astro-boy while your at it. Bubblegum crisis is good too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

thanks for the suggestions.

alright, ill probably get some robotech. whats the best gundam series though? and what are some good anime movies? ive seen princess mononoke, might get that. might get ninja scroll, metropolis, akira, and jin-roh too, since they are supposedly classics. and what about evangelion? most say its incredible, but then i hear some that say it sucks, so i dont know what to think.

• GnarledGnarled Member Posts: 566
    Well, start with some classic full-length: Akira, and Ghost in the Shell, which is still probably my favorite animated piece, ever.

"I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest sword. If, on your journey, you should encounter God. . .
    . . . God will be cut."
    - Quentin Tarantino, Kill Bill

EQII
    Requiiem, Templar
    Neriak

Oh yeah, and do yourself a favour: as with any movie watch it in the original intended screen ratio, which for the most part means widescreen. And watch it in the original language with subtitles, you you can hear what the film-makers intended you to hear. Even if you don't understand it you'll get the emotional tone. Dubbing sucks.

"I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest sword. If, on your journey, you should encounter God. . .
    . . . God will be cut."

EQII
    Requiiem, Templar
    Neriak

• OminisOminis Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by Gnarled 
    And watch it in the original language with subtitles, you you can hear what the film-makers intended you to hear. Even if you don't understand it you'll get the emotional tone. Dubbing sucks.

Not with all of them. Possibly my favorite Anime of all time is Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (my suggestion to you SD), and the English Dubbing is great. Everyone sounds like what they should and everyone expresses the emotions perfectly. Actually in a number of series I have to listen to the English versions. It isn't because I don't like reading it, it is just that in some series the Japanese actors are completely annoying and obnoxious, especially with a lot of the chicks.

Anyways back to the recommendations, you might want to try Wolf's Rain, it is done by the same guys who made Beboop. In truth I have only seen one episode (last night) so I don't really know how good it is. It's going to be on every Saturday Night at 11:30 on Adult Swim (just aired the first episode last night). Another good action show would be Fooly Cooly. It is very weird and random at times, but it has great music and animation, and after seeing it a few times (it is real short, 6 episodes), you learn to understand it. That is only what I can think off the top of my head.

"No one can draw a clear line between sane and insane. You move that line as you see fit for yourself. No one else can. You'll understand soon... that the one that's insane is this world." - Vincent

Currently:
    Playing: WOW & GW

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

find Read or Die OVA its very excellent , the animation is disney style (production valuewise), and the art is cool....and damn they just have cool superpowers

• Smelly_ArmorSmelly_Armor Member UncommonPosts: 571

The Robotech series is a good suggestion by all for someone starting out in the genre. If you want to try a grand daddy anime, try the StarBlazers series.

For full length anime feature, Ghost in the Shell is in my top 10 of all time anime movies. Vampire Hunter D is a great classic.

I won't load u down with any other anime sites because the ones suggested are great ones to begin with.

For movies, especially war movies, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon for Nam era.  The ones you listed for WW2 are probably some of the best, esp Band of Brothers series. Ooooh! Almost forgot,  a great classic movie is Seven Samurai. If you like martial art, kung fu movies, try any of Jackie Chan's old stuff. It is funny and really good stuff.

Happy hunting and may your eye lids never droop during a viewingimage

ive seen the cowboy bebop movie, ill definitely get that. vampire hunter d and ghost in the shell look pretty cool too.

and as far as war movies, i dont really need help there, thanks anyway though ::2. full metal jacket was great, didnt like platoon that much, sorry ::::07::. apocalypse now! is one of my favorite movies ever, only falling behind band of brothers. some comedy suggestions would be nice though. so far i have o brother where art thou, every christopher guest movie, a fish called wanda, and office space on my list of stuff to get. no damned teen comedies! (american pie, scary movie, etc.) ::::10::

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

Yeah, Ghost in the Shell is good and they are making the second movie right now.  Also the Ghost in the Shell TV series sounds like it will be worth checking out.

I personally love the dubbed stuff, it just sounds better in general, not to mention you miss to much of the art if your reading the text all the time.

Some others I like----------------------------

Witch Hunter Robin - Strange but compelling

Dual Parallel - Love this one, great characters and humor, a light hearted version of Evangellion sorta

12 Kingdoms - some of the best quality non theatrical art I have seen in an anime and a gripping story

Nadesico - Some good funny parts

Tenshi - Funny and fun in general

Evangellion - Great stories, drama, characters and art, horrible ending. image

Bubblegum Crisis - the old version

Kiddy Grade - Great art!

Last Exile - Great story and images

Chobits

Here are some that are more about relationships and feel good shows more targeted to female viewers I enjoy but you may like them too.

Ai Yori Aoshi

Strawberry Eggs - a little on the strange side but good anyway  image

Figure 17 - targeted to young girls but the characters are just so cute and theres lots of action too!  Great music also imo.

I highly recommend you peek at www.animenation.com and look through their DVD listings.  You can see the huge variety and pick out some that appeal to you then maybe check back here for others opinions on them if your unsure.

Oop a couple more.  image

Appleseed

Blood: the Last Vampire

RahXephon

Spriggan

Sol Bianca

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

Originally posted by Misti

actually i think the End of Evangelion was a very well done movie..

did you watch it?

• RunesoulRunesoul Member Posts: 28

I bought it image

But, anyway...

A few classic great ones that noone has mentioned (amazing i know..)

Hellsing (Freaking Cool... Vampric things, but in a cool way)

Berserk (Name says it all...Watch it)

Hunter X Hunter (all of them, theres a lot, the Hunter X Hunter series the OAVs and now Greed Island is recently coming out.. I await them with bated breath)

Dragon Half (These are hilarious, there are only like 3 episodes because the writers got arrested and put in jail, quite quite funny.)

Excel Saga (These are a must see, watch them for hours of humorous bliss.)

Hale Noche Guu and Hale Noche Guu Deluxe (These are funny.)

And now for the strange ones.. Well some of the above were strange but these are just wrong.

Cooking Master Boy, This anime is hilarious..  If you like watching Iron Chef you'll like watching this.

Prince of Tennis.  Also funny, the characters have super tennis attacks.

Battle Programmer Shirase, a progammer who battles... enough said.

One Piece... It's ok, I don't really like it that much, it's about a boy with strechy arms....

I could recommend more, but I'm hungry, and I feel like watching some new Tenjou Tenge anime that just came out.

i recommend going to www.animesuki.com

Naruto is ok, but lately they have been annoying with all the flashbacks and such, but they seem to be picking up.  It's becoming DBZish... not a good thing.  Kenshin is good tho.

Runesoul

Originally posted by Runesoul

uh yea, when i asked about which i should watch, so many people told me berserk..

things about it..

it's great..BUT, the ending..WAHT ENDING?

the anime doesn't end...it's like..a series that doesn't have any more epidoes

a soap operah that got discontinued

terrible!

That's cool, I didn't know they were making a GitS sequel. Here's the US site, huge trailer in there. . .

http://www.gofishpictures.com/GITS2/gits_tease.html

. . . God will be cut."

EQII
    Requiiem, Templar
    Neriak

• SonorisSonoris Member Posts: 54

Yea Berserk is great, it is actually what started my whole love for this thing, now Im a addict... But your going to have to read the Manga to get the rest of the story which gets better the further you read it. Though its a little dark but fear not, get gets cheerer but than back to a gothic feel.

Another is last exile... alot of fun and good art, but the story got slow in the middle but picked back up (like most anime that I have seen).

BUT AGIAN GO FOR NARUTO TRUST ME YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!!!

• GundamitGundamit Member Posts: 268

Yeah, Ghost in the Shell is good and they are making the second movie right now.  Also the Ghost in the Shell TV series sounds like it will be worth checking out.
    I personally love the dubbed stuff, it just sounds better in general, not to mention you miss to much of the art if your reading the text all the time.
    Some others I like----------------------------
    Witch Hunter Robin - Strange but compelling
    Dual Parallel - Love this one, great characters and humor, a light hearted version of Evangellion sorta
    12 Kingdoms - some of the best quality non theatrical art I have seen in an anime and a gripping story
    Nadesico - Some good funny parts
    Tenshi - Funny and fun in general
    Bubblegum Crisis - the old version
    Kiddy Grade - Great art!
    Last Exile - Great story and images
    Chobits

Here are some that are more about relationships and feel good shows more targeted to female viewers I enjoy but you may like them too.
    Ai Yori Aoshi
    Strawberry Eggs - a little on the strange side but good anyway  image
    Figure 17 - targeted to young girls but the characters are just so cute and theres lots of action too!  Great music also imo.

I highly recommend you peek at www.animenation.com and look through their DVD listings.  You can see the huge variety and pick out some that appeal to you then maybe check back here for others opinions on them if your unsure.
    Oop a couple more.  image
    Appleseed
    Blood: the Last Vampire
    RahXephon
    Spriggan
    Sol Bianca

I agree with almost all the Misti put on her list.

Also add these:

Tenchi Muyo GXP

Berserk

Record of Lodoss War

Love Hina

S-cry-ed

and "X"

http://www.sittingduckradio.com - Best music on the Internet

• wystanwystan Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by Runesoul

I bought it image
    But, anyway...
    A few classic great ones that noone has mentioned (amazing i know..)
    Hellsing (Freaking Cool... Vampric things, but in a cool way)
    Hunter X Hunter (all of them, theres a lot, the Hunter X Hunter series the OAVs and now Greed Island is recently coming out.. I await them with bated breath)
    Dragon Half (These are hilarious, there are only like 3 episodes because the writers got arrested and put in jail, quite quite funny.)
    Excel Saga (These are a must see, watch them for hours of humorous bliss.)
    Hale Noche Guu and Hale Noche Guu Deluxe (These are funny.)
    And now for the strange ones.. Well some of the above were strange but these are just wrong.
    Cooking Master Boy, This anime is hilarious..  If you like watching Iron Chef you'll like watching this.
    Prince of Tennis.  Also funny, the characters have super tennis attacks.
    Battle Programmer Shirase, a progammer who battles... enough said.
    One Piece... It's ok, I don't really like it that much, it's about a boy with strechy arms....
    I could recommend more, but I'm hungry, and I feel like watching some new Tenjou Tenge anime that just came out.
    i recommend going to www.animesuki.com
    Naruto is ok, but lately they have been annoying with all the flashbacks and such, but they seem to be picking up.  It's becoming DBZish... not a good thing.  Kenshin is good tho.

Runesoul

cant forget ninja scroll and vampire hunter d

ATM

• BagItTagItBagItTagIt Member Posts: 164
    im tryin to get into anime myself.....will probably be getting some dbz  shows and maybe a movie or 2 from netflix..

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

Originally posted by MurtBijani

actually i think the End of Evangelion was a very well done movie..

did you watch it?

Yeah I own the whole series and the 2 movies, but the ending didn't make any sense to me and didn't answer many of the questions the series built up to.

maybe I am just being thick but I just didn't get the ending at all.  If you skip the movies and the last 2 episodes of the series though I think its a great collection.

Of course to many fans consider Evangelion to be the Lord of the Rings of anime so I am speaking sacrilege!

yea i think it the best..u have to admit though, the movie ending was better than "congratulations!"*

*the last episode..they kept saying that over and over agian.

No one mentioned Outlaw Star! (Unless I missed it) The series probably seemed like a stereo-type anime to some of you uber-geeks but it had a great, original story. And the worst ending ever. (Yes worse than NGE) God, I hated that ending!!! Alot of anime's end sucking. The good ones end strong and not hinting at a sequel or some shit...image

Originally posted by BagItTagIt
    im tryin to get into anime myself.....will probably be getting some dbz  shows and maybe a movie or 2 from netflix..

Bad idea unless your building up to the good stuff or something. Haha...The series had potential until it grew out of control. "My power level is at eleventy bajillion!!" Too bad Akira Toriyama.

Originally posted by BagItTagIt

ugh, im new to anime and even i hate dbz.

and berserk looks pretty cool, how much of the manga would i have to read to get the general idea?

• RunesoulRunesoul Member Posts: 28

The anime covers the entire story except for after Griffith becomes the evil king and all.  You can just watch the anime and then read the end of the manga to get the entire plot.  I personally don't like reading manga that much, but if you like to read the manga first.

Runesoul

it was so scrweed up...griffith becomes this evil devil dude that's killed millions..and the anime..ends!