Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Caribbean Online: Disney Announces Game Launch Details

Disney announces launch details of Pirates of the Caribbean Online.

Disney Online today announced details surrounding the launch of Pirates of the Caribbean Online, the highly anticipated massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) based on the popular film franchise. Scheduled to launch in spring 2007, Pirates of the Caribbean Online will allow players to set sail on their own adventure and interact with Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, Elizabeth Swann and other characters made popular in the movie franchise, as they embark on exciting quests in search of treasure and their own notoriety.
At launch, Disney Online will offer two options for Pirates of the Caribbean Online players - "Basic Access," a free, ad-supported section of the game that lets players jump right into the action, or "Unlimited Access" that provides access to the full game as well as premium features.

"The tremendous popularity of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise creates an exciting opportunity for our game," said Paul Yanover, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, Disney Online. "We feel our approach to the business model for Pirates of the Caribbean Online will attract and engage a broad base of players, encompassing both fans of the franchise and MMO gamers."
With Basic Access, all players can experience many of the game's compelling features. In addition, it allows advertising partners to associate with the brand through online ads and other interactive ad features that will not interfere with the gameplay experience. For a monthly subscription fee of $9.95, players will have unlimited access to all game content, advertising free. Unlimited Access will unlock features previously limited with Basic Access, allowing players to experience the game's full range of customization, game play and community interaction.

With Pirates of the Caribbean Online fans of the franchise will get to experience the swashbuckling action found in the films right on their computer. Players create and customize their own pirate, build and outfit their own ship, assemble a crew and embark on quests for adventure and treasure in an effort to become the Caribbean's most legendary pirate. Along the way, they will interact with characters made popular by the movies such as Will Turner, Elizabeth Swann and Jack Sparrow as they forge alliances with other players, hunt for buried treasure, battle evil undead forces, and face off against enemies on land and sea.

Pirates of the Caribbean Online, developed and published by Disney Online, is being produced to appeal to a broad audience ranging from teens to adults. The games website, www.PiratesOnline.com, includes additional information and in-game assets including screenshots and webisodes.

Read more about Pirates of the Caribbean Online here.

Comments

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    That game is a joke, right? They are not releasing it looking like that?! Little Big Adventure had better 3D!

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• royalsea3royalsea3 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Looks good to me, I like how you can recruit crewmembers and have on deck battles, and it looks like you'll be allowed to roam the deck which is a plus to Pirate lovers.
  • AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

They pushed developement pretty fast, its going to be interesting to see if they can release the game smooth or not.  Spring 2007?  How long has this game been in beta?  I didnt even know they started their beta testing yet.   

Not a ton of hope for this game really, although I cant wait for the next movie, this has cheap merchandise written all over it.  There are good points to it though, I think this game might help lead mature players into the carribean setting, and eventually to Pirates of the Burning Sea, which is looking out to be a great/unique RvR game.  It might help keep younger players from Pirates of the Burning Sea too, by attracting them to this game instead!   

I did like toontown online though so I might end up pleasantly surprised by this game. 

EDIT:  Just looking into it some more, I am almost positive this game isnt in beta yet...  They havent started accepting beta applications either.  A release in just a few months from now...??

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    I think I will pass on this one.

I miss DAoC

• Ra'veRa've Member Posts: 203
    Well looks like it will have part of the game free so ill definitely check it out looks like it has some promise as a fun game. I doubt it would be a game for a hard core raider or pvper though.
  • mrversemrverse Member Posts: 119
    i kinda think this is gonna be a kids game.. i dono think im gonna pass.. ill stick with toontown online thank you very much
  • HandsomeRobHandsomeRob Member Posts: 113

There is no way this game can be anywhere near ready for launch. PotBS has been in development for many years, and Voyage Century came from a released product oversea that has been going stong for some time.  Even with the amount of money Disney can invest in this, there still isn't enought time to design, implement, code, test, polish, and launch this Spring.

Best of luck to them though...

Mankind is not limited by imagination, but the courage to reach....

• jdvarmitjdvarmit Member Posts: 7
    Man, how can they be ready by Spring 2007? I visited the web site and it is kind of interesting. Definitely has the cartoonish look, maybe trying to capitalize on the WoW factor, but after I watched a video on developement I was scratching my head. They mentioned cut-scenes, this is an MMO, online, right? I am really curious how the cut-scenes will affect online gameplay, maybe no zone loading screens but some pre-rendered cut-scenes? Hmm.

Long Live "Pirates of the Burning Sea"!
  • ThonyThony Member Posts: 215
    Developer Diary #1 - The Virtual Reality Studio

Mike Goslin, Vice President of Disney’s VR Studio

December 5, 2006

After more than two years fully immersed in all things pirates, and not really seeing a whole lot of the sun, it's an exciting feeling to know that the game launch is on the horizon. Our team has put in countless hours and dozens of red-eyed, head-down, caffeinated nights, cranking out an incredibly deep and compelling online world. We're really just eager for MMO players and fans of the movies to finally experience Pirates of the Caribbean Online and see all of the work we've put in.

Toontown and Pirates of the Caribbean Online have a lot in common, but they're very different games. For one thing, Pirates is much more ambitious in design, scope, and attitude. It's based on the movie property, so we teamed up with the movie studio to weave characters, stories, creatures, and themes from the films into the game. We share everything from art assets to character storylines, and generally consult with them on all aspects of development. At the same time, we're focused on building a world that can stand on its own with new stories, characters, and environments so fans of the movies can come into the game and live their own adventure..............................

The whole concept of a MMO of Pirates of the Caribbean  really sounded cool, but after seeing/reading about what it really is gonna be like, i do not think it will stand any chance against some of the upcomm'n MMO titels like LotrO or AoC ect..might be a game for the younger kids that want to try some mmo for the first time. PotC should be a darkish looking game, not pirates you want to hug and say you look soooo sweet and lovely.

He' we never know maybe it's gonna turn out great, but for now it sure isn't looking great to me.....

• runedragonrunedragon Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Disney & MMO in the same sentence..........someone is on drugs and it aint me..............
  • AbhinandaAbhinanda Member Posts: 56
    No and im not sure how their going to be able to compete with PotBS. Altho it is somewhat a indie game and dont have the big budget etc of a proper game i think ill kick the ass of PoTCO any day without even looking at it properly. Maybe im being unfair but launching a MMO together with a movie and basing it on a movie franchise AND made by Disney doesnt really give the game alot of credibility.
  • IijsIijs Member Posts: 457

It's a game made for kids, and with a free version available (with ads) is should be very successful.

Kids + No credit card required = Bham!

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

To my understanding, the game is not meant to be your typical MMO in that you log in, level up, quest, craft, progress your character.  Imagine starting WoW or any other MMO at the max level and all the content at your finger tips so to speak.  It'll probably be a "fast food" MMO: cheap, kids can't get enough of it, adults occasionally love it, plenty of fun for those that enjoy it.  I like the style of the graphics, reminds me of Monkey Island, though the textures could be better.

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    WILL THERE BE RACOONS AND BEAVERS?

---

• MeonMeon Member Posts: 993

I guess the only reason why they're releasing it so early is to beat PotBS to the market..

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    LOL! Did you watch the trailor for this thing? And I thought Vanguard's animations sucked...

Joined - July 2004

• smartkidzsmartkidz Member Posts: 252
    Originally posted by runedragon

Disney & MMO in the same sentence..........someone is on drugs and it aint me..............
    Lol i find this hilarious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    =The best bash.org quote ever=
    Curt teh Juggler: our graduation ceremony was today, and right when some gamer nerd got his diploma, someone in the audience played the zelda "get item" music and he did the zelda spin-hold-out-item stance
    Curt teh Juggler: it was quite possibly the most amazing thing ever.

• Stardom00Stardom00 Member Posts: 4
    I won't bash the game but err.. Stick with the movies Disney.
  • jimmcqjimmcq Member Posts: 2
    There is a new wiki dedicated to Pirates of the Caribbean Online at http://PotC-wiki.com