Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OK, what's the point?

SaranthSaranth Member UncommonPosts: 269

I have been trying real hard to like this beautiful game, but before i go any further I have some questions.

1. Is it just me or is the interface very...well...incomplete?  It just seems unfinished and the windows cant be adjusted to make the text fit.

2. Is the help system broken?  The help window comes up totally blank.

3. Slash commands; are there any that work?  How do you shout?

4. PVP...what the hell?  I got killed at 1st and 2nd level by people camping the little dogs we have to kill.  (none of my friends will play L2 for this reason alone)

5. What is the point of the game?  Kill a dog, wolf, frog, orc....yadda yadda yadda.  What am I supposed to be doing?

Someone with some insight please clue me in.

Comments

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Saranth

I have been trying real hard to like this beautiful game, but before i go any further I have some questions.

1. Is it just me or is the interface very...well...incomplete?  It just seems unfinished and the windows cant be adjusted to make the text fit.

Yes, the system is pretty incomplete.  Currently you cannot ignore people in shout, PM, local, and trade.  The words do not wrap properly as the Korean translation when converted to English was not properly handled.  Also the user interface chat window is just to small.  All of this was suppose to be fixed in C1 but the way they messed that up, I highly doubt you'll see any progress in the chat area for at least 2 months.

2. Is the help system broken?  The help window comes up totally blank.

Help window doesnt work, nor does the friend list.  You can add a friend but the list interfeace itself doesn't work.  The only help you'll get is from friends in the game or to petition a GM (which an average wait is around 2-5 hours...unless you are stuck somewhere)

3. Slash commands; are there any that work?  How do you shout?

Here's the list:

!   =Shout.  Example !Hey everyone  " =PM. Example "En1Gma hey how are ya  /GM = summons a GM box

4. PVP...what the hell?  I got killed at 1st and 2nd level by people camping the little dogs we have to kill.  (none of my friends will play L2 for this reason alone)

PKers tend to hang in the newbie zones as many of them are level 4 or under as they cannot delevel if they die.  For the most part they are griefers.  You just need to find a spot that isnt filled with newbies.  The Pkers in the newbie area is bad on all servers on Talking Island.  Chances are you are on Talking Island (Human starting place)

5. What is the point of the game?  Kill a dog, wolf, frog, orc....yadda yadda yadda.  What am I supposed to be doing?

When you click on a creature, a top box in the center of the screen will appear with the creature name on it.  DarkBlue = Too Easy, Blue = Easy,  Green = Somewhat easy, White = Your level, Yellow = Challenging, Red = Almost impossible 

Killing Greens and whites are your best bet.

Someone with some insight please clue me in.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• SaranthSaranth Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Thank you for the information.  I guess, I'll wait a few months to purchase it.

• DakkanonDakkanon Member Posts: 289

MMORPG's are all tedious, in one aspect or another. Kill kill kill kill kill, level, kill  kill kill kill level, etc etc. That's how all MMO's are really. After a while it gets to be boring. It's up to you to make it fun. Developers has done there best to allow you to get the most out of the game.

It had taken me a week of playing to get use to the controls. I'm an EQ vet, and I like the ASDW movement keys. The point and click just felt down right unnatural. But, eventually, I did get use to it.

It wasn't till around lvl 13 the game started to improve. I didn't have a guild, nor had RL friends playing. So, after being alone for so long, the game seemded to lose it's spunk. However, I was fortunate to meet a few other players, group up  and kill kill kill kill, Level, kil kill kill Level, etc. while chatting and joking around. Making the game 10x more fun. Now I'm a part of a Clan and Alliance, and the game just keeps getting better. Just keep in mind, phat lewt isn't easy to get. The drops are untra rare, it doesn't matter what lvl of item it is, all are rare. So far, I have gotten 1 drop, an item that I didn't need. It wasn't a desired item as well, but nonetheless, it was awsome to finally have an item drop.

Be patient with any MMO's you play. They're all the same, as far as kill and level. It's tedious, but it can be fun.

-Dakkanon
    LineageII Knight of Dark Lotus

-Dakkanon
    Paradigm, an Accretia Clan

• SaranthSaranth Member UncommonPosts: 269

Dont' get me wrong, I'm not a newbie to MMO's.  I've been playing AO since just after beta, and have played almost every major MMO to come out since then.  Some I liked, some I loved, and some were just aweful.

But for some reason I can't wrap my head around this one.  Maybe it's the interface translation from Korea to the US that is killing me. Or maybe the racial wars in the chat box.  But either way I'm missing the point of the game.

I don't mind the level gring if it's part of a story, but so far I haven't seen this.

Saranth...

aka Brokenlizard - ao.warcry.com forum moderator

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Originally posted by Saranth
    Dont' get me wrong, I'm not a newbie to MMO's.  I've been playing AO since just after beta, and have played almost every major MMO to come out since then.  Some I liked, some I loved, and some were just aweful.
    But for some reason I can't wrap my head around this one.  Maybe it's the interface translation from Korea to the US that is killing me. Or maybe the racial wars in the chat box.  But either way I'm missing the point of the game.
    I don't mind the level gring if it's part of a story, but so far I haven't seen this.
    Saranth...
    aka Brokenlizard - ao.warcry.com forum moderator

that sums up how i feel almost perfectly.

i dont mind a grind when theres other things to lose yourself in.

but in trying to RP, being pk'ed and called "rp fag" kills that idea.

theres no story to get involved in.

therefore, there is ONLY a grind to the high end content, which form what i've seen of the game performance at low levels, will not go nearly as smoothly as they say it will.

that just doesn't justify dropping 50 bones for not to mention the monthly rapage after that

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• DakkanonDakkanon Member Posts: 289

There has been a number of issues with racial statements, which lead to meaningless PK'ing. I've seen it, i've been a victum. However, the number of player who enjoy the game for what it is out number the idiots who are narrow minded. After release, L2 will improve dramatically, especailly since most all the players will be looking forward to Seiges. Which will lower the meaningless PK'ers. Given, you'll bump into someone who'll assume you're KSing him or whatnot and he'll attempt to PK you just to get even. But, Game Rage, like Road Rage happens.

All in all, the game play is awsome. it's not like watching paint dry, as some might say. My personal experience has been good overall.

Whether you continue to play or not, I wish you the best of luck. If you do happen to continue to play, you're welcome to give me a tell.

Erica Server

-Dakkanon
    LineageII Knight of Dark Lotus

-Dakkanon
    Paradigm, an Accretia Clan