Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Computer build

I am going to be builing a new machine as I am forced to part with my current one.  I don't have a huge budget and but would like something nice for gaming...mmorpg's of course.

I know that I will probably go with an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe video card with an Athlon 64 3800+ processor....because i found a good deal at Pricewatch at $315 for the set.  I would really like to go with dual video cards with this motherboard to make best use of the SLI function.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what video card(s) to go for?  I wanna keep it under $200 each if possible.  Also, any suggestions on changing my motherboard/processor choices are welcome...thanks.

Comments

• OhaanOhaan Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Don't bother with an SLI system if you dont have a big budget. Two $200 video cards will get you about the same performance as one $400 card. So if your budget allows for more than the top price video card (nVidia 8800 GTX ~ $550) then you should be looking at an SLI.

What is your total budget and what do you have to get with it - complete system with monitor or just replacing the old 'guts'?
  • beckettgamebeckettgame Member Posts: 12
    well I am budgeting the monitor seperately.  For the remainder of the components I was wanting to stay under $1200.  That includes case, power supply, motherboard, video card, processor...etc.
  • rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

make sure you get a direct x 10 compliant card.

Its worth splurging on because youll get alot of mileage out of it.

Video card >>>>>everything else.

Originally posted by beckettgame

well I am budgeting the monitor seperately.  For the remainder of the components I was wanting to stay under $1200.  That includes case, power supply, motherboard, video card, processor...etc.

Here's something I threw together from Newegg.com

eVGA 8800GTS superclocked ed  $410

Abit KN9 nForce 570 Ultra $110

Athlon X2 - 3800+ EE $135

Antec Sonata case w/450W PS $100

G.Skill 2x1024 DDR2-800 $185

Seagate 250GB $75

TOTAL =  $1015   Leaves some room for DVD, keyboard, mouse, speakers, shipping, etc.

Intel CPUs are faster but also more expensive, but you might be able to squeeze in a 6300 Core Duo chip in your budget.

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    I thought the Pub forum was for talking about MMORPG's and guildwars?

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810
    Originally posted by Ohaan

Originally posted by beckettgame

Here's something I threw together from Newegg.com

eVGA 8800GTS superclocked ed  $410

Abit KN9 nForce 570 Ultra $110

Athlon X2 - 3800+ EE $135

Antec Sonata case w/450W PS $100

G.Skill 2x1024 DDR2-800 $185

Seagate 250GB $75

TOTAL =  $1015   Leaves some room for DVD, keyboard, mouse, speakers, shipping, etc.

Intel CPUs are faster but also more expensive, but you might be able to squeeze in a 6300 Core Duo chip in your budget.

Go for the Core2 now, and drop down a bit on the video card. Most MMO’s are limited by processor power not by the graphics card so 512MB PCI-E 7600 or 7950 is a much better value right now then an 8800.

Don’t worry about DX10, the fact that it’s Vista only will mean developers are going to be slow to pick it up.  By the time you start seeing games that require DX 10 you will be able to get DX10 cards much faster and cheaper then the 8800.  
  • ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

Honestly, if you don't have money to go top end SLI you're better off going 1 top end card an d waiting a few months to pick up the second card. You'll get better performance in many cases off 1x8800 (~550) than you will off two lower end cards just because so many games support sli poorly or don't support it at all. SLI doesn't mean you get 2x the performance of 1 card. Much like duel processors don't give 2x the performance of a single processor.

Shadus

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078
    Originally posted by rungard

i completely disagree with this statement. by the time dx10 becomes "standard" and is actually in a game that you'll be playing that $600  8800 card will be worth peanuts.

my 2 bits.. look into a sli motherboard, right now, get one 7800-7950 video card (that'll handle what you need for the next 6 months) after that.. if in another 6 months you need more graphics muscle, pair it. let that ride for another 6 months, by then dx 10 will be much more available, and prices on the dx10 cards won't be so insane.

riding the backside of the tech wave is much easier on your pocket than riding the front of it.

Originally posted by lomiller

Most MMO’s are limited by processor power not by the graphics card so 512MB PCI-E 7600 or 7950 is a much better value right now then an 8800.

How do you figure? Check most gaming benchmarks, by the time you set the resolution and effects up to make the most of the graphics engine, the video card is usually the bottleneck. In a gaming rig, the video card should be the priority.

When it comes to fps per dollar, the scale is fairly linear in the video card dept. (unlike with CPU's). You will get what you pay for, so I disagree that a 7950 is a much better value. It is a cheaper card but it is also a slower card. Pick your performance point.

EDIT - Another thing to factor in is if the OP intends to get a big LCD screen. LCDs don't look so great in non-native resolutions but high res gaming takes a bunch of vid card power. Try running a an nVidia 7600 at 1600x1280 resolution. 

Originally posted by xxthecorexx

Originally posted by rungard

i completely disagree with this statement. by the time dx10 becomes "standard" and is actually in a game that you'll be playing that $600  8800 card will be worth peanuts.

my 2 bits.. look into a sli motherboard, right now, get one 7800-7950 video card (that'll handle what you need for the next 6 months) after that.. if in another 6 months you need more graphics muscle, pair it. let that ride for another 6 months, by then dx 10 will be much more available, and prices on the dx10 cards won't be so insane.

riding the backside of the tech wave is much easier on your pocket than riding the front of it.

Yes DX10 is not in the picture but the 8800 series card is also currently the top performer in DX9 apps too. IMO DX10 is a minor consideration in the big picture.

I do agree that riding the back end of technology is easier on the wallet but some people may not want to make the sacrifices that come with it. They may want to play the latest and greatest titles with all the effects maxed. However I dont understand why you recommend buying an SLI board now if hes not going to use it until later. Not only would he have to buck up for an SLI (ideally 16X) but he may also have to go with a separate case and high end power supply to supply enough 12v current.  IMO buy what you need now, not what you might need later.

• calmoxcalmox Member Posts: 5

How much money are you trying to spend and what parts do you need? also what game do you plan on playing with that system. if you're playing wow you wont need a very powerful computer. if you plan on playing newer mmorpgs you may need something more powerful.

i'd check out www.silkyvenom.com and look in the hardware section. he had 1000, 1500, and 2000 dollar builds listed there that may help you decide what to get.

and if you plan on sticking with the 3800 processor i wouldnt bother getting a top of line video card.

hope my advice helps