Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HD-DVD capacity greater than Blu-Ray

xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587
Ok, so we all probably know that the capacity right now is

Blu-Ray:

single- 25GB

Dual- 50GB

HD-DVD:

single- 15GB

dual-30GB (now 51GB)

But, Toshiba has released a new HD-DVD that can hold 51GB, making it have a greater storage capacity than its competitor, Blu-Ray.

Also from a price standpoint HD-DVD is cheaper. the prices run around:

HD-DVD:

Computer HD-DVD Drive- $199

TV HD-DVD Player- $299 (or $199 if you count the 360 add-on)

Blu-Ray:

Computer Blu-Ray Drive- $565

TV Blu-Ray Player- $800 (or $500 if you count the PS3)

And then also the price of the actual movie itself:

Blu-Ray: $24.99 (average)

HD-DVD: $19.99 )average)

So, my question is: who do you think will win? (dont start flame wars please)

Comments

• xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587
    ~bump~

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047
    Originally posted by xpyrofuryx

But, Toshiba has released a new HD-DVD that can hold 51GB, making it have a greater storage capacity than its competitor, Blu-Ray.

Link plx.

I think that ultimately bluray will win, manufacturing costs will eventually go down, and it has double the space, even if toshiba did come out with a 51 GB  HD DVD its 1 GB wont make a difference.

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Ok, so we all probably know that the capacity right now is

Blu-Ray:

single- 25GB

Dual- 50GB

HD-DVD:

single- 15GB

dual-30GB (now 51GB)

Also from a price standpoint HD-DVD is cheaper. the prices run around:

HD-DVD:

Computer HD-DVD Drive- $199

TV HD-DVD Player- $299 (or $199 if you count the 360 add-on)

Blu-Ray:

Computer Blu-Ray Drive- $565

TV Blu-Ray Player- $800 (or $500 if you count the PS3)

And then also the price of the actual movie itself:

Blu-Ray: $24.99 (average)

HD-DVD: $19.99 )average)

So, my question is: who do you think will win? (dont start flame wars please)
    Misinformation for the win...

Here's Current Bluray Capacities.
    Physical size Single layer capacity Dual layer capacity
    12 cm, single sided 25 GB (23.3 GiB) 50 GB (46.6 GiB)
    12 cm, double sided 50 GB (46.6 GiB) 100 GB (93.2 GiB)
    8 cm, single sided 7.8 GB (7.3 GiB) 15.6 GB (14.6 GiB)
    8 cm, double sided 15.6 GB (14.5 GiB) 31.2 GB (29 GiB)

And that is just Current.. TDK will soon be releasing their 200GB quad layer disk ( thats single sided) 50 Gigs per layer..

HD-DVD will not match Bluray in capacity ... the wavelenght limitations make it so.

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    The Wii will win...that's all this thread really boils down to anyway.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855

Yes i've heard of a 400gb blu-ray disc aswel being made in future.

Infact HK (creator of MGS4) says he wants to use Blu-ray 50b single layered discs because MGS4 is too big for 25gb and he doesn't want to use dual layer for some reason.

Also the 360 doesn't have a HD-DVD player as standard :P

So the biggest disc your getting outta the 360 is 9gb for games and the biggest outta the PS3 is like 200gb.
  • jorditrekkerjorditrekker Member Posts: 23
    How much does this capacity actually matter? according to >>this<< wiki, a single layer HD DVD will give you just over 2.5 hours HD video playback and BlueRay does 4.5 hours again, on a single layer.  Both are more than capable of holding/playing the majority of movies, which is ultimately where the moneys going to be made. 

So doesn't it just boil down to who can get the most of whatever respective player into peoples homes?  which in turn, slow start for PS3 withstanding, puts BlueRay in a very strong position.
    Originally posted by Draenor

The Wii will win...that's all this thread really boils down to anyway.
    lol, that got me a chuckle

But, to tell you the truth I dont think there will be a winner here. I think that most people wont even invest money in any of these until they find out who wins and I think by that time something bigger and better like holographic disks will be out. Because honestly if i really wanted to watch a movie or a show in HD then id just order it from my cable provider. or even just go on Xbox Live and rent a HD Movie, because this way i dont need a disk or a player.

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701
    Originally posted by jorditrekker

How much does this capacity actually matter? according to >>this<< wiki, a single layer HD DVD will give you just over 2.5 hours HD video playback and BlueRay does 4.5 hours again, on a single layer.  Both are more than capable of holding/playing the majority of movies, which is ultimately where the moneys going to be made. 

So doesn't it just boil down to who can get the most of whatever respective player into peoples homes?  which in turn, slow start for PS3 withstanding, puts BlueRay in a very strong position.
    http://wesleytech.com/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-replication-costs-revealed/

Since Bluray has the ability to hold more on a single layer.. of late it has been cheaper to make bluray disks than HD-DVD disks..

yes they are both enough to hold a movie.. but when you add the extras.... the 7.1 surround sound... the director commentary.... the alternate endings.. deleted scenes..

Multipile movies... Think of it this way... How much money can a company make is they can put the whole Lord of the Rings Trilogy on one bluray disk instead of three HD-DVDs

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Personally i feel its FAR too early to decide as the OP post shows the technology is still in development. Saying that tho id say that the wii will be at least second place  And right now in first place its the Xbox.

However the PS3 is being released in Europe i belive on the 23rd of this month so i expect to see numbers change to a more accurate count.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    Why the hell do you drones keep bickering and worrying about this? Its not like any of you are going to see any money or glory that is to be made from either format, so who cares?

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Seems to me this is just like the USB vs. firewire arguments I mean discussion.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

Originally posted by Briansho

how so?

God i hate USB, it always seems to fail.

Anyways more and more people are backing up blu-ray now :P Fact is the more PS3's that sell the less advantage HD-DVD has and when the good games come rolling in then i think blu-ray is going to win. People have a blu-ray players, most probally dont know what it is but they'll know in future.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

how so?

When one gets faster, the other comes out with something a little faster, then faster and back and forth.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

how so?

When one gets faster, the other comes out with something a little faster, then faster and back and forth.

The consumer wins.

• paadepaade Member Posts: 471
    Originally posted by Xzaro

The consumer wins. riiiight...
  • viadiviadi Member Posts: 816

ok right now people are talking about one winner and i dont think thats going to be the case what will most likley happen is this HD-DVD will win home movies etc and Blu-Ray will win on the PC and data storage markets

but if anyone builds a combi HD-DVD and Blue-Ray reader/writer thay will win all in all.

problem solved

Tin Foil hats dont work.. its all a conspiracy

Originally posted by viadi

ok right now people are talking about one winner and i dont think thats going to be the case what will most likley happen is this HD-DVD will win home movies etc and Blu-Ray will win on the PC and data storage markets
    but if anyone builds a combi HD-DVD and Blue-Ray reader/writer thay will win all in all.
     problem solved
    They already have them, unfortunately they are $999  But the price will drop.