Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hardware/Game Questions

I just have a few hardware questions.

1) If i have 2 gigs of ram, how much should i put toward page filing(using the harddrive) memory?

2) Would updating BIOS or motherboard drivers do anything very significant for performance?

3) In game, in my settings i only have one resolution option, is this normal?

4) I have an ATI x800 xl video card, i have the current display drivers installed, but would installing the whole catalyst software suite with the catalyst control center be better? Because right now I only have the Display Driver installed which says its for basic functionality?

5) In game when I am in a large group(think its 6 or 5 other players) there names line up on the left hand side of my screen, but there so big that they go underneath my chat box and i cannot even see some. I have a few other overlapping things wrong with my UI...is my UI not stacking correctly or are these bug/design errors that they are working on?

I have had the client since early Beta, something tells me that I should just uninstall my VG and reinstall it with the actual game dvd, i know i would have to wait hours of patching, but i feel like i'm missing something? help!

Comments

• wrkeechwrkeech Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Drumwiz

1) If i have 2 gigs of ram, how much should i put toward page filing(using the harddrive) memory?
    Usually 1.5 times the amount of your current RAM is recommended.

2) Would updating BIOS or motherboard drivers do anything very significant for performance?
    It is always a good idea to keep your BIOS and drivers current.

It is completely dependent on what your video card and your monitor can support.

4) I have an ATI x800 xl video card, i have the current display drivers installed, but would installing the whole catalyst software suite with the catalyst control center be better? Because right now I only have the Display Driver installed which says its for basic functionality?
    The Catalyst will cover all ATI cards of a certain family (i.e. Radeon, Fire, Wonder, etc)  If your going to swap an ATI video card with another ATI card of a different model, then get the Catalyst installed first.

5) In game when I am in a large group(think its 6 or 5 other players) there names line up on the left hand side of my screen, but there so big that they go underneath my chat box and i cannot even see some. I have a few other overlapping things wrong with my UI...is my UI not stacking correctly or are these bug/design errors that they are working on?
    The UI is nothing more than a set of XML files, what that means is that like a webpage... the pictures can and will overlap each other.  You may want to look into downloading another UI from vgsohinterface.com to see if you can get some screen space back.

I have had the client since early Beta, something tells me that I should just uninstall my VG and reinstall it with the actual game dvd, i know i would have to wait hours of patching, but i feel like i'm missing something? help!
    Your Beta version might be closer to the current code than what comes in the box.  Depends on how old your beta client is.

• DrumwizDrumwiz Member Posts: 217

Hmm didnt really answer my questions but thanks anyway...

Also does your Auto character select on your launchpad work? Where you can select you character underneath the play button? because mine doesent.?

• wrkeechwrkeech Member UncommonPosts: 116
    I didn't?  What did I miss?
  • AndirAndir Member Posts: 232
    Originally posted by Drumwiz

Page file... 1G.  You probably won't even touch it unless your doing Raytrace renders or somethiing.  Games will most likely not exceed your 2G barrier.  If they do, it's a memory leak in most cases.

BIOS update, not so much.  It will help with stability and features, but most of the time a BIO update is only needed if your hardware isn't working.  It's not going to give you 30 more FPS.

I don't think it's normal to only have one resolution, but like stated above, it really depends on the monitor and video card support more than game support.

Don't have ATI, and I don't know.

The UI you can move and rearrange.  You can also get new UIs at places like http://www.vgsohinterface.com/ that are more minimal (and less obtrusive).

You do not need to re-install if you have the Beta client.  Just patch it to the current build and you'll save yourself time.  There's no need to re-install.

Currently the select character doesn't work.