Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG, Resolution locked to 1024x768!!!

OK, I download the game. Install it. Created an account. Login. The screen resolution changes to 1024x768 and the Character creation screen comes up. I look for an options button to change the resolution but nothing. Anyway I think, the options menu is in-game. I create a character and enter the world. I look for an options button/menu/window. Nothing. Hmm, I say, this cant be true. I exit the game. I restart the launcher, and there it is! The options button. I click on it and a familiar window appears. It contains things like Hz, Antialiasing, VSync, Window mode etc. BUT! No resolution dropdown. Weird, I think. Maybe its one of those silly games that you have to edit a ini/cfg file to change the resolution. I look in the games folder. Nothing. Nada! I am already starting to get dissappointed. Anyways, I give it some more time since the idea behind the real world economy sounds interesting. I enter the games forums, register and search with keywords like "resolution change" etc. Bingo, gazillions of posts. There is my solution. Wishful thinking. All those threads conclude to the same point. There is no way to change the screen resolution. MindArk (the company behind this mess) has decided that changing the resolution is a bad thing. And the funny thing is that many ppl ironicaly say to those who complain to go back to WoW etc. Come on guys, its 2007. Technology, you know? DirectX 10? SLI systems. Big ****ing widescreen monitors. Wake up and join us in the third millenium.

I have already decided to uninstall but I login once more just to check it a bit further.  I choose window mode since my monitor is too big for it to upscale 1024x768 (Dell 24" 1920x1200). You can imagine how small the 1024 window looks in this monster.

Anyway, a mentor player (the game includes mentor mechanics) comes and add me to his society. After a bit of chatting he says that without paying 10$ there is nothing I can do. The controls are bad, the user interface is inconsistent (strange windows that look like coming from other games appear) and the graphics remind me of a low quality version of SWG with bad art direction.

Strange thing. You get a game technically terrible, that needs 10$ to do anything. Why should I pay for something that looks so bad, without even trying it first. Havent they heard about trials? All games have it. You can play for 10-14 days, see the games potential and then pay. Here? You cant see anything, apart from a technically flawed piece of software. And guess what, you have to pay 10$ to see the rest. Crazy ppl.

Comments

• XantoniaXantonia Member Posts: 7

You can change resolutions.  The options menu is in the client loader.  When you first log on and are presented with the screen to enter your login details.  To the right in the text is a link to the client loader.  In there are all your options.

I have a widescreen laptop and I have no problem filling the screen.  My brother also has a 24" screen and again has no problem filling it.

I can only suggest you try again.

As for try before pay - well you don't have to pay anything.  No-one ever has to pay.  The game is free - it just takes a little more patience and thought than you obviously have.  The mentor mechanics as you put it are other real life people offering up their time to assist others into the game.  Payment is by choice and can speed up the initial stages of the game.  That is all your mentor was suggesting.

It sounds like you really didn't give it enough of a go.

It is designed to weed out players.  It is linked to a real life economy and is very cleverly designed.  If you are willing to work hard in real life then you are likely to make it in this game.  Sounds like you could be a player the game is happy to lose.

Sorry if I sound a little harsh to you but you have piled in with little understanding.  This game is tough and only the strong can play it.

• huxflux2004huxflux2004 Member Posts: 730
    Filling the screen does not mean that it uses the correct resolution. It just means that it upscales to fit the monitor. This produces bad quality image.

No man, you cannot change the resolution. MindArk states it excplicitly. Its their decision not to be able to change the res. Trust me, I have reasearched this alot. They did not even allow window mode, and after alot of whining from the community they enabled it in a patch in December. You can change many options but not the resolution. Gimme a screenshot with a size different than 1024x768 and i'll take back everything, apologize, and yell "I AM AN ASSHOLE" in a public place of your choice.

As for the game, I am sure that it is very clever and complex and real-life. But it remains a technically outdated game, that leaves a very bad initial impression. I will not play this. Of course this doesnt interest anyone, it is my personal opinion and thats what I state here. My only objective point is the lack of the ability to change the resolution which is a major annoyance. Never seen that again.
  • Cougar.ptCougar.pt Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by huxflux2004

Anyway, a mentor player (the game includes mentor mechanics) comes and add me to his society. After a bit of chatting he says that without paying 10$ there is nothing I can do. The controls are bad, the user interface is inconsistent (strange windows that look like coming from other games appear) and the graphics remind me of a low quality version of SWG with bad art direction.

Strange thing. You get a game technically terrible, that needs 10$ to do anything. Why should I pay for something that looks so bad, without even trying it first. Havent they heard about trials? All games have it. You can play for 10-14 days, see the games potential and then pay. Here? You cant see anything, apart from a technically flawed piece of software. And guess what, you have to pay 10$ to see the rest. Crazy ppl.

Skipping the rest, you are lucky your mentor even talked to you

As many are only looking for the rewards and add the newbies when they don't even know what they are agreeing to.

Also he told you to deposit because he was interested that you speeded up your game advancement so he would receive his award faster, or he also didn't had the patience to teach you how to play without depositing.

As you can try this game in an unlimited trial.

Without depositing it just takes more time to do things, and if you don't have patience, nothing i can do about it.

Also he mentioned $10 as it is the minimum amount you can deposit, and if spent wisely can give you lots of entertainment.

Another things, your complaint about trials is due to your lack of understanding of the game model. But i don't blame you as many people who play also don't understand it fully.

Also speaking about the interface. well it was recently updated, that's why the hud looks different from the rest.

About the controls, they are at the same time different and equal to any other game, you can play in FPS perspective and you can get your so loved (i bet) CS feel, or you can play in
    third player view and use the mouse to move and use the interface, just like WoW.

The keyboard can be fully mapped to any function/action/item/whatever!! And this trough an intuitive interface.

But either way, you are complaining because you didn't gave it much thought or effort.

About the rest, it is true that the resolution thing could take a look by MindArk.

The overall graphics is a question of taste, don't forget this is a scfi themed MMORPG, and not a fantasy one!

Somethings you might not know:

• the forums are privately owned by a dedicated player, not by the developers and we are a tigh community, one you won't see anywhere (ofc there are always people who are never satisfied and whiners are common to any game)

• there is an aspect ratio setting that makes the game look better (aka right) when playing in full screen on screens that have a aspect ration other than 4:3
  • huxflux2004huxflux2004 Member Posts: 730
    Originally posted by Cougar.pt

About the rest, it is true that the resolution thing could take a look by MindArk.

This is not the rest. This is my main point mate.
  • TorschenTorschen Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by huxflux2004

Just a note. 'Trial' in this game is effectively FOREVER. You need not to pay a dime EVER if you don't want to. -- I played first half year strictly without depositing anything, just with enough time and patience I could acquire couple of decent weapons, armor sets, first-aid-pack, tp chip and basic skills to use them. --- Then I decided to start depositing AFTER 6 MONTHS TRIAL so to speak. -- But I take care I will never deposit more than maybe ~10-15 USD/Euro /month.  Not more that other online mmorpgs usually cost. But I can always choose my tier. I put in NOTHING, or I put in loads, my choice.