Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rate/Help my PC Build

Please critique this system for me...this is my first time building a machine and I will be using it mainly for mmorpg's and some PhotoShop CS2 stuff.  I would also like to be able to do some video editing.

I am only going to list the components that I am unsure or want some advice on:

Processor:  Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6300 - $187

Mobo:   EVGA 122-CK-NF68-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - $230

Graphics Card:  EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card -$389

Memory:   CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $218

These are the core components...I will probably purchase a 22" widescreen viewsonic that i found online for under $300 as well.  I know i'll probably be looking at a 600w power supply for this.

How's it look??

Comments

• MeonMeon Member Posts: 993

I think the processor will need to improve if you want to run newer games (i'm guessing you'll need atleast 2.8 GHz).

• AnagethAnageth Member Posts: 2,217
    Originally posted by beckettgame

I will probably purchase a 22" widescreen viewsonic that i found online for under $300 as well. 

22inch, for under $300? Can you post a link please? I guess I got ripped off...

No longer visiting MMORPG.com.

• MeonMeon Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by Anageth
    I will probably purchase a 22" widescreen viewsonic that i found online for under $300 as well.

Prices in UK and Europe are up for PC monitors compared to the US

• beckettgamebeckettgame Member Posts: 12
    Link to monitors....several here for <$300 for a 22"  widescreen; 5ms; DVI/HDMI....all the good stuff

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010190020+1309822582&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=20
    Originally posted by Meon

I think the processor will need to improve if you want to run newer games (i'm guessing you'll need atleast 2.8 GHz).

I'm not so sure they still use the same benchmarking for processor speed like they used to with the pentium 3's and 4's.  I now have a pentium 4 i have been running for the last oh...4years or so and it's a 1.7 i think. 

If I needed a 2.8 Intel Core 2 Duo or extreme I would have to shell out about $900 and I am NOT doing that.  Can someone straighten out the logic of processing speed changes over the past few years for me....and I'm pretty sure the above processor is ok...but you're right, I could fork out a few extra bucks to upgrade a bit.
  • AnagethAnageth Member Posts: 2,217

Originally posted by Anageth

Prices in UK and Europe are up for PC monitors compared to the US

Ah, well that explains it then. I spent £140 ($275) on a 19" widescreen TFT a couple of months ago. 

No longer visiting MMORPG.com.

• LordKyellanLordKyellan Member Posts: 160

I'm not so sure they still use the same benchmarking for processor speed like they used to with the pentium 3's and 4's.  I now have a pentium 4 i have been running for the last oh...4years or so and it's a 1.7 i think. 

If I needed a 2.8 Intel Core 2 Duo or extreme I would have to shell out about $900 and I am NOT doing that.  Can someone straighten out the logic of processing speed changes over the past few years for me....and I'm pretty sure the above processor is ok...but you're right, I could fork out a few extra bucks to upgrade a bit.

You don't need a Core 2 Duo 2.8 GhZ. That's madness. I'm not even sure they make them clocked that high. I'm pretty sure 2.66 is as high as it gets.

The Core 2 Duo line is approximately 40% more efficient than the Pentium 4/Pentium D line of processors. Your 1.86 GhZ Core 2 Duo is approximately equivalent to a 2.6 Pentium 4/D. You're fine with that chip for pretty much anything out there right now, but it wouldn't hurt to bump up to a 2.1 or a 2.3 (assuming that you have the extra cash). With the 2GB of RAM and that particularly nice video card, I'd say that you've got a very nice looking build there.

To sum-up: Looks good. A couple extra points on the processor wouldn't hurt, but aren't really necessary either.

Cheers!

--------

"Give a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life."

• LordCaptainLordCaptain Member Posts: 178
    The CPU Is just fine. As of right now, that line of processors are the best on the market.

However, I would like to make a suggestion that could save you a lot of money. AMD and AMD Graphics claim they are releasing their new Dual GPU Graphics cards at the end of Febuary (Think a Dual Core CPU but it's a dual Graphics Card) also, they are releasing their new line of processors at the same time.

So, coming up soon, in about a month, prices will drop damatically on all the old Technology, and the 8800's will already be outclassed and outdated. Also, the argument can be made that if you are any type of Over-clocker, the nVidia line is completly defeated by AMD Graphics (Formerly ATI).

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=494353  Here is a good thread on one of my favorite websites, it should give you a good idea why AMD Graphics are superior.

So, honestly, I wouldn't buy this PC until the new lines are released, then you will see a drop in Graphics Cards and Processors. For the same amount of money, you can get the next gen or save a lot of money and get the pieces you already mentioned.

Anyways, I hope I helped a bit.
  • weg886weg886 Member Posts: 318

Go to tigerdirect there the fastest and best prices you will ever see  i order all the time off them you will get your stuff in 3 days !

And  i build mine from tigerdirect there the stuff man!

WWIIOnline The Real War!

• calmoxcalmox Member Posts: 5

your system looks great. the only thing i would recomend would be getting the e6600 processor. its only about 100 dollars more and is well worth the money.

• mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747

what i don't get AT ALL is you went cheap as Hell on the processor and went MUCH MUCH higher end on everything else. I have to say WTF, if your gonna get the rest of the stuff like that then get a nice processor to go along with it. From what you have listed it seems you want to be halfway on the rich expensive side and then half way in the slums. Pick one or the other.

• karlz0rkarlz0r Member Posts: 158
    I suggest buying a good AMD Sempron because I've heard it's very good for overclocking. My friend has AMD Sempron 64 3500+ AM2 (2000mhz) which he clocked to 3500mhz.
  • CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

The E6300 is one of the best overclocking processors on the market, so overclock that shizz.

Overclock E6300 Guide

The AMD processors aren't quite there yet.  Although AMD has come up with a unique and powerful setup using dual processors, and a quad-vid card setup with 4 PCI-Express slots.  2 x16, and 2x8's.  Of these there is only one board available at $389.  I would wait on AMDs lineup of 65nm processors before switching back to AMD or converting from an older MB.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810
    System looks good.  You will get some benifit from a faster processor, but If you think your up to it I'd just overclock the 6300.  Intel is really down binning at the moment so you should be able to get 2.4 GHz by doing litlte more then changing settings and a lot more if your ambitious.
  • HibameHibame Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by weg886

Go to tigerdirect there the fastest and best prices you will ever see  i order all the time off them you will get your stuff in 3 days !
    Tigerdirect is a big scam, 90% of their rebates never work.

WARNING: My spelling is atrocious

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

You will regret not getting a GTX... Even if you wanted to upgrade to SLi, the money you put in a GTX, will get you much longer.

More memory... Yes, you are a RPG player, and RPG's require memory, lots of it. I suggest filling up all 4 slots with 4x 1gb modules. And you also mentioned Photoshop... More memory!

Btw, you are saying "core components"... Where is your HARDDRIVE?!?!

Get a raptor disk @ 74,6gb, you wont regret it... So much performance from that little extra RPM... You may get 2 of them, if you have alot of games, but dont invest in it, to have Movies or whatever you usually have on your computer, get 1 of them 500gb harddrives from Western Digital.

Power Supply, let it be 600w+, as you wanna go SLi at some time most probably... Those 8800 cards take so much WATTs you have no clue about it.

Sure he havent picked the fastest CPU on the market, but it is fine for the purpose, i would probably go for the E6600, but the fact still remains it is little or no improvement.

As for monitor;
    I've got a Samsung 20.1" TFT Monitor, and it is lovely, i wouldnt want it bigger.

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

• KlebernKlebern Member Posts: 2

On your place i would add some cash and took:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (LGA775, Conroe, Dual Core, 2.4GHz, 4 Mb L2 cash memory, 1066 Mhz bus, 65 nm)

Graphic Card: GeForce 8800 GTX (PCI-E x16, 768MB, GDDR3 384bit)

Originally posted by Klebern

On your place i would add some cash and took:
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (LGA775, Conroe, Dual Core, 2.4GHz, 4 Mb L2 cash memory, 1066 Mhz bus, 65 nm)
    Graphic Card: GeForce 8800 GTX (PCI-E x16, 768MB, GDDR3 384bit)
    Yeah I would like to get both of those...but I don't have that kind of budget.  The GTS is a really nice graphics card and I don't think the extra money will justify a GTX for what I'll be using it for.  I will probably upgrade the processor to the E6400 though as it's only like $220.
  • DentataDentata Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by weg886

My single worst experience in buying stuff on the web was with tiger direct.  They lied about when they would ship, charged my credit card for an item they didn't have in stock, lied about it being in stock, and refused to do anything to make it better.  When I asked them to do something, they cancelled the order and that was the end of it.  Avoid them like the plague, they are rude and incompetent.

• mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653
    You might want a bigger power supply if you ever plan on doing SLI.  600 watts is the bare minium I would use.
  • r0hnr0hn Member Posts: 185
    I would look at the intel motherboards over the EGA one.  If you are spending 230 on a motherboard, look at Intel seriously.  DG965 series with the features you want to go with that E6600 processor.
  • dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Please critique this system for me...this is my first time building a machine and I will be using it mainly for mmorpg's and some PhotoShop CS2 stuff. I would also like to be able to do some video editing.

I am only going to list the components that I am unsure or want some advice on:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6300 - $187

Mobo: EVGA 122-CK-NF68-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - $230

Graphics Card: EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card -$389

Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $218

These are the core components...I will probably purchase a 22" widescreen viewsonic that i found online for under $300 as well. I know i'll probably be looking at a 600w power supply for this.

How's it look??

Close to the same system I ordered on Tuesday, except I went with the eVGA Superclocked GTX and the E6400. When looking at the PSU, make sure you check the 12v rail amperage. That'll be an important aspect when you want to upgrade your GPU next.

EDIT: Saw this after I posted...

Originally posted by r0hn
    I would look at the intel motherboards over the EGA one. If you are spending 230 on a motherboard, look at Intel seriously. DG965 series with the features you want to go with that E6600 processor.

Actually, the nVIDIA 680i chipset has been producing better numbers with the Core 2 Duo processors than the Intel chipsets.