Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where has our taste in MMO's gone?

This game is way under hyped. Seriously, this game has the most orginallity i've ever seen in a MMO. I guess people just don't care for orginallity and uniqueness anymore. *Sigh*

==============================
He's not dead... he's electroencephalographically challenged.
Currently waiting For:
1st.WAR
2nd.AoC
3rd.GnH's
4th. Sword of the New world: Granado Espada

Comments

• Mr.Man_7Mr.Man_7 Member Posts: 224
    Well , i think this thread is pointless now that it on top 5. Well not exactly since it is a great game and should be rated atleas a 7.3 for bringing something new into the MMO world.

Currently waiting For:
    1st.WAR
    2nd.AoC
    3rd.GnH's

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829
    Your thread needs work. I see that you claim to like the game and I have also seen you hype it quite freely. So what is the attraction? What about this game separates it from the greatest out there? IE, WoW for mass appeal, Everquest games for crafting and content (not swg), Lineage 2 for PvP, or upcoming LoTR and AOC for graphics? Sell me here! Convince me this is not the next SK grind MMO...

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

Originally posted by dalevi1

Your thread needs work. I see that you claim to like the game and I have also seen you hype it quite freely. So what is the attraction? What about this game separates it from the greatest out there? IE, WoW for mass appeal, Everquest games for crafting and content (not swg), Lineage 2 for PvP, or upcoming LoTR and AOC for graphics? Sell me here! Convince me this is not the next SK grind MMO...
    I'm not going to describe the whole game to you and it's features compared to others. Why? Because i'm just simply stateing that orginallity is a big thing for MMO's and most people as well , so why is it so poorley hyped?

Currently waiting For:
    1st.WAR
    2nd.AoC
    3rd.GnH's

• darknakardarknakar Member UncommonPosts: 29
    original maybe  the theme  of the world and have 3 char  whit family  name

but sorry  but it still korean style grinding  afert  each x level u get new armor weapon 

no custom       whit few skills  in each stance       event if it still more original it still a korean grinding game

it fun  but  not that great   well that my opinion

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by darknakar

but sorry  but it still korean style grinding  afert  each x level u get new armor weapon 

no custom       whit few skills  in each stance       event if it still more original it still a korean grinding game

How exactly is it korean style grinding that is diffrent from western MMO's. Each X level u get new armor and weapons? That happens in EVERY MMORPG for crying out loud! few skills in each stance, you only forgot to mention that there are a shitload of diffrent stances avaible.
    Originally posted by darknakar

It' not as much as a grindfest as SoF which is a korean game. Atleast this game is'nt to reliable on grinding with the EXP cards you get fromm quests. Thier is also the fact of  the stance system and it's EXP but i'm not in th emood of explaining this to you. So just go to it's website and check it out.

Currently waiting For:
    1st.WAR
    2nd.AoC
    3rd.GnH's

• GerecGerec Member CommonPosts: 185
    I honestly don't  see anything about this game that excites me in the least. I see some originality, but originality is a moot point if the game looks boring in the first place. You can make an MMO where we all got swallowed by a giant whale and we're in his belly and must now work our way out together, until the expansion where a live event allows players to finally allow their society within the great whale belly to become advanced enough to break free, only to realize the whale was actually in the belly of a giant alien out in the middle of space. You could even throw in a couple unique features, doesn't make it a good game. Granado Espada looks boring.
  • Vicar1492Vicar1492 Member Posts: 12
    I'd totally play that game with the whale.  But I do think that is an excellent point that originality doesn't make a great game.
  • RebornDragonRebornDragon Member UncommonPosts: 121

You can make an MMO where we all got swallowed by a giant whale and we're in his belly and must now work our way out together, until the expansion where a live event allows players to finally allow their society within the great whale belly to become advanced enough to break free, only to realize the whale was actually in the belly of a giant alien out in the middle of space.

Game of the Year.

Originally posted by Gerec

I honestly don't  see anything about this game that excites me in the least. I see some originality, but originality is a moot point if the game looks boring in the first place. You can make an MMO where we all got swallowed by a giant whale and we're in his belly and must now work our way out together, until the expansion where a live event allows players to finally allow their society within the great whale belly to become advanced enough to break free, only to realize the whale was actually in the belly of a giant alien out in the middle of space. You could even throw in a couple unique features, doesn't make it a good game. Granado Espada looks boring.
    You probably should do more research on the game. You probably just noticed the MCC and stance system then decided to judge it original. Than you thought back at your first impression knowing it was boring so you did'nt bother to even read up on the game.

Currently waiting For:
    1st.WAR
    2nd.AoC
    3rd.GnH's

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829
    Originally posted by Mr.Man_7

Originally posted by dalevi1

I'm not going to describe the whole game to you and it's features compared to others. Why? Because i'm just simply stateing that orginallity is a big thing for MMO's and most people as well , so why is it so poorley hyped? Perhaps it is poorly hyped because it's fans (like yourself) are doing a poor job of getting out the word. The only word I have seen you use thus far to explain it is "original." I have read descriptions of the game, most of which like to build on the ability to create and control several characters at once, which in a strange way reminds me of little more than legal L2 wind and walker. I am asking you to tellus why this game should be hyped higher than it currently is, which is why you created this thread in the first place.

Does this game have superior AI and crafting systems, better character customization and development? Maybe even good community tools like downtime activities or a great chat system? Does it move away from the rigid SK MMO grind, control systems and interface?

These are all valid questions, and if you post that a game is great, you should be willing to build on your statements.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• GerecGerec Member CommonPosts: 185
    Please, enlighten me. You asked why the game was hyped lowly. I've read what the site says about the game and it wasn't enough to interest me into researching further. This is probably the reason why it's hyped low. If the game has such great interesting features, why aren't they immediately obvious? You're right, I see MCC, the barrack, and NPC control. So you get to control more than one character, this is certainly not new or innovative. Now, controlling more than one character as Dreamlords does is an interesting concept though I don't find that to be an exciting game either, for other reasons.

I see the stance system, it seems at the very best to be a minor improvement on an already stale combat system. Granted I haven't played the game, and maybe I'm missing out. But I really don't have the desire to find out, hence why it's hyped lowly.
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    It has never been done before. Its not just normal gameplay with 2 pets slapped on it, the entire gameplay is new and unique. Its like saying EVE is just like other MMORPG's, just with spaceships.
  • vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

I hope it isnt a long neverending grind is level cap a reasonable goal in this game? Cause i know in rappelz the level cap is like lvl 100 the grind became pretty unbearable for me at lvl 18. i can deal with a grind if its like City of Heroes though but nothing worse than that. Well hopefully they have an open beta at some point so i can see for myself. quite possibly if the game is super awesome i wont care bout the grind ill just enjoy the journey

• Ra'veRa've Member Posts: 203
    I just found this game tonight.. I love the looks of the game and the bit i have read on reviews. I am without an MMO right now this might just be what im looking for
  • mixedguymixedguy Member Posts: 16

If anyone wants to learn more about this game goto the link below... It's a 2 page interview with the developers and a publisher of this game....

Granado Espada Interview - Click here
    Link^^^

Heres some info from the interview... By the way if anyone wonders why there calling it "Sword Of The New World" it's because they changed the name to that for the USA/Eur versions...

Jonric: With character creation being revamped for Sword of the New World, what choices will players have in this regard?

Grantley Day: As in current MMOs, players can choose the look and feel of their characters, but they cannot modify attribute points; they are set per different character classes. But through the multi-character control system, players can tailor their parties however they see fit, with any of the classes available in the game.

Jonric: What type of advancement system does the game employ, and how will it function as characters progress over the long term?

Grantley Day: There is a leveling system within the game, similar to most RPG and MMO titles. The level cap (breaking news!) is 100. However, characters also have skills and stances that can be changed easily within the game. These skills level at a different pace and have a level cap of 25. Each character has access to a minimum of four different skill trees, each containing a variety of abilities.

This is actually a cool feature of Sword of the New World, where characters such as those in the Scout class are very versatile. They function as the primary healer when they are using their Healing tree, but once they equip weapons they transform into the assassin / thief class within the game. Let's say you are on a raid with 10 people, and you are overstocked on healing. You can simply switch stance and become a serious damage dealer, then, when you get to the boss, they can switch back to healing. How cool is that!

Jonric: How significant is combat within the overall play? What kind of experience can we anticipate in this element of the game?

Grantley Day: Sword of the New World is VERY combat-oriented; if you're not killing a monster every few seconds, your not killing fast enough. The game really emphasizes area of effect damage dealers, with every class having an ability that allows it to deal significant damage to large groups of monsters.

The game isn't designed to take 60 seconds to kill one monster, collect its loot and move to the next one; it's designed to kill 100 monsters in that 60, and then spend the next 60 collecting all the loot that dropped.

Jonric: In terms of adversaries, will the game provide much opportunity to fight other players? And will it have a broad range of NPC opponents?

Grantley Day: Sword of the New World has both the ability for player vs. player and player vs. environment play. But there are also multiple dueling modes such as family vs. family and city vs. city. That's right - your guild can own specific regions within the game, and can be challenged for them.

With regards to the PvE portion of the title, the game has hundreds of different monsters to defeat at various levels, including bosses and sub-bosses.

Jonric: While it may be early for much detail, what are you willing to tell our readers about the overall game setting and the associated story elements?

Grantley Day: The gameworld falls within the same size range as current MMOs in the North American market, and the game has full instanced dungeons, bosses and quests. It also has a full trading system and auction house.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

You have to remember, listing 1000 features doesn't make a good mmo.  Consolidating your features down is what made this game incredible.  Just the sheer amount of polish that went into it; and just how fluid everything is.  Also the gameplay is completely unique; its very refreshing from the mish mash of mmo's I have played in the last 4 years.  Same gameplay 1 more feature kinda deal doesn't really work for this game.  The game is almost totally different from every other mmo on the market, and in a good way.

• boommer99boommer99 Member UncommonPosts: 309

OP: I love you but I have to agree with some here.  You have a VERY valid point but you don't make it well... I will try to now.

1.SoNW is not GW.  The NPC's are not NPCs.  YOU play ALL 3 characters ALL the time.   If you want a chracter to attack, you make them do that.  To assist you in this seemingly daunting task, there are Auto AI modes, inwhich you can have your characters attack mobs normally, or collect loot (and you can set different characters to do different things).  The AI is EXTREMELY intelligent.  It knows where the mobs are, and who to fight.  If the healer is getting attacked the AI will kill the mob it is on and assist the healer.  Again, this mode is 'assistance' because while you are playing you have the abiiltiy  to make characters casts certian spell and special moves.  They will turn the tide of any battle.  K2 Network has said they are going to ADD UI features to help with the learning curve, they haven't been more specific (but I hope that means an end to qwerty hotkeys and click to move).

2. The graphics are STUNNING.  I am currently in the beta of LotRO (NDA is lifted so I can say that now).  That game has better graphics than oblvion... the problem is, you have to have a high, HIGH end machine.  SoNW has AMAZING graphics on low end machines AND they scale to the high HIGH end machine.

3. SoNW allows for AWESOME customization, and K2 Network says they are adding EVEN MORE!  You get new visual armors every 20 levels and new costume pieces (which change the way your character looks) every few levels.  So unlike in WoW where EVERYONE is in the top armor and EVERYONE likes alike, you can make your characters VERY different right out the gate and KEEP them there through-out. 

Aside from Visual Customization, each stance allows you to customize your individual character.  You can become a pro at "Heaven of Hell" a stance that lets you fight with a blade AND a gun.  OR you can be a Healer or primary damage dealer AND switch back and forth ON THE FLY!.  I have NEVER been allowed to control who my character is and what they can do the way SoNW allows me to.  The stance system ALSO gives you something to do AFTER you have reached max level.  Because while you may have maxed out some of your favorite stances there are other stances that require you to max out stances you have not yet touched so that you can gain them.  BUT, there is very little 'grinding' in any of this.  (See squad based combat below)

4. PvP - SoNW allows for you and your friends to create a guild (called faction).  You can have open war with other factions, or PvE to take control of different zones (and cities) that rival factions will PvP over for some time.  AND controling a zone give bonuses to your faction.  Though you cannot opening PvP (A la L2) you can still duel other players and you have a PvP ranking based on your dueling and other PvP'ing.

5. Solo play vs Squad- You can play this game without ever interacting with another player.  Level alone, quest alone, PvP alone... OR you can squad up with friends and tackle hard Raid mobs, or instances.  OR PvP with your faction.  Or just train on harder mobs than you could alone.  The game is totally about how YOU want to play it and when.

6. Economy and Items - I touched on costumes and Armor changes earlier but items have additional benefits they can drop with.  Those benefits can make the difference between life and death.  AND you can sell your items via store (K2 Network promised an auction house as well).  So if you find an item you cannot use, you can sell it and make some good vis (the currency of SoNW) off it.

In the end SoNW has SOOO many great things going on its amazing.  It is a BLAST to play.  I don't even like to log out because I am having so much fun, whether I am playing with my new friends on the SG servers or alone.  There is SOOOO much to do and enjoy.  I even find myself just stopping and looking at all the beautiful graphics.  There are soo many awesome spots to RP in even.  They truely thought of everything.  In my mind SoNW is the next step in MMOs.  And please this is SOOO far from the NPC systems other games have done its amazing.

One of the best games of the year, that is getting NO respect.

---
    Bartle Test Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 26.67%, Socializer 66.67%