Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About the 8 skills

Ltn.AamukasaLtn.Aamukasa Member Posts: 3

I have read about Guild Wars quite a lot and after reading the F.A.G and the forum I have not seen any suggestions regarding the 8 skills you can take with you on a mission.

So here goes.

I think that because Guild Wars is going to be an rpg your character should have all the skills he has learned in his adventures available to use in every mission you go to. This is because limiting the use to only 8 skills your character isn`t who he is and whose role tou are playing. I don`t know if you understand me so I try to explain. IMO the character feels handicapped if he can`t use all the skills he has learned. If the devs have already made their minds about this issue then it`s ok. I do have an suggestion about the skills though. Would it be possible to an character to choose 8 main skills for an mission but he could also have the other skills along with him in the same mission. This would work like this:

Before an mission you would choose 8 skills as an primary skills with no handicap to the them and the rest of your learned skills would just tag along with you but they would have an handicap feature on. Like fire arrow does 50-75 % less damage or healing heals you 50-75 % less etc etc. I don`t know about you guys but when i play rpg`s I totally immerse to my character and would feel the Guild Wars system kinda limits my game experience... Could be just me though image

Ok thats my first post in here so be nice with your comments =)

ps. Can`t wait to play the game!

Comments

• Ltn.AamukasaLtn.Aamukasa Member Posts: 3
    Hahahah image didn`t ofcourse mean to say the F.A.G but the F.A.Q image

• NaxxNaxx Member Posts: 6

Look if you just got 8 skills with you then you have to choose carrefully, you must pick the ones that suites the situation , so that means you have 2 got a strategy..

and if take all your skills with you it would be just another "MMORPG"(okay Guild Wars isn't a real MMORPG, because of the "persistant world" and the "instance world"...correct me if i'm wrong).

-----------------------------------
    Free your Mind!

Free your Mind!

• Tech_FiendTech_Fiend Member Posts: 9
    Of course that is assuming that you're going solo, if your in a group, the 8 skills doesn't have that much of an impact, well it does but you'll have help. Besides, it's mmorpg, wouldn't you be adventuring with friends?

Tech Fiend
    -Technology is your Friend-

Tech Fiend

• Ltn.AamukasaLtn.Aamukasa Member Posts: 3

Yes ofcourse im planning on playing with my friends. Actually I believe I will never do socalled solo missions but instead always travel in a group of adventurers. It`s just that I dont want to have to leave my other skills behind when going on mission. Thats why I suggested the handicap system that would allow us to keep our skills all the time, but we would have to choose 8 skills that would not have any handicap on a particular mission. But I think it`s fine the way it is already. just making some thoughts.

Btw How do you know before an mission/quest what skills are you gonna need? Does the quest giver tell you like hints or whats the deal? If so I think the hints should be a bit like puzzle that you would have to solve with your friends before selecting the skills. Not so that the NPC will tell you that you need firearrows for this mission, but instead like there are icetrolls in those caves *hint hint* and you should have do the math with your friends.

• Tech_FiendTech_Fiend Member Posts: 9
    I'm not sure if you "know" what type of mission/quest your going on, but as with any adventure game you probably have a "general idea" about what may happen. Like, a rescue mission your going need healers, cause breaking in and breaking out is going to hurt. Attack such and such or so and so your going to need heavy firepower. Not that GW is a basic as this but you get the idea. Besides, the E3 demo will let us see the structure of the game, even if they change or upgrade everything, we will know the basics of encounters, quests, etc. Does anyone know if the demo accounts will be saved?

Tech Fiend

Tech Fiend

• them4trixthem4trix Member UncommonPosts: 19

Originally posted by Ltn.Aamukasa

I have read about Guild Wars quite a lot and after reading the F.A.G and the forum I have not seen any suggestions regarding the 8 skills you can take with you on a mission.
    So here goes.
    I think that because Guild Wars is going to be an rpg your character should have all the skills he has learned in his adventures available to use in every mission you go to. This is because limiting the use to only 8 skills your character isn`t who he is and whose role tou are playing. I don`t know if you understand me so I try to explain. IMO the character feels handicapped if he can`t use all the skills he has learned. If the devs have already made their minds about this issue then it`s ok. I do have an suggestion about the skills though. Would it be possible to an character to choose 8 main skills for an mission but he could also have the other skills along with him in the same mission. This would work like this:
    Before an mission you would choose 8 skills as an primary skills with no handicap to the them and the rest of your learned skills would just tag along with you but they would have an handicap feature on. Like fire arrow does 50-75 % less damage or healing heals you 50-75 % less etc etc. I don`t know about you guys but when i play rpg`s I totally immerse to my character and would feel the Guild Wars system kinda limits my game experience... Could be just me though

they just did so that u have to make a choice of wich set of skills u think is best to deal with ur current missions or quests. i dont agree with u on taking all ur skills for 2 reasons.

first: if u have like 300 skills?! how u gonna find them all and use um all in battle!?

second: even if u could take all ur skills and now where to find them quickly ur character will never have enough mana (mp/ magic points whatever u call it) and the battle never takes u longer then 5 minutes (against 1 group) so u wont have time to cast all the spells and skills.

• TalynTalyn Member UncommonPosts: 587

If you haven't noticed yet, GW isn't quite like every other online RPG out there. Bottom line: it's an action RPG not your typical MMO where you only learn say 30 or so skills ever and you can put them all on your hotbars. The point of GW is much like Magic: the Gathering -- you collect hundreds of skills (cards) and you try to create a build (deck) of just a few cards you think would be best in the situation or zone you're in. Being able to create so many builds for certain circumstances is what keeps the game fresh for a lot of people.

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

In WoW you take all your skills with you everywhere you go and, imho, it's a mess. You end up with skill buttons running all across the bottom and side of your screen. GW gives you a kind of limited skill "suitcase", so you have to pack carefully. But then, in my opinion, that's half the fun. In WoW you end up using the same skills over and over and over again. In GW, you really learn what skills are right for certain situations.

I think the skill system GW uses is much better. It just takes a while to get used to.

• bigtime102bigtime102 Member UncommonPosts: 177

I like the skill cap, but it should be limited to combat. When youre safe you should be able to switch out skills for other ones without having to goto a town.

This would help solo PvE alot since every area is different and you need to customize a skillset for that particular area it can get tediouse going back to town switching back and for from one build to another and updating all your armor with the correct buffs whenever you enter a new area with new monsters.

It would be nice if you could change your skills while in the field with some restrictions. You'd still have a limit of using 8 skills at once, but lets say when your safe and by activating some item with some sort of timer you can switch to another skill template you setup in town. That would just cut out the unecessary time sink of choosing your skills in town and you can keep fighting through a more seamless world without uneccessary interuption. But since this world isnt seamless and areas are relatively small between outposts its not that much of a problem. But when the areas get bigger and the monsters more diverse like it will in gw2 you should be allowed to switch your skills in the field.

• patri0tzpatri0tz Member UncommonPosts: 185

Originally posted by them4trix

So here goes.
    Before an mission you would choose 8 skills as an primary skills with no handicap to the them and the rest of your learned skills would just tag along with you but they would have an handicap feature on. Like fire arrow does 50-75 % less damage or healing heals you 50-75 % less etc etc. I don`t know about you guys but when i play rpg`s I totally immerse to my character and would feel the Guild Wars system kinda limits my game experience... Could be just me though

they just did so that u have to make a choice of wich set of skills u think is best to deal with ur current missions or quests. i dont agree with u on taking all ur skills for 2 reasons.

first: if u have like 300 skills?! how u gonna find them all and use um all in battle!?

second: even if u could take all ur skills and now where to find them quickly ur character will never have enough mana (mp/ magic points whatever u call it) and the battle never takes u longer then 5 minutes (against 1 group) so u wont have time to cast all the spells and skills.

Whoa... how many points do you have allocated to your Thread Necromancy attribute?

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

Originally posted by patri0tz

Whoa... how many points do you have allocated to your Thread Necromancy attribute?

12 + 3 + 1 (+1 for Golden Egg +1 for Grail of Might +1 for Thread Necromancy offhand)

so 19

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by semantikron

Originally posted by patri0tz

12 + 3 + 1 (+1 for Golden Egg +1 for Grail of Might +1 for Thread Necromancy offhand)

so 19

He is obviously running one of the most damaging forum builds there are:  TN/LS

Thread Necro / Leet Speak ---took me a minute to plow through the grammar of the response.

You never know when they are going to attack...could be right away, or could be 3 months...

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• Sovren1Sovren1 Member Posts: 312

Damn this thread is old...2004?

• endlesoneendlesone Member Posts: 109

So here goes.

I think this was created right before the game was released...the OP is talking in the future tense about it, LOLZ!

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• patri0tzpatri0tz Member UncommonPosts: 185

Originally posted by 8hammer8

So here goes.

I think this was created right before the game was released...the OP is talking in the future tense about it, LOLZ!

Lol yeah - check out post #6... he's even talking about the E3 demo in future tense.

That's funny...E3 was the first time I played the game.  I was walking around and they had a cool set up (and hotties roaming around helping....ahhh the old E3 days), so I decided to check it out.  I remember I played a warrior and just got PWNED (yes in all caps, that is how bad it was) as I did not have a clue about the game.  But I was intrigued and ended up picking it up 1 month after it was released and have ben playing ever since.

So comedy that this thing has been raised from the dead...

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

and here it goes , my 2 cents heh

the reason is simple

if you could take all the skills there would be just 1000 skills a person could have , and like this there are a brtual amount of possible skills combinations.

its not about how many skills or what skills you have , its about how you combine the skills you have , its way more interesting.