Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To WoW or WoW not.

A budy of mine bought me WoW for Christmas and I played for the 30 days free these are my thoughts on WoW.

Character Creation - Not much to say here really. Bland, boring and sad. Felt like I was playing a game from 1995 with the lack of customization.

Into the world of WoW - Anyway, I made my toon (Gnome Rogue) and logged into the game. Watched the racial cenimatics and was pleased with how the gnomes are presented. I've always loved to play gnomes so this was right up my ally. The camera zooms behind my toon and I start playing.  I did all the starting quests and made lvl 6 and moved to the next area.  Took about an hour and to be honest my first impression of the game at this stage was. Could this be any easier? I sure hope it gets more involved later on. I won't bore you with all the details. Needless to say I made lvl 60 in 10 days played and sadly the game was always, always easy. SOme of the instances where intersting. The stairway fight in ZG was fun, Boss fight in Ulda was also interesting. Stratholme was by far my favorite instance for the look anyway but nothing real challenging at all. EVen the few raids I did where well, easy. I joined my friends guild and they had the Strats down for all bosses in most raid zones so It was very mechanic and boring.

Enviroments in the game are well done for the most part but, the cartoon feel was really a downer for me. They caused me to lose any immertion I could have gotten and the Character models are far to blocky and the female toons in the game had a very manish look.

The community not much to say here really. I found alot of rude and ignorant people in the game. /yelling such rediculous things constantly over and over and over. I ended up turning all public chans off. with the excpetion of /localdeffence. While there were some good people in my guild there were far more morons and elitists. I have never, ever seen such an immature player base before in my life. I was stunned by it really.

PvP - Basic and simple like the rest of the game. Best gear wins PvP is never really fun. Allthough I did have fun in AV but, WSG and AB were pretty pointless. I would join with my guildies and we would slaughter everyone. Why? Not because we were better skilled but because we had much better gear.

Tradeskills - All I can say about this is that there really isn't a point to it in this game. While I enjoyed engineering cause of the bombs and gnomish devices it was all pretty pointless. Seemed to me that tradeskills were an after thought for Blizzard. It was just plain bad and mindless.

In conclusion, I could say more about WoW and go into more details but, all in all in my 30 days of play I made it to 60 with my rogue and 52 with a warrior. It is a simple, non-challenging game. Cartoonish graphics that didn't appeal to me at all. A rude and immature community. I can see the mass appeal though as it doesn't take alot of effort to achieve in the game, one can solo all the way to 60(now 70) but, for me it just wasn't all that fun.

To me it just more proof that whats popular and the "in" thing is usually not at all that good.

Comments

• SUMB44SUMB44 Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by GodOGames

A budy of mine bought me WoW for Christmas and I played for the 30 days free these are my thoughts on WoW.
    Character Creation - Not much to say here really. Bland, boring and sad. Felt like I was playing a game from 1995 with the lack of customization.
    Into the world of WoW - Anyway, I made my toon (Gnome Rogue) and logged into the game. Watched the racial cenimatics and was pleased with how the gnomes are presented. I've always loved to play gnomes so this was right up my ally. The camera zooms behind my toon and I start playing.  I did all the starting quests and made lvl 6 and moved to the next area.  Took about an hour and to be honest my first impression of the game at this stage was. Could this be any easier? I sure hope it gets more involved later on. I won't bore you with all the details. Needless to say I made lvl 60 in 10 days played and sadly the game was always, always easy. SOme of the instances where intersting. The stairway fight in ZG was fun, Boss fight in Ulda was also interesting. Stratholme was by far my favorite instance for the look anyway but nothing real challenging at all. EVen the few raids I did where well, easy. I joined my friends guild and they had the Strats down for all bosses in most raid zones so It was very mechanic and boring.
    Enviroments in the game are well done for the most part but, the cartoon feel was really a downer for me. They caused me to lose any immertion I could have gotten and the Character models are far to blocky and the female toons in the game had a very manish look.
    The community not much to say here really. I found alot of rude and ignorant people in the game. /yelling such rediculous things constantly over and over and over. I ended up turning all public chans off. with the excpetion of /localdeffence. While there were some good people in my guild there were far more morons and elitists. I have never, ever seen such an immature player base before in my life. I was stunned by it really.
    PvP - Basic and simple like the rest of the game. Best gear wins PvP is never really fun. Allthough I did have fun in AV but, WSG and AB were pretty pointless. I would join with my guildies and we would slaughter everyone. Why? Not because we were better skilled but because we had much better gear.
    Tradeskills - All I can say about this is that there really isn't a point to it in this game. While I enjoyed engineering cause of the bombs and gnomish devices it was all pretty pointless. Seemed to me that tradeskills were an after thought for Blizzard. It was just plain bad and mindless.
    In conclusion, I could say more about WoW and go into more details but, all in all in my 30 days of play I made it to 60 with my rogue and 52 with a warrior. It is a simple, non-challenging game. Cartoonish graphics that didn't appeal to me at all. A rude and immature community. I can see the mass appeal though as it doesn't take alot of effort to achieve in the game, one can solo all the way to 60(now 70) but, for me it just wasn't all that fun.
    To me it just more proof that whats popular and the "in" thing is usually not at all that good.
    I would refer you to this review for more opinions on WoW: http://mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/115433

• cptbollockcptbollock Member Posts: 61

I carn't deny WOW's not a great game but it just doesn't hook me.I always play it for a month or so then return to it at a later date,if the crafting had of been better it may of been the game for me.I like to do a bit of everything in game craft,PVP,PVE,ect but it just misses on crafting for me,but it's still by far the best  MMORPG

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

It definately isnt the greatest game ever made, however it is one of the greatest on the market. Past games that were once good games are only a shodow of there former selves. Most games coming out cant seem to get all of it done good, either they have good gameplay/crappy graphics, good graphics/crappy gameplay, etc etc. However playing 10 hours a day for a month straight can burn anyone out of a game......and what is this challenge thing i hear so much about? Theres an mmo that is challenging? i havent see one...the only thing Ive seen, is one takes longer to grind to a higher level than another. If you know the ins and outs of mmos...they are all pretty much the same.

As far as the community....yeah its pretty poor. When you get 8 million customers, you have a high numbers of idiots and immature people on every server. But yeah, hands down , worsed community Ive ever played with. However there are many mature players on every server and highly mature guiilds.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
    Oh, I know its easy to level....but when did you find time to sleep and pvp during the month ....get a job or something.
  • unherdninjaunherdninja Member Posts: 331
    I played WoW for a mounth and realized that i enjoyed it but i stopped do to the price. You mentioned ignorant rude community or something like that. Well when i played everyone was quite nice. Also unlike most games people acully comunicated and had fun. For instance...me and my guild when into Ironforge one day and just started dances for no reason. There was about 30 of us there. I dont really see that in most other games. After words we all attacked Ogmmire or how ever you spell it and abveusly got killed. That wasnt the point though We were having fun. I do agree that the game is a little easy but i think its mainly because its meant for a larger crowd. In the end the game isnt really meant for hardcore mmo players looking for a hardcore game. I think its for people looking for a break from the real world .
  • ConfectaConfecta Member UncommonPosts: 40
    lol stop playing mmo :P most of mmos are same bullshit   i whant a mmo that makes ppl be able to take over land... :P
  • HubabubaHubabuba Member Posts: 229
    Originally posted by Bama1267

Oh, I know its easy to level....but when did you find time to sleep and pvp during the month ....get a job or something.

Yah this guy is just trolling, dunno why I'm bothering to reply other than to bust another troll.

He states that raids became mechanical, which means he had to run them at least twice.  Raid instances reset every 7 days so that means he was level 60 for at least 2 weeks.  He states he only played for 30 days.  If he played for 30 days, and raided for 2 weeks (14 days), that leaves 16 days for leveling.  He states that it took 10 days played to level.  10 days played = 240 hours.  240 hours / 16 days = 15 hours a day.

Yup, this guy is either lieing or needs a girlfriend.

• mystical283mystical283 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    lol more then likely he is lieing and needs a gf quick
  • naru21naru21 Member Posts: 1
    lol that's funny..me im more into wow..and my character is draenei shaman,.can you help me find a weapon that should fit to my character,but dont have enough gold so i think im gonna buy a gold to ol0ot.com..
  • RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599
    Philosophy behind WOW is pretty simple

If you can reach lvl 60 twice in 1 month -> WoW is certanly NOT the game for you. You have way to much time on your hands for casual MMO

You will burn your way trough the content like hot knife trough the butter.

There is lot of MMOs that are much better suited for power gamer : L2 comes to mind

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas