Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG Refuges Find New Home....

Comments

• FignarFignar Member CommonPosts: 417

In reply to the original poster:

I've been playing Vanguard for a while now in beta ( yes we all know what beta is) however when Vanguard does have the bugs fixed to a 80% completed state it is still an average game, it is not ground breaking and interms of technical complexity it is not as good as pre-cu SWG.  It's your run of the mill fantasy MMO with nothing ground breaking and doesn't enhance the MMO genre at all; it just re-hashes old ideas in a new GFX engine which also isn't as good as alot of "fan boy"s make out.

MMO's at the moment are very very poor and unless someone with some creativity and massive financial backing breaks the current cycle and creates something original and ground breaking then they will continue to be average.

Water cooled Intel Corei7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd 4.3GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM 2000Mhz - ASUS RAGE II EXTREME X58 Mobo - 2x HD 5870 in Crossfire X, OC'd 0.9Ghz core 1.3Ghz RAM - Dell 2407WFP Flat Panel LCD 24" 1920x1200

• gnarlsbarklygnarlsbarkly Member Posts: 28

This shill, um.. OP is the most fun I've seen at the mmorpg forums in the longest  time.  I say we get more ringers in here to keep me interested in checking these forums once again.

I'm getting flashbacks of "all i want for christmas is a psp"

pending

• milton1970milton1970 Member Posts: 347

Well I can't play fantasy games, wish I could but it won't happen. The market is flooded with them and all hold no appeal to me and countless others.

It's level based so that's an instant no-no. The whole point about pre-cu was the sandbox/skillpoint/mixedprof system.

We just want a pre-cu server, you can leave us to rot in there  for all we care just give us somewhere where we can be happy.

Our needs are simple and clear. Are our needs unrealistic? Maybe, maybe not we don't care, especially about Vangaurd

• TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by iskareot

Listen, Im not bursting bubbles here but trust me when I say...  a SWG vet does not just jump into another SOE product that easy.

Sorry, just making a common sense observation.
    This is true.  I know I would never touch that game based on SOE's involvement alone.  Even if SOE wasn't involved, the wow-like qualities absolutely do not interest me.
  • Irish003Irish003 Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Shayde

Wow.. I've seen threads go south and then I've seen this one.
    No shit, I feel like I just walked in on a f*&ked-up family therapy session. I think some people forgot to take their meds. Damn. I'm glad I wore my flame retardent jamies today. I don't agree w/ the OP, but damn I'm an old commmando and I can hardly bare the heat in this thread. Whew.

Rebel Col. Moshi Manawitz-Master Commando/Master Smuggler/Master Pilot-Pre NGE Vet.-Server:Chilistra-
    RIP April 04-Jan 06

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Nikoz78 is a good Vanboi for Sigil and SOE.  Keep up the good work.

But why don't the Vanbois do something useful, and take on the EVEangelists?  Only the Vanbois have the tenacity, dedication, and utter lack of shame to save us all from the EVEangelists.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• gunnythokgunnythok Member Posts: 268
    Hmm, maybe you all should try EVE as a new home.  14 day trials so you've no commitment outside time spent.  mmorpg.com even provides trial keys.  We'll have avatars soon, that'll be interesting.  But all the patches are free, pvp is open with police in empire/safespace,  the players run the economy, the politics, just about everything.  There's even ingame news based upon the goings on, be it player politics, dev events/patch days, or even npc news.  Also, the skill training system is based upon time and attributes,  not grinding and repetition.   Let's just say this, if you thought SWG was a world to live in, you'll be blown away by EVE.  When I started there were over 5000 playable starsystems, they've added 8 new regions to play in.   Our world keeps getting bigger, and you know how much you have to pay to get all the new content?  Your subscription fee, that's it.  Nothing else.  I started playing during the cold war expansion, since then I've seen red moon rising and now revelations.  All free, all in one game universe too, no splintering.  Ok, I'm raving now, so I'll cut it short, I hate long posts too.
  • kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825
    I'd  rather stay and play SWG while i wait for EMU than playing Vanguard , to many ripoff idea's fed to sigil from soe
  • ShadowLordsShadowLords Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by strikein

Hmm, maybe you all should try EVE as a new home.  14 day trials so you've no commitment outside time spent.  mmorpg.com even provides trial keys.  We'll have avatars soon, that'll be interesting.  But all the patches are free, pvp is open with police in empire/safespace,  the players run the economy, the politics, just about everything.  There's even ingame news based upon the goings on, be it player politics, dev events/patch days, or even npc news.  Also, the skill training system is based upon time and attributes,  not grinding and repetition.   Let's just say this, if you thought SWG was a world to live in, you'll be blown away by EVE.  When I started there were over 5000 playable starsystems, they've added 8 new regions to play in.   Our world keeps getting bigger, and you know how much you have to pay to get all the new content?  Your subscription fee, that's it.  Nothing else.  I started playing during the cold war expansion, since then I've seen red moon rising and now revelations.  All free, all in one game universe too, no splintering.  Ok, I'm raving now, so I'll cut it short, I hate long posts too.

I played Eve for a month or so. Eve isn't too bad. If you don't like having a toon (your ship is you), travel between locations takes for ever (20 mins or more ...depends where you go), You don't have feet (remember your ship is you) so your feet never touch ground, one long continious grind fest (you will NEVER run out of new skills to get).

The up side ... graphics are nice. Some ships look pretty funky, but graphics are nice. Just not my cup of tea.

I got my eye on Stargate Worlds.

• kordrialkordrial Member Posts: 160
    Originally posted by ShadowLords

I played Eve for a month or so. Eve isn't too bad. If you don't like having a toon (your ship is you), travel between locations takes for ever (20 mins or more ...depends where you go), You don't have feet (remember your ship is you) so your feet never touch ground, one long continious grind fest (you will NEVER run out of new skills to get).

The up side ... graphics are nice. Some ships look pretty funky, but graphics are nice. Just not my cup of tea.

I'm not bashin'  you, but I'd just like to point out that it used to take somebody that long to travel in SWG:C too, remember when starport shuttles had wait times of like 10 minutes? they removed that for "instant gratification."

I'd rather immersion :)

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by kordrial

Originally posted by ShadowLords

I'm not bashin'  you, but I'd just like to point out that it used to take somebody that long to travel in SWG:C too, remember when starport shuttles had wait times of like 10 minutes? they removed that for "instant gratification."

I'd rather immersion :)

The waits are not that bad in Eve anymore, "warp to 0m" can get you across 30 systems in 40 about minutes.

The only negative with Eve  to me, is that your ability to dabble and play around with various skills/races is limited because you can only advance one charater at a time per account.  Being that advancement is time based, that means you will lose out if you start training up another character (because in XP based games, higher skills/levels usually have MOBs that give higher XP, well slightly higher).

OMG!  I've been Eveangelized!

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• AeronisAeronis Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by Nikoz78

Originally posted by Vegetto

I just hope they offer more customization options on character creation, it's very basic at the moment, just a rudimentary morphing tool. You want a fatter char? stretch him out sideways lol. More hair options i think is a must, i HATE being a clone in other MMO's, as the only way i can spend lots of time in an MMO is if i identify with the char and play as him.
    The character creation options are unmatched. No game even comes close. Are you being serious? Why would you use the 'stretch' slider to make your character fat? Did you not see the 'weight' slider? The options are extremely extensive which far surpass even SWG. It's insane.

They even advertised their character-creation options as "the end to the sameness of characters."

I do agree too that the system could use a bit of polish before launch however.

It's better than what you'll get in something like EQ2 or WOW, but I am not impressed by it.

That's because I've been spoiled by City of Heroes that will send your head spinning at the unlimited variety and potential.

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

These were a few of my Favorite things about SWG:

1) Can I enter an instance like the corellian vette?  Or the DWB crafting room?

2) Can I drop a harvestor on a spot that is higher in resources than another spot?

3) Is there different qualities to resources that change each month or week?  Making certain Items made with one batch better than another?

4) Can I walk around inside my own ship?

5) Can I move around destroying other ships and looting parts or gold or faction?

6) Can I have a buddy fire a cannon at a enemy ship while I steer?

7) Can I pick and choose from skill trees to make a combat character of my choice?

8) Can I quit being a Bard and become a Ranger?

9) Can I be 2 combat professions at the same time?  Like a Rifleman/Fencer?  TKA/Commando?

10) Can I choose my side in a Galactic struggle between a free Republic and a facist Empire? And can I then flip flop as the mood strikes me?

11) Can I give buffs that change a normal player into an Elite?

12) Is there special weapons damage? Heat - energy - kenetic?

13) Does the armor values give resists to that special weapons damage?

14) Can I attach modifiers to the clothes under my armor that will assist me in my profession?

15) Can I wear any armor I choose and not have a negative effect on me?

16) Can I color my armor to make me look different from you?

17) Can I attach modifiers to my Armor?

18) Is the game Crafting based or Loot based?

19) Can I craft a item that is on par, or in most cases, better than what is looted?

20) Can I have my own merchants working for me?

21) But most important of all:  Can I play a Wookiee?

22) A lil' less important (but not much less): Is it Sci-Fi?

And here is one question that would make this game even better than SWG:

23) Can I play it without giving SOE any money?

There is a point by point list of features that I enjoyed about SOE let's see if your Vanguard stacks up.  If it doesn't, then it's just another game in a sea of games that are NOT swg.  Good day Sir!

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    I played Lotor this weekend, and if my friends who play both are accurate, they're basically a wash. (Except for that diplomacy mini-game). So if given a choice, I'd go with Lotor, since $OE doesn't get a dime.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• DarthOlomewDarthOlomew Member Posts: 22

As soon as I get paid after Vanguard hits the shelves, I'm in for at least the 30-day free period.

Beyond that, who knows...

• xacovaxacova Member Posts: 190

LOTRO is very good, dont give your money to $oe,  you know what there customer service and standards are..... dont fall for it again!

sigil may well be a fine company, but they have had the claws of $oe scratch them.  shame the servers are hosted by sony.

• DivinusxDivinusx Member Posts: 3
    I honestly thought LOTRO was an awful abomination when I tried it during the recent Stress Test.  I found it to be more like playing a crappy, broken version of WoW.

Vanguard is a decent game, but definitely has it's problems too.  I beta tested it for a while and decided not to get it, despite how well the patches were coming along towards the end.

This is a question for someone who bought the game.  Did they fix the horrible hitching issues yet?  What I mean by hitching if you don't know is PF usage.  It seemed that no matter how much ram you had, the game still wants to load things from the HDD.  It made for terrible performance even on pretty good rigs.  It was one of the things that really made me angry about the game. 

Other than that I had a pretty good time in the game.  It was definitely pretty cool when things were running smoothly.  I wouldn't call it a refugee for SWG, although it does feel a bit like SWG when you're playing.  Definitely brings back some memories.  I'm just trying to be cautious at the moment.  Everyone knows that VG released too early.  Here's the scenario I'm worried about:  The initial community suffering and the good people leaving early due to frustration.  With low numbers and not quite having what they were expecting in terms of cash, SOE puts the squeeze on Sigil to change the game's flavor to attract more people.  Here we go with another CU/NGE, completely changing the game's core mechanics because you rushed things at release.  You completely alienate your existing playerbase.  A small number of players may stick around and you may get a few new subscribers due to the changes, but the game is a shell of it's former self and we've just witnessed another victim of SOE.
  • TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by Nikoz78

Yup, it's true comrades; "we" refuges have found a new home.

Speak for yourself please.  I am a "vet" that is not interested in elves, mages, and priests--oh my!
  • linuxgamerlinuxgamer Member Posts: 126
    If all those features that the OP posted are true, that sounds like an impressive game. I'll still wait for the trial. Been burned too many times.
  • infrared1infrared1 Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Vanguard sounds like a great fantasy MMO that has a lot of SWG goodies in it.  But for me it was about living in the Star Wars Universe. I dont think Vanguard can help me there. All the orc and dragon stuff is way overdone. It doesnt do it for me. So, thanx anyway i'll pass on this one.
  • Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910
    Originally posted by Wickersham 23) Can I play it without giving SOE any money?
    These were a few of my Favorite things about SWG:
    1) Can I enter an instance like the corellian vette?  Or the DWB crafting room?
    A: What part of NO zones or instances did you not understand? And in my opinion zones and instances ruined SWG. Look at the crappy planets after ROTW.

2) Can I drop a harvestor on a spot that is higher in resources than another spot?
    A: A windmill perhaps? I guess you don't want to actually head out and find rare resources yourself.

3) Is there different qualities to resources that change each month or week?  Making certain Items made with one batch better than another?
    A: Yep. You can always find rare resources if you know where to look, not to mention some of the best resources are high in the mountains and deep in swamps and other dangerous places.

4) Can I walk around inside my own ship?
    A: Yep. You can also decorate it.

5) Can I move around destroying other ships and looting parts or gold or faction?
    A: Yep. Right now you ship can be attacked by pirates and giant octopuses. Player ship-to-ship combat has been announced numerous times but is not in yet.

6) Can I have a buddy fire a cannon at a enemy ship while I steer?
    A: Cannons. Announced, not in yet. Also, if your ship sinks it's gonna be gone forever.

7) Can I pick and choose from skill trees to make a combat character of my choice?
    A: Yep. Combat levels but with deep skill trees to vastly customize your skills.

8) Can I quit being a Bard and become a Ranger?
    A: You cannot unlearn what you have learned. Am I the only one who thought it funny that in SWG every time I dropped a profession they washed my brain? How can you unlearn something you were once so skilled in? Buy there are 8 characters per server. Also, you can drop the crafting and harvesting professions. I also hear they may add an option to drop professions due to player feedback but have not seen such a statement for myself so who knows (or cares).

9) Can I be 2 combat professions at the same time?  Like a Rifleman/Fencer?  TKA/Commando?
    A: You can mix up your skills via the skill trees.

10) Can I choose my side in a Galactic struggle between a free Republic and a facist Empire? And can I then flip flop as the mood strikes me?
    A: This game makes SWG factions seem like a joke. There are not two sides in Vanguard - there are multiple sides and more faction than you could shake a jawa at.

11) Can I give buffs that change a normal player into an Elite?
    A: I hope your not one of those who miss buff lines. Sure they could be fun but a time sink to be sure. This game has more unique kinds of buffs. There are many ways to get a buff(s) and many kinds of neat ways you receive them.

12) Is there special weapons damage? Heat - energy - kenetic?
    A: Yep. Cold damage, heat damage, blunt damage, crushing damage, piercing damage, slashing damage, you get the general idea. There is also damage that attacks the enemy mind not to mention manipulating enemy blood and internal organs.

13) Does the armor values give resists to that special weapons damage?
    A: Yep yep yep.

14) Can I attach modifiers to the clothes under my armor that will assist me in my profession?
    A: Yep yep yep.

15) Can I wear any armor I choose and not have a negative effect on me?
    A; Yep. You can wear any thing and carry any weapon but it's overall damage/protection will diminish based on your current skills.

16) Can I color my armor to make me look different from you?
    A: Dude you can get a good crafter to TOTALLY CUSTOMIZE YOUR ARMOR AND WEAPONS. And I mean REALLY customize the looks. Don't tell me you want everyone wearing armor with only a different color?

17) Can I attach modifiers to my Armor?
    A: Yep

18) Is the game Crafting based or Loot based?
    A: The best items must be purchased from a player crafter. Also, there is item decay so you will eventually need to replace items as they wear out (when you repair items they loose overall quality just like in SWG). Welcome back to the days of keeping a special weapon at home because it means a lot to you.

19) Can I craft a item that is on par, or in most cases, better than what is looted?
    A: Hell yes.

20) Can I have my own merchants working for me?
    A: Yep.

21) But most important of all:  Can I play a Wookiee?
    A: It's not Star Wars. But if your not playing Galaxies what ARE you going to play? I hear SWG II goes into beta Summer '08.

22) A lil' less important (but not much less): Is it Sci-Fi?
    A: Technology in this world is based in Magic. I guess you could call that SCIENCE fiction.

SOE is a publishing company. So some of your subscription fee goes toward them. But LucasArts is an independent company just like Sigil is. (in response to the question: Can I play without giving SOE any coin?).

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

• kordrialkordrial Member Posts: 160

Nikoz78, like i said before, we don't have to prove you wrong in order for us not to play it, you impose this idea that even if it's not great, it's the best, and since it's the best we have to buy into it, this rabid sense of commercialism isn't right.

SoE's unethical business factor is there, they're publishing, and managing the servers/ads

that's what one posted pointed out to me, and then he asked "Will you really not play a game because a certain company you do not like is handling the billing?" i couldn't tell if it was sarcastic.

above all of that, it's the wrong genre for me. Let's say that it is the best game out there, and we can draw a parallel to the best movie, or book on the market, however both the book, and movie are genres i HATE, chick flicks for example, when i'd rather see a mystery.

i don't want to see a chick flick, and nobody here has to prove anything to you.

• freako969freako969 Member Posts: 105
    i dont think we will ever find that MMO place we call home anymore :-( our ship has sunk and we are just clinging onto wreckage
  • As a heavy crafter in SWG, I found Vanguard's crafting system to have promise.  However, as far as I understand there are no factories and no harvestors.  To be quite frank about it, I like exploring to find high quality resources, but I do not like having to sit there and harvest the resource myself for hours.  That's what made harvestors in SWG so great.  Call me lazy, but at least to me sitting there for hours harvesting some resource is simply not fun.  Then of course we get into the lack of factories to make your items for you in bulk.  There are some professions where factories are not required, so I don't expect those people to understand.  But as an SWG architect, let me assure you that in many cases factories are not simply a luxury, they are required.  Can you imagine having to make every brick for a building yourself, spending a few minutes on each brick?  Sorry, but that is just plain unfun to me.

So there's the main reasons I don't find Vanguard to be an acceptable replacement for SWG.  If I am incorrect, please let me know.

• Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910
    Originally posted by zaxxon23

So there's the main reasons I don't find Vanguard to be an acceptable replacement for SWG.  If I am incorrect, please let me know.
    Heya zaxxon23 , thanks for not flaming me.

I know there are factories, as in large player-placed/owned crafting warehouses. Have no idea what they are for. I know building boats & houses is a very involved process. I did hear something about windmills to generate wind power. Have not seen any player-placed things like that, but everyone is still pretty new especially in crafting. I trained in the animal skinning profession and lumberjack and I don't think harvesting is that hard. Sure the more time you spend stocking up the more raw resource you will yield. The best resources are in the most wild regions (the game is freaking huge).

Maybe you can find answers here:

http://www.vanguardcrafters.com/index.php

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.