Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tell me of your Shadowbane?

lorechaserlorechaser Member Posts: 124
I've looked over the forums, and I see a lot of "It's good, it's not good, depends on what you mean by good."

But nothing that really describes the game, beyond a great PvP RvR system.

I know the shortest answer is "Download it and try it" but I'm at work, and looking for some mmo fix.  ;)

So, to make people hurt:

1. What current gen game would be comparible?

2. How quickly can you get involved with a guild/nation?  How hardcore are they?  Are we looking at the equivalent of DKP all over, and miss a realm meeting means booting?  Or are there more relaxed, but still good, guilds?

3. Is the game casual-friendly?  By casual I mean more time invested and grinding, not skill - I enjoy my PvP a lot, but I don't want to have to invest 14 hours farming rep to get the weapons to use.  I don't mind hardcore skill being required, in fact, I'd prefer it....

4. Player housing - EQ 2 style apartments, or SWG style towns and decorations?

Who am I?
@Lorechaser on CoH
Badjuju, Splinterhoof, Plainsrunner on WoW (Moonrunner)
Shyy'rissk on SWG (Flurry)
ClockworkSoldier, HE Pierce, Letnev on Planetside
Gyshe, Crucible, Terrakal on DDO
And many more.

Comments

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

I'll try my best.

1. Hard to say, because Shadowbane is still an extremely unique concept. I can compare it to a handful of curent games but not a single one, as no single title is anything like SB. The free-for-all pvp system is similar to how Eve Online approaches the mechanic. It's every man for himself, so it is important to be in a guild for protection, and also for the simple fact that large scale pvp battles/sieges and land conquest are the main focus of the game. As far as solo play, there are standard pve quests but don't expect a pve system on the level of wow or EQ2. The Character creation is similar to Anarchy Online in the sense that it gives you many choices. There are a crapload of professions to choose from also. The siege warfare and the fact that guilds can take over and govern whole cities at this point is still unique to this game.

2. You can join a guild pretty easily (once off of newb island), and its pretty much required, if you wanna participate in the meat of this game. There is a built in looking for guild function so its pretty easy.

3.No this is not a Korean grind-fest, but its not gonna baby you either.

4. Guilds can own and rule whole cities....nuff said.

• lorechaserlorechaser Member Posts: 124
    That was enough to convince me.  I'm giving it a try.

First impressions are both extremely favorable (the character creation system is just flat out badass.  Stats, traits, multiple classes with many branches, non-human races, man), and somewhat eh (It's very confusing what to do upon starting - I think I'm simply supposed to run about slaughtering stuff, and I can't find my trainer - found all the advanced, but not my fighter trainer).

But for a free game, it's way up there.

Any suggestions for a noob?  I'm up to lvl 4 killing spiders outside the village....

Who am I?
    @Lorechaser on CoH
    Badjuju, Splinterhoof, Plainsrunner on WoW (Moonrunner)
    Shyy'rissk on SWG (Flurry)
    ClockworkSoldier, HE Pierce, Letnev on Planetside
    Gyshe, Crucible, Terrakal on DDO
    And many more.

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

To that I say....welcome to Shadowbane friend! If the things I stated before didn't run you off, then I think this game will make you feel right at home. This is definately not a game for the faint of heart (e.g Carebears). There is a lot to this game as you will soon realise. Here is a link to a great players guide, it is very comprehensive (make sure to read both pages as the second page has more info that is geared toward people just starting out on newbie island), so set aside a little time to read it entirely. It is well wriiten and informative. Make sure to share this link with anyone else who needs info on this game.

http://chronicle.ubi.com/newspost.php?id=11671

Thanks for having an open mind! That is rare these days, as you can no doubt tell, with the multitudes of trolls on this site and other forum sites as well. I hope you enjoy this game as much as I have, it is truly unique.