Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

THIS GAME IS STILL A BETA

Like it or leave it...we have heard the winers enough for now

Comments

• pschumac2pschumac2 Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by deugemiet

Like it or leave it...we have heard the winers enough for now
    they are charging which means it is not in beta.  At best you can claim it is a half baked release.
  • TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
            A game doesn't hit release just because its being charged for. Numerous game companies have had people pay for there betas. The issue arises whether its ethical or not. Thats another debate though. Granted if a game were to charge for beta for say 6 months.. then you face the quandry of whether they will release it at all as a full release. Making money during a beta to pay the development costs may actually become the norm eventually. That remains to be seen obviously.
  • pschumac2pschumac2 Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Techleo

A game doesn't hit release just because its being charged for. Numerous game companies have had people pay for there betas. The issue arises whether its ethical or not. Thats another debate though. Granted if a game were to charge for beta for say 6 months.. then you face the quandry of whether they will release it at all as a full release. Making money during a beta to pay the development costs may actually become the norm eventually. That remains to be seen obviously.

That will never be the norm of high quality games.  You do not charge for an unfinished product and call it a beta.  If you are charging you are released and if the game isn´t finished you just launched a half baked game.

Just because a company slaps beta on it doesn´t mean the game is actually in a beta stage.  Historically companies do not ever charge for beta.  I have never seen an mmo charge for beta and I have been playing mmorpgs sence UO was launched.  However I have seen people pissed because they got charged for a half baked game and say it is stil lin beta so they should not be charged. 

The line is drawn at charging people.  Once you charge you are out of beta period, thats the line in the sand.  Thats the difference between fishing and sitting around in a boat drinking beer.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
     Hahaha Quote:Thats the difference between fishing and sitting around in a boat drinking beer. That great Not a bad comparison since I fish alot. To be honest though numerous games have had pay for beta's. A number of games garner profits from subsidiary sites by offering the beta download for a charge. This has happend since Asherons Call actually. Oh and dont play the age card. I've been playing graphical mmorpgs just as long as you have. My first was NwN on Aol. 

The primary debate centers around which development model are you comparing the game to. In a asian game model they typically put the item mall online far before the release. Certain features are being worked on to be brang online even as the games making money off players. Heck there balancing the item mall as there making money. The European and American model differs greatly. Bounty Bay which is the same game as VCO is typical to that scheme. You get to play free while you test then theres a whipe of charecters.

To a extent though even EuroAmerican Betas charge and make money on betas. As far back as Asherons Call they allowed subsidiary sites to charge to enter the beta. The game company took a slice of that pie.

Well anywho just some food for thought. As I stated in another thread I see the game diffrently then you and greatly enjoy it. Although I bet ill be seeing you on POTBS! Good lord! Did you see the new player models! WOHOO! Gota give those devs props for a marked improvement!
  • yumadomeyumadome Member Posts: 21

I haven't tried this game yet... I like the premise...

I just wanted to ask if anyone out there is a real old school gamer like I am...

Anyone out there remember a game played on the mainframe at University of Illinois back in about 1980-1982?

It was called Oubliette and was a MMORPG before anyone had even heard of the internet.  I believe it was later sold to a couple and modified into the original Wizardry game but I'm not certain of that...