Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sacred Band - GLBT tribe

I figured I might as well make a public announcement already in case some other player tries to do a search later...  I intend to make a tribe as a welcoming guild home for GLBT (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender) and other friendly players, based upon the historical Sacred Band Of Thebes.  The website is still not completed, but the majority of the material is already in place.  It will include history about the original Sacred Band, game-specific information, and a forum.

http://sacredband.org

Comments

• anubisssanubisss Member Posts: 325
    Erm OK...
  • RokkanRokkan Member Posts: 27

Interesting

Good luck with that, I wonder what your turn out rate is going to be.

• MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84

I'm the original founder of the EQ1 Nameless Love guild (on Nameless server) many years ago.  Supposedly (years after I quit EQ1) that quild became one of the top raid guilds on the server.  Similarly, there are multiple LGBT guilds in WoW.  The one I participated in had to split forum websites between Horde/Alliance sides partly because there were just too many people. According to this chart (a decent 'ballpark' figure), there are about 12.5 million active mmog subscribers worldwide. http://mmogchart.com/Chart4.html  

According to another long held figure (another decent 'ballpark' figure), about 10% of a population is GLBT.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_sexual_orientation (for more detailed info, including mention of the high likelihood of under-reporting because of social stigma)  

That means approximately 1.25 million GLBT folk online in games.  It's not a question of whether there are enough people to populate such a tribe (guild) but whether the game itself will be interesting enough to warrant the subscription of players.  :)

Aside:

It's not just the "identification" that makes guilds like this interesting. A large factor is the difference in discussion on the guild chat channel. Nameless Love, in particular, supposedly had a seemingly-large percentage of heterosexual folk who just appreciated the unconventional conversation standard. I imagine that a Deaf-specific guild chat would be similarly unconventional because both subcultures have different mores than the average population. That environment could be desireable even to people who are not Deaf themselves.

Which is probably more information than anybody asked for. :) But we might as well put in our educational public service announcement for the weekend, since we no longer have Schoolhouse Rock on tv any more. *sigh* And I've not talked to anyone who trusts the American educational system to actually teach meaningful stuff. *grin*

(fixed typo: "Americal"? what's that?  "American")

• guignol69guignol69 Member UncommonPosts: 72

In fact i will not rally your cause and i will explain my point of view :

I don't understand, probably my fault, the goal of having such a guild, tribe or something in that kind in a ... game ?! I mean are there guilds for afro-americans or juives only in games ? I don't want to limit you expression rights but i really don't think it's necessary. Do we have to see guilds with sexual orientations or religions or racials or politicals restrictions ? Thus i think, IMHO, you are close to the limits of such a forum (read the behavior warnings).

You have a BG explanation, very good my boy you did your homework and it's fine, but what kind of guild chat do I have to read if I become a member ?! I mean I am hetero, I usually don't panic in front of a gay neither I am racist but this is a game ! And you invit hetero to come in your guild, so what is the goal of such a project ? If it is a guild GLBT only why do you want some heteros, to be politicaly correct ?

I just don't understand what seems to be an advertising for GLBT, if you want to play only with people who share the same sexual orientations, then do it but why do you write such posts, it's just useless.

I have nothing against GLBT but I really didn't want to see such things on a forum especially for a game I really want to play and I think could be awesome. You have not to include sexual or racial or political or religion segregetions in your guilds and/or please don't post on a public forum like this.

Thks to understand.

It's just one step from the sublime to the ridiculous.
    C9 impatient awaiter

• thunderbolt1thunderbolt1 Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by MellowTigger

I'm the original founder of the EQ1 Nameless Love guild (on Nameless server) many years ago.  Supposedly (years after I quit EQ1) that quild became one of the top raid guilds on the server.  Similarly, there are multiple LGBT guilds in WoW.  The one I participated in had to split forum websites between Horde/Alliance sides partly because there were just too many people. According to this chart (a decent 'ballpark' figure), there are about 12.5 million active mmog subscribers worldwide. http://mmogchart.com/Chart4.html  
    According to another long held figure (another decent 'ballpark' figure), about 10% of a population is GLBT.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_sexual_orientation (for more detailed info, including mention of the high likelihood of under-reporting because of social stigma)  
    That means approximately 1.25 million GLBT folk online in games.  It's not a question of whether there are enough people to populate such a tribe (guild) but whether the game itself will be interesting enough to warrant the subscription of players.  :)
    Aside:

It's not just the "identification" that makes guilds like this interesting. A large factor is the difference in discussion on the guild chat channel. Nameless Love, in particular, supposedly had a seemingly-large percentage of heterosexual folk who just appreciated the unconventional conversation standard. I imagine that a Deaf-specific guild chat would be similarly unconventional because both subcultures have different mores than the average population. That environment could be desireable even to people who are not Deaf themselves.
    Which is probably more information than anybody asked for. :) But we might as well put in our educational public service announcement for the weekend, since we no longer have Schoolhouse Rock on tv any more. *sigh* And I've not talked to anyone who trusts the American educational system to actually teach meaningful stuff. *grin*

(fixed typo: "Americal"? what's that?  "American")

I can't resist I gotta ask...

In an MMO does anyone really care if you are GLT whatever??? How do you know if they really are? What if they just say they are to get into your guild? If you guys have a reputation for "hooking up" your members, people will say or agree with just about anything to mooch some free stuff off of you. Isn't sort of irrelevent in a video game? I mean its not like its going to give you an edge in a PvP fight or a raid....Honestly, I don't think anyone really cares or wants to know what sexual orientation you are, its meaningless in its impact on us as game players.

• spivesludespiveslude Member Posts: 96
    I think this is a great Idea.  I dont mean to hijack your post but this just gave me the courage to start recuiting for my hope for a guild with PBN(petifiles, beastialitists, and necropheliacs).  Ill be putting up a website soon. 
  • HarbingerxHarbingerx Member Posts: 10

I understand why heterosexuals would not understand the need for groups like this.  GLBT groups form in games for the purpose of socialization.  People play MMOs for the fun AND to socialize.  It is nice talking to players who are in the same boat as you.  I was in a GLBT linkshell in FFXI.  Although it was strictly a social group, it really helped me make some wonderful friends - people I could relate to and who could understand me.  Some of those people are my closest long distance friends, as we share many similarities and a common love for the Final Fantasy series.  It can be really hard expressing yourself when talking within a non-GLBT group.  Sometimes there is certain humor or topics that GLBT prefer to discuss that could offend non-GLBT, or get no response from (as no one can relate).  Heterosexuals are usually welcome to GLBT groups - they are usually very friendly to homos and can appreciate the brand of humor we often find ourselves throwing around.  So, although video games and being GLBT don't have anything to do with each other directly, being in a social group and GLBT does have its purpose.

I guess the closest example I can give of this to other players is creating a guild/social group for players of a certain age or higher.  Why do you want people 18+ or 25+?  Sometimes it is because they are more experienced players, but also because of the type of discussions will be held in chat.  Same thing for gaymers.  If I want to talk about a topic non-GLBT usually don't have to deal with, or throw an off color joke out there that normally only GLBT can appreciate, I can feel comfortable saying those things.  It is a great way to make friends and enjoy the social aspects of playing an MMO.

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898
    Honestly, I have to agree with what most people are saying here.  Its not needed.  From talking to to some of my friends in GLBT guilds I have gathered that a lot of it is about "Having a safe haven from abusive assholes and constant spamming of "fag" "homo" etc".  Well, If thats your problem then your solution isn't forming a glbt guild, its simply finding more mature players to game with.  I run a guild in EQ2 and we have a language policy.  Say fag, your out.  To me its the same as saying nigger, or cunt, or whatever. 

Secondly, Please save the hetero's wouldn't understand bit.  Thats as bad as me telling one of my white friends "You wouldn't understand, it's a black thing. "  No, its not a black thing or a gay thing or a whatever thing.  Its simply a thing. It doesnt have anything to do with my race or your sexuality, its simply a personal "thing".  A "human" thing.  I swear, it really pisses me off when no matter how equal we try to make people, society STILL finds a way to divide ITSELF. 

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

Even if you don't agree with that point, if players want to gather on the basis of sexuality because they like to have gaymer friends and want to get to know gaymers in their MMO, then let them!  If players want to gather on the basis of *whatever* for *any reason* then that should be their right, as long as they are not violating anyone else's rights.

What I don't understand is what other players' issues are with the idea of gathering based on GLBT status in game.  You don't have a problem with GLBT but you have a problem with people gathering because of it?  You either are in denial of being anti-GLBT or do not understand GLBT issues.  

If we do not want society to divide itself, than why would we prevent them from uniting? 

I was in a GLBT linkshell, and I have to say (again) it was probably one of the best things that has ever happened to me.  I am confident that all of my friends I have met from the linkshell would say the same thing.  For such a long time many of us have felt isolated growing up, not knowing many gay people (1) our age or (2) liked video games, let alone Final Fantasy.   Even today, it is very difficult for me personally to find active gaymers to relate to and develop friendship with.  GLBT groups fufill the needs of those with struggles similar to mine, as well as many other reasons that are personal to each member.   "It is not needed..."  Because it doesn't fulfill *your* need, please do not invalidate that of others.

You have proved my point.  You don't understand.  Please don't take a sampling of your few friends as fact.  If it doesn't fulfill their needs, that is perfectly okay.  There are others who like it, however, so be respectful and show some humility.

• kashaunkashaun Member Posts: 220
    It might be because it sounds a little too much like and agenda. I mean myself, I've never thought of gay people any differently from others so maybe it's not a big deal to me and that's why it doesn't really seem very interesting or needed. Go for it though, give a shot, but as a gamer I'd suggest not even bothering with that approach. Rather I would advertise your guild structure and your plans for putting your guilds name out there as a competitive team.

People can complain and get angry over it, but if your guild is rolling up other guilds strategically, economically, and politically in an mmorpg, then there's really nothing they can do right? So, I'd suggest making a guild based more on personality and skill and play the game for what it is.

Never give up and never surrender!

I think you just made a good point.  Most players are in an MMO for the sake of playing the game.  Most GLBT groups, however, as well as many other types of groups, form on a social basis.  This is for social purposes, not for competitive purposes.  Not everyone is "end game" or "pvp" oriented.  It is strictly for making friends while playing the game you enjoy.

A good example of this is the linkshell on my former server that formed all on the basis on character race.  It was an all Galka linkshell.  I have also heard of all mithra and all taru linkshells, as well as linkshells for irl girls, etc..  These are social reasons for gathering in a game.  It's perfectly okay (and fun) to play this way.

It's your game you (may or may not) pay for it.  Play it however you want.  If you don't like how others play (or who they play with) then don't play with them.  Find your own in-game group of your liking and enjoy.

• spivesludespiveslude Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by Harbingerx

It's your game you (may or may not) pay for it.  Play it however you want.  If you don't like how others play (or who they play with) then KILL them.  Find your own in-game group of your liking and enjoy.

I fixed your post with the assumption that this game has pvp options available.  A group of this kind along with other groups out there make themselves targets in pvp.  Ive seen it in other games and Im sure I will see it here.