Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Being EvE crazy

RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

I have been reading a bit on the whole EvE incident.

One thing strikes me.

How hugely adictive this game must be when individuals are blatantly ready to risk lucrative jobs in order to help their guilds ,

or are ready to involve in hacking, RL lying to spy on activities of other guilds. The stories of scams that took up to year to accomplish and largely involved RL communications. And even some phisical confrontations between players.

All this goes much beyond regular commitment to any other game.

I heared of MMO addiction. And i myself am mmo addictado , but this is just amazing.

It is hard to say where MMO ends and real life begins.

If being sucesful would be measured in driving some of its users virtually crazy and villing to go much beyond game. Eve wins hands down. And in fact all other MMOs should envy eve for this.

I just wonder what happens to those commited users , once they quit the game (for one reason or another)

Do they feel great loss of time ?

Cause , if some of this energy and resourcefulnes was implemented in real life , they would surely feel some benefit from it.

Like this its all goes away when you switch off your PC ...

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

Comments

• I found it very easy to walk away from EVE...not addictive in the least.
  • AmaraoAmarao Member UncommonPosts: 650
    Originally posted by poopypants

I found it very easy to walk away from EVE...not addictive in the least.
    agreed. I dont remember who said it, but someone on this forum once said "Eve is an interactive screensaver"
  • godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    EVE is like marmite, you either like it, or you hate it.

Personally, ive been addicted for over 3 years. Played 2 chars, in two completely different roles (industry/pvp) and Im still playing today. Main reason being is the skill system, I can set long time skill training, log off from EVE, have a break for a week and know when I get back, my friends wont have all over taken me and I can continue better then I was.

EVE is great I love it.

As for the wars, I hope BoB dies, bloody cheats.

---

• WARCRYtmWARCRYtm Member Posts: 875

Yes, my first MMO was DAoC (usualy the first is the most addictive) but i am much more addicted to EVE.

And with all this shiting thing, it didnt shaked the community.CCP have a new way to dont let this things happen again.

At this momet there are 30.556 adicted players plaing at this verry moment, and we are 3 hours away from the prime time.

• LasraikLasraik Member Posts: 170
    With the recent admissions of cheating, and CCP not doing much about it made it easy to walk away from EVE.
  • AmbassadorDvinnAmbassadorDvinn Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Originally posted by WARCRYtm

Yes, my first MMO was DAoC (usualy the first is the most addictive) but i am much more addicted to EVE.
    And with all this shiting thing, it didnt shaked the community.CCP have a new way to dont let this things happen again.
    At this momet there are 30.556 adicted players plaing at this verry moment, and we are 3 hours away from the prime time.
    Not all 30,556 are addicted.

Serious death penalties makes every close call an adrenaline rush, and every minor achievement a major victory. This alternative rule-set should be in all MMORPGs.

Originally posted by Vyre

Ok i am sorry  31.024 now (16minutes later)
  • GrederMcAlenGrederMcAlen Member Posts: 2

I personaly left eve 3 times ... came back 3 times.... and cant play any other MMO now because its simply not the same.... Eve Players interaction is simply not 3rd or 4th generation of MMORPG type its simply the perfect and ideal one.

And the Freedom to do or be anything or anyone is the biggest thing i bow before eve for.

all the roads lead to eVe.

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599
    Indeed ,

There is just some X factor in eve that makes people really mad about it.

For good or for bad

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• MMOG addiction is a very serious matter that will only get worse in the years to come; imagine how addictive the Virtual Reality MMOGs will be!

I usually catass the MMOGs I play - played Anarchy Online an average of 10 hours a day for more than 2 years - but i just couldn't get into EVE no matter what i did...I think I just need to have an avatar to run around with; that and some content.
    Originally posted by Lasraik

With the recent admissions of cheating, and CCP not doing much about it made it easy to walk away from EVE.
    CCP are removing all Dev accounts that been exposed as to their true identity. 40 mil chars are being deleted and the makers have to reroll. Also the T2 BPO's given to BoB through these means are being removed from BoB's possession and put back into T2 circulation.

"not doing much", is an understatement. Besides sacking the Dev, I dont think theres much more CCP can do without taking on bias. The person who found the evidence is a hacker and has participated in an illegal act, you cant really dispute this nor can you invalide CCP's actions however unsensitive it is towards the situation. Im sure that the Dev involved has severely damaged his career and future promotion prospects.

Many alliances in EVE are mobilising to fight LV & BoB and huge numbers of players are flocking to these alliances to fight BoB. We have a major EVE WORLD WAR which started yesterday! Frankly BoB, deserve to lose, but whether they will? Hard to say.

---

• ArcticblueArcticblue Member Posts: 270

Well the truth is there, CCP did NOT sack the Dev who did this... they say they have reprimanded him, removed his character (and other exposed CCP employees).

In addition the bpo's in questions where not removed from the game to the whole insident where exposed by the Hacker so BoB kept these bpo's for like 6 months.

Also I belive that CCP have handled this very poorly so as a result I have now canceled one of my 2 characters, the last character of mine I will cancel in near future because of this.

They will stay canceled to CCP have fixed this whole situation.

Now to the addictionthing, I have played this game for 3 years now and yeah it can feel addictive but because of the skillsystem I got the freedom to do something else too without loosing behind too much.

I can now walk away from the game, sure I will miss it ... but with how this whole incident have happend and no I don't have anything to do with BoB or being affected by BoB's warfare in any way but I just don't like cheats... simply as that.

Originally posted by Arcticblue

Well the truth is there, CCP did NOT sack the Dev who did this... they say they have reprimanded him, removed his character (and other exposed CCP employees).
    In addition the bpo's in questions where not removed from the game to the whole insident where exposed by the Hacker so BoB kept these bpo's for like 6 months.

Also I belive that CCP have handled this very poorly so as a result I have now canceled one of my 2 characters, the last character of mine I will cancel in near future because of this.
    Now to the addictionthing, I have played this game for 3 years now and yeah it can feel addictive but because of the skillsystem I got the freedom to do something else too without loosing behind too much.
    I can now walk away from the game, sure I will miss it ... but with how this whole incident have happend and no I don't have anything to do with BoB or being affected by BoB's warfare in any way but I just don't like cheats... simply as that.
    Sacking the employee really makes no difference to the situation. It wont change the fact bob had the BPO's for 6 months. It wont reduce BoB's massive ISK resources. It wont bring back all those blown up ships and capsules which bob were responsible for. It will only cost one stupid individuals job. All it serves to do is contend you to the thoughts that one person burned for the actions of BoB, which imo is immature and cowardly. You want to get back at BoB, join the 1000's ingame preparing to wipe them from the face of EVE.

I dont agree with what the developer did, but I think quiting becuase of actions outside of CCP's control is ridiculous.

This person will lose privelages for abusing them, but should it really cost his job? What if this said person is a major game designer who is necessary for the game to continue. What if this person has up until this moment, done no wrong? I have no doubt the dev will lose the trust and respect of his coworkers and any eligibility for a promotion. I doubt CCP would allow this person to be in a position to do something like this again.

Nobody quits over something this trivial, I think you were wanting to quit for a long time, but you were just waiting for a reason.

---

• LasraikLasraik Member Posts: 170

They didn't follow their own policies and procedures.  The employee is still at CCP, he wasn't fired.  Most of the items were taken back, but not all were.  This happened back in July, nothing was done at the time.  The only action that was taken was after it became public.  What else are they hiding?  There are always mysterious bugs that somehow help BoB in battle, you think thats a coincidence?  I don't even care about BoB, I've never had any direct contact with them.  It doesn't matter which corp it was, they were given an unfair advantage over other paying customers.

www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/68591-Jumpgate-EVEs-Devs-and-the-Friends-They-Keep

The player who leaked the info had all of his accounts banned.  The players involved with the Dev and knew it was cheating weren't banned.  They are still playing.

So by not punishing the players involved who knew they were cheating, not firing the employee and not taking back all of the items that were recieved illegally... I would say that's not much.

I loved EVE and CCP.  I encouraged people to play EVE, defended it from anti-EVE fanboys.  But this made companies like Mythic look spotless in comparison.   The sandbox is great, the game is great.  But it's not great when other players have an unfair advantage that is given to them by the company that is supposed to prevent those kinds of activities, not endorse them and not enforce their own policy.

I'm dissapointed more than anything, but some people are blinded by their addiction and can't see the obvious. 

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by Rattrap

Indeed ,

There is just some X factor in eve that makes people really mad about it.

For good or for bad

could be the pvp.

unlike other games, pvp really does boil down to "who can call the most reinforcements the quickest".  anyone that says otherwise, is in denial, lost, or a liar.  yes, that is a generalization of people taking an opposing view.  it's also a statement coming from an online pvper that started with diablo, then ultima online and pretty much every online game since.  there's never a "fair" fight, rats don't look for fair, they look for easy.  0.0 is ALWAYS a matter of who can call in more reinforcements the quickest, or can run away and hide like cowards until said reinforcements arrive.  on occasion, there will be two fairly even matched forces.  even matched forces does not mean one-three people vs one-three people.  imo the pvp really leaves a lot to be desired.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

They didn't follow their own policies and procedures.  The employee is still at CCP, he wasn't fired.  Most of the items were taken back, but not all were.  This happened back in July, nothing was done at the time.  The only action that was taken was after it became public.  What else are they hiding?  There are always mysterious bugs that somehow help BoB in battle, you think thats a coincidence?  I don't even care about BoB, I've never had any direct contact with them.  It doesn't matter which corp it was, they were given an unfair advantage over other paying customers.
    www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/68591-Jumpgate-EVEs-Devs-and-the-Friends-They-Keep
    The player who leaked the info had all of his accounts banned.  The players involved with the Dev and knew it was cheating weren't banned.  They are still playing.
    So by not punishing the players involved who knew they were cheating, not firing the employee and not taking back all of the items that were recieved illegally... I would say that's not much.
    I loved EVE and CCP.  I encouraged people to play EVE, defended it from anti-EVE fanboys.  But this made companies like Mythic look spotless in comparison.   The sandbox is great, the game is great.  But it's not great when other players have an unfair advantage that is given to them by the company that is supposed to prevent those kinds of activities, not endorse them and not enforce their own policy.
    I'm dissapointed more than anything, but some people are blinded by their addiction and can't see the obvious. 

QFT -- will mmorpg pick up the torch and run with it?

will we get some interviews, or at least outside investigations about all this craziness at eve/ccp?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550

The felon who used criminal acts to leak the info had all of his accounts banned. 

Fixed for you.
  • Pk4UPk4U Member Posts: 127

I closed my 3 accounts when I found out. It makes a HUGE difference that T20 is still employed. Their policy for this is termination. In this case it did not happen, and he is still in a position where he can do it again. And now other employees (now secure in the knowledge if you are important, even cheating won't get you fired) will do this as well.

And the lack of action + cover up is even worse. Bob was allowed to continue profiting from these the BPOs (at the very least) even after the incident was discovered. If it didn't become public, they never would have lost them.

Could you provide a link listing their policies & procedures regarding rogue Devs?

As for the bugs, tbh i'd like CCP to investigate these issues. But what more can they do beyond questioning believed suspects, and what will those employee's do? Deny it. TBH, im 50/50, I agree that sacking him would make an example to other Devs. But in doing so,I also feel its needless, it will have no effect on BoB's current position of power.

You make wild assumptions if you are under the impression CCP know all the culprits involved. Fact is, we dont know anything of CCP's investigations as its all been kept confidential.

I am an EVE fanboi, I dont agree with whats happened. But quiting is OTT imo. CCP have a head between their shoulders and ive no doubt they've seen the issues at hand. To assume they are working as a cohesive group to mold EVE to their wishes is ridiculous. This is the cause of a few rogue Devs and CCP are doing what they feel is best for their company, for the community and for their employees. They have provided an excellent service so far, that is why I continue to support them.

---

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    I'd like to see the Public site that states CCPs internal system of Punishments for actions, or I should say I'd like to see some one that quote's CCP's policy to post that link.

That said The only thing that was stated close to that was the CEO stating that if he was NOT on holiday at the time he might have been tougher. I do not blame someone who is in a position that they are not normally in to take a more cautious route, its easy to say that you wouldn't  be cautious but untill you are in that situation you'll never know. And since the Active management at CCP did not fire him he stays working. It is bad buisness practice to change a discplinary ruling after one has already been made.
  • kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717
    Originally posted by godpuppet

Originally posted by Arcticblue

Sacking the employee really makes no difference to the situation. It wont change the fact bob had the BPO's for 6 months. It wont reduce BoB's massive ISK resources. It wont bring back all those blown up ships and capsules which bob were responsible for. It will only cost one stupid individuals job. All it serves to do is contend you to the thoughts that one person burned for the actions of BoB, which imo is immature and cowardly. You want to get back at BoB, join the 1000's ingame preparing to wipe them from the face of EVE.

I dont agree with what the developer did, but I think quiting becuase of actions outside of CCP's control is ridiculous.

This person will lose privelages for abusing them, but should it really cost his job? What if this said person is a major game designer who is necessary for the game to continue. What if this person has up until this moment, done no wrong? I have no doubt the dev will lose the trust and respect of his coworkers and any eligibility for a promotion. I doubt CCP would allow this person to be in a position to do something like this again.

Nobody quits over something this trivial, I think you were wanting to quit for a long time, but you were just waiting for a reason.

What is trival to you is not trivial to me.  I have played eve about 3 years.  There was always the speculation that BOB had an advantage. wheather its true or not I don't know or care.  However the fact it took 6 months for this whole mess to become public and it would not have except for a whistle blower, is why I quit.

Do I want eve to fail ?  No.  But I will not give my money to them anymore.

So it may not matter to you but it does to me.  Enjoy eve its a wonderful game but sadly I will no longer play it.

• NooblordNooblord Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by Vyre

Ok i am sorry  31.024 now (16minutes later) almost 32 players, impressive.

image .............image

Last time i saw there was 32.046 players online
  • NooblordNooblord Member Posts: 202

Almost 33 now... Crazy!

image .............image

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Nooblord

Almost 33 now... Crazy! Congratulations, you're such an ignorant dumbass you failed to realize that ,(comma) and .(period) are used differently when displaying numerical values in countries other than the U.S. and A.

Thumbs up chief.